Mourinho expects '2 or 3' summer signings, rules out January window activity, says he's been backed

Bestietom

Personally think current form is making you jumpy and think January signings are only worthwhile if they are players we'd sign in summer. And most clubs don't sell those players in January for the same reasons we want them.
Yes, current form is making everyone jumpy mate. Is it not making you jumpy. Do you not think we need a right winger and should play a 3 man midfield.

el3mel

Well what do you want? You can't spend 80 million on a player and then get another five.

Three players is more than enough to turn this squad around. 160 million if spent well could have us winning the league next year. From this summer if we could have signed Walker, (Who I hate) Salah and Lukaku we could be challenging for the league IMO. Don't complain at "only" spending 160 million. It breaks my heart to see football get so shit.
I don't understand what's your problem. I said we need to change the policy of adding one marketable player +75m plus 2 or 3 supportive signings because this is a very slow overhaul considering other players are going to leave so the improvement won't be that massive in this case. We need to spend the money on six transfers at least, RB,LB, 2 CMs, a number 10 and a striker considering the likes of Fellaini, Carrick, Zlatan and maybe one of Mikhi or Mata can leave next summer. We'll be left short in many positions so spending 160m on 3 players isn't enough at all.

Also considering the mighty City with the mighty Pep who everyone is drooling on needed to spend 210m to win the league this season, then yes it's debatable 150-160m aren't that enough anymore, especially for a squad like ours, who lacks any proper senior players in the attack and with lots of deadwood on the bench with no use.

pascell

Fecking Glazers. So we have gone from 4 players to 2-3 now. We need a LB, an RB, a #10, a RW and 2 CMs (or atleast 1). How the feck are we to improve our squad with just 2-3 players?

Atleast it better be Dybala, Ozil and a midfielder for anyone to get optimistic over 3 signings. Though I suppose we need a FB.

We can still afford to buy 5 players with 4 in the price range of 50-70 mil and one marquee (150 mil?). The Glazers are being tightfisted as we have a lot of mediocre players on high wages.
How do you know we're not signing two in January?

Sing you a song

Right back, midfielder, winger, striker. Can't see any other positions being added. We need an actual fullback, we need a midfielder because as soon as Pogba is out we're fecked, we needed two strikers last summer as Lukaku was only ever going to replace what we already had with Ibra, and we don't have a single proper wide player.

We need four though, three won't cut it. City will spend heavily again.
Absolutely right and scariest thing is most of those that are going will raise no money .ie
Zlatan , Fellaini , Carrick ,so just replacing these to stand still will cost 200 million
Then what will we get for Darmian 20m ? If his replacement is top class we will need to spend another 30m on what we get for him .

So without increasing squad numbers we are at net spend of at least 230m

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We need more than 3 signings to compete against City imo.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Absolutely right and scariest thing is most of those that are going will raise no money .ie
Zlatan , Fellaini , Carrick ,so just replacing these to stand still will cost 200 million
Then what will we get for Darmian 20m ? If his replacement is top class we will need to spend another 30m on what we get for him .

So without increasing squad numbers we are at net spend of at least 230m
I think the only real replacement out of those lot is Fellaini. Carrick never plays, Zlatan hasn't looked match fit yet, so hasn't contributed this season. Fellaini will need replacing if he leaves though.

Penalty

Looks like technical players is a priority. If Mata and Ibra leaves there won't be a lot of 'magic' left.

Why not break the bank and try to get Neymar - money + Martial (could maybe interest PSG that he's a young french talent? Neymar will probably not stay that long in Ligue 1?

But it's probably impossible.

Dybala would also be interesting.

Talyaani

It looks like someone from above had some words with him

His constant sulking,moaning and howling is just irritating, it would be better if he spends his energy on how to figure out why after almost two years at the job and 300m spend we still struggling managing 3-4 passes when under pressure ?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
As long as the board are backing Jose 100% then I'm behind him all the way. If they're holding out on him however...

Dante

Average bang
This isn't the way caftards would do it on Football Manager. They want their six signings with fancy names, goddammit!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
By the look of things the Glazers are happy to do Arsenal. Invest only to get CL spot.

Players we are going to lose- i think he means players who will leave on free: Mata, Mop Head and Blind.
This has always been the worry since the day those Parasites took ownership of the club.

RuudTom83

Take no notice of what managers say to the press, it is not in ther interest to tell the truth and why should they.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Yes we can. I keep seeing posts like it is impossible and also the United tax or current market is too inflated etc but we could easily have got..

Mendy/Sandro last year 50/60m
Semedo 35m
Davison Sanchez 35m
Fabinho 45m
Weigl 40-50m
Werner 40m
Mahrez 50m
Lacazette 50m

I also think we could have got Dembele a few years earlier for 50-60m before Barca struck. There will be talents like that which will pop up and we can make the deals happen.. for decent prices. Wait too long and then everyone is in for them.

Imagine instead of signing Lukaku/Lindelof.. We get Semedo (Portuguese - no brainer of a signing imo), Mendy, Sanchez, Mahrez and Werner in addition to Matic. If we had cleared out deadwood and maybe accumulated 40-50m in fees... looking at net spend of 200m which isn't that crazy in modern market and for a side looking to revamp and get to top.. Real did similar a decade ago as did City.

DDG
Semedo Bailly Sanchez Mendy
Matic Pogba
Mahrez Mata Martial
Werner

Aim for 2nd and for a side looking to play good football.. year after add a Marquee attacking mid, competition for Matic/Mahrez. Right now I feel lack of planning is leading to short term signings which aren'
Even ideal fit and by wasting time.. areas of strength such as GK and right back will become weaknesses once De Gea finally leaves or Valencia retires etc.
It's pretty obvious that Leipzig would not let go of Werner for 40 million. They refused to sell Forsberg for 44.6 million and only let go of Keita because he had a release clause. Timo Werner would cost closer to 100 million than 40 million.

Had Man Utd entered a bidding war for Mendy, Semedo, Sanchez and Lacazette then the prices would've gone up significantly.

Most of these players have been uninspiring at their new clubs anyway.

Garethw

A couple of quality additions in the January window would have been fantastic for next season.

Six months with the club before the summer would have had them fully integrated and raring to go for next season.

2-3 huge summer signings and 2-3 youngsters/squad additions in the January window would be a good template for squad acquisitions.

I’m guessing that the well is a little dry at the moment. There’s no way Mourinho wouldn’t spend if there was money available.

Garethw

Your talking rubbish .
Mourinho is being very clever he is making it clear to the board that the squad is nowhere near good enough so basically they need to throw a lot of cash or get used to being a top 4 club only
My worry is that the owners are more than happy with that scenario.

They will only worry when the fan base shrinks and the sponsorship deals dry up.

cyberman

Nothing wrong with what he said.
2/3 new signings would be more than enough if its a LB, no 10 and a RW.

fellaini's barber

Yeah. Signing 2 or 3 to improve the first team is fine, but I would be more than happy for us to move on a lot more than that and let the younger players coming through fill their squad places. Hell that 2 or 3 could be Carrick, Zlatan and Fellini who are retiring or out of contract.
Carrick should have been moved on like 3 years ago, Zlatan's resigning was pointless, I don't really mind Fellaini for a squad role, Herrera,Shaw,Rojo and Mkhi I wouldn't mind seeing leave. We need to do a lot better than this 3 players in 3 players out business every summer to get back to where we should be. We also need better first team players than Rashford,Mata, and Lingard in attack if we're going to compete no matter how much people want to blame the manager for our poor attack. We need upgrades on players like Valencia and Smalling, would have put Jones there but he's improved massively this season,his best yet for us I think. We should have started this process long ago but we just seem very lethargic about everything transfers whether in or out. Our persistence with average,past it or inconsistent players over the years is a big reason we are falling behind.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Carrick should have been moved on like 3 years ago, Zlatan's resigning was pointless, I don't really mind Fellaini for a squad role, Herrera,Shaw,Rojo and Mkhi I wouldn't mind seeing leave. We need to do a lot better than this 3 players in 3 players out business every summer to get back to where we should be. We also need better first team players than Rashford,Mata, and Lingard in attack if we're going to compete no matter how much people want to blame the manager for our poor attack. We need upgrades on players like Valencia and Smalling, would have put Jones there but he's improved massively this season,his best yet for us I think. We should have started this process long ago but we just seem very lethargic about everything transfers whether in or out. Our persistence with average,past it or inconsistent players over the years is a big reason we are falling behind.
You're right, I think this summer we should get rid of Carrick, Zlatan, Fellaini, Herrera, Shaw, Rojo, Mikhitaryian. Upgrade on Mata, Rashford, Lingard, Valencia, Jones and Smalling. Once we have gotten in replacements for those 13 players we might finally have a bit of progress.

Acole9

Outstanding
Why do people have a hissy when all that's talked about is two or three signings in the summer. There's nothing wrong with that at all, do people seriously want the club to make six signings and unbalance the squad even further?

Von Mistelroum

Sounds depressing. He just comes across as completely negative lately and I think that if we don't sign any players in Jan, we'll fall out of the top 4 before the season ends. With no CL next year we'll find it harder to attract those 'marquee players' too. Could be a long, long decline we're seeing.

SER19

Yes, current form is making everyone jumpy mate. Is it not making you jumpy. Do you not think we need a right winger and should play a 3 man midfield.
Yeah think we need a right winger and a three man midfield for sure. Think if it doesn't happen in January it's not a catastrophe once we get in right in summer market. I also fancy that we'll hit a good run of form at some stage before the end of the season too.

Smores

I'm not usually one to agree with the massive overhauls people want but these statements worry me. If the club are holding out then we are going to struggle to compete in this market. We need to do more than just replace Carrick, Ibra, Fellaini we need to be upgrading gaps in our squad and improving on the failed transfers (Mkhi, Darmian etc).

We can only hope a lack of January signing indicates that our targets are only available in the summer and not incompetence or budgetary constraints.

Camilo

Bullshit. Both the board and Mourinho know we have to patient with the rebuild.
There is no rebuild, it's done. He just needs to get his finishing touches in the door and get us playing better.

Quite why he wouldn't go full out next month for all the players he wants I don't know.. Let's get on with it! The league is gone this year, and some additions would only help our cause in the cups and the push for top 4.. Then everyone hits the ground running (and with no excuses!) next season - a season I think everyone (from Jose, to the board, to the fans to the press) reckons we should be seriously challenging in.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Three purchases in the summer seems about right (CM, RW, Fullback), plus Ozil on a free.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The level of mental gymnastics on display in here is hilarious.
I love it how all these people talk as if they have a personal hotline to Mourinho or actually attend the board meetings. It really is laughable!

Why do people have a hissy when all that's talked about is two or three signings in the summer. There's nothing wrong with that at all, do people seriously want the club to make six signings and unbalance the squad even further?
Yeah why not, if it is what we need....which it is. And how do you know it would unbalance the squad??

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Maybe. The Falcao and Di Maria signings felt that way. But if Jose wants a big name player, we're right to back him.
There's nothing wrong with a big name as long as it is the right big name. The motive has to be right for the team.

Acole9

Outstanding
I love it how all these people talk as if they have a personal hotline to Mourinho or actually attend the board meetings. It really is laughable!

Yeah why not, if it is what we need....which it is. And how do you know it would unbalance the squad??
Well I don't for certain, no one does. How often though have you seen a club make a large flurry of signings and it being a success?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Understandable but the obsession with City annoys me a bit. There are ton of other clubs outthere who don't have the money we have and are working better. Like I said when you read some comments here you would think we have the 3rd best team in the world after PSG and City. For all their money PSG and City haven't won a CL yet or even reached the final. We are way too busy talking about money these days.
I do agree, my last point about scouting is for that point. We are starting to let agents run our transfer business for us. I do not mind paying agents fees for the player who will take us to the next level, but not all to one particular agent. That is lazy business to me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not just about matching City though. We can only go so far on our revenues, we have to keep to certain limits. City are (maybe purposely) inflating the market so it costs everyone more and more until it gets to a point where no-one is left to compete. Players like Kyle Walker and John Stones paved the way for Virgil Van Dijk costing 75m. Many clubs already can't keep up and even we can't do it forever.
It's inflating for everyone though. Like city we will also get more for our players. And like the fees our revenue is growing big time. And as of now we tend to spend as much as them or thereabouts in recent times.

settembrini

Can someone post the quote where Mourinho talks about us not signing anyone in January? I see a lot of people talking about it but I want to know what his actual words were, was it a 'definitely not' or 'probably not' etc.

Also we clearly need to get rid of more than 2-3 players. He made a blunder last summer by only shifting Rooney and letting all the rest of the deadwood remain. Making the same mistake next summer will cost him.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I’m not worried. The only reason we may push for signings is if our fans keep on whining.

You got to understand why we brought in the like of Ribalta and re-structured our scouting. We will be soon enough trying to unearth our own talents again but may take a year or so until we see the fruits of this labour.
I wonder if there are non competes for scouts. E. G. Players on previous clubs radar that aren't of a certain profile can't be suggested by the scout. Would sound impossible to enforce as anyone can suggest a player.

Thus a new scout should have a list from day 1. Where time might be required is a list not known by their previous club.

Jig1234

It could also be that he doesn't want to undermine his team by telling the world that 6 or 7 of them are not up to much. It might just be a throw away remark, like most people say a few or a couple? As @finneh said it is better to buy a few quality players at a time. It makes it easier to blend them in.
You are not wrong. But I think our issues also go beyond just recruitment of players. Mourinho needs to find ways to get more of a tune from the squad. I don't see him coaching or improving a lot of the players he has. Not many are thriving or showing consistency, which makes me worry that signings alone won't make a difference if they are not coached properly or playing a brand of football that allows them to demonstrate their abilities nothing will change.

Alabaster Codify7

"there won't be a dramatic improvement"

For Christ's sake, Jose. Can't you at least feign positivity?
Remember when Moyes said about Sunderland last January - "I want to bring players in, I'd be lying if I said they'd make a difference" or similar.

Sensei

Supports
Dortmund
You are not wrong. But I think our issues also go beyond just recruitment of players. Mourinho needs to find ways to get more of a tune from the squad. I don't see him coaching or improving a lot of the players he has. Not many are thriving or showing consistency, which makes me worry that signings alone won't make a difference if they are not coached properly or playing a brand of football that allows them to demonstrate their abilities nothing will change.
A lot of people miss this point. Jose is not getting the best of what he has currently - truth be told. We could splash the cash on a marquee forward but it only papers over the cracks as we would be back to square zero when that marquee player loses form/is injured. We haven't seen the best of Mkhitaryan, Mata, Pogba, Herrera, Rashford and Martial in an attacking sense.

dichinero

"there won't be a dramatic improvement"

For Christ's sake, Jose. Can't you at least feign positivity?
Remember when Moyes said about Sunderland last January - "I want to bring players in, I'd be lying if I said they'd make a difference" or similar.
The good old days are here again