Mourinho says it will be difficult to catch City next season

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Yeah, I can't help but feel pretty pessimistic at the moment. City walked it this year and will make some big signings over the summer. They might not be able to reach the heights next year that they've reached this season because it's always hard to replicate something like that, but they have room to slack a little compared to this year and still win it easily.

It's weird, we came 2nd but I still can't even envisage this group of players lifting the Premier League. Not in my wildest dreams.

Might get pelted for this but Liverpool are more likely to challenge for the league next season than us imo. Keita is a huge signing and they're really only a few additions away from being a top side. They also have better cohesion than us and are fully aware of who has to play where to achieve the best results. There is clarity. Sounds insanely basic but we haven't achieved that for a few years now.

Having said that, I expect us to get a lot done over the summer. This squad needs an outrageous overhaul. Mourinho will do a serious amount of business and he'll still have players in the squad next season that he wants to get rid of. I think he's even admitted that himself. And in my opinion that just sums up how far away we really are.

Water Melon

From what I recall at Barca vs Madrid, it was Jose who kicked Pep out of the Spanish league.
Jose is not the kind to give up. He fights till the end. Pep on the other hand does seem to give up (he says he wants a new challenge, which is fair enough).

And to have such a negative, defeatist loser attitude isn't good. Not just in football, but in life. To succeed, people need to learn to fight. And to fight, they need to believe that they can win. Be it a job interview. Be it an exam. Be it anything in life.

I fully expect us to win the title next season. IMO, we have the best manager in charge (when it comes to results, with the available players) and given the results in the last 2 seasons, I see no reason to change this belief.
We are improving year on year and I think 90 points in the league is probably what we shall get next season. Now, if MCFC get more than 90 points....fair play to them, but I don't think they will.
Tell this to Jose. It is him who thinks it will be very difficult to win the Prem. I am sure that he needs to win it and has enough resources at his disposal. Everything else is just excuse. Pool have shown what it takes to beat City at the biggest stage and when it matters most, surely Jose can do the same. His tactics are set to not lose. As for the real life, I am quite good thank you. Have got a decent education, family, kids, well paid job. I hope Jose is of the same cloth of SAF and other greats who were on mission possible and achieved it.
P.S. As for Barca vs Madrid, check the number of years Jose spent there against Pep. See who won what. Pep did not leave because of Jose by the way. However, Jose left beause of spectacular feck ups against his own players both at Madrid and Chelsea. If you want to see the proven winner at Madrid, it is Zizu. Doing fantastically without spending crazy.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
@DomesticTadpole
Yeah I think as well Fergie before he finished had realised that things had become so competitive that important decisions could come down to goal difference so he wanted more goals and if I recall was angry at us not taking advantage of certain situations. City had a 38 goal swing on us with us having the lowest amount of goals scored out of the top 4. I do think they had a bit of a freak season and it will remain that unless they can repeat it.

I think the year before the average of the top 4 was 80+ so we need to be around that instead of the 68 of this year.
M.E.N. have picked up on it as well.

11:53Ciaran Kelly
United's goalscoring issues in 2018
With just one game of the season to go, there is never a better time to look at the numbers of the season.

A worrying trend has emerged in 2018 despite Romelu Lukaku’s goals and Alexis Sanchez’s mid-season arrival - United are having problems in front of goal.

Up until December 30, United had scored a fairly respectable 43 league goals. Since January 1, though, they have managed just 25 goals. That trend has to change next season as United cannot keep relying on goalkeeper David de Gea to keep them in games.

Jacko21

We won't need a 19 point swing.

We dropped daft points left, right and center - Leicester, Burnley, Southampton, Huddersfield, West Brom, Brighton, Newcastle. So you'd like to think we'd not make the same mistakes again. But we also need to build on our wins against the top six this season. City's levels are such that it's no longer enough to follow the tried and tested Mourinho model of beating the fodder and not losing to your direct rivals. The top of the PL is too competitive and you risk conceding too many points.

From City's perspective, it'd be extraordinary for them to replicate this seasons results. They added 12+ points in the final few minutes of games alone. Huddersfield, Southampton (twice), West Ham, Bournemouth off the top of my head. They also racked up points against all of the top six. There was a sense of inevitability of City's campaign early on and they never really lost momentum. With the exception of Liverpool away and United at home, they had a near-perfect season - they found themselves on the right side of the margins time and time again.

We're relying on ourselves not dropping needless points (particularly at home) and City not quite being at the same level or indeed netting so many late winners. That'd put us in with a shout. It's really the only plan we've got. Sounds simple, right. :rolleyes:

But that's without even thinking about Liverpool. Although a three-horse race for the title might not be a bad thing - it'd apply more heat to the likely leaders, City.

I'm not all that pessimistic for the new season - but if City start well again, we just can't afford to lose ground early on - because mentally, that strengthens them and weakens us. We didn't react at all well to that City defeat at OT. Heads dropped and we've seldom played well since. It allowed City to play without pressure and with all the momentum. And in the moments they were unnerved, they didn't react particularly well, but they still had too much of a buffer to fear any kind of collapse.

Solid additions in the summer and a better attitude will put is contention. We won't be the prettiest, but we can still be in with a shout. It'll be another 90+ points season.

I don't anticipate another cakewalk. However foolish that may be.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
We need a 19 point swing.

We dropped daft points left, right and center - Leicester, Burnley, Southampton, Huddersfield, West Brom, Brighton, Newcastle. So you'd like to think we'd not make the same mistakes again. But we also need to build on our wins against the top six this season. City's levels are such that it's no longer enough to follow the tried and tested Mourinho model of beating the fodder and not losing to your direct rivals. The top of the PL is too competitive and you risk conceding too many points.

From City's perspective, it'd be extraordinary for them to replicate this seasons results. They added 12+ points in the final few minutes of games alone. Huddersfield, Southampton (twice), West Ham, Bournemouth off the top of my head. They also racked up points against all of the top six. There was a sense of inevitability of City's campaign early on and they never really lost momentum. With the exception of Liverpool away and United at home, they had a near-perfect season - they found themselves on the right side of the margins time and time again.

We're relying on ourselves not dropping needless points (particularly at home) and City not quite being at the same level or indeed netting so many late winners. That'd put us in with a shout. It's really the only plan we've got. Sounds simple, right. :rolleyes:

But that's without even thinking about Liverpool. Although a three-horse race for the title might not be a bad thing - it'd apply more heat to the likely leaders, City.

I'm not all that pessimistic for the new season - but if City start well again, we just can't afford to lose ground early on - because mentally, that strengthens them and weakens us. We didn't react at all well to that City defeat at OT. Heads dropped and we've seldom played well since. It allowed City to play without pressure and with all the momentum. And in the moments they were unnerved, they didn't react particularly well, but they still had too much of a buffer to fear any kind of collapse.

Solid additions in the summer and a better attitude will put is contention. We won't be the prettiest, but we can still be in with a shout. It'll be another 90+ points season.

I don't anticipate another cakewalk. However foolish that may be.
19 points is an impossible amount to obtain. City have been exceptional but they won't get 100 points again next season. We only need to improve 10 more on where we're currently at and it will be a lot closer come the end of next season.

10 - 12 points more and we'll win the league next year.

Jacko21

19 points is an impossible amount to obtain. City have been exceptional but they won't get 100 points again next season. We only need to improve 10 more on where we're currently at and it will be a lot closer come the end of next season.

Yeah, as mentioned, I think the winner next year will need 90-95 points.

Andersons Dietician

City jumped 22 points from their previous season.

edgar allan

Factor in the 4 bottom teams we lost to this season and there's your 12 and next years PL title.
Clutching at straws with what if's.
Those bottom 4 teams outplayed and out fought us.
There were other games that we played poorly and were very lucky to get points in also. We were hanging on many times and had our share of good fortune.
We need a huge improvement in performance and tactics to be anywhere closer next year even if City are 10 points worse off.

crossy1686

career ending
There were other games that we played poorly and were very lucky to get points in also. We were hanging on many times and had our share of my.
We need a huge improvement in performance and tactics to be anywhere closer next year even if City are 10 points worse off.
You need a huge amount of luck to win anything, remember the season where our second leading goalscorer was 'own goal'?
I was over simplifying, of course we need to improve but City cannot maintain 100 points a season.
Fully expecting Jose to bring in players that know how to fight and grind out results with their experience and quality so we don't see many of those 'soft' moments next season.
If we have another season like this one and we cut out those bottle jobs, City will have to repeat what they did this season to stop us winning the league.
Jose is determined to grind Pep down in the end.

JohnnyKills

There were other games that we played poorly and were very lucky to get points in also. We were hanging on many times and had our share of good fortune.
This 100%.

Look at all the games we had to grind out against the lesser teams, winning by the odd goal or settling for a point with nothing performances.

Some example off the top of my head (leaving out Watford as it was the last game of the season)

Brighton (h) 1-0
Bournemouth (h) 1-0
WBA (a) 2-1
Burnley (a) 1-0
West Ham (a) 0-0
Southampton (a) 1-0

You can also throw in the Leicester and Huddersfield victories, both of which were won 2-0 but left a lot to be desired in terms of performance.

We barely created a chance in any of those games. Yes we were clinical with the chances we had, and that's a great attribute, but a top side has to be more ambitious, and creative, seeking to dominate the lesser sides rather than just beat them. Otherwise you leave yourself open to dropping points.

The losses against the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield can't be looked at in isolation. They're part of a wider problem and we're not winning either the PL or the CL until we solve it.

edgar allan

I am not very enthused about the thought of our style becoming anymore of a grind than it already is.
There comes a point surely where he will have to accept that you have to take chances and be more positive to be successful?
Jose's ethos may have been successful previously but it just isn't going to work against City. We can't grind our way to the title anymore.

crossy1686

career ending
This 100%.

Look at all the games we had to grind out against the lesser teams, winning by the odd goal or settling for a point with nothing performances.

Some example off the top of my head (leaving out Watford as it was the last game of the season)

Brighton (h) 1-0
Bournemouth (h) 1-0
WBA (a) 2-1
Burnley (a) 1-0
West Ham (a) 0-0
Southampton (a) 1-0

You can also throw in the Leicester and Huddersfield victories, both of which were won 2-0 but left a lot to be desired in terms of performance.

We barely created a chance in any of those games. Yes we were clinical with the chances we had, and that's a great attribute, but a top side has to be more ambitious, and creative, seeking to dominate the lesser sides rather than just beat them. Otherwise you leave yourself open to dropping points.

The losses against the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield can't be looked at in isolation. They're part of a wider problem and we're not winning either the PL or the CL until we solve it.
Norwich (A) 1-0 (Pilkington 60')
Fulham (A) 0-1 (Rooney 79')
West Ham (H) 1-0 (Van Persie 1')
Swansea (A) 1-1 (Evra 16')
Newcastle (H) 4-3 (Evra 25', 58', Van Persie 71', Hernandez 90')
Southampton (H) 2-1 (Rooney 8' 27')
Reading (H) 1-0 (Rooney 21')
West Ham (A) 2-2 (Valencia 31', Van Persie 77')
Swansea (H) 2-1 (Hernandez 39', Ferdinand 89')
Sunderland (A) 1-0 (Bramble OG 27')

Fergie's last season 2012-2013.

You could go further back and see that we often don't dominate the lesser teams unless they're really down on themselves. It's hard to batter someone when it's their cup final and our team see it as a starter for the main course coming midweek against the likes of Madrid in the CL.

I remember us getting beat of Burnley away one year when Carrick missed a penalty.

The fact of the matter is, you can't win every game and you certainly can't dominate a team that don't want to be dominated. Grinding wins in absolutely necessary in winning trophies.

el3mel

But Pogba and Sanchez especially have been poor, Mhiki is gone already and Lindelof and Bailly can't hold down a starting position.
Okay I will give him Matic as a good signing and Lukaku has been decent.
2 out of 7 is not great for 300 million.
If theses players are in poor form and not good quality, why are you asking for better football to be played with these players ? You realize the contradiction ? You either say his signings have elevated the quality of the team and thus he should be playing Bette football with them, or that we are playing poor because his signing didn't work thus we are forced to be pragmatic and boring.

Criticizing both the players and his signings for being poor, they saying he's can't use the quality he has and plays boring football, are 2 contradicting things that just means you want to criticize him for the sake of it.

You need to organize your points before posting to avoid contradicting yourself. Good luck.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
There's no way City will replicate the season they just had. Sure their squad is better on paper, but it's not like Jose has a pub team at his disposal. Winning the league is obviously going to be hard, but United are in second best position to do it if you ask me. Better wing backs and a right winger and you're good to go. Shouldn't be impossible, City have more money to spend, but surely they can't sign all good wing backs.

Or can they?

Oneunited26

Let’s not forget United are bottom of the league on the amount of ground covered of all 20 PL teams, which is a huge indication on what’s wrong with how we play. I look at Jose he seems happy with everything, he does not seem to have the drive or the passion to look at our local rivals role up his sleeves and evolve has a manager. The United job is what it is to him, just a job, so I dont see that edge. But he seems quiet happy and content being in the top 4, if he can do just enough no matter how united play. United I don’t see winning the league, because the leadership at the top like Jose Mourinho cannot see himself what he’s doing wrong, when the management at the top don’t want to see what they are failing at we have a problem, Sevilla games was a huge eye opener on what’s wrong with this management

RedStarUnited

Last thing I need to hear from our manager going into the season is him talking about a difficult market and how far ahead City are from us.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Let’s not forget United are bottom of the league on the amount of ground covered of all 20 PL teams, which is a huge indication on what’s wrong with how we play. I look at Jose he seems happy with everything, he does not seem to have the drive or the passion to look at our local rivals role up his sleeves and evolve has a manager. The United job is what it is to him, just a job, so I dont see that edge. But he seems quiet happy and content being in the top 4, if he can do just enough no matter how united play. United I don’t see winning the league, because the leadership at the top like Jose Mourinho cannot see himself what he’s doing wrong, when the management at the top don’t want to see what they are failing at we have a problem, Sevilla games was a huge eye opener on what’s wrong with this management
What do you want him to do? Run around flapping his arms like Eddie the Eagle? You can see his shear frustration in his aftermatch interviews which people in here say he’s being too harsh. Did no one see Fergie in his pomp as SAF was 10x as hard on his players. Long term we benefited from that, short term all the so called great players left and went onto moderate success at best. Whilst we grew into a team and club that dominated for years.
If this manager is hounded out or walks out all the so called supporters in here who are moaning at him will deserve all they get and that will be a Liverpool like the last 20 years. A cup team it’s a simple as that, I’ve heard people in here say Jose is a dinosaur and the games moved on. What a load of bollocks.

edgar allan

If theses players are in poor form and not good quality, why are you asking for better football to be played with these players ? You realize the contradiction ? You either say his signings have elevated the quality of the team and thus he should be playing Bette football with them, or that we are playing poor because his signing didn't work thus we are forced to be pragmatic and boring.

Criticizing both the players and his signings for being poor, they saying he's can't use the quality he has and plays boring football, are 2 contradicting things that just means you want to criticize him for the sake of it.

You need to organize your points before posting to avoid contradicting yourself. Good luck.
My point was in reply to discussions around the need for bring in more of Jose's signings as an excuse for poor standard of play.
I don't see the contradiction in pointing out that, either way Jose hasn't been able to mould a team that can play a decent standard of football despite other teams with far less transfer resources managing that.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
City clutched a few points in the dying minutes from smaller clubs as well. It’s swings and roundabouts. City will be hard to catch next season (that’s obvious) although not impossible and we will be stronger. What Jose is saying is true so I don’t get the annoyance it’s causing. He’s not saying we will not he just knows his job in hand.

el3mel

My point was in reply to discussions around the need for bring in more of Jose's signings as an excuse for poor standard of play.
I don't see the contradiction in pointing out that, either way Jose hasn't been able to mould a team that can play a decent standard of football despite other teams with far less transfer resources managing that.
It's either the players are poor in quality so we can't argue about the style or the players are very good so he should play better football. Combining both together is just illogical.

You need to realize what's your main gripe with Mourinho, his signings ? his style ? his existence in general ?

edgar allan

It's either the players are poor in quality so we can't argue about the style or the players are very good so he should play better football. Combining both together is just illogical.

You need to realize what's your main gripe with Mourinho, his signings ? his style ? his existence in general ?
No. Its both and its very logical.
So what you are saying is that a manager can't improve the performances of players by employing tactics that bring the best out of them?

el3mel

No. Its both and its very logical.
So what you are saying is that a manager can't improve the performances of players by employing tactics that bring the best out of them?
What is it with turning the discussions about Mourinho to a complete different direction that each poster talks better in it ? That's why I hate these Mourinho discussions so much. You memorize things and you want to say them regardless, ok. I read these discussions about style nearly hundreds of times already I'm not going to read it again. I'm talking in other direction now regarding his worthy of getting money to spend regarding what he did to the squad he got since joining. Really wondering how people don't get bored with repeating the same opinion again and again and again. It's tiresome.

Now how is this question even related to the topic ? If the players are poor/not good enough, then you can't question how their manager is playing, because he'll opt to play a boring pragmatic style to suit these poor players and squeeze results from them. If you believe the manager is wrong playing such boring football, you must be believing the players in the club can play much better, thus their quality are actually good, thus his signings were pretty good since they elevated the quality of the team to the degree you believe the team should play better football than what he's producing.

It's not rocket science what I'm saying really. If you can't get it, it's your problem.

Most of those who think Mourinho's football isn't good enough are basing their opinion on that they believe the team has enough quality to play much better football. Whatever I agree or disagree with them, they have a reasonable and complete opinion with something backing it. You're taking it to a new level here and that's quite outstanding. He basically didn't do anything right regarding your sentence then. His signings are poor/not good enough, most of them are a failure, and he should also be playing great football with these poor players! Contradiction in its finest.

The only reason why people believe that the team isn't playing equally to the sum of its parts is that they believe the team has enough quality to play great, and the only reason this belief reached people's mind is because of Mourinho signings themselves. All the top players in the squad that the people believe they can play better football are his signings. Mourinho raised the standard with his signings and that's why he's getting slaughtered for playing a pragmatic boring style.

edgar allan

What is it with turning the discussions about Mourinho to a complete different direction that each poster talks better in it ? That's why I hate these Mourinho discussions so much. You memorize things and you want to say them regardless, ok. I read these discussions about style nearly hundreds of times already I'm not going to read it again. I'm talking in other direction now regarding his worthy of getting money to spend regarding what he did to the squad he got since joining. Really wondering how people don't get bored with repeating the same opinion again and again and again. It's tiresome.

Now how is this question even related to the topic ? If the players are poor/not good enough, then you can't question how their manager is playing, because he'll opt to play a boring pragmatic style to suit these poor players and squeeze results from them. If you believe the manager is wrong playing such boring football, you must be believing the players in the club can play much better, thus their quality are actually good, thus his signings were pretty good since they elevated the quality of the team to the degree you believe the team should play better football than what he's producing.

It's not rocket science what I'm saying really. If you can't get it, it's your problem.

Most of those who think Mourinho's football isn't good enough are basing their opinion on that they believe the team has enough quality to play much better football. Whatever I agree or disagree with them, they have a reasonable and complete opinion with something backing it. You're taking it to a new level here and that's quite outstanding. He basically didn't do anything right regarding your sentence then. His signings are poor/not good enough, most of them are a failure, and he should also be playing great football with these poor players! Contradiction in its finest.

The only reason why people believe that the team isn't playing equally to the sum of its parts is that they believe the team has enough quality to play great, and the only reason this belief reached people's mind is because of Mourinho signings themselves. All the top players in the squad that the people believe they can play better football are his signings. Mourinho raised the standard with his signings and that's why he's getting slaughtered for playing a pragmatic boring style.
He has raised the expectation certainly with his signings and rightly is accountable for a huge net transfer spend. Expectation and standard are two very different considerations.
Taking a view that the majority of his signings have not been a fantastic success is not the same as saying they are poor players , many of those players have played well before this year but surely it must put at least some doubts in the back of your mind for the likely success of the next 300 million spend?
The style of play and our poor player performances are closely linked.
Let's agree to disagree.

el3mel

He has raised the expectation certainly with his signings and rightly is accountable for a huge net transfer spend. Expectation and standard are two very different considerations.
Taking a view that the majority of his signings have not been a fantastic success is not the same as saying they are poor players , many of those players have played well before this year but surely it must put at least some doubts in the back of your mind for the likely success of the next 300 million spend?
The style of play and our poor player performances are closely linked.
Let's agree to disagree.
Even if his signings didn't work for him, he'll still leave a squad with too much quality for his successor to utilize, which is why came my point that he's trustable with money. He's signing players with the quality United should be pursing and having, so even if he himself doesn't succeed here, the team left by him will be a much better base for the next manager to work on and will have a greater chance to succeed than what Mourinho himself had when he gets the squad from LVG, which I believe is what we -fans- are targeting at the end anyway ( for the team to succeed whatever it's under Mourinho or his successor ).

Gordon S

The attitude of our managers post SAF is somewhat puzzling.
Moyes kept a brave face for a long time, but in these last couple of years we’ve heard lots of weird excuses from him. ”No other would have done it better than me” Is he really that stupid? Doesn’t add up.

LVG was a collars up kind of guy. He said early ”don’t judge me now, judge me in three months” because that was the time he thought it would take to get us going. Later on he said, ” don’t judge me now, judge me in three years” which is a massive difference. What happened to change his mind to something so protective of himself?

Then José came, even more collars up, said from the first interview that winning the league was the main objective, said he doesn’t do top 4, only winning!

For some time now he’s been throwing every one under the bus. The squad is shit, their mentality is shit, the board doesn’t back him, refs are shit, FA are shit, the fans are shit and he’s already started to manage expectations for next season. Like he has already given up next season? What happened to him? Would love to know what’s going on at the club!

edgar allan

Even if his signings didn't work for him, he'll still leave a squad with too much quality for his successor to utilize, which is why came my point that he's trustable with money. He's signing players with the quality United should be pursing and having, so even if he himself doesn't succeed here, the team left by him will be a much better base for the next manager to work on and will have a greater chance to succeed than what Mourinho himself had when he gets the squad from LVG, which I believe is what we -fans- are targeting at the end anyway ( for the team to succeed whatever it's under Mourinho or his successor ).
I completely agree that he had a big job on his hand to improve the squad that he inherited and there is no doubt that further improvements are needed. However some of that sounds a bit like the legacy narrative that LVG used but which turned out to be nonsense in the end.
The pressure is on Jose's signings this summer, two of the 3 star players we signed are underperforming. If he was to leave next season with Pogba and Sanchez as is, I dont think any new manager would be delighted with that legacy.
If he spends big again the players need to be an instant success. The Glaziers are not going to continue to spend hugely like some club fan boys.
I am no fan of Jose , you called me right on that one, but I don't expect us to be catching up with City inside the next couple of seasons at the least. However I just really want the team to be moving towards playing football that on a regular basis is attacking and exciting and be proud of our play. For long spells this year I can't say that and in ways I am more disappointed presently than pre Jose as my expectations have been raised by the investment in new players.

Roboc7

It will be very difficult to catch City next season, a lot of teams will be beaten before the game kicks off and happy to settle for a loss as long as they aren’t thrashed, even Chelsea did that this season at the Etihad.

There is too much to do in just one transfer window to close the gap, even if we buy 4 players or more the chances of them all working out straight away are pretty much zero.

I can only see us challenging for the title if someone does what RVP did in SAF’s last season and carries the team. Don’t think we have anyone to do that in this current squad and not sure realistically who we could sign to do it.

Roeindo

You cant catch up City if :
1. your midfield still consist the Afroman. No matter how creative and talented your forward players are, the tactic will just be hoofing the ball. The actual gameplan will be sacrifice to accomodate the Afroman.

2. Your fullbacks still learning how to make good crossing.

3. Your attacking and creative player spend the whole time to defend and defending corner.

el3mel

I completely agree that he had a big job on his hand to improve the squad that he inherited and there is no doubt that further improvements are needed. However some of that sounds a bit like the legacy narrative that LVG used but which turned out to be nonsense in the end.
The pressure is on Jose's signings this summer, two of the 3 star players we signed are underperforming. If he was to leave next season with Pogba and Sanchez as is, I dont think any new manager would be delighted with that legacy.
If he spends big again the players need to be an instant success. The Glaziers are not going to continue to spend hugely like some club fan boys.
I am no fan of Jose , you called me right on that one, but I don't expect us to be catching up with City inside the next couple of seasons at the least. However I just really want the team to be moving towards playing football that on a regular basis is attacking and exciting and be proud of our play. For long spells this year I can't say that and in ways I am more disappointed presently than pre Jose as my expectations have been raised by the investment in new players.
The legacy issues itself aren't nonsense in general, they were only nonsense in LVG case because his signings were god awful and left a depleted squad so there was no legacy left by him, but in general it's normal for a team to buy top players under a manager and they reach their full potential under one of his successors, or build a very good squad without much success then went on and succeed with the next manager. Mourinho bought someone like Modric for Madrid, but he only reached his full potential and became the best midfielder in the world some time after Mourinho left.

You're buying for the club now and in the future not for the manager present currently only. I have no doubt even if Mourinho didn't achieve the success expected from him when he signed the contract, he'll at least leave a very good squad for the next manager to work with and succeed, because he spends money well and is buying player of the standard United need.

JohnnyKills

Norwich (A) 1-0 (Pilkington 60')
Fulham (A) 0-1 (Rooney 79')
West Ham (H) 1-0 (Van Persie 1')
Swansea (A) 1-1 (Evra 16')
Newcastle (H) 4-3 (Evra 25', 58', Van Persie 71', Hernandez 90')
Southampton (H) 2-1 (Rooney 8' 27')
Reading (H) 1-0 (Rooney 21')
West Ham (A) 2-2 (Valencia 31', Van Persie 77')
Swansea (H) 2-1 (Hernandez 39', Ferdinand 89')
Sunderland (A) 1-0 (Bramble OG 27')

Fergie's last season 2012-2013.

You could go further back and see that we often don't dominate the lesser teams unless they're really down on themselves. It's hard to batter someone when it's their cup final and our team see it as a starter for the main course coming midweek against the likes of Madrid in the CL.

I remember us getting beat of Burnley away one year when Carrick missed a penalty.

The fact of the matter is, you can't win every game and you certainly can't dominate a team that don't want to be dominated. Grinding wins in absolutely necessary in winning trophies.
Fair point. But would that 2012-13 United side be able to compete with the City of today? I'd imagine not. They'd probably in a similar situation to the one we are now.

Also worth pointing out that the 2012-13 side was forced to grind out results to the lack of attacking quality in the squad. Yes they had two great strikers but they didn't have Pogba, Sánchez or Martial behind them and the current midfield of Matic and Herrera is an upgrade on what we had then.

This team should be capable of more but mourinho's limitations are holding us back IMO.

crossy1686

career ending
Does what? Takes the pressure off his players and puts it on the opposition by declaring another team as favourites?

Fergie did this all the time, along with writing teams off.

Offsideagain

Whatever JM says, whatever he does he will get slaughtered by somebody. I hope that Woodward gets his arse in gear and gets the players in ASAP, not two weeks before next season NOW. I fed up of rumours stating United are signing X or Y only for somebody else to sign them.

Splash the cash, sell the dross and get some leaders on the park. New full backs, an attacking creative midfielder, maybe a centre back.

SapperBRed75

Forget City. We can all see the results from this season which we could and should have improved upon. Let’s concentrate on developing in the areas we need to, and then see how that turns out. Catching Pep’s record-breaking and no doubt reinforced Champions will be difficult? Not particularly insightful, but no harm in a little expectation management I suppose.

Chairman Steve

There's nothing wrong with whats he's said in my opinion. This applies to the other 18 teams below us as well, even the media darlings Liverpool who play better football than City do arguably. He's acknowledging that City have finished way out in front of everyone else... of course it looks difficult when a team does that and as far as I know, no-one has a crystal ball to predict the future.

What should he do? Come out and say we'll definitely win the league next season and set himself up for a potential fall if it doesn't happen?