Mourinho or Pogba?

If it was an either/or situation, who would you rather United keep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eddy_JukeZ

My point was this poll is ridiculous. The only thing that should matter is the club! No one is bigger
Jose having a contract til 2021 is irrelevant.

It doesn't mean he can't implode as he has done in the past.

And yes no one is bigger but the club itself. And I view Pogba as more important to our club's success down the line than Jose Mourinho.

PoTMS

My vote is for Pogba. Not because I'm a Pogba fan boy but more because I don't want Mourinho as our manager. You could replace Pogba in the poll with most of the current United squad and I'd still vote the same.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Jose having a contract til 2021 is irrelevant.

It doesn't mean he can't implode as he has done in the past.

And yes no one is bigger but the club itself. And I view Pogba as more important to our club's success down the line than Jose Mourinho.
What's this based on? His consistent performances for us over 2 seasons?

Judas

Open to offers
I know we've had a not so good pre season, but I'll still back the manager to get it right. He's still the best available coach out there to get us back into winning ways. I truly believe that.
He's already proven it by getting us to 2nd and our highest finish since Fergie. But is he the man to get us playing entertaining football and using the squad to the best of its ability? Not so sure anymore.

RU Devil

I was a Jose fan when he was hired, hoping that he'd learned a thing or two after his Chelsea debacle, but it's obvious he's setting up his escape route. He's still a very good manager, but whomever is in charge of transfers hasn't created a team he can win with. I believe the team has enough talent to win, but not with him at the helm. Unless someone like Carrick can change Jose's tune, it would be better to build around Pogba rather than having Jose short-terming it. I had hoped Jose could've been a long term answer, buy I can't see it now.

Eddy_JukeZ

What's this based on? His consistent performances for us over 2 seasons?
I have more faith in his ability than Jose's current coaching abilities.

If this was pre-Real Madrid Jose, I'd pick Jose, but it's not.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I’m surprised the poll is as close as it is :lol: I do expect them both to be gone soon enough; potentially by next summer.

reddevil702

Voted for Jose because one player should never be more important than the manager.

Cloud7

Pogba is the most talented player in the squad, one of the best midfielders in the world and still has his best years ahead of him.

piratefox

Wouldn't be surprised if both are gone next season.

United simply aren't competing with Barcelona anymore. Haven't for half a decade now. Sadly we're two levels below them, so you can see why he'd leave.

Pee me off no end seeing him go after not performing to the level he clearly can over a full season.

Jacko21

I'm not getting off this Jose train for anybody. Even if we are headed for derailment. :lol:

Mourinho. Made easier by the fact that I veer from indifferent to irritated with Pogba.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm not getting off this Jose train for anybody. Even if we are headed for derailment. :lol:

Mourinho. Made easier by the fact that I veer from indifferent to irritated with Pogba.
Sums up my view.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't want Pogba out and I'm seen as being his staunchest critic by many here.

I just think Mourinho is more valuable.
Mourinho has been really bad in the last 3 years. Pogba has just had a great world cup and was excellent before joining us.

Mourinho looks increasingly like just another LVG. It happened in the past for great managers to become bad with the time passing.

Velvet Revolver

Meh it's just a choice of who you would rather have at the club if you only had to pick one. Completely hypothetical.

I don't see a causation needed here, just pick one you would rather lose over the other.
My point still stands. Neither as long as the club does well I don’t care of either stays or go! Too much importance given to everything else expect the club

Cloud7

Here’s an interesting thought to speculate on/discuss:

In a hypothetical scenario that they had to choose one, like we’re posed with now, which one do you think the club hierarchy values more, Pogba or Mourinho?

Rolaholic

Not sure how this is even up for discussion,can't really fathom how anyone could back Mourinho here if it came down to this

vk20legend

He's already proven it by getting us to 2nd and our highest finish since Fergie. But is he the man to get us playing entertaining football and using the squad to the best of its ability? Not so sure anymore.
He's not without faults, but unlike City we can't just throw half the team away and get a new one. It takes some time to get rid of certain players and get his squad.

Fans are frustrated because they see our two biggest rivals playing some good football and they've both invested while we're trying our best to get rid of few and invest again. The media has gone on an overdrive to create their own self fulfilling prophecy of how he leaves after three years and how his 3rd season is all bad.

But of all his statements 90% of what he says is kinda true and he does go overboard or overtly negative on the 10% and that gets picked up and highlighted more which in turn makes generic fans go crazy and thus creates a bad atmosphere around the club and the fans. It's a vicious circle.

Do you think he goes out to play for a 1-0 every game? I'm sure if given an option he'd want to win every game by a 4 goal margin by half time and relax for the next 45 minutes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Mourinho has been really bad in the last 3 years. Pogba has just had a great world cup and was excellent before joining us.

Mourinho looks increasingly like just another LVG. It happened in the past for great managers to become bad with the time passing.
Mourinho has shown improvement on us whether people want to admit it or not. He brought us to the Champions League and then our best position since Ferguson. His brand of football went tits up in the second half of last season, but I genuinely haven't seen Pogba perform to his potential for longer than half a season since he joined.

Moreover I don't see a manger out there that I think can be guaranteed to get league results consistently as Mourinho is doing. However I can see us forcing Rakitic into the deal, or using funds from Pogba to get Modric, or Thiago etc (all of whom are upgrades on Pogba).

That's why I'd back Mourinho.

cyberman

Jose.
You can't blame Mourinho since Paul ran away under Sir fecking Alex.
Maybe he thinks playing in a dominating side with few challenges every week ala Juve is where he shines..

IrishRedDevil

Mourinho has shown improvement on us whether people want to admit it or not. He brought us to the Champions League and then our best position since Ferguson. His brand of football went tits up in the second half of last season, but I genuinely haven't seen Pogba perform to his potential for longer than half a season since he joined.

Moreover I don't see a manger out there that I think can be guaranteed to get league results consistently as Mourinho is doing. However I can see us forcing Rakitic into the deal, or using funds from Pogba to get Modric, or Thiago etc (all of whom are upgrades on Pogba).

Rakitic an upgrade on Pogba :lol:

Baxter

Imagine getting Pogba, to only waste that opportunity playing in Jose’s setup.

Gordon S

Pogba, and it's not even close. Unless Mourinho completely transforms the way we play during the season, nothing will change.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm not Pogba's biggest fan but I don't want Mourinho.
Not a thread I'm even comfortable voting on.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Definitely Pogba over Jose.

Would’ve been exactly the same mid way through the season too.

Jose’s style is outdated and boring. I feel with an attack minded coach, pogba would flourish and Jose would quickly be forgotten.

Jose is easily replaceable. Pogba isn’t.

reddevil702

David De Gea or David Moyes in January 2014?
I get your point, however I still stand by my post. Once the club makes the decision to back a player and undermine a manager, how can any future manager feel empowered and able to make difficult decisions, especially those that go against the star players.

AndyJ1985

Pogba.

But then I'd choose almost anything over Mourinho. Things will end the same way they did at Chelsea, and even when we see it coming we'll do nothing to stop it.

acnumber9

It’s not a case of Mourinho v Pogba or any other player for me. You can’t have players ruling the roost. We can get rid of Mourinho and the new manager could do a worse job and the player can still want to leave and then where are we?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
My point still stands. Neither as long as the club does well I don’t care of either stays or go! Too much importance given to everything else expect the club
Well may as disband all threads then.

"Should we sign Boateng?"

"Doesn't matter as long as the club does well."

lysglimt

Scout
If this was a case of 1 unhappy Pogba but an otherwise happy team - I would say keep Mourinho. But that is not the case…

It makes you wonder if the board is playing hardball with Martial/Pogba simply to try to keep them if they decide to change managers....and no I don't really believe it …. but

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If Pogba wants to leave, again, then he has to go. No point keeping players who are pining for Barca or Madrid whilst being whored around by dogshit agents. We don't need that, no matter how good he can be.

Do Riaola clients ever renew where they are? It seems like he's just constantly moving his men around.

I'm not the biggest Mourinho fan either but at least he appears to be committed to us. Pogba rumours have been on the go since just before that City game, and he was gesturing to the crowd at full time that its all bullshit. Nah.

Revan

Assumptionman

We also spent 350m pounds, so finishing 6th and 2nd and winning Europa Cup and League Cup is hardly that impressive. More importantly, the football has been as bad as during LVG's second season (and worse than during his first season).

Thing is, watching United has become painful, not a joy. I don't care if we finish 5th or 2nd (without never being in for the title) if is near unbearable to watch us to play. At the end, football is an entertainment business. United has become anything bar entertaining.

Fosu-Mens

If Pogba wants to leave, again, then he has to go. No point keeping players who are pining for Barca or Madrid whilst being whored around by dogshit agents. We don't need that, no matter how good he can be.

Do Riaola clients ever renew where they are? It seems like he's just constantly moving his men around.

I'm not the biggest Mourinho fan either but at least he appears to be committed to us. Pogba rumours have been on the go since just before that City game, and he was gesturing to the crowd at full time that its all bullshit. Nah.
So if the reason Pogba was to leave was the manager and his approach to football?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We also spent 350m pounds, so finishing 6th and 2nd and winning Europa Cup and League Cup is hardly that impressive. More importantly, the football has been as bad as during LVG's second season (and worse than during his first season).

Thing is, watching United has become painful, not a joy. I don't care if we finish 5th or 2nd (without never being in for the title) if is near unbearable to watch us to play. At the end, football is an entertainment business. United has become anything bar entertaining.
We needed to spend to make us relevant again. If I'm not mistaken since Jose signed we've spent less than City or Chelsea did (considerably less than City). So yeah finishing 2nd isn't a bad effort at all.

I'm not going to even bother trying to defend Mourinho's style of play last season in the second half. But I can argue it was uncharacteristic even by his standards. His peak Chelsea sides, Real side and Inter weren't like that. I think he's still finishing the puzzle.