Mourinho expects '2 or 3' summer signings, rules out January window activity, says he's been backed

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For now. At some point the TV revenues will top out and sponsors will reach their limits but City/PSG can keep on inflating prices forever.
We'll see once we get there. As of now, we're one of the 2/3 biggest spenders around in world football and show no sign of letting up.

dichinero

Indeed. Some think we're signing a £75M+ player each year against his will. Mourinho's said himself he makes a list of targets, gives it to the board and goes on holiday. We've got 7 of the 8 names he wanted.
Well, every club manager in the world gets 100% of what they ask for apart from us. It must be our board's fault that AM got banned and Inter were making ridiculous demands

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don't care. We mostly make poor signings anyway so maybe we're better off spending nothing for a while.
Pogba
Bailley
Matic
Lukaku

All very good signings

Mykytarin
Lindelof

Jury still out!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well we have Goretzka, Sanchez and Ozil who could all be acquired on a free transfer. Which would leave us with still a lot of money to play with. We could sign a LB and a RW. Move, Rashford or Martial up top to replace Zlatan and let Sanchez have the left wing.

Say we pay them 15 million signing on bonus each, that equals £45 million. Usually, that wouldn't buy any of those players. So if we really want to compete with City we can this summer. We could simnifically improve our squad this summer.

Lawman

Even Pep wanted four fullbacks and got three. In the end he converted Delph to LB.
He already had Kolarov Zabaleta Clichy he bought Walker and Mendy for around £100m and paid way over for Danilo in my opinion.

Lawman

Well we have Goretzka, Sanchez and Ozil who could all be acquired on a free transfer. Which would leave us with still a lot of money to play with. We could sign a LB and a RW. Move, Rashford or Martial up top to replace Zlatan and let Sanchez have the left wing.

Say we pay them 15 million signing on bonus each, that equals £45 million. Usually, that wouldn't buy any of those players. So if we really want to compete with City we can this summer. We could simnifically improve our squad this summer.
If only it works like that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We don’t need loads of signings next summer.

These market realities mean we should be a it patient with Shaw and look to spend wisely.

I think a top forward, midfielder and full-back will take the game up a level. We may even get away without a full- back if Shaw steps up. We can then re-integrate Fosu-Mensah as right-back competition. We will also look at re-integrating Pereira, so will not need more than one midfielder.

The things is, we could still spend £200m+ to get three top players. If we went after Dybala at £140m or so, we would need to be very creative to get much change out of 200.

amolbhatia50k

His goal return to games is magnificent throughout his career and his age profile is also ideal.
He'll need to be even more to be the proper main #9 at a club like United. Top clubs have strikers like RVN, RVP, Rooney, Aguero etc. spearheading the attack.

Devil may care

We don’t need loads of signings next summer.

These market realities mean we should be a it patient with Shaw and look to spend wisely.

I think a top forward, midfielder and full-back will take the game up a level. We may even get away without a full- back if Shaw steps up. We can then re-integrate Fosu-Mensah as right-back competition. We will also look at re-integrating Pereira, so will not need more than one midfielder.

The things is, we could still spend £200m+ to get three top players. If we went after Dybala at £140m or so, we would need to be very creative to get much change out of 200.
I don't think we'll see those 2 back to be honest, Pereira in particular I think will remain in Spain. As for Shaw, I guess but it's hard to have much faith in actually trusting a season to him, it's one thing if he was competing for the spot with a top LB but starting out with him as the first choice LB is underwhelming.

RooneyLegend

Alex Ferguson
How did he do it? How do Juve compete at the top of the game, how did Monaco beat PSG to the league title? How are Napoli going head to head with Juve? How do Bayern manage to be at the top of the game... Mind you our financial disadvantage is no where near the size it would need to be for us not to compete.

Devil may care

How did he do it? How do Juve compete at the top of the game, how did Monaco beat PSG to the league title? How are Napoli going head to head with Juve? How do Bayern manage to be at the top of the game... Mind you our financial disadvantage is no where near the size it would need to be for us not to compete.
I think the biggest difference is we are not competing with just one team like those leagues are, we are competing with the strongest top 6 that has existed in a league in the last 20 years, and we don't have the amount of cannon fodder teams either as seen by the struggles agaisnt Burnley and Southampton this season.

Champagne Football

I think Jose might throw a few fits to try and get Bale in the summer but the board will probably discourage that idea. Rose or Sessegnon will be only business in Jan.

My 3 muppet summer signings I guess would be Dybala, Weigl and anyone of Zaha, Pulisic or Malcom to bring more competition for places on the wing where we're very weak currently. I'd take Johnny Evans back too if the chance arose at the right money.

AshRK

Maybe he has to change his ways of he is getting restricted budget. Rather than spending whole summer chasing a star player like dybala for 120m , why not buy mahrez and ozil and then use remaining to buy a midfielder , rb and one backup striker.

Trust me 3 players will not solve our issue but I still think we will get 5 players which would.solve most of the issue. But Jose has to be ruthless, no more of carrying mediocre players like darmian and must stop over rating average players like young and fellaini. He must also be smart in showing more trust in Luke shaw and other academy players.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't think we'll see those 2 back to be honest, Pereira in particular I think will remain in Spain. As for Shaw, I guess but it's hard to have much faith in actually trusting a season to him, it's one thing if he was competing for the spot with a top LB but starting out with him as the first choice LB is underwhelming.
We need to take chances on our young, if anything, that should be an obvious ‘positive’ of financial restrictions.

Stacks

So no signings in January and 3 maximum in the summer window? Looks like we’re about to go another season without challenging.
Looks like most of the transfer threads can be shuttered now. Muppet complete mental obliteration.

And just one marquee signing and two midfielders coming in to replace Carrick and Fellaini and Mhki, while City strengthen again, PSG strengthen again then its easy to see that we are in a new era of state owned clubs dominating the EPL and CL which United will patiently try to survive and hope that FFP gets reformulated to counter this--there was a notable criticism of FFP here.

We'll see which fans are still left after this drought and who the gloryhunters are.
so dramatic. If we get 3 new signings, then that's 10 new signings which is essentially a whole new 1st team. Miki is the only one that is a certified flop so we may as well replace him. I don't see many examples of managers buying an entirely new 1st team around. If you can replace an entire 1st 11 with your signings, why is it not possible to challenge? Do you need to buy a whole new first 11 and then 7 subs before you can be expected to mount a reasonable challenge?
Also City and PSG cannot buy everyone. calm down please. We will e fine with 3 extra players.

Devil may care

We need to take chances on our young, if anything, that should be an obvious ‘positive’ of financial restrictions.
They have to actually be good enough to take the chance on though, I think Gomes in a couiple of years looks like he'll be that sort of player, I think Axel is but we have stocked heavily in defense which hampers his chances. The two we are talking about, not sure I see them as having enough to be a factor at United, Pereira's attitude is questionable and he's not stand out enough at any role, while TFM is so incredibly raw.

Kapardin

so dramatic. If we get 3 new signings, then that's 10 new signings which is essentially a whole new 1st team. Miki is the only one that is a certified flop so we may as well replace him. I don't see many examples of managers buying an entirely new 1st team around. If you can replace an entire 1st 11 with your signings, why is it not possible to challenge? Do you need to buy a whole new first 11 and then 7 subs before you can be expected to mount a reasonable challenge?
Also City and PSG cannot buy everyone. calm down please. We will e fine with 3 extra players.
Zlatan is done and Mkhi is a flop. So that's only 5 signings in Bailly, Lindelof, Matic, Pogba and Lukaku that are Jose's. We need 2 FBs, a #10, a RW and a CM despite those 5. It is not about the number of signings we need to make, its' the fact that Fergie loyalists are getting old, the van Gaal buys are shite, that we need to almost buy a starting XI.

RooneyLegend

I think the biggest difference is we are not competing with just one team like those leagues are, we are competing with the strongest top 6 that has existed in a league in the last 20 years, and we don't have the amount of cannon fodder teams either as seen by the struggles agaisnt Burnley and Southampton this season.
You overrate how good these teams are. Top sides in Serie A are no inferior to those in the prem. You don't see a proper top side struggling against those sides.

Devil may care

You overrate how good these teams are. Top sides in Serie A are no inferior to those in the prem. You don't see a proper top side struggling against those sides.
I don't think so, the top 6 in the PL is pretty strong right now with the chance of 5 of them being in the Quarter Finals of the CL as well. The other thing is that the teams lower down in our league are all well funded, in the other top European leagues they spend next to nothing on their squads so you can have 10 opponents every season that you only need to pull the shirt on to beat.

Devil81

We need to invest in every window to catch City up, they wont be holding back even though they are hammering the league.

Sanchez will sign for them and that will put us further behind.

If we dont invest in this window we're in danger of losing Champions league football. This current team needs a lift, too many players arent up to the task.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Have the flu coming on. A bit delerious, so I read the thread title as "said he's been sacked". Hm, taking it very cooly, then? A kind of Trump moment, in which he is fired, but just carries on? Seriously, though, it's been an interesting year. Very important methinks to bear in mind that in another season, this set of results, this set of players, this points total would have us at the top of the league. But of course there is our baldy friend, Catalan nationalist, freedom-loving Pepiola, funded by dirty money, in place at the Ethiad, playing glorious stuff and brooking no resistance. His team were there before him; it was a long-term strategy, and around it are the feeder clubs, the youth system, the polish and spit. It has to be said in some respects the upping of the ante is good for the league, Pep's football philosophy is good for the game. It means that United (And Mou) will really have to raise their game to challenge this; the "Manchester United" board ought to be more aware of the challenges and necessary investment. It means that the Jose project has to be what some other poster calls a Wenger-style five year plan. For club and manager the coming two or three years represent a massive challenge stylistically and stragegically. Unintended consequences: maybe Jose staying longer? Maybe Jose reinventing his approach to the game (less likely in my view). The board loosening the purse strings? My New Year's wish?

That we get City in the CL.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Zlatan is done and Mkhi is a flop. So that's only 5 signings in Bailly, Lindelof, Matic, Pogba and Lukaku that are Jose's. We need 2 FBs, a #10, a RW and a CM despite those 5. It is not about the number of signings we need to make, its' the fact that Fergie loyalists are getting old, the van Gaal buys are shite, that we need to almost buy a starting XI.
Pretty much this. The rebuild job was massive because instead of rebuilding post SAF we hired a clown and a crazy old man.

Its like SAF made a deal with the devil; you'll have decades of success but will have to sabotage the club as you retire.

Luckily we are in a good position; because we have many players that are going to become better. Bailly, Lindeloff, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Lingard are all players that can grow and be the future of the club.

Sing you a song

It's inflating for everyone though. Like city we will also get more for our players. And like the fees our revenue is growing big time. And as of now we tend to spend as much as them or thereabouts in recent times.

Only thing I would disagree is that we don't tend to get much for our outgoing players they tend to go for peanuts with the exception of Ronaldo of course ( and Di maria who we still lost money on )
Hernandez and Raphael classic examples

amolbhatia50k

Maybe he has to change his ways of he is getting restricted budget. Rather than spending whole summer chasing a star player like dybala for 120m , why not buy mahrez and ozil and then use remaining to buy a midfielder , rb and one backup striker.

Trust me 3 players will not solve our issue but I still think we will get 5 players which would.solve most of the issue. But Jose has to be ruthless, no more of carrying mediocre players like darmian and must stop over rating average players like young and fellaini. He must also be smart in showing more trust in Luke shaw and other academy players.
I agree. Id like us to spread our spending over more players. Take a few risks of technically gifted players and others on the verge of exploding like Salah.

Exhale Beats

Supports
Tottenham
How where Herrera, Di Maria, Luke Shaw, Blind, Martial, Depay, Darmian and Morgan Schneiderlin bad signings? When they signed, they where players who many though had potential to become quality players and some of them where supposed to improve the squad. It was only after they came at the club they didn't perform well.

parkthebuslads

Disappointing news. Everything I've seen from Jose tells me he improves a team by spending money. That's it. So the number is too small, as it was before the previous summer. And why the obsession with a "marquee" signing? That sounds like a line you feed shareholders, not a consideration to be had for a manager trying to rebuild a squad.

RooneyLegend

I don't think so, the top 6 in the PL is pretty strong right now with the chance of 5 of them being in the Quarter Finals of the CL as well. The other thing is that the teams lower down in our league are all well funded, in the other top European leagues they spend next to nothing on their squads so you can have 10 opponents every season that you only need to pull the shirt on to beat.
We'll see how many go further, getting out of groups isn't that hard unless its a difficult one. Those well funded sides have been torn from here to Timbuktu by one team this season. The league is so completive and strong that a team can go half the season with only two points dropped?

Don't believe the hype, there's alot of mediocrity going around in the prem.

Devil may care

We'll see how many go further, getting out of groups isn't that hard unless its a difficult one. Those well funded sides have been torn from here to Timbuktu by one team this season. The league is so completive and strong that a team can go half the season with only two points dropped?

Don't believe the hype, there's alot of mediocrity going around in the prem.
The City team is exceptional, but the 5 below it would be competing in any of the other leagues bar Spain IMO.