Mourinho tells Paul Pogba he'll never captain Manchester United again

CA_vampire

Because SAF was objectively the biggest asset of the club, not because he was the manager but because of his abilities and value.
I don't think so. SAF sent away a lot of star players in early 1990s, before he had not won anything with us, when he was not the "biggest asset of the club".

It is a management decision that the owners should make. Do they want to change manager every 2-3 years? Sure, why not? Many clubs do this. Then sack Mourinho.

Do the want the manager to be the boss? Then keep Mourinho and discipline or sell Pogba. And make sure that all players know that the manager is the boss.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Sad really....when you knew they'd be problems when Pogba lost the ball on Saturday despite being by far our best player. In fact I knew when they had the row during the Spurs game. With SAF it would've been a case of a bollocking and a fine, then it would have been forgotten the next day.

Jose can't do that has to keep having digs in the press, now Pogba too. It's becoming a farce.

Nico87

Don't take my word for it, why not listen to someone who knows more than both of us do?
I don't understand his absolute certainty that we would not see a different Paul Pogba under a diffrent manager and he "can assure us that we won't". For starters absolutely nobody can assure or guarantee anyone of that!.Secondly from a logical viewpoint, the idea that switching from a fundamentally defensive and rigid tactical set up, under a manager synonymous with a safety first approach would result in the same performances from an imaginative and creative midfielder in a more expressive attack minded system is completely naive.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Every time someone posts Carragher's take on this situation I notice a new thing that's wrong with his argument. This time it was the idea that there's no point in United sacking Mournho because player's perform the same no matter who their manager is.
Carragher is the stereotypical British pundit but, since he is paired usually with Neville he gets more time to explain his nonsense than most.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think so. SAF sent away a lot of star players in early 1990s, before he had not won anything with us, when he was not the "biggest asset of the club".

It is a management decision that the owners should make. Do they want to change manager every 2-3 years? Sure, why not? Many clubs do this. Then sack Mourinho.

Do the want the manager to be the boss? Then keep Mourinho and discipline or sell Pogba. And make sure that all players know that the manager is the boss.
Your first sentence is just wrong. When you evaluate your assets you value their present and future worth, it's a projection and has nothing to do with what you won but what you are expected to provide in the future. That's how you judge which player you are selling, renewing, purchasing, that's how you judge if the manager is an issue or the players.
A manager can have zero title today and be more valuable than the players in the future, conversely a very successful manager can be less valuable than his players in the future. It depends on the context and the actors.

Amir

It's not really our problem that they brought such a terrible offer. If they rate him that highly why didn't they offer more ?

Yes. He needs to shut down and work without bitching in the media, it doesn't help anyone and it's not his job.

It's how any one of us do in his work when he gets problem. There's something called authority. Your boss has an authority on you even if he's a shite boss. You can hate him, you can talk low about him with your friends but you can't go in public and say he's a shite boss when he's still in work. Otherwise you will get yourself fired. That's how any company works and these are rules. Your boss is your boss, and there's certain rules on dealing with him. If you are putting yourself toe to toe with your boss you won't last long at any job I'm afraid.
First of all, do you really think we would have sold Pogba for a better offer? I think that was a non starter.

As for the rest, comparing football to other jobs is plain wrong, for several reason. One is that in other jobs, you can quit. Second is in football, and sports in general, careers are short so 'waiting it out' is a lot tougher because there's a bigger price to pay. And third - in football, in general, the players are bigger stars than their their managers. It's not the usual boss-employee situation.

Football is a business like no other business. If I felt I had a manager who was harming my career, I'd leave. You want Pogba to shut up and hope things improve. I understand why he won't.

Amir

Got us 2nd place (highest league placing since SAF left), won 2 trophies (more than the previous 2 managers combined).
Aye. And for a club like United, those should be stepping stones to bigger and better things. Problem is, they haven't been because while he got those he never managed to instill a clear game plan or improve one single player. He spent tons of money on players who are underperforming, and overall, finished those first two years when we don't look like a team ready to take the step.

And because he has failed to do so, we'll have to start with a new manager who might take some time to build the team as he wants.

So overall, for Manchester United, he hasns't done a whole lot of good.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I don't understand his absolute certainty that we would not see a different Paul Pogba under a diffrent manager and he "can assure us that we won't". For starters absolutely nobody can assure or guarantee anyone of that!.Secondly from a logical viewpoint, the idea that switching from a fundamentally defensive and rigid tactical set up, under a manager synonymous with a safety first approach would result in the same performances from an imaginative and creative midfielder in a more expressive attack minded system is completely naive.
Just think like a pundit for a second.

A) Most United fans will be happy that he is calling out Pogba, because he clearly is too big for his boots. Most other fans will find it amusing.
B) The heavy dismissing of a clearly talented player is controversial or put in another way its saying something and that's what pundits are paid to do.
C) whilst it could trigger a positive reaction from Pogba, it may also throw more fuel on the flames and I'm sure Carragher would like to see United in disarray. But mostly points A & B

Watch most radio or TV on sport and you'll get a common trend, one pundit backs one view and the other another view. I'm sure these things are thought out and pre agreed. Sky are the masters of this and Neville and Carragher have clearly been tuned into this ying and yang mentality.

That might be besides the point in this case, as a Carragher piece, but the principles will be ingrained.

Amir

Taken us from 5th, to 2nd in 2 seasons, winning 2 pieces of silverware and reaching another final in the process.

He's also overhauled areas of the team is United fans have been crying out for but he still has work to do. He's made mistakes, it hasn't been pretty at times, far from, but we have done better in his two years than most clubs.
We've also spent a lot more than most clubs.

Amir

That only works if Mourinho is doing a good enough job. Keeping him when he should already have been fired just to send a message would hardly be for the benefit of the club.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Taken us from 5th, to 2nd in 2 seasons, winning 2 pieces of silverware and reaching another final in the process.

He's also overhauled areas of the team is United fans have been crying out for but he still has work to do. He's made mistakes, it hasn't been pretty at times, far from, but we have done better in his two years than most clubs.
Well you should expect an uptick in league position when you spend £400m

JPRouve

Scout
That only works if Mourinho is doing a good enough job. Keeping him when he should already have been fired just to send a message would hardly be for the benefit of the club.
Exactly, it's as if people missed the part where the manager has a job to do for the club, the way he performs it will determine to which degree he is dispensable. The same applies with players. What people are suggesting is clear mismanagement where they put image over substance and management with clichés.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
First of all, do you really think we would have sold Pogba for a better offer? I think that was a non starter.

As for the rest, comparing football to other jobs is plain wrong, for several reason. One is that in other jobs, you can quit. Second is in football, and sports in general, careers are short so 'waiting it out' is a lot tougher because there's a bigger price to pay. And third - in football, in general, the players are bigger stars than their their managers. It's not the usual boss-employee situation.

Football is a business like no other business. If I felt I had a manager who was harming my career, I'd leave. You want Pogba to shut up and hope things improve. I understand why he won't.
I disagree with you.

Football is no different to any other business. A CEO/CFO will always focus on the talent and if that talents rough edges are adversely affecting the sum of the parts than the most adverse part has to go.

Naturally the value of those parts might be harder to compare, but it a marketing and sales director were in dispute you could have similar challenges and have to decide who has the biggest impact.

Also don't assume more senior people in work places are more talented. Sometimes the biggest assets are the less senior people who do most of the technical work.

Its actually much easier to replace senior people.

Amir

I disagree with you.

Football is no different to any other business. A CEO/CFO will always focus on the talent and if that talents rough edges are adversely affecting the sum of the parts than the most adverse part has to go.

Naturally the value of those parts might be harder to compare, but it a marketing and sales director were in dispute you could have similar challenges and have to decide who has the biggest impact.
Well, let's look at this another way. If football is a business like any other business, would Mourinho still have a job after his performance over the last two years, including his remarks regarding the lads who work under him?

Amir

Funnily enough, less than the two who are more successful than us the past 5 years.
And I believe very few people are saying we failed beacuse he hasn't won the league or the CL. It's the way we play and the way our players have stuttered, which more than hints to us NOT being able to make the next step in the future.

Exactly it's just wishful thinking from him - look at Pogba under conte, deschamps and allegri. Completely different to how he is under Jose and for the better.

He's just hoping Pogba doesn't improve with a new coach.

JPRouve

Scout
Well, let's look at this another way. If football is a business like any other business, would Mourinho still have a job after his performance over the last two years, including his remarks regarding the lads who work under him?
Probably because letting him go is really expensive and his failure is only relative, the club has acceptable performances and makes money. The issue is with the relative part and at which point his performances and attitude become detrimental to the point where sacking him his worth the money it will cost.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Most certainly when you weigh up his achievements. I saw an interesting piece that said both have been at the club the same amount of time, but Mourinho with two trophies and a 2nd place is more of an achievement than anything Pogba has done for United.

You also have to look at how easy it is to improve upon Mourinho and that is far from a sure thing. Sometimes better to let the project run on than to start again from a cost perspective.

I've seen top senior guys described as 'spikey', but that offer a lot from a business driving point of view.
Managing personalities is an industry in itself and those personalities have common attributes in all environments

Amir

Most certainly when you weigh up his achievements. I saw an interesting piece that said both have been at the club the same amount of time, but Mourinho with two trophies and a 2nd place is more of an achievement than anything Pogba has done for United.

You also have to look at how easy it is to improve upon Mourinho and that is far from a sure thing. Sometimes better to let the project run on than to start again from a cost perspective.

I've seen top senior guys described as 'spikey', but that offer a lot from a business driving point of view.
Managing personalities is an industry in itself and those personalities have common attributes in all environments
Well, that brings me right back to original claim. Football is a business like no other business. What could have been right for Apple is irrelevant to us. United are going nowhere with Mourinho. Not in terms of football and achievements, anyway.

Fracture90

People wanna have their cake and eat it.

It's OK for Mourinho to have a go at the players and higher-ups (questioning Woodward regarding transfers) but not OK for Pogba who's on the pitch to say we should be more attacking?

It's not OK for either of them, but it's Mourinho who gave Pogba the example to follow when he opted to run his mouth to the media about everything.

Brophs

The One and Only
This isn’t that complicated, is it? Mourinho is not doing a good job. Pogba has been okay on the field, but nowhere near what we thought we were getting. He’s also openly, whether by his own hand or his agent’s, disrespecting the manager and the club. They can both piss off, quite frankly.

And we all know that when Pogba leaves and has a few good games, the RedCafe player fans will get all arsey with the ‘one that got away’ nonsense.

CA1

The rat and his agent need to be banished from the club immediately.

Mourinho needs to be backed on any in/out.

CA1

Mourinho also needs to be outed.
No he doesn't. He's the only one at the club who has a hunger to win. He wants it more than any owner/board member/player and he's the one people want rid of.

Joeace2020

This thread is already 38 pages full. Everywhere he goes, he divides people, breaks clubs in half - one set of supporters and another, one group of players and another, those for and the majority against him in the press. I don't know about you, but true fans can see a divisive figure from 100 meters away. I would never in a million years trust this man over what the players at the club feel.

Canagel

People wanna have their cake and eat it.

It's OK for Mourinho to have a go at the players and higher-ups (questioning Woodward regarding transfers) but not OK for Pogba who's on the pitch to say we should be more attacking?

It's not OK for either of them, but it's Mourinho who gave Pogba the example to follow when he opted to run his mouth to the media about everything.
For me it's not even about that. I don't see any problem with saying we should attack more. If you really support the club you support it's traditions, you won't see any problem with saying we should attack more.

el3mel

You can quit in football. Bring a good offer suits your value and you can leave any time. No one is forced to play for any club.

If he made his intentions clear earlier in summer, and Barca came with a magnificent offer, with a lot of time to bring replacement, I think we could have discussed it yeah.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No he doesn't. He's the only one at the club who has a hunger to win. He wants it more than any owner/board member/player and he's the one people want rid of.
That's the scary part. Whether you like Jose or not, I feel like he's the one that is more aligned with the fans and what is expected. The players and Woodward don't seem to be. Jose does go about it perhaps in the wrong way sometimes, but I think he's really frustrated here and lashes out at those he thinks can make a difference but aren't for whatever reason.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
For me it's not even about that. I don't see any problem with saying we should attack more. If you really support the club you support it's traditions, you won't see any problem with saying we should attack more.
I think everybody, including Mourinho, wants us to play better going forward. Jose has said many times that he's not happy with the players sitting deep etc. It just feels insubordinate for Pogba to say it, as though everyone else is the problem. I thought he had a good game against wolves apart from the error, but there's more he could do to allow us to be a better team. Mainly off the ball and with his consistency and decision making. Thing is, he doesn't realise that our midfield being solid provides the platform for attack. He seems to think it's all about the flash shit he does on the ball.

I actually think Pogba is just a bit thick really.

Fracture90

Regarding wanting us to attack more, that's completely fine, however part where he says "I'm not the manager" that's the issue and he probably shouldn't have said it even tho I can understand why he's said it.

RedB4ndiT

Mou is fighting a losing battle. Woodward will always choose Pogba over Mou. In a way, this is a good thing because this could pave the way for Woodward to fire Mou. It just sucks though that this didn't happen sooner. Otherwise, Tuchel or Sarri would still have been available.

Amir

You can quit in football. Bring a good offer suits your value and you can leave any time. No one is forced to play for any club.

If he made his intentions clear earlier in summer, and Barca came with a magnificent offer, with a lot of time to bring replacement, I think we could have discussed it yeah.
You can leave a club, it's not like quitting. Normally in real life, you simple hand in your resignation. In football, a club has no obligation to sell you. And sometimes they don't. And even if they are willing, you need another club to pay a transfer fee, which sometimes clubs fail to agree. There's a huge difference.

el3mel

You can leave a club, it's not like quitting. Normally in real life, you simple hand in your resignation. In football, a club has no obligation to sell you. And sometimes they don't. And even if they are willing, you need another club to pay a transfer fee, which sometimes clubs fail to agree. There's a huge difference.
Don't think a club will be happy keeping an unhappy player who wants out. It can turn toxic for everyone fast.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am willing to give Mou the benefit of the doubt IF Pogba was the only players he had issue with. Pogba has never had any issues with Juventus or France. Yet, he's the sort of player you need to build a squad around. So one can understand if managers ends up losing patience with him, although tbf Conte did took the best of the boy and character wise he makes the likes of Mourinho look like cuddly teletubbies.

However these issues aren't reserved to just Pogba. Mou went very hard on Shaw in the past with rumours of him turning Everton down this summer forcing Mou's hand to keep him. The gaffer has also issues with Martial and Woodward. Meanwhile DDG was set to sign a new contract but everything went cold on that side and Sanchez and Rashford's performances had nosedived under him. Out of the 10 signings he already made Mou had burnt bridges with 2 (Mkhitaryan and Pogba) and he seem losing interest in another 2 (Bailly and Lindelof) as he's quite determined to add a new CB to the team. That's 40% of the transfers made. Meanwhile his assistant left him, he had arguments with his former doctor Eva Carniero and his relationship with Emenalo are known to be tense.

We're also talking here about a guy who lost the dressing room at Chelsea and there's every chance he did the same at Real too. So I really wonder if he's mismanaging Pogba and Martial in the same way he did with De Bruyne, Lukaku and Salah. Imagine what sort of team Chelsea would have had with those around.

TBF he seem to have the support of the grafters ie the Valencias, the Lingards, the Fellainis and of course Matic. However, he need to understand that we're Manchester United. Our aim is to seriously compete for the CL not to bully ourselves in remaining in the EPL. So seriously, if he can't handle the talented players anymore then maybe its time for him to move to a club were these sort of players are somehow rare. I suggest Stoke would be the right fit. He might even be able to take his beloved Lindelof and Fellaini with him if he asks nicely.

Mcking

Don't take my word for it, why not listen to someone who knows more than both of us do?
Arrrgggh Jamie Carragher. Imagine Mourinho at Liverpool, messing up everything, getting dominated by Championship opposition, playing soul crushing football and picking up a fight with Liverpool's best player. Lets not pretend that Carragher would make those exact comments.
Btw, what has Pogba done or said to prove that he thinks he is bigger than the club? I'm asking you.

redIndianDevil

Indeed they should. You presumably would rather Paul Pogba takes over responsibility for managing the team?
No I'd rather Mourinho do his job and coach the team properly and Pogba train and do his job properly. And I want both of them to take responsibility for their failures if they feel the need to bitch to the media rather than keeping things in-house.

Edit Incidentally, I'm actually in favour of devolving some of the power Ferguson had (eg I have no problem at all with the 'Head Coach' model, with transfers devolved to a Director of Football - but even in that scenario, players criticising their boss publicly, absolutely has to be a no-go, and I'd expect the club to side with the coach against any player who was seeking to undermine his authority.
Mourinho is not the boss, he is a manager(head coach more like), he can point out the mistakes in players on occasion to the press but not throw them under the bus repeatedly to save face. And none of this would be happening if Mourinho can coach properly, he is struggling to set up a proper attack after two years, he can't keep deflecting his short-comings on to the players and expect them to knuckle under for long.

JPRouve

Scout
Sorry dont understand
To be honest I reread your post and I'm not even sure about what we are arguing other than being the manager had nothing to do with it, I agree with the rest since it was my point. If you perform at a high level and if you are the biggest asset, the club will always back you which was the case for SAF. Where I disagree is with the reverse argument that because you are the manager then you are the biggest asset, that argument would suggest that all managing appointments are correct at the time of the appointment and during the entire course of the tenure which is obviously wrong.