Mourinho comments about our season to L'Equipe

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, backtracking:
fecking hell, weren't you the one who posted my quote from long time back ignoring context and sarcasm? Not surprised though.

Even if you take it as serious post, he did reject the chance to play for 'boring one' :lol:

Rusholme Ruffian

Here is the thing, your first paragraph is media talk, none of it is factual. The only factual thing is that United made an offer that was accepted, the player had a contract offer that he considered and rejected.
Maybe I have missed this bit, but where is the evidence that it was accepted? I've heard that there was 'an offer on the table', but not seen anywhere that it was accepted and Inter were prepared to sell at that price. The Inter DoF chose his words very carefully: "we never declined any offer from Manchester United" - so are we to infer from that they would have accepted our initial low offer after all? There are lots of games that are played in a situation like this.

Rusholme Ruffian

fecking hell, weren't you the one who posted my quote from long time back ignoring context and sarcasm? Not surprised though.

Even if you take it as serious post, he did reject the chance to play for 'boring one' :lol:
ha ha, the post that you're referring to was a sarcasm free zone - even people at the time were asking you whether you were serious or not.

And yeah, it will be taken as backtracking if you state something multiple times in order to support your point and then pass it off as a 'joke' a few posts later.

roonster09

Scout
ha ha, the post that you're referring to was a sarcasm free zone - even people at the time were asking you whether you were serious or not.

And yeah, it will be taken as backtracking if you state something multiple times in order to support your point and then pass it off as a 'joke' a few posts later.
Of course, topic diverted from how Perisic rejected the club to whether the post was a joke :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maybe I have missed this bit, but where is the evidence that it was accepted? I've heard that there was 'an offer on the table', but not seen anywhere that it was accepted and Inter were prepared to sell. The Inter DoF chose his words very carefully: "we never declined any offer from Manchester United" - so are we to infer from that they would have accepted our initial low offer after all? There are lots of games that are played in a situation like this.
Fair enough, let's say that they didn't accept any offer. They let a player negotiate a contract and gave him the freedom to accept it and he rejected it. Also why are you mentioning a supposed low offer that only comes from the press?

Kapardin

The point is you don't have any clue why Perisic turned down the move, but it suits your narrative to say that it was because he didn't want to play for 'the boring one'. I seem to remember United dragging their heels interminably to even match the valuation that Inter put on him - that sort of shit is not going to make a player feel valued.
As far as I remember, Perisic was itching to move. It was when we delayed upping the bid from 48 million to the 50 million Inter wanted that the deal fell through. Naturally after that Jose said maybe the player didn't want to come, he didn't know why--- after all, Jose was still employed by the club, he couldn't say openly Ed screwed him. Though he did later on talk a bit more openly when he was all but begging for the sack.

Perisic also went along the lines of "I'm happy at Inter" but that's standard talk when the deal didn't go through of course.

Makaveli1

End of the day his 300m worth of signings failed though...he's right with some stuff but would be nice to see him take responsibility for that unless woody chose them.

Rusholme Ruffian

Fair enough, let's say that they didn't accept any offer. They let a player negotiate a contract and gave him the freedom to accept it and he rejected it. Also why are you mentioning a supposed low offer that only comes from the press?
Look, I understand that a lot of stuff that is written in the sports press is bullshit - most of it in fact during transfer silly season - but there was a heck of a lot of smoke that summer if there was no fire. Loads of different sources all appeared at the same time with news of the bid that we had made for Perisic - many of those sources from Italy. Yes, you can choose to disbelieve it all, but it smells fishy to me.

Rusholme Ruffian

As far as I remember, Perisic was itching to move. It was when we delayed upping the bid from 48 million to the 50 million Inter wanted that the deal fell through. Naturally after that Jose said maybe the player didn't want to come, he didn't know why--- after all, Jose was still employed by the club, he couldn't say openly Ed screwed him. Though he did later on talk a bit more openly when he was all but begging for the sack.

Perisic also went along the lines of "I'm happy at Inter" but that's standard talk when the deal didn't go through of course.
Well that's exactly my take on things too - but it's hard for some people to be objective about things where Mourinho is involved.

JPRouve

Scout
Well that's exactly my take on things too - but it's hard for some people to be objective about things where Mourinho is involved.
This has nothing to do with Mourinho, which kind of shows where your own objectivity is, you are just trying to put blame where the obvious conclusion would lead to a player taking a personal decision. We don't always have to blame Mourinho or the club.

Rusholme Ruffian

This has nothing to do with Mourinho, which kind of shows where your own objectivity is, you are just trying to put blame where the obvious conclusion would lead to a player taking a personal decision. We don't always have to blame Mourinho or the club.
It's quite difficult to discuss this issue without involving Mourinho - particularly given that this is a Mourinho thread.

roonster09

Scout
It was obvious.

JPRouve

Scout
It's quite difficult to discuss this issue without involving Mourinho - particularly given that this is a Mourinho thread.
No, it's not. It's typically the type of transfer that shouldn't be used for or against Mourinho/the club because they both agreed on going after him, the player decided to not come which happens all the time to all clubs. We as fans may discuss whether we agree with that transfer but that's a subjective opinion and should never be used against anyone.

Rusholme Ruffian

No, it's not. It's typically the type of transfer that shouldn't be used for or against Mourinho/the club because they both agreed on going after him, the player decided to not come which happens all the time to all clubs. We as fans may discuss whether we agree with that transfer but that's a subjective opinion and should never be used against anyone.
Good luck coming to this thread and expecting to discuss the Perisic transfer and NOT mentioning Mourinho. I mean the very post that I responded to in the first place was @roonster09 gloating about Perisic not wanting to play for Mourinho....very objective.

JPRouve

Scout
Good luck coming to this thread and expecting to discuss the Perisic transfer and NOT mentioning Mourinho. I mean the very post that I responded to in the first place was @roonster09 gloating about Perisic not wanting to play for Mourinho....
My point is that we shouldn't discuss the Perisic transfer.

roonster09

Scout
Good luck coming to this thread and expecting to discuss the Perisic transfer and NOT mentioning Mourinho. I mean the very post that I responded to in the first place was @roonster09 gloating about Perisic not wanting to play for Mourinho....very objective.
:lol: Yeah and it had nothing to do with him rejecting the move, somehow Jose fans twisting that to "Woodward Vetoed the deal".

Kemizee

It's incredible how stories and contexts changes from time to time.

I remember vividly during Jose's second summer transfer window here when he bought matic, lukaku and lindelof the general narrative from media and pundits was that he had no more excuse not to deliver, even Ryan giggs openly predicted that the tittle race would be between the Manchester clubs but fast forward two years later and we were lucky to finish second and we were never considered good enough to compete?

Jose mourinho has won a lot in football but his time here was a failure and 90% was all on him. His tactics and pattern of football was horrendous.

Why did he buy sanchez when our left side of attack was already filled with attackers who were performing at the time? what was his tactics against Sevilla(home and away),Valencia, derby county,west ham (away)?what was he trying to achieve when he started pogba in one of the most shitiest starting line up I have ever seen against Valencia(away) after he openly said it's would be a test for who starts against liverpool?or when he started mctominay at center back against westham?his tug of war with the board wore everyone at the club down.

I also dislike how he's trying to make pogba the face of the bad attitude he's campaigning around,wasn't that what he did at Chelsea and madrid? the same Chelsea team that won the title the next season and the same Madrid team that won 4 champions league in 5 years? yes the club has it's own issue like everyother club but Jose was an even bigger issue,there's a reason he never last more than two seasons in a club.

I have been watching football long enough to know when a team is underperforming because of players or because of manager.
We are yet to get a good manager who can coach his team to play cohesive football since Fergie,solkjaer is a nice guy who says and make a lot of nostalgic statement but we need a good coach or else Jose will continue dropping this interviews on how it was all the club and the players but not him heck even Moyes is trying to save face,we need a good manager and we need it now.
This makes a lot of sense!

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Well, like most people (myself included no doubt) you start with a layer of facts, then add your own subjective take on it - i.e. 'he's a shite manager', 'he was a failure'. It's quite possible to look at those bare facts and come up with a different take - I mean the sheer amount of trophies that he's won would seem to be evidence against him being 'shite', and some might argue that 2 trophies and a 2nd place finish in 2 seasons (after taking over a squad of players totally unsuited for his style of play) does not represent a failure.
"He's a shite manager" is obviously the conclusion drawn after looking at the facts of his tenure. Using his past trophies won is nothing but an appeal to accomplishments fallacy.

We are talking about the facts of his tenure at United, not Inter, Madrid or Chelsea. We aren't talking about "a layer of facts". We are talking about a vast amount of indisputable evidence, even person quotes, that he did not live up to expectations and was ultimately responsible poor results. Facts like him stating it was his team and he was equipped to compete for the title, but failing to challenge and then less than a year later deflecting all the blame from himself. He won 2 cups widely described as not that important and finished 6th, 2nd (miles behind City), 6th. Save for the Europa league he's been diabolical in Europe and the playing style was been widely criticized and ineffective during his tenure. Not only that but he spent £400M+ on players already considered deadwood (what's the percentage of his signings you would keep). With that said, the only way a reasonable person can conclude Mourinho wasn't shite for United is if they willfully choose to ignore the facts.

Well yeah, in the same way it is possible to have an unbiased view that is different to your take. But ultimately I only got involved in this cos you accused a different poster of being biased, stated that you were just a casual observer, and then proceeded to rip Mourinho to shreds. Just felt a little hypocritical, that's all. No biggie.
It was based on his back and forth with another poster where he willfully ignored facts, not because he had a different view. You should have took the time to actually read what I was referring to before you responded. You would have saved a bunch of keystrokes.

Last edited:

Rusholme Ruffian

"He's a shite manager" is obviously the conclusion drawn after looking at the facts of his tenure. Using his past trophies won is nothing but an appeal to accomplishments fallacy.

We are talking about the facts of his tenure at United, not Inter, Madrid or Chelsea. We aren't talking about "a layer of facts". We are talking about a vast amount of indisputable evidence, even person quotes, that he did not live up to expectations and was ultimately responsible poor results. Facts like him stating it was his team and he was equipped to compete for the title, but failing to challenge and then less than a year later deflecting all the blame from himself. He won 2 cups widely described as not that important and finished 6th, 2nd (miles behind City), 6th. Save for the Europa league he's been diabolical in Europe and the playing style was been widely criticized and ineffective during his tenure. Not only that but he spent £400M+ on players already considered deadwood (what's the percentage of his signings you would keep). With that said, the only way a reasonable person can conclude Mourinho wasn't shite for United is if they willfully choose to ignore the facts.
dear oh dear. Just cos you class 2 trophies, a 2nd place finish, and our best spell since Fergie retired as 'shite' does not mean that it is shite...that's just your opinion!

It was based on his back and forth with another poster where he willfully ignored facts, not because he had a different view. You should have took the time to actually read what I was referring to before you responded. You would have saved a bunch of keystrokes.
Not at all - I don't care whether the poster in question was biased or not, it's the hypocracy of accusing someone else of bias whilst proclaiming your own objectivity, and then in the next breath saying that it is 'indisputable' that Mourinho was a shite manager for us. Do you not see the irony? How can it possibly be neutral, or objective to tell people that unless they see things your way they are wrong? The 'layer of facts' that I talked about are the results - everything else is subjective and up for debate. Innit?

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
dear oh dear. Just cos you class 2 trophies, a 2nd place finish, and our best spell since Fergie retired as 'shite' does not mean that it is shite...that's just your opinion!
Honest question. What's the point of this back and forth if you are going to literally ignore large sections of my posts? You obviously hold Mourinho in high regard and nothing will change your mind, and that's fine. But let's not waste each others time if we are going to be willfully ignorant.

Not at all - I don't care whether the poster in question was biased or not, it's the hypocracy of accusing someone else of bias whilst proclaiming your own objectivity, and then in the next breath saying that it is 'indisputable' that Mourinho was a shite manager for us. Do you not see the irony? How can it possibly be neutral, or objective to tell people that unless they see things your way they are wrong? The 'layer of facts' that I talked about are the results - everything else is subjective and up for debate. Innit?
It's hypocrisy if I'm also ignoring facts to support my subjective view, which I'm clearly not. Where have I displayed bias? Drawing a conclusion based on an overwhelming amount of evidence is not bias.

I posted more facts that just the results. @JPRouve and @roonster09 provided facts about transfers. Another poster posted facts about average point totals. We have facts about the amount of money he spent on the squad. The evidence against him is more than just a "layer of facts". It's a pile.

Rusholme Ruffian

Honest question. What's the point of this back and forth if you are going to literally ignore large sections of my posts? You obviously hold Mourinho in high regard and nothing will change your mind, and that's fine. But let's not waste each others time if we are going to be willfully ignorant.
Because you are missing the point massively - it doesn't MATTER what you pull up as evidence of his being 'shite' with United - it is still just your opinion! There is literally no evidence that you can produce that proves inconclusively that he was 'shite' - you're still just left with your opinion as others may disagree.

For what it's worth I could get on board with 'disappointing', 'underwhelming', and even 'toxic' (when it came to season 3) - but 'shite' smacks of someone that has a bloody strong opinion based upon their own take on his achievements. I said all along that it's something we all do so it's not like I'm attacking you for it, just pointing out that him being 'shite' is not fact, it's opinion.

It's hypocrisy if I'm also ignoring facts to support my subjective view, which I'm clearly not. Where have I displayed bias? Drawing a conclusion based on an overwhelming amount of evidence is not bias.
We're seriously going around in circles here. The 'facts' that you have provided do not provide an 'overwhelming amount of evidence' toward him being 'shite' for us - it includes a European trophy, a domestic trophy and a 2nd place finish with a squad that required totally overhauling from LVGs time - other people might conclude that actually that's not too bad in the circumstances. Therefore if you take that evidence and come up with a hypothesis as extreme as 'he was shite' that doesn't come across as being particularly objective. I don't know what more I can say.

I posted more facts that just the results. @JPRouve and @roonster09 provided facts about transfers.
Ha, a thinly veiled 'hey, come and help me stick the boot in lads' - nice.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Because you are missing the point massively - it doesn't MATTER what you pull up as evidence of his being 'shite' with United - it is still just your opinion! There is literally no evidence that you can produce that proves inconclusively that he was 'shite' - you're still just left with your opinion as others may disagree.

For what it's worth I could get on board with 'disappointing', 'underwhelming', and even 'toxic' (when it came to season 3) - but 'shite' smacks of someone that has a bloody strong opinion based upon their own take on his achievements. I said all along that it's something we all do so it's not like I'm attacking you for it, just pointing out that him being 'shite' is not fact, it's opinion.
You are really arguing semantics. Good grief.

Even still: strong opinion != bias && drawing a conclusion != bias

And no, its not its not my "take on his achievements". They are verifiable facts about his tenure at United.

We're seriously going around in circles here. The 'facts' that you have provided do not provide an 'overwhelming amount of evidence' toward him being 'shite' for us - it includes a European trophy, a domestic trophy and a 2nd place finish with a squad that required totally overhauling from LVGs time - other people might conclude that actually that's not too bad in the circumstances. Therefore if you take that evidence and come up with a hypothesis as extreme as 'he was shite' that doesn't come across as being particularly objective. I don't know what more I can say.
I just said that and It's due to your willful ignorance like I said before. Your responses to the Perisic transfer are pretty much on par with our "discussion" and you happen to be the common denominator. Funny that.

Ha, a thinly veiled 'hey, come and help me stick the boot in lads' - nice.
Simply giving posters credit for facts they posted (and their names are on the same page). Basic etiquette. With that said, your posts in the last few pages speak for themselves. No help required.

Nucks

RT History Department
Agendas, agendas everywhere. Jose could say water was wet and there would be an uprising against that opinion. He’s been gone for a long time now and still people refuse to admit the issues are far, far deeper than the manager.
People are *****, what can you do?

Rusholme Ruffian

You are really arguing semantics. Good grief.

Even still: strong opinion != bias && drawing a conclusion != bias

And no, its not its not my "take on his achievements". They are verifiable facts about his tenure at United.

I just said that and It's due to your willful ignorance like I said before. Your responses to the Perisic transfer are pretty much on par with our "discussion" and you happen to be the common denominator. Funny that.

Simply giving posters credit for facts they posted (and their names are on the same page). Basic etiquette. With that said, your posts in the last few pages speak for themselves. No help required.
Goodbye

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The problem with coaches of the calibre of LVG and Mourhino being unable to work with Woodward is that it puts off not only prospective future top coaches but also top pros in other areas, including players. A series of toxic dressing rooms. The Glazer United is a poisoned chalice.

tombombadil

Mourinho has been spot on.

Much as some people will have you believe he is past it, he was just premier league champion only a few years ago and has been the most successful manager in the post fergie era.

The problems at United, as many have already said, are not the manager. They run deeper than that.