Mourinho expects '2 or 3' summer signings, rules out January window activity, says he's been backed

red thru&thru

Also, amazing how none of the media have mentioned how Jose said the club HAVE backed him! Not really that surprised.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I do agree that we have to accept big fees. It is where the game here has gone and if you don't pay someone else will. It makes your eyes water, but you just have to brace yourself.

Ss3bba

Liverpool were happy to pay a premium for Van Dijk when there was a chance City were interested....I heard they had flown a medical team to Southamptyon to wrap it up immediately

they did the same with Naby Keita, paying extra to secure him in
I don't know why you keep on bringing Liverpool into this. Everyone knows that they struggle to sign players. VVD was needed last summer and they've over payed for him because he was on the verge of joining another team. Our transfer policy is far superior than Liverpool. Just because we haven't got any new toy announced you're all going OTT.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
His negative comments are just pissing me off these days. It's the best we get rid of him in the summer, with his recent comments you just know the usual Jose meltdown is around the corner, I don't know what he want to achieve with that? His signings won't improve us in the summer? Why not, maybe sign the right players or improve us without throwing money at everything. And the players who will go aren't that essential either. He is acting like we lose Ronaldo again.

All the talk about money annoys me, stop looking at City or PSG ffs. It's not like we are the third best team behind those 2. We can outspend anyone else and still play the worst football out of the Top6, so the manager should shut up and look at himself.

red thru&thru

Don't you think we are now at risk of just signing someone to make sure we get the headlines for a couple of weeks rather than it not mattering, just sign the right players, but we are building a team. Not being used by some players to line their own pockets as we are Manchester United.
I’m not worried. The only reason we may push for signings is if our fans keep on whining.

You got to understand why we brought in the like of Ribalta and re-structured our scouting. We will be soon enough trying to unearth our own talents again but may take a year or so until we see the fruits of this labour.

Water Melon

When there is booing of a substitution, as there has been twice now I think, is that at the player going off, the player coming on, or the manager making the sub?

We booed Moyes and LVG. The trendline is towards LVG's second season. I'm hoping we finish 2nd and get a Cup and it will keep the baying of the wolves quiet so to speak but if we get 3rd of 4thand trophyless and playing unattractive football in some fans mind then I can confidently say there will be chants of 'Attack Attack Attack', booing after bad results and Jose out chants. The atmosphere is already quite toxic.
If we finish below second and continue playing shite, then fans are entitled to voice their concerns. I am sure Jose is mature enough to do what is best for the team even in toxic atmosphere. If he gets offended and fecks off, well there is not much we can do about it. He has not been a saint either, with his comments and remarks.

fellaini's barber

I'm more worried that he says its only 2 or 3 player leaving,there's more players than that I'd like to see leave

Bestietom

If there is no activity in the January transfer window, I don't expect any trophies this season, and a fight for top 4 again. We need a winger and a midfielder in this window, at least.

SER19

Why do people do this every January?

Torturing yourselves and criticising the club or acting like its someone shocking complacent behaviour to not be signing in January.

Go get your kicks elsewhere. This isn't FIFA.

Barring scholes and players who then joined later we have signed one player in January in 11 years.

Why are people acting like there's something unprecedented going on??

red thru&thru

If we finish below second and continue playing shite, then fans are entitled to voice their concerns. I am sure Jose is mature enough to do what is best for the team even in toxic atmosphere. If he gets offended and fecks off, well there is not much we can do about it. He has not been a saint either, with his comments and remarks.
Agree.

DomesticTadpole

His negative comments are just pissing me off these days. It's the best we get rid of him in the summer, with his recent comments you just know the usual Jose meltdown is around the corner, I don't know what he want to achieve with that? His signings won't improve us in the summer? Why not, maybe sign the right players or improve us without throwing money at everything. And the players who will go aren't that essential either. He is acting like we lose Ronaldo again.

All the talk about money annoys me, stop looking at City or PSG ffs. It's not like we are the third best team behind those 2. We can outspend anyone else and still play the worst football out of the Top6, so the manager should shut up and look at himself.
People on here are quite happy to keep spouting on about us being the richest club in the world when it suits them. He is being realistic. We cannot compete with the oil clubs who will just discard players like clothes that have gone out of fashion each year. I do think we have to scout who we buy better.

finneh

Pretty much stating the obvious but it's good that people have been told we aren't going to sign an entire new team like some seem to be suggesting.

I believe Mourinho is going to look for a top level attacking player in the Dybala mould, along with either a central midfielder and a left back or two central midfielders (dependant on Shaw). I imagine Darmian, Carrick, Ibrahimovich, Fellaini and Mkhitaryan will leave.

That's absolutely the right approach in my view and should have us spending at least £150m which will again have us improving. If anyone believes we can comfortably go out and spend £300m on 6-7 players they're living in lala land (eg the post below)

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Pretty much stating the obvious but it's good that people have been told we aren't going to sign an entire new team like some seem to be suggesting.

I believe Mourinho is going to look for a top level attacking player in the Dybala mould, along with either a central midfielder and a left back or two central midfielders (dependant on Shaw). I imagine Darmian, Carrick, Ibrahimovich and Fellaini will leave.

That's absolutely the right approach in my view and should have us spending at least £150m which will again have us improving. If anyone believes we can comfortably go out and spend £300m on 6-7 players they're living in lala land.
Milan should be a good example of not getting too many players in one go. Better getting a few quality players than loads bargain basement players. Also free signings might not have a fee but are usually on sky high wages and that is taken into account while they do their budgeting.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Pretty much stating the obvious but it's good that people have been told we aren't going to sign an entire new team like some people seem to be suggesting.

I believe Mourinho is going to look for a top level attacking player in the Dybala mould, along with either a central midfielder and a left back or two central midfielders (dependant on Shaw). I imagine Darmian, Carrick, Ibrahimovich and Fellaini will leave.

That's absolutely the right approach in my view and should have us spending at least £150m which will again have us improving. If anyone believes we can comfortably go out and spend £300m on 6-7 players they're living in lala land.
Yet it was no problem to borrow £660m in 2005 when our revenue was much less.

£300m isnt a huge amount there days.

Especially as we have had only a very small capital spent the last few years.

It's not as we are like pool who had to spent over £100mil on a new stand and commit £50m to a new training ground.

Or Spurs who will spend £800m+ on a stadium.

DomesticTadpole

2-3 players? We need a RB, LB, CB, CM & RW maybe even ST
It could also be that he doesn't want to undermine his team by telling the world that 6 or 7 of them are not up to much. It might just be a throw away remark, like most people say a few or a couple? As @finneh said it is better to buy a few quality players at a time. It makes it easier to blend them in.

SER19

If there is no activity in the January transfer window, I don't expect any trophies this season, and a fight for top 4 again. We need a winger and a midfielder in this window, at least.
out of interest, if Chelsea, Tottenham and arsenal fail to make January signings do you think that means they will not win a trophy either? If not I'd be curious to know your logic.

if so I'd be curious to know who you think will win the trophies on offer. City clean sweep?

the trophy comment is very arbitrary as if not signing in January will be decisive in the two trophies we could feasibly win- the fa cup which we have won once in 14 years (?) and the champions league. If we sign players will you expect these trophies, or one of them?

deafepl

Next season we are going to get 2-3 more players, but we will also lose 2-3 players. There won't be a dramatic improvement, we have to do things in time

Not sure what he meant. Fellaini, Carrick, Zlatan and Mata is leaving at end of the season if not renewed. United has the option to trigger Herrera, Blind and Luke's contract for 1 year more but if United don't want to trigger them, they could lose them for free or trigger them so they could sell them in the market before at end of season 2018/2019 unless players agreed to sign extensions contract with us.

He said "If we sign a midfielder in the summer, it's to replace Michael Carrick. To improve our midfield we would have to sign two." if we believe what he said about getting 2-3 more players next season, that means our 2/3 signing will be midfielder? Jorginho/Andre Gomes and Ozil, he expects to spend big money on one signing every season, is it already hinted at Dybala? and we are going to lose 2-3 players that don't include a player who is leaving on as a free agent but sell players only?

He also said there won't be the dramatic improvement but that doesn't mean we can't overhaul the squad.

Realistically, there are players we have to get rid - Mhki, Blind, Darmain and put them in the transfer window. Fellaini and Mata look like they are leaving next summer. Zlatan and Carrick leaving at end of the season. So we will likely to lose 6-7 players

Sell:

Mhki - 30m
Blind - 20m
Darmin - 20m

Sold = 70m sales

Also assuming we have about 150m to spend on before sales.

Buy:

Ozil - free
Jorginho/Gomes 30m
Dybala - 140m
Meunier - 30m

Buy = -200m + 70m sales = £130m net spending

Promote Fosu-Mensah and Pereira to United's squad

Ozil, Jorginho/Gomes, Dybala, Meunier, Pereira and Fosu-Mensah - new 6 players arrival in the squad. Mhki, Blind, Darmin, Mata, Fellaini, Carrick and Zlatan - 7 departure from the squad.

How United's formation lineup look like next season

DomesticTadpole

out of interest, if Chelsea, Tottenham and arsenal fail to make January signings do you think that means they will not win a trophy either? If not I'd be curious to know your logic.

if so I'd be curious to know who you think will win the trophies on offer. City clean sweep?

the trophy comment is very arbitrary as if not signing in January will be decisive in the two trophies we could feasibly win- the fa cup which we have won once in 14 years (?) and the champions league. If we sign players will you expect these trophies, or one of them?
This forum can be very bi-polar. It is either we have to win everything or I don't care about winning I just want attractive football. Win a couple of games and we are world beaters, lose a couple and we are relegation fodder.

finneh

If we finish below second and continue playing shite, then fans are entitled to voice their concerns.
We're on course to finish the season on 82 points, whilst scoring 82 goals. This is compared to finishing on 66 points under Van Gaal whilst scoring 49 goals.

Let's not be dramatic and make statements like "continue playing shite", we're scoring more than Spurs who everyone has held us as a bastion of entertainment and up until last week the same was true of Liverpool. We're also more importantly above both comfortably in the league.

We're going through a bit of a sticky patch with 3 poor results on the bounce, but that happens to every team, every season. Remember Chelsea last season drawing with Swansea, losing to Liverpool and then getting thumped by Arsenal?

Let's wait until after May before declaring everything and everyone shite, as in actual fact we've shown a real positive improvement and things are looking good.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Board don’t trust Mourinho anymore. Not gonna invest on him.
Cool story bro.

United barely spent anything in January during SAF's tenure either, guess they lost confidence in him as well.

Bestietom

Sorry mate unless you see different than I see. We are playing S@hit atm and dropping points like rain. You don't win anything that way. I think by adding just 2 players would make us much stronger.

----------Matic --Jorginho/Fabinho

Malcom--------Pogba-------Martial

----------------Lukaku----------

I would use this formation if we were to add 2 of these 3 players. But then I'm not the manager, and the fans know S@hit.

Water Melon

We're on course to finish the season on 82 points, whilst scoring 82 goals. This is compared to finishing on 66 points under Van Gaal whilst scoring 49 goals.

Let's not be dramatic and make statements like "continue playing shite", we're scoring more than Spurs who everyone has held us as a bastion of entertainment and up until last week the same was true of Liverpool. We're also more importantly above both comfortably in the league.

We're going through a bit of a sticky patch with 3 poor results on the bounce, but that happens to every team, every season. Remember Chelsea last season drawing with Swansea, losing to Liverpool and then getting thumped by Arsenal?

Let's wait until after May before declaring everything and everyone shite, as in actual fact we've shown a real positive improvement and things are looking good.
Agree, lets wait until the end of the season. As for shite, it is true recently. Early in ybe season we were doing well and everyone wss rightfully praising Mou. In any case, hopefully, we will improve and finish at least second and go deep in CL.

SER19

Sorry mate unless you see different than I see. We are playing S@hit atm and dropping points like rain. You don't win anything that way. I think by adding just 2 players would make us much stronger.

----------Matic --Jorginho/Fabinho

Malcom--------Pogba-------Martial

----------------Lukaku----------

I would use this formation if we were to add 2 of these 3 players. But then I'm not the manager, and the fans know S@hit.
Personally think current form is making you jumpy and think January signings are only worthwhile if they are players we'd sign in summer. And most clubs don't sell those players in January for the same reasons we want them.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Fair fecks to that.

He's not saying anything very controversial (or wrong) there.

It's interesting, though: In the minds of most fans (whether they liked José or not), he wasn't brought in to slowly and patiently add pieces to the puzzle, getting United back up top by taking baby steps.

But the above is probably the soundest approach under the circumstances. I just hope he's the right man to preside over it all.

kps88

Don't you think we are now at risk of just signing someone to make sure we get the headlines for a couple of weeks rather than it not mattering, just sign the right players, but we are building a team. Not being used by some players to line their own pockets as we are Manchester United.
Maybe. The Falcao and Di Maria signings felt that way. But if Jose wants a big name player, we're right to back him.

Castia

Two or three players isn’t going to cut it is it? We need 2 new full backs a midfielder and a right winger minimum....probably a striker too if Zlatan leaves which I think he will.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
January is an opportunity market, good organizations only use it if they have to deal with injuries or a bargain present itself.

el3mel

Why is he persisting on this slow overhaul of the squad ? The only reasonable reason is the board is putting some restrictions on the budget available for players. We'll probably get one top class player +75m and the rest will be about 30-40m 2 signings. He's saying we'll lose some players as well, so the improvement won't be big enough.

Simply not something to be optimistic about considering our opponents will also go and buy massively as well.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why is he persisting on this slow overhaul of the squad ? The only reasonable reason is the board is putting some restrictions on the budget available for players. We'll probably get one top class player +75m and the rest will be about 30-40m 2 signings. He's saying we'll lose some players as well, so the improvement won't be big enough.

Simply not something to be optimistic about considering our opponents will also go and buy massively as well.
I'm absolutely fed up of it as well. Imagine only getting 160 million to spend on new players. We have no chance.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
Simple fact is Mourinho is hired to Rebuild the club and unless you provide him with all the tools to do so, he might finish 3rd with a squad which has quality of finishing at best 5th but competing with PSG/CITY/Barca/Real etc with poorer squad and poor investment is asking him to perform miracles.
Are you talking about the league?

Oldyella

I'm more worried that he says its only 2 or 3 player leaving,there's more players than that I'd like to see leave
Yeah. Signing 2 or 3 to improve the first team is fine, but I would be more than happy for us to move on a lot more than that and let the younger players coming through fill their squad places. Hell that 2 or 3 could be Carrick, Zlatan and Fellini who are retiring or out of contract.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
People on here are quite happy to keep spouting on about us being the richest club in the world when it suits them. He is being realistic. We cannot compete with the oil clubs who will just discard players like clothes that have gone out of fashion each year. I do think we have to scout who we buy better.
Understandable but the obsession with City annoys me a bit. There are ton of other clubs outthere who don't have the money we have and are working better. Like I said when you read some comments here you would think we have the 3rd best team in the world after PSG and City. For all their money PSG and City haven't won a CL yet or even reached the final. We are way too busy talking about money these days.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Imagine only getting 2-3 players each summer while we actually need 6.
Well what do you want? You can't spend 80 million on a player and then get another five.

Three players is more than enough to turn this squad around. 160 million if spent well could have us winning the league next year. From this summer if we could have signed Walker, (Who I hate) Salah and Lukaku we could be challenging for the league IMO. Don't complain at "only" spending 160 million. It breaks my heart to see football get so shit.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Right back, midfielder, winger, striker. Can't see any other positions being added. We need an actual fullback, we need a midfielder because as soon as Pogba is out we're fecked, we needed two strikers last summer as Lukaku was only ever going to replace what we already had with Ibra, and we don't have a single proper wide player.

We need four though, three won't cut it. City will spend heavily again.

Also hesitant about Malcolm. Might be the next Ronaldinho but isn't he 20?

red4ever 79

What a load of crock. So let me guess this straight. Carrick is gone, Ibra more than likely to go. Afro man is going. We are only going to sign 2/3 players so having lost two cm presumably we will replace them. WHAT about the fullbacks we need? What about the wingers we need. Jesus Christ if Jose and Ed cannot fathom where we are short then expecting another season next year of p*ss poor negativity

Sing you a song

Board don’t trust Mourinho anymore. Not gonna invest on him.
Your talking rubbish .
Mourinho is being very clever he is making it clear to the board that the squad is nowhere near good enough so basically they need to throw a lot of cash or get used to being a top 4 club only