Mourinho comments about our season to L'Equipe

Eddy_JukeZ

From the transcript above.

"Coach, please, if you want to critize me, don't critize me in front of other players." "Why?", I asked him. "Because you're attacking my status"

Wonder what player that is. Shaw perhaps?

Enigma_87

You know who
We prioritized the EL, because top 4 was out of our reach. It wasn't likely we'd finish in the top 4.

It wasn't like top 4 was in reach, but we punted it aside to focus on the EL.
In the 34th round we were 1 point off top 4 with 2 goals less GD.

Our run in was:

Swansea (h)
Arsenal (a)
Spurs (a)
Palace (h)

wouldn't say out of reach.

Josep Dowling

Spend the 2nd highest budget. Finish 2nd. 19 points off the 1st . Great achievement Mourinho!!
That’s why I take everything he said in jest. Yes we have problems but he was given a boat load of money to fix the issues and he’s effectively wasted.

We can moan all day about who he did and didn’t want to sign each player under his tenure but I think it’s clear he wanted Matic, Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez. All of which I wouldn’t be upset if they left today.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How did he improve it mate? We finished 6th and we're out of all cups. Did that improvement warrant 3 years contract for a manager without credentials?

How did our game improve against Cardiff and Huddersfield compared to what we had under Jose?
By literally getting better results, with the same squad of players. Fecking hell. Why are you doubling down here? You're making yourself look silly.

We all have doubts about Ole but the simple fact remains. He got more out of this squad of players than Jose did, this season. Which is basically the brief for any caretaker manager. Can you improve results, using the existing squad.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

"Coach, please, if you want to critize me, don't critize me in front of other players." "Why?", I asked him. "Because you're attacking my status"

He doesn't say that at United to be fair. I can genuinely see it being Ronaldo.

acnumber9

Thank you for this. Is he actually criticising us for having high ambitions?
"With ambitions that are in accordance with his past but not his potential as of today" - how else should this statement be construed?
I would interpret it as saying that United currently aren’t good enough to achieve what the fans want us to. Either the players or the way the club is run. I don’t think there can be any doubt we aren’t good enough to win leagues and Champions Leagues.

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
Mourinho still would have had his melt down one way or another. He was doing his old trick of warring with his star player no matter who came in. Remember he fell out with Hazard at Chelsea, Ronaldo at Madrid. Its what he does. He has to be the biggest ego in the room.
Gotta take that with a grain of salt, it's always a frenzy of news most made up.
CR has said more than once after Mourinho's time at Real, that he would be pleased to be coached again by him, and CR isnt exactly someone who would say that if it wasnt true.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I would interpret it as saying that United currently aren’t good enough to achieve what the fans want us to. Either the players or the way the club is run. I don’t think there can be any doubt we aren’t good enough to win leagues and Champions Leagues.
But how else can a club try to match its ambitions, other than by giving a manager lots and lots of money to spend? Which is exactly what they provided Jose. An enormous transfer budget and the best paid players in the league.

I think Pocchetino could justifiably moan about a club with a mismatch between their ambitions and the reality of the way the club is run but it's a bit rich for Mourinho to make this sort of complaint.

Enigma_87

You know who
By literally getting better results, with the same squad of players. Fecking hell. Why are you doubling down here? You're making yourself look silly.

We all have doubts about Ole but the simple fact remains. He got more out of this squad of players than Jose did, this season. Which is basically the brief for any caretaker manager. Can you improve results, using the existing squad.
Jesus.

It's good that the season ended if you thing our worst form in 50 years is improvement on results with the same squad players.

Classical Mechanic

Gotta take that with a grain of salt, it's always a frenzy of news most made up.
CR has said more than once after Mourinho's time at Real, that he would be pleased to be coached again by him, and CR isnt exactly someone who would say that if it wasnt true.
Hazard said the same but acknowledged that their relationship broke down at Chelsea. Pogba will probably say the same in a few years time.

Maticmaker

Like the dead parrot in John Cleese's sketch "Mourinho's time has expired" (at United), why do we keep resurrecting it?

Jose's claim that coming second in the PL with the squad he had was one of his best achievements, does with hindsight seem valid, but don't forget he added key players who by an large didn't perform for him earlier this season. With perhaps the exception of David Moyes we can look back at certain positives in both Mourinho's and LvG's time at OT they both won silverware for a start, but what is the point?

Isn't the problem with our fans and the club itself in that it spends too much time looking back, wasn't one of Fergie's best qualities was that once a game had finished he made sure the focus moved instinctively to preparing the next one... oh look I've done myself!

Lets look forward and give Ole a chance, he's getting criticised for other peoples teams and he still hasn't made one signing yet, lets give him a chance!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
ok, so if Ole starts the next season 7 wins 5 draws 5 losses he should be booted off according to the same criteria ?
He could certainly feel a little hard done by if he was sacked because - unlike Mourinho - that opening run of results won’t happen after two full seasons in charge and £390 million invested in the squad.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He could certainly feel a little hard done by because - unlike Mourinho - that opening run of results won’t happen after two full seasons in charge and £362 million invested in the squad.
But at the same time, it wouldn't be unfair due to the way the season ended. @Enigma_87, your question is highly dependent on context, what we have done this summer, how we played during that run of games and how everyone acted in and around the team.

Enigma_87

You know who
He could certainly feel a little hard done by if he was sacked because - unlike Mourinho - that opening run of results won’t happen after two full seasons in charge and £390 million invested in the squad.
But at the same time, it wouldn't be unfair due to the way the season ended. @Enigma_87, your question is highly dependent on context, what we have done this summer, how we played during that run of games and how everyone acted in and around the team.
So regardless of manager credentials we should give all 300+ million and at least 2 and a half years?

So far no one have given reasonable answer on why should we back Ole? Based on 15 games?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Agreed. I'm really just trying to put to bed the idea that a) Mourinho didn't deserve the sack and b) Ole didn't get better results out of his squad this season.

To be honest, I kind of think Ole is doomed regardless. The shitty end to the season has burned through the goodwill he picked up during his brilliant opening run. We all know the squad needs a root and branch overhaul. Which carries with it a very real likelihood of a slow start to next season and then where are we? A manager who was always a long-shot to succeed, starting a season poorly, after finishing a season atrociously. It would take a brave and long-sighted CEO to continue to back him for the long term. Neither of these are qualities you'd associate with Woodward.

LiquidSnake

Thank you for this. Is he actually criticising us for having high ambitions?
"With ambitions that are in accordance with his past but not his potential as of today" - how else should this statement be construed?
You're welcome ! My translation isn't perfect but you can take it this way like you can take it more like "United is a great club, they want to be great like in the old days but they aren't giving themself the means to be that great while they have the capacity".

When I read the whole interview, you feel José wanted to be clear enough to get his message clear while cryptic enough to not blame or critic directly anyone.

Reactions: KM

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
So regardless of manager credentials we should give all 300+ million and at least 2 and a half years?

So far no one have given reasonable answer on why should we back Ole? Based on 15 games?
We the fans? Or we the owners?

The owners should back Ole because they decided he was the best man for the job. And picking up 2 points per game, with an evidently deeply flawed squad, is a reasonable return so far.

The fans should back him because - having been given the job - he can only be judged properly when he's had a chance to make the squad his own. Just like every other football manager.

Kapardin

For about 10 games, and 7 of them weren't with a convincing style (bar the first 3).

By that logic, Jose went on that epic unbeaten run at home in his first season which was an incredible record despite the number of draws (where we actually battered teams but didn't win). I would class that a better achievement.

JPRouve

Scout

I only answered your question about sacking. But I don't think that we should back anyone to the tune of +300m, I strongly believe that managers need to show their ability to improve players before being allowed to spend massive amounts, so ideally Ole should be given the minimum needed, not the maximum affordable. If that makes sense.

redchamp

Rooney.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
For about 10 games, and 7 of them weren't with a convincing style (bar the first 3).

By that logic, Jose went on that epic unbeaten run at home in his first season which was an incredible record despite the number of draws (where we actually battered teams but didn't win). I would class that a better achievement.
Our unbeaten home run under Jose was impressive. I agree. Although it was undermined by our shitty away form.

I've no idea what point you're making, though.

Ekeke

:lol:

When you put it like that, it's quite hilarious. But what would you have him say? He's been ridiculed all over for having been a dinosaur, a has-been shite manager, and then when the team shows its true colours and the scatterbrained approach of our board is exposed, is he supposed to say something different to what he's been saying all along? He still has the ambition to work at the highest level and he will fight to do so. No problem with that IMV.
The true colours that were shown was Ole's good run with the team. It showed that despite it being Mourinho's team, he did a piss poor job of getting the most out of the players.

JPRouve

Scout
@Enigma_87 an other point and probably the most important point. I do not believe that in terms of results Mourinho definitely had to be sacked, a team, a manager can have a rough time without having to take drastic decisions. The problem with Mourinho is that his own attitude made the situation impossible, he provoked his own sacking. A manager is supposed to be an unifying figure particularly during difficult times while Mourinho is divisive particularly in difficult times.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
@Enigma_87 an other point and probably the most important point. I do not believe that in terms of results Mourinho definitely had to be sacked, a team, a manager can have a rough time without having to take drastic decisions. The problem with Mourinho is that his own attitude made the situation impossible, he provoked his own sacking.
His own attitude and his track record. If there was any doubt where we were heading without sacking him, you just need to look at his previous appointments.

Rusholme Ruffian

I only answered your question about sacking. But I don't think that we should back anyone to the tune of +300m, I strongly believe that managers need to show their ability to improve players before being allowed to spend massive amounts, so ideally Ole should be given the minimum needed, not the maximum affordable. If that makes sense.
I asked a question relating to this on a different thread but so far no-one has answered. Which of our players can we honestly say improved during 5 months of coaching/management by Ole and his staff? Pogba certainly did initially - but I don't think that anyone could argue that was anything more than him suddenly deciding to put in a bit effort to 'prove' Mourinho wrong, and by the end of the season he had well and truly reverted to type. Rashford had a brief spell where he looked better - but has been as bad as I've ever seen him over the last couple of months. Shaw won player of the year, but arguably his form was better under Mourinho in the first half of the season. Lindelof looked good under both managers. Other than that Fred looked OK, but given that he wasn't even picked by Mourinho anything was going to be an improvement on nothing. Martial looks more disinterested under Ole than he even did before, and Lukaku - who you might have expected to benefit from being managed/coached by an ex-striker looks like his confidence has gone completely. Lingard appalling, Sanchez appalling, Young worse than he's ever been. And then really that only leaves McTominay, who was the guy that Mourinho identified and plucked from the reserves himself.

Am I missing anyone? And if not then isn't that slightly worrying?

Sylar

If he was insinuating that we beat PSG cos Pogba didnt play... I would agree :nervous:
For that game, we needed luck (Buffon spilling the ball, the penalty) but also whilst PSG looked a lil comfy, they werent given much time. The midfield we had imo could have only been improved in terms of hard work if we had Herrera fit for the game. In terms of ability, pogba would have been better than all, but it would have been negated by him not putting a press which the three who started (and finished) did.

Also a game where our attack worked hard too which helped.

I agree with the comment that Jose talking about finishing second, he might be using the wrong word. Overachievement / overperformance might be apt given the position, but at the same time, looking at context, he spent the second highest amount of money and I think the position (and gap with City) reflected this.

Jose seems a better pundit than manager right now. He gives great insights and seems refreshed, whereas at United, he seemed bitter (maybe for a reason).
Strangely I think Jose first season was the best one despite finishing sixth. We had more hope, given the two cups, and also because we got the CL, it looked like we were gonna get griezman and push on with something more exciting.

JPRouve

Scout
I asked a question relating to this on a different thread but so far no-one has answered. Which of our players can we honestly say improved during 5 months of coaching/management by Ole and his staff? Pogba certainly did initially - but I don't think that anyone could argue that was anything more than him suddenly deciding to put in a bit effort to 'prove' Mourinho wrong, and by the end of the season he had well and truly reverted to type. Rashford had a brief spell where he looked better - but has been as bad as I've ever seen him over the last couple of months. Shaw won player of the year, but arguably his form was better under Mourinho in the first half of the season. Lindelof looked good under both managers. Other than that Fred looked OK, but given that he wasn't even picked by Mourinho anything was going to be an improvement on nothing. Martial looks more disinterested under Ole than he even did before, and Lukaku - who you might have expected to benefit from being managed/coached by an ex-striker looks like his confidence has gone completely. Lingard appalling, Sanchez appalling, Young worse than he's ever been. And then really that only leaves McTominay, who was the guy that Mourinho identified and plucked from the reserves himself.

Am I missing anyone? And if not then isn't that slightly worrying?
Six months, in the middle of the season where there is little time for actual individual work and where the training plans have been done by someone else months prior to Ole's appointment? No it's not worrying, the worry is that Ole is an unknown quantity.

okhuenchik

He also kept United back by being against the very thing we need ie a DOF.
This one's not on him. He's been gone for a fair few months now and we still don't have a DOF. Woodward sold us a lie and you keep running with it.

Kapardin

Our unbeaten home run under Jose was impressive. I agree. Although it was undermined by our shitty away form.

I've no idea what point you're making, though.
I was saying Jose got more out of the squad than Ole ever did before he went bust. That unbeaten run is probably the max domination you could achieve with this mediocre squad (peak Lukaku could deliver the goals Ibra did if you argue it was mainly due to Ibra) and I consider that the best use of our squad since 2013.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think the implication around the PSG result is that Jose thinks we performed that way because Pogba was unavailable. Besides that I don't think you can really argue with anything he's saying to be fair.
Besides that? He's 100% right on that as well. If Pogba was playing there is no way we'd of got that result in Paris

Rusholme Ruffian

Six months, in the middle of the season where there is little time for actual individual work and where the training plans have been done by someone else months prior to Ole's appointment? No it's not worrying, the worry is that Ole is an unknown quantity.
Well each to his own - I find it worrying personally. 6 months is a long time, and a previous training plan shouldn't be a barrier to a player improving. Are we saying that it is impossible for a manager to come in halfway through a season and significantly improve the performances of his players? Or have our expectations really dropped that low?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I was saying Jose got more out of the squad than Ole ever did before he went bust. That unbeaten run is probably the max domination you could achieve with this mediocre squad (peak Lukaku could deliver the goals Ibra did if you argue it was mainly due to Ibra) and I consider that the best use of our squad since 2013.
So our best run under Mourinho was slightly better than Ole achieved in his first 5 months in charge, using Mourinho’s squad of players. Still not sure what point you’re making here?

Denis79

During the winter they gave out one of the biggest contracts ever to Sanchez.
Yeah we know we can afford it. On top of that we got rid of Zlatans wages but my thinking wasnt about what we got before our top 2 finish.

We finished 2nd and invested minimal cash for a club our size the season after, despite being miles off City. My thinking is that the Jose expected to build on that team, while the owners were happy with a team able to finish top 4, hence him talking about ambitions. If that's the case, that they cut cash the second they believe the team to be good enough for top 4, we'll never become better than the recent Arsenal team.

promisedlanchiao

Jose should have been kept on as manager. Any football club with aspirations of success doesn’t hire an experienced, proven and still world class manager who remember, had won the title 2 seasons ago in 2014-15 only to sack him due to half a bad season where he wasn’t backed by the board to any extent.

What we should have done was to have a simple conversation with him and ask him about who he wanted to get rid of and sign provided it was a maximum of 6 in, 6 out and promised him that it would be done. Sure, players like Martial and Pogba most likely would have been at the top of the Out List, but its not as if they are lighting things up right now and in fact, Ole seems to not fancy Martial either.

Honestly, I believe that if we had just let him manage fully without Woodward interfering, like we let Fergie because we were practically forced to due to his greatness, he would have built on his first two seasons where progress was undeniably made and maybe not win the league, but at least challenge for it within a few seasons and bring us a few domestic cups along the way.

My reason for believing this? Its Jose Mourinho, undoubtedly in the top 5 greatest managers from the 21st century due to his reputation of never failing in any job he took until he came to the poisoned chalice for managers that is the current Manchester United. Yes, the man did say things about the club that we found very insulting, but that’s the way he is. He talks about Chelsea and Madrid without a care in the world these days too.

Anyway, now we have Ole, who is a club legend. However, I have reservations on him which push through the massive fondness I have for him that I never had with Mourinho (the reservations, that is). Unfortunately, we all know that Ole has done pretty much nothing in his managerial career apart from win a few league titles at Molde, which is not enough at a club like United. Would you hire the manager of Greek champions PAOK? Swiss champions Young Boys? No. Mourinho has a pedigree as a manager Ole could never even dream of matching, and knew how to motivate players who cared about the club, hence my earlier point.

Of course, Ole is now the manager and has to be backed as well, and my support for him next season will be as, or possibly even more vociferous than it was for Mourinho due to his club legend status. However, to be brutally honest, I just cannot see him succeeding with this toxic group of players who only know how to give shallow apologies after awful collective performances. He doesn’t have the reputation, motivational skills for egotistical players and evidently, the tactical nous that Mourinho has to cover up for the weaker players’ weaknesses. There’s a reason why Mourinho was the manager who lasted longest at United after Fergie.

Should the board end up doing the 6 in, 6 out approach with him, I feel that it would go a long way to helping him succeed but again, I feel like he doesn’t have the general managerial skills that Jose has. When all is said and done though, when the dark day comes that another manager, a club legend this time is sacked by United, I and all the fans of MUFC will know that it wasn’t his fault and adore him for the player and man that he is.