Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
After the Burnley draw, the Portuguese bemoaned City's spending power, having signed full-backs Kyle Walker and Benjamin Mendy for £102million.

"When you say a club like Manchester United, do you think Milan is not as big as us?" Mourinho asked. "You think they are not as big as we are? Do you think Real Madrid are not as big as we are? You think Inter Milan is not as big as we are? There are many big clubs and you say big clubs, I know what is a big club.
"One thing is a big club and another thing is a big football team that you know is not one of the best teams in the world, so when you speak about responsibilities to win the Premier League, Tottenham does not have that responsibility. Tottenham is not a club with the same history as us. Arsenal doesn't have the responsibility to win it, Chelsea doesn't have the responsibility to win it.

"Manchester City buy the full-backs for the price of the strikers, so when you speak about big football clubs, you are speaking about the history of the club."

Mourinho has spent £286.2million on seven players since he was appointed United manager and when that figure was mentioned, he replied: "Is not enough, is not enough. And the price for the big clubs, the price for the big clubs is different from the other clubs, so the big, historical clubs are normally punished in the market for that history
So the boys are doing what they can and they are doing fine, you say seven points from 16 or 15, something like you say, I say last two matches we had 15 chances to score and we concede three S[**t] goals and an amazing free-kick.

"So the boys do what they can, they are trying hard with the problems and injuries we have. I am not happy with the result, and against Leicester, but I am happy with my players."
He is right i think, when united are interested the price is just going to be more expensive than when say tottenham are interested. Pep has thrown money at his problems and he already had a team that was not far away. They already had 4/5 world class players(aguero,silva,KDB,Kompany,), whereas at united mourinho has had 3 years of poor spending and is still playing with players that sir alex left him with.
since fergie retired city have spent
2013/14 -103 million
2014/15 - 90 million
2015/16 - 152 million
2016/17 -168 million
2017/18 - 219 million
Ie = 732 million

United-
2013/14 - 67 million
14/15- 145 million
15/16- 103 million
16/17- 149 million
17/18 - 160 million
= 624 million

While united lost all the spine of their team, city had great players and kept spending and improving. I think moyes really fecked us up, also di maria was a faliure of a signing who shouldnt even be taken into account so the gap is about 150 million. Could we match city after spending 150 million more than them and getting to a level pegging even though pep started with a better team than Mourinho.
I think mourinho is right in asking for equal spending if he is tasked with responsibility of winning the title then he needs level spending. Pep will throw money at his problems, he lost mendy to injury and talks about signing more fullbacks. The perception of pep is just different because he plays better football and has won things with best squads in leagues he has managed.

MJJ

He is right i think, when united are interested the price is just going to be more expensive than when say tottenham are interested. Pep has thrown money at his problems and he already had a team that was not far away. They already had 4/5 world class players(aguero,silva,KDB,Kompany,), whereas at united mourinho has had 3 years of poor spending and is still playing with players that sir alex left him with.
2013/14 -103 million
2014/15 - 90 million
2015/16 - 152 million
2016/17 -168 million
2017/18 - 219 million
Ie = 732 million

United-
2013/14 - 67 million
14/15- 145 million
15/16- 103 million
16/17- 149 million
17/18 - 160 million
= 624 million

While united lost all the spine of their team, city had great players and kept spending and improving. I think moyes really fecked us up, also di maria was a faliure of a signing who shouldnt even be taken into account so the gap is about 150 million. Could we match city after spending 150 million more than them and getting to a level pegging even though pep started with a better team than Mourinho.
I think mourinho is right in asking for equal spending if he is tasked with responsibility of winning the title then he needs level spending. Pep will throw money at his problems, he lost mendy to injury and talks about signing more fullbacks. The perception of pep is just different because he plays better football and has won things with best squads in leagues he has managed.
Meh excuses, he wanted four in the first transfer window and he got four. He wanted four last window and he got three of his choices and didn't get the fourth cos he had no alternates.

The board has backed him and this just sounds like more excuses to me.

Also you say Di Maria is a waste so shouldn't count but include rubbish like bravo, nolito,bunch of other failed signings to city's total.

spiriticon

It's not the boards fault he buys average players like Mhkitaryan, Lindelof and Lukaku for big money.

He should do his fecking homework before moaning. Lazy comments from the boss.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's more than enough to challenge and play great attacking football.

Lukaku isn't proving to be world beater. Mkhi has been trash. And Lindelof is taking ages to settle in.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Excuses excuses. If he can't turn us into winners with the current budget which is pretty huge, then let us find someone who can.

AndyJ1985

Don't like hearing him say that. Imagine being the owner of United and hearing the manager saying £300m isn't enough. It takes the piss. That's a huge amount of money and we should have a better team after spending so much

Kapardin

He had to buy Pogba for a huge fee. Lukaku was the only striker available in the market. It was either that or go strikerless into the new season.

He has by and large bought well. Like Guardiola did with Nolito and Bravo, he has made a mistake in buying Mkhi. Now we need to see whether he, like Guardiola, will be given the cash to rectify the mistake, and whether he will buy wisely now.

Bojan11

His point is that when we are interested in a player then the price goes up. Which is a fair point. See Morata for example.

amolbhatia50k

How many clubs in Europe spend more than us?
Over the last 3/4 seasons I doubt anyone has other than City and PSG. Even if City spend more, A) it's possible to counter that through better management/signings than them, and B) either way we shouldn't be 14/15 points behind.

amolbhatia50k

He had to buy Pogba for a huge fee. Lukaku was the only striker available in the market. It was either that or go strikerless into the new season.

He has by and large bought well. Like Guardiola did with Nolito and Bravo, he has made a mistake in buying Mkhi. Now we need to see whether he, like Guardiola, will be given the cash to rectify the mistake, and whether he will buy wisely now.
Morata wasn't available?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
The fact is the players we have bought have been massively over priced and our scouting team should be sacked on the back of the latest arrivals.

AshRK

He has to be ruthless. Sell deadwoods and stop over rating average players like fellaini. It's comical how we are begging a donkey like fellaini to sign a contract. That shows how far we have fallen. This is the same club who said feck off to the likes of Beckham, RVN, tevez and almost sold rooney as he was keeping the club on ransom but now are begging fellaini to sign a contract.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Meh excuses, he wanted four in the first transfer window and he got four. He wanted four last window and he got three of his choices and didn't get the fourth cos he had no alternates.

The board has backed him and this just sounds like more excuses to me.

Also you say Di Maria is a waste so shouldn't count but include rubbish like bravo, nolito,bunch of other failed signings to city's total.
Di maria left for huge money and never felt like he played here, he is just skewing the numbers. While others all stayed and played their part. I do get what you are saying, i think you are right in your own way.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Moaning about funds having spent over £300m in two summer windows. Not sure he will get too much sympathy for that.

He used to moan about lack of funds in his 1st stint at Chelsea too, think it was in his 3rd season after comfortably outspending everyone else the previous two

Raw

It seems like every time we buy some new players they quickly become deadwood a few years later. Especially the LVG signings.

Water Melon

So now he is not happy with the money he was given. I also like he says that the players are playing at their best and that is the best they have to offer. It is never his fault, it is everyone bar him. Players are not good enough, money is not enough...

Klean

LOL. This thread title. Read the full quotes. He is saying because United is a large club they will have to pay more for players. He admits the team still has weaknesses and is proud of his players for his efforts. Some of you need to get a grip.

Reactions: Raoul

kps88

Excuses excuses. If he can't turn us into winners with the current budget which is pretty huge, then let us find someone who can.
Already won us a couple of trophies. We'll be looking for a while if you want someone to beat what City are currently doing.

Josep Dowling

I think this is a problem that people don’t realise. Lukaku to a degree was a panic buy at the price we paid. It was a choice between him and Morata and even then Real Madrid wanted £20m more than what they eventually sold to Chelsea.

When you are being quoted £100m for a striker like Belotti what can we do?

amolbhatia50k

Morata isnt better. They are same level, i think if he had morata, people here would want lukaku.
Nothing is decided in this regard. Either may end up proving to be better. Just goes to show that it's not that there was a single option in the market.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
People also forget, pep inherited a better team with great players, its easier to improve already great team to world class, its another job to build a team in mess to a great one.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
He is right i think, when united are interested the price is just going to be more expensive than when say tottenham are interested.
So we need to be the biggest spender to become a winner? After all those snide remarks about City buying the title, we now want to go the same way. We have a decent squad. Need some reinforcements, but no need to "throw the cash".

Jose is not getting the best out of this team. I'm getting tired of his excuses.

amolbhatia50k

People also forget, pep inherited a better team with great players, its easier to improve already great team to world class, its another job to build a team in mess to a great one.
We weren't in a mess. 5th is not a mess if 4th isn't. Fair enough if you think we had less than City, but there's no chance they had 'great players' and we were 'a mess' is an accurate description. Suits the poor little Jose narrative I suppose.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Our signings have poor been regardless of the price. I would say, post Fergie only these players were the proper signings
- Mata
- Pogba
- Martial
- Bailly
- Romero
- Shaw
- Matic
- Lukaku
- AdM
410 mil

Poor/Average
- Rojo
- Herrera
- Depay
- Schneiderlin
- Mkhi
- Darmian
- Blind
- Fellaini
182 mil

We have persisted with the average ones for far too long. We have three CMs, three fullbacks and two wingers in the average list. And those are the positions we are struggling in these days. Had we spent this money on better players, we would have been up there in the table. We should be starting to ship a few and improve upon these. January couldn't have come sooner.

I have seen signs of improvement in Lindelof.
Ibrahimovic signing has taken us back with the striker department. Yes he scored important goals, but we should have bought a better striker and build a team. Stop gaps won't work.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
There are six teams going for one position, three, possibly four, which are spending a lot of money each summer. Therefore five teams have to lose out.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Nothing is decided in this regard. Either may end up proving to be better. Just goes to show that it's not that there was a single option in the market.
Morata 12 goals 4 assists- plays for last years champions
Lukaku 14 goals 4 assists - plays for 6 th place team with serious lack of creativity.
If we had morata we would be worse off.

spiriticon

LOL. This thread title. Read the full quotes. He is saying because United is a large club they will have to pay more for players. He admits the team still has weaknesses and is proud of his players for his efforts. Some of you need to get a grip.
Us having to pay more for players isn't a particularly new revolution. It's always been the case.

We can't match City for spending. We don't have oil. So, he has to be smarter with his spending and work his team a bit harder to scout.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Quotes don't read well, not what you want him to be coming out with right now, especially given the PSG rumors. Need to watch it in full though.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
2013/14 -103 million
2014/15 - 90 million
2015/16 - 152 million
2016/17 -168 million
2017/18 - 219 million
Ie = 732 million

United-
2013/14 - 67 million
14/15- 145 million
15/16- 103 million
16/17- 149 million
17/18 - 160 million
= 624 million

Totally agree though I expect this thread to be high-jacked by the anti Mourinho brigade.

settembrini

Our current run of poor form has nothing to do with lack of spending and everything to do with Mourinho abandoning the successful 3-4-1-2 system.

Bojan11

We weren't in a mess. 5th is not a mess if 4th isn't. Fair enough if you think we had less than City, but there's no chance they had 'great players' and we were 'a mess' is an accurate description. Suits the poor little Jose narrative I suppose.
City had De Bruyne, Aguero and Silva. Three world class players when Pep arrived. How many outfield world class players did we have?

How many of our attackers would get in any of the other top 6 sides? I’d say none. Jose issue is he hasn’t improved a poor shot shy attack. He just replaced Ibrahimovic with Lukaku from last year.

AndyJ1985

Our signings have been regardless of the price. I would say, post Fergie only these players were the proper signings
- Mata
- Pogba
- Martial
- Bailly
- Romero
- Shaw
- Matic
- Lukaku
- AdM
410 mil

Poor/Average
- Rojo
- Herrera
- Depay
- Schneiderlin
- Mkhi
- Darmian
- Blind
- Fellaini
182 mil

We have persisted with the average ones for far too long. We have three CMs, three fullbacks and two wingers in the average list. And those are the positions we are struggling in these days. Had we spent this money on better players, we would have been up there in the table. We should be starting to ship a few and improve upon these. January couldn't have come sooner.
When you look at what we got for almost £600m it becomes clear why we're still not very good. An absolute fortune spent and very few great players bought. If you gave Real Madrid or PSG £600m they'd build a team of superstars. We've bought a team full of mediocrity. It's ridiculous it really is