Mourinho is our best option

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I know, i know that you will all say; "great , another mourinho thread". But i want to just open your eyes or at least try( or even maybe i will find out that i am wrong) that jose mourinho is the best option for us to get us back on winning titles.

With moyes and lvg we were average. Right? With jose we are winning games. Yes we have bad run in last couple of games but we are second, scoring goals , having good defence( except bloody corners). Basically we are two world class players from being the best. Yes we are not flying like in fergie era but it is not THAT defensive like people and media trying to present. But if you think that we are not ok and need to change manager look at alternatives.
Who do you think that will play fergie attacking football what all of you want and winning titles which we all want at the same time.
Zidane who managed only real madrid? Simeone who is the most defensive top manager? Enrique who failed everywhere except barca which is lets face it another world? Blanc? Ancelotti? Poch?
Do you realize that new manager will start another overhaul of squad and than we will lose another season or two in which we will throw away everything that mourinho built in these 1.5 years.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’d like to know where this idea comes from that we have to throw everything away if Mourinho goes. Since Fergie no one has ever won a prem title in their third year or after. Most managers have an impact right away.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't know if Jose is the best option.

But I am lost in terms of who would replace him if he did leave in the summer.

LJJT

We’ve screwed this whole thing up since Fergie left. Mourinho probably best of a bad bunch right now. But we should have brought in one man to replace SAF and they should have fit in with the rest of the existing regime. You could write a book on us on how not to plan your successor

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's certainly our best option for the time being, due in no small part to there being no viable alternative. Long-term is another matter entirely.

The team are simply going through a dry spell, nothing more. This happens to every team at some point.

At heart Jose is a true winner - give him two more transfer windows with which to build on an already strong team and he will prove that. I agree with you, 2-3 more squad additions will see us competing at the very highest level. I'm absolutely positive about that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This is an amazingly one-eyed OP.

Only two world class players from being the best... :lol:
How many would you say we needed in order to compete?

For me we need 2 or 3 key additions to the squad to bring it all together - a winger, central midfielder and a fullback.

Bojan11

And i stand with that. Put lets say griezmann and bale on no10 and rw position and you have great squad.
Bale would be a big waste of money. Last thing our squad needs another injury prone player who is over the hill. Stop signing rejects and get players who are approaching their prime.

In the next 12 months we should sign Ozil with two wide players. Obviously fullbacks too.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
And i stand with that. Put lets say griezmann and bale on no10 and rw position and you have great squad.
I worry that would be continuing the recent United trend of buying big names without a clue of how to fit them into a cohesive system.

Plus the fact that Bale is an absolute crock.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's no longer about buying the best players and just sticking them on the field. The past 3 years have proved this.

We need a coherent plan. A structure.

leontas

I’m still amazed by how royally we screwed up Fergie’s succession. From the 3 managers since Fergie, Jose is the only one who feels like he’s at least up to the task. For the first time, I go into games thinking that we have a higher probability of winning rather than drawing or losing.

Having said that, I still think some of the drawbacks that we’ve seen with Jose are a little concerning to say the least. Young, promising players like Martial and Rashford have not really improved under him, our attacking play lacks any structure or cohesion, some of the players are marginalised and fail to put in a shift when called upon with Jose happy to throw them under the bus and we still play very defensively in the big games, almost like we’re scared to take the game to the opposition.

I’m not sure how long we can still go before the atmosphere in the dressing room gets a little toxic between the players. I just struggle to see Jose staying here in the long term and I’d be surprised if he stays beyond his current 3-year contract.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
How many would you say we needed in order to compete?

For me we need 2 or 3 key additions to the squad to bring it all together - a winger, central midfielder and a fullback.
First choice left back
Carrick replacement
Top class right winger
Top class number ten
Top class striker

We are basically half a team from being anywhere near City.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It's no longer about buying the best players and just sticking them on the field. The past 3 years have proved this.

We need a coherent plan. A structure.
Pretty much this.

Under Jose there doesn’t seem like a proper style being formulated.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Shaw
Matic
Agree
Agree
Lukaku
Shaw'll be gone by the end of the season and isn't first choice now. Agree on Matic and Lukaku. We're not going to be bringing in another first choice striker while we have Lukaku. What we might bring in is a midfielder like Goretzka who can provide goals from midfield - especially if Pogba is injured/suspended.

wolvored

When you look at Mou you have to look for his record at other clubs. Every club he has won the league, then bailed/sacked at the third season. With him blaming everyone but himself, the players, the board, the rub of the green, lucky wins by other clubs etc, maybe he is going to buck the trend here. Well he is already out of the title race, we would have to win every game and hope city lose 4/5.depending on the Newcastle game. The next manager will benefit from some of the signings Mou has made but still needs large funds to strengthen, and move deadwood out.

Bojan11

Shaw'll be gone by the end of the season and isn't first choice now. Agree on Matic and Lukaku. We're not going to be bringing in another first choice striker while we have Lukaku. What we might bring in is a midfielder like Goretzka who can provide goals from midfield - especially if Pogba is injured/suspended.

Personally in the next 6 months would go something like this

Ozil
Right winger
Left winger
Centre midfielder
Left back
Right back

Outgoings
Blind
Darmian
Ibrahimovic
Herrera or Fellaini
Mkhitaryan
One of the crock CBs

6 out and 6 in would be what I would go for.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
But this shaw from last couple of games could be first choice. Who knows. Agree that we need cover for pogba but what top player will come and be cover? That is small problem with our midfield. Matic- pogba is 100% first choice.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Personally in the next 6 months would go something like this

Ozil
Right winger
Left winger
Centre midfielder
Left back
Right back

Outgoings
Blind
Darmian
Ibrahimovic
Herrera or Fellaini
Mkhitaryan
One of the crock CBs

6 out and 6 in would be what I would go for.
If we sign a LW then add Martial to the outgoings. I agree with the others though. We've also got Pereira coming back from loan.

But this shaw from last couple of games could be first choice. Who knows. Agree that we need cover for pogba but what top player will come and be cover? That is small problem with ozlur midfield. Matic- pogba is 100% first choice.
But he hasn't been. Rojo and Lindelof have been preferred over him in a couple of games.

Flying high

When Mourinho goes we need to employ a director of football to create a playing style that we can stick to, and recruit accordingly.

Champagne Football

Jose clearly needs around four more players to make his project work. Malcom, Weigl, Sessegnon and one more perhaps. He's steadied a ship that was sinking like the Titanic so he deserves respect.

I don't buy into this 'he hasn't won trophies so he shouldn't be considered' nonsense though when discussing better fits. Valverde at Barcelona looks like he will guide Barca back to silverwear this year and no one even knew who he was a year ago. Zidane at Real another example. I believe Jose will get it right next season and his rebuild was so big that he was never gonna do it in his second season.

My beef with Jose is that he us obsessed with spending big instead of trying to get a bargain he can develop over a year or two as Klopp has done with Mane, Ox, Salah and as Pep has done with Sane and Jesus.

If Jose can start showing he's happy to look for bargains he can develop then I'm happy for him to stick around for a while. I feel Poch is a better fit even though he's won zero cups but happy to give Jose one more season next year to see what he can do with a squad full of players he has brought in.

edcunited1878

Mourinho was the best option available, hence it was the reason why LVG was sacked. The club was ruthless for a second time post SAF. The firing of Moyes and the firing of LVG when it was clear there was someone who could build the club and their success couldn't be questioned. Jose is still the best option.

We have to see this out through next year at minimum. Jose knows what it takes to get United to be challenging for the title. Finishing as high as possible in the league this year is the goal and it should be 2nd or 3rd place. If the club decide after next year Mourinho needs to go, okay, but at least he won a couple trophies and now the cupboard will not be as barren as when he found it and there are real pieces for the next manager to use.

The scouting department and academy have been revamped the past 12 to 16 months. Let's see where they take us the rest of this year and into next season.

We've seen the best of United so far the first half of the current season and we are seeing the worst of United, again, in late December.

United will be refreshing the squad for another two years before we can say, okay it's a properly settled squad let's have a go on all fronts.

Players to replace at minimum: 3 fullbacks (Valencia, Young, Darmian). 1 CB (Blind). 2 CMs (Felliani, Carrick). 1 CF (Zlatan).

Arguably, the only in-house players that should step up are young players who need proper blooding in the first team - TFM (loan), Pereira (loan) and Tuanzebe (fringe senior player).

After every crap draw or loss, everything that has happen after SAF retired becomes magnified as a royal feck up. When you've made so many poor decisions as a club in a very competitive league let alone footballing landscape in a few years, this is what happens. It's a mixed bag that makes for uncomfortable viewing at times.

Silverman

Tbh, I wouldn't be too disappointed if Mourinho left tomorrow morning. I was always a fan of his even when he was at Chelsea and I thought he would bring his winning mentality and mix it with the United identity but sadly it hasn't worked out like that. As others have said, he hasn't been the same Mourinho since his spell at Real Madrid. He just doesn't seem as enthusaistic or bothered as much as he used to be but there is no doubting that he is a fantastic football manager.
The defensive tactics in big games especially Liverpool at Anfield and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge are particularly hard to watch. Now I know even Fergie struggled at those places but we didn't even try to attack under Mourinho, especially against a Liverpool defense that is all over the place when put under pressure. I think we need an attacking manager to bring us back to where we belong and tbh none of Moyes, LVG or Mourinho are that type of manager. The main problem is there is not many of these types of managers available atm.

RedorDead21

Mou is underperforming right now and he needs to sort that out. The dropped points at Leicester were a joke which is entirely his fault. He wasnt so slow to react when Nani got sent off and he was on the touchline with Modric before the ref had his red back in his pocket. His non action for 5+mins when Smalling got injured was pathetic from any manager claiming to be great!

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
First choice left back
Carrick replacement
Top class right winger
Top class number ten
Top class striker

I never understand why people simultaneously overhype other teams whilst underrating ours. Zlatan is one of the best strikers in the world, who was on form fo top scorer last year, Lukaku was the second top scorer last year. There was only one player from City in the top scorers last year and it was Aguero. Do you think City fans sit there thinking they've got the top class in every position? They're also bemoaning some of their players compared to ours and other squads. They're just playing unbelievably well. I don't understand this notion that we have to have the top player in every position in order to win the league. You can win the league with barely half a team of top class status. Leicester showed that. It's like the fans on here sometimes (not you, I'm talking in a general sense now) believe that Chelsea and City fans believe they've got top class in every position and they're happy and wouldn't take anyone from another team in their teams. They're not at all, and their players aren't as amazing in every single position as we think they are, nor are ours as bad as we make out. We're not half a team away from being anywhere near City at all. If we changed half the team we'd probably walk the league, let alone 'be anywhere near City'. We're already near City, hence why we're in second place. Half a team change would piss the league. You can't make out we're so far from City that they're going to dominate English football for the next 20 years, they finished 3rd last season ffs and the title winners are now sat in 3rd. You don't need to sign half a team to catch up, or to go from 3rd to 1st, let alone 2nd to 1st.

Do you think that last year City fans were posting 'we're half a team away from being able to get anywhere close to Chelsea' ?

Bojan11

Tbh, I wouldn't be too disappointed if Mourinho left tomorrow morning. I was always a fan of his even when he was at Chelsea and I thought he would bring his winning mentality and mix it with the United identity but sadly it hasn't worked out like that. As others have said, he hasn't been the same Mourinho since his spell at Real Madrid. He just doesn't seem as enthusaistic or bothered as much as he used to be but there is no doubting that he is a fantastic football manager.
The defensive tactics in big games especially Liverpool at Anfield and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge are particularly hard to watch. Now I know even Fergie struggled at those places but we didn't even try to attack under Mourinho, especially against a Liverpool defense that is all over the place when put under pressure. I think we need an attacking manager to bring us back to where we belong and tbh none of Moyes, LVG or Mourinho are that type of manager. The main problem is there is not many of these types of managers available atm.
This bollocks again. Liverpool have conceded just 3 goals at Anfield in the league. One of them which was a penalty.

People need to take their tinted glasses off. Their defending away from home is poor. But at home their record is up with the best.

Andersons Dietician

When Mourinho goes we need to employ a director of football to create a playing style that we can stick to, and recruit accordingly.
This exactly as this running around trying to put out fires with a leaky bucket is just stupid. United are effectivly relying on luck. A plan of succession is needed and someone with a vision to take us where we need to go.

Silverman

This bollocks again. Liverpool have conceded just 3 goals at Anfield in the league. One of them which was a penalty.

People need to take their tinted glasses off. Their defending away from home is poor. But at home their record is up with the best.
Did ya ever stop to think that their defence could be so good at home because teams don't go at them? It's the same players home or away. We should have went at them and see just how good they really are at defending at home.

vidic blood & sand

Personally I want the attacking philosophy back regardless of who the manager is. What's the point of winning tactical matches in order to finish in the top four, only to blown away in the champions league by the first strong team we face. Better to be entertained than get in the top four with stoke style football.

Bojan11

Did ya ever stop to think that their defence could be so good at home because teams don't go at them? It's the same players home or away. We should have went at them and see just how good they really are at defending at home.
Or maybe because they don’t allow teams to have a go at them with their pressing. You are seriously underestimating them at home.

We also been to way worse Liverpool teams with better teams and come away with a draw or loss.

Silverman

Or maybe because they don’t allow teams to have a go at them with their pressing. You are seriously underestimating them at home.

We also been to way worse Liverpool teams with better teams and come away with a draw or loss.
We had one shot on target in that game and their defence contained Mignolet, Lovren and Moreno with Jordan Henderson covering them. If thats not a team that can be got at then we differ a lot and aren't going to agree on much.

davidmichael

First choice left back
Carrick replacement
Top class right winger
Top class number ten
Top class striker

This is exactly what I said a couple of days ago in another thread and I totally agree with you. We’re in need of a world class left back, a world class right forward, a quality alternative to Lukaku up front, a quality 10 that thrives in a counter attacking set up and someone to replace Carrick.

We’ve got Fosu-Mensah and Pereira to come back too so we’re great for numbers but it’s the quality that’s desperately needed to be added to the quantity so instead of inconsistent players or utter dross we need to look at the very best players for the positions that need to be strengthened.

Darmian, Rojo, Blind, Fellaini, Mkhitaryan and the fringe reserve players like Johnstone, Wilson etc all need to be shipped out for good ruthlessly like Sir Alex even did with world class players like Ince, Kanchelskis, Beckham and RVN instead of being loaned out.

It’s about time we actually had a style and an identity and a fecking settled formation with a first choice eleven instead of still experimenting 18 months into Jose’s reign much like we did for pretty much all of that cnut LVG’s reign, the players need to be settled and we need to sign players to fit a style instead of just signing players then playing them wherever.

Red_toad

I’d like to know where this idea comes from that we have to throw everything away if Mourinho goes. Since Fergie no one has ever won a prem title in their third year or after. Most managers have an impact right away.
Yet Pep won jack in his first season!