Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

ti vu

Don't get me wrong. I'm refuting the rationale that the 4th signing didn't go through because of spending limits when there were other considerations at play that made the club feel it wasn't a worthwhile investment. Replace Griez's name with a 25 year old Perisic alternative and I think we don't 'cheap out'
I understand your point totally. I just give my on take. From what I see with Griezmann, it's more compelling from financial perspective as in long run, we likely make back the money. other signings even cheaper wouldn't guarantee profit return.

Edit: Perisic is much older than that hence which strengthen the point in the men who hold the purse may not be as enthuastic if looking from financial pov.

Hammondo

Simply not true though or city would win every year. City have won 1 in the last 5 seasons but they have had the most expensive squad. Leicester city won the PL 2 seasons ago and Chelsea have won 2 of the last 3. It is total nonsense.

Reactions: golden_blunder

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
Rangers FC & the red devils
City squad was better than Man Utd squad when Jose took over IMO (sorry just opinion) so how can the squad that started off better receive more investment and this one be expected to overtake them.

redIndianDevil

It's time to do what Bayern and Juventus have been doing for a long time, identify young players and sign them on the cheap whilst having a solid core of good players. There is no way we can compete with the oil clubs, Real Madrid and Barcelona. It's time to get smarter and bin this galactico approach of signing stars.

Find and fix a way of football that we want to see and scout players suiting that style and sign them young. We cannot rely on managers anymore, even Mourinho is extremely volatile and we cannot appoint another manager and let that guy spend another 300 million.

finneh

We've spent around £160m - £180m each of the last 2 seasons while being self funded. I'd expect at least the same again or it shows a lack of ambition.

In fact, considering the fact that player prices are increasing and so is the pending TV money we should spend more. City have spent £80m more than us over the last 2 seasons and it shows. This isn't even taking into account how far we fell back after the massive under-investment we suffered for Fergies final 5 years and the mismanagement of his departure.
I'd imagine we'll be looking at a large signing at c.£90m and maybe two cheaper signings at £30-40m so we'll probably touch the lower band of the kind of level you're talking about.

I wouldn't be expecting a Man City type Summer though where we sign 5 players at near £45m each.

Stacks

Are you playing dumb? The point is about our current budget. Clearly we don't have time to sign great player and wait years to add another. City spent last summer more than the cost of Coutinho. Go dispute with that
They also raise £85million through player sales. if we did the same, maybe we could spend more than the cost of Coutinho. This has been intimated in various news sources that we must raise additional funds through player sales. Welcome to real life football. sometimes you must sell to buy. Why keep players like Miki, Blind, Darmian, Shaw, Fellaini. stick or twist

liamp

They also raise £85million through player sales. if we did the same, maybe we could spend more than the cost of Coutinho. This has been intimated in various news sources that we must raise additional funds through player sales. Welcome to real life football. sometimes you must sell to buy. Why keep players like Miki, Blind, Darmian, Shaw, Fellaini. stick or twist
Because in real life football, you can't just foist underperforming players on big contracts off on other teams.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
City squad was better than Man Utd squad when Jose took over IMO (sorry just opinion) so how can the squad that started off better receive more investment and this one be expected to overtake them.
I doubt that the MCFC fans (who claim to be MUFC fans) will be able to answer that question.

ti vu

Then we also raised not bad amount of cash getting rid Schneiderlin, Memphis, Januzaj... which we didn't use for anything last winter. Then you get some random amount from Keane & Drinkwater sell on when they move club. These I don't see any papers listed as our income. Freeing up millions from the like of Bastian. Freeing up Rooney wage offset some transfer fee for Lukaku... Put thing into perspective, clearly the previous regimes cost us. So because of they we're limiting our spending when we have more to fix? We're selling at loss and not getting more money selling surplus directly (Keane). If we have strong squad and then we can easily sell our surplus. In reality, we come into the season unsure about Young and Shaw; Blind & Darmian were there as back up, which clearly City didn't have to worry about. There were a period where Matic had to play every game and we need Fellaini to help as rotation. Can you compare that to sign Bernado Silva for 50+mil just to rotate.

Someone like Bony, Nasri, Fernando, Nolito... were sold at big(ger) loss than we sold Memphis & Schneiderlin. Joe Hart who now relegated to the bench at WH, earned them loan fee which the paper included as them raising their transfer budget, but remember they wasted nearly 20mil last summer to have Bravo now sitting on the bench. They have a young player they sold for good price, which clearly if Mourinho is to sell one of those, our fan would riot for not giving youth a chance

In real life, before trying to sound like we know everything, we should first analyze thing the best we can. Just because some site doing (bad) homework for you, doesn't mean it was all correct info.

Last edited:

wolvored

Then we also raised not bad amount of cash getting rid Schneiderlin, Memphis, Januzaj... which we didn't use for anything last winter. Then you get some random amount from Keane & Drinkwater sell on when they move club. These I don't see any papers listed as our income. Freeing up millions from the like of Bastian. Freeing up Rooney wage offset some transfer fee for Lukaku... Put thing into perspective, clearly the previous regimes cost us. So because of they we're limiting our spending when we have more to fix? We're selling at loss and not getting more money selling surplus directly (Keane). If we have strong squad and then we can easily sell our surplus. In reality, we come into the season unsure about Young and Shaw; Blind & Darmian were there as back up, which clearly City didn't have to worry about. There were a period where Matic had to play every game and we need Fellaini to help as rotation. Can you compare that to sign Bernado Silva for 50+mil just to rotate.

Someone like Bony, Nasri, Fernando, Nolito... were sold at big(ger) loss than we sold Memphis & Schneiderlin. Joe Hart who now relegated to the bench at WH, earned them loan fee which the paper included as them raising their transfer budget, but remember they wasted nearly 20mil last summer to have Bravo now sitting on the bench. They have a young player they sold for good price, which clearly if Mourinho is to sell one of those, our fan would riot for not giving youth a chance

In real life, before trying to sound like we know everything, we should first analyze thing the best we can. Just because some site doing (bad) homework for you, doesn't mean it was all correct info.
Utd actually lost money selling them cheaper than we bought them for

Stacks

Just sounds like a load of excuses really. we were pursuing Perisic so more than 150million was available. We were also chasing Griezmann. these are all in spite of limited transfer sales. So what if Bernado is on the bench now? he is bought to replace Silva long term. He has to wait his time as Silva is past 30. So what if Nasri Nolito and co were sold at a loss. If we sell Mata or any of our players it will be at a loss as we buy high, sale low and always have.

ti vu

Utd actually lost money selling them cheaper than we bought them for
Did you read?

How about Bony, Nasri, Fernand, Nolito? Not to count few others free agent who started quite fair chunk of games for City last season gone and they got nothing. That's what so called City raising transfer fund the other poster used to justify City spending!!!

Last edited:

wolvored

Did you read?

How about Bony, Nasri, Fernand, Nolito? Not to count few others free agent who started quite fair chunk of game. That's what so called City raising transfer fund the other poster used to justify City spending!!!
Sorry I only read the first couple of lines, and the phone went off and I answered while talking... Should have read the rest.

ti vu

Just sounds like a load of excuses really. we were pursuing Perisic so more than 150million was available. We were also chasing Griezmann. these are all in spite of limited transfer sales. So what if Bernado is on the bench now? he is bought to replace Silva long term. He has to wait his time as Silva is past 30. So what if Nasri Nolito and co were sold at a loss. If we sell Mata or any of our players it will be at a loss as we buy high, sale low and always have.
I don't want to repeat what I already said so go back and read re-Griezmann Perisic. So City has the benefit of long term replacing their current starting when we're short on money to upgrade our starting XI... yeah sound fair.

You were complaining that we couldn't raise fund for our transfer with your last post right? You answered yourself: we let the previous managers bought badly and selling them doesn't yield much fee and we don't even have enough depth in certain positions to sell without buying. Why City who has stronger backbone can spend more to strengthen but us having problem is limited.

Stacks

I don't want to repeat what I already said so go back and read re-Griezmann Perisic. So City has the benefit of long term replacing their current starting when we're short on money to upgrade our starting XI... yeah sound fair.

You were complaining that we couldn't raise fund for our transfer with your last post right? You answered yourself: we let the previous managers bought badly and selling them doesn't yield much fee and we don't even have enough depth in certain positions to sell without buying. Why City who has stronger backbone can spend more to strengthen but us having problem is limited.
We could easily sell Shaw, Blind Miki and get 80 million. then we replace them with 2 players. sorted

ti vu

We could easily sell Shaw, Blind Miki and get 80 million. then we replace them with 2 players. sorted
Who would have bought Shaw & Blind last summer combined with Mkhi for 80 mil? Mkhi was part of the team. We don't have foresight how thing would turn out like this. And 80mil wouldn't buy you both a great no 10 nor a great fullback. You have hindsight now. Look up who are these cheap no 10, and full back that fit that price last summer

Last edited:

Wan

So according to your logic we spent around 145m last summer. We were prepared to go as far as another 40m for Perisic which is still available. Adding them up it's 180m per season right ti vu? So 180m+40 we have 220m to spend?

160m for Dybala
60m for Sandro
Ozil on a free.

Sorted.

ti vu

So according to your logic we spent around 145m last summer. We were prepared to go as far as another 40m for Perisic which is still available. Adding them up it's 180m per season right ti vu? So 180m+40 we have 220m to spend?

160m for Dybala
60m for Sandro
Ozil on a free.

Sorted.
No. Not my point. My point is we should set our targets and go and get them. If they're unobtainable (ridiculously overpriced), change to alternatives, but never go into season with an incomplete transfer window. We may pay more in one summer than we had and would ever be, but in return we finish building phase. May it 250mil or 300mil window. Doesn't matter at this point since with this market the following year you can spend 300mil and you may end up with less players and less quality

Sing you a song

A couple of points on this window , with transfer fees spiralling way out of control and only likely to increase . We should be taking advantage of the end of contract episodes that are occurring .
With Chelsea nabbing Barkley for absolute peanuts and Ozil , Wilshire and Snachez in the same position I Will be absolutely gutted if we don't make a move for at least one of these .
If we are in to buy griezman for 100m would it not be more sensible to throw our hat in the ring for Sanchez and offer say 25m , both would demand obscene wages anyway so why not save 75m on the fee , rather than stand back and watch another club take advantage of the situation ( and remember Sanchez is proven in the premiership ).
With regard to Wilshire if we could give him a strict medical to establish his fitness he would be a fantastic all action solution to play next to Pogba .

These opportunities don't come around often and when they do why on earth don't we move in on them , we are likely to suffer the downside with regard to Fellaini moving for peanuts why not look for an upside for us .

Chelsea have already strengthened we mustn't be left behind . United are now away for a week of warm weather training in Dubai , our transfer business should have been done so that any new buys could be on that trip and settling into the squad .
As usual Woodward will be hesitating and if we get anyone you can guarantee it will be in the final days of the window and by paying a premium price and it will then take them time to settle into the squad .
We really need to wise up.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I think Liverpool if they get either of Lemar/Mahrez will be outspending us.
VVd -80 million euros
Keita -72 million euros
Salah- 42 million euros
The ox- 38 million euros
Robertson -9 million
Solanke - 4 million
Mane - 40 Million euros
WIjnaldum - 28 million
Klavan -5 million
Karius -6 million

That is a total of 324 million euros + any coutinho replacement (Likely to be 90-100 million euros).
Jose being right is more and more clear to everyone with competition spending so much money around us, we need to spend more to compete considering all these teams finished above us.

cyril C

If we got Pochettino in instead then I'd see that as an upgrade. A young hungry manager ready for the next level who plays the right way, develops talented kids, never moans about not having cash to spend.....Pep had no experience when he took over at Barca, Zidane too at Madrid, Valverde hardly was dripping with trophies when Barca decided to go for him.
I am not a close follower of Spurs or Po. Question is - did Po pick Kane from Academy, and buy Ali? Did he buy Erikson as well? And the like of Rose and Walker? Manager should get credit for elevating Academy players to senior squad hence LVG should take credit on Lingard and Rashford, but likewise Pep can take credit for raising Sterling's performance. My point is, just because Po was at the right place at the right time, he should not take credit on all the performing players at Spurs.

Stacks

I think Liverpool if they get either of Lemar/Mahrez will be outspending us.
VVd -80 million euros
Keita -72 million euros
Salah- 42 million euros
The ox- 38 million euros
Robertson -9 million
Solanke - 4 million
Mane - 40 Million euros
WIjnaldum - 28 million
Klavan -5 million
Karius -6 million

That is a total of 324 million euros + any coutinho replacement (Likely to be 90-100 million euros).
Jose being right is more and more clear to everyone with competition spending so much money around us, we need to spend more to compete considering all these teams finished above us.
They just sold one of their best players for 150mill. If we sell a Pogba for 150m then I am sure we could do the same. so no, Jose is not right.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
They just sold one of their best players for 150mill. If we sell a Pogba for 150m then I am sure we could do the same. so no, Jose is not right.
Actually we dint, we sold Ronaldo for 80 million and bought valencia, obertan and Micheal owen on a free. It again brings to light the under investment in the squad. We dint sign a central midfielder for 6 years. So jose is right.

Toddler

The fact is that the investments made are not enough (Jose is right). We don't have good enough team... Whether its because we have invested poorly or not enough money is another story.

If you compare ours to city's squad throughout the last 5 years, I think they have had always the better quality team. And the fact remains that we have spent less money than they have in this span of time, which equals to less quality and which naturally results in a worse team. Simple.

We have invested poorly and not enough in my opinion. Put a little bit of more money on players and make a little bit better choices on who to buy and we are back in business. Fix one of those two and it is already much better!

Can we do that, I don't know!?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just a little pondering, continued from the Tierney thread.

If our annual budget is 150m (hypothetical, but seems to be quoted a bit, most recently by Luckhurst) then Jose has spent 225m ish, of his 300m budget from the last two seasons. If he's been told he's got 80m in January (recent reports), and will then get another 150m in the summer, that's 230m. If we can get 15m for Blind, 15m for Darmian and recoup the 27m for Mkhi, that's another 57m. 287m all in all. Now, say Palace sell Zaha and we've got that decent cut (presumably of the profit only, but most of the price will be pure profit for Palace) that might be 10-20m too.

So, if the 150m per year is close to the truth (net spend) and if we were to manage to shift all those players for those prices, we could be looking at 300m for the next 18months.

We need a left back, central midfielder, right sided attacker and a we might splurge on a second striker (or even a shadow striker /false9 a la Dybala).

Can that 150m figure be accurate? If it is, we're not in bad shape, even if the market is completely bonkers.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
It’s so fecking simple: buy the absolute top quality and you will win.

We haven’t done that since the early 2000s really - RVP and Pogba aside.

Stacks

Actually we dint, we sold Ronaldo for 80 million and bought valencia, obertan and Micheal owen on a free. It again brings to light the under investment in the squad. We dint sign a central midfielder for 6 years. So jose is right.
Since Ferguson has left we have spent more than almost everyone. If we sell someone for 100+ mill now, I am pretty sure we will reinvest it.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
The fact is that the investments made are not enough (Jose is right). We don't have good enough team... Whether its because we have invested poorly or not enough money is another story.

If you compare ours to city's squad throughout the last 5 years, I think they have had always the better quality team. And the fact remains that we have spent less money than they have in this span of time, which equals to less quality and which naturally results in a worse team. Simple.

We have invested poorly and not enough in my opinion. Put a little bit of more money on players and make a little bit better choices on who to buy and we are back in business. Fix one of those two and it is already much better!

Great post.

While I’d never deny Pep is doing a great job – Better than anyone in world football right now arguably – The idea that Mourinho has “failed” by comparison is such garbage. Any Utd fans peddling that should line should realise it’s stemming from the media and the fact that Mourinho and Utd are the most despised manager/club in the country. The same media that were ridiculously portraying Pep as a failure last season.

Mourinho has done remarkably well to get us to where we are now. We missed the top 4 in the worst PL season in recent history – Falling behind a City side who genuinely mailed in the last half of the season with a lame duck manager. The squad had De Gea, Martial and very little else. Rooney was still an ever present.

Objectively Pep inherited a far stronger side filled with world class players and has spent about 30% more on transfer fees. They’ve been the bookies favourites nearly every year since signing Aguero for good reason – They’ve been perennial underachievers in this era. There’s no logical reason at all that we should be better than them at this point and there won’t be until we actually match them. The fact that they’ll probably sign Sanchez to add to their already ridiculously talented attackers is hardly a great omen. Whatever Mourinho says he needs – We need to provide. We invested in him to win the league.

Stacks

Great post.

While I’d never deny Pep is doing a great job – Better than anyone in world football right now arguably – The idea that Mourinho has “failed” by comparison is such garbage. Any Utd fans peddling that should line should realise it’s stemming from the media and the fact that Mourinho and Utd are the most despised manager/club in the country. The same media that were ridiculously portraying Pep as a failure last season.

Mourinho has done remarkably well to get us to where we are now. We missed the top 4 in the worst PL season in recent history – Falling behind a City side who genuinely mailed in the last half of the season with a lame duck manager. The squad had De Gea, Martial and very little else. Rooney was still an ever present.

Objectively Pep inherited a far stronger side filled with world class players and has spent about 30% more on transfer fees. They’ve been the bookies favourites nearly every year since signing Aguero for good reason – They’ve been perennial underachievers in this era. There’s no logical reason at all that we should be better than them at this point and there won’t be until we actually match them. The fact that they’ll probably sign Sanchez to add to their already ridiculously talented attackers is hardly a great omen. Whatever Mourinho says he needs – We need to provide. We invested in him to win the league.
Their mystical team get better and better as time goes.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Silva isn't world class now. He is a top player but I wouldn't have him near my world 11. I firmly believe there are better Centre Midfield options. Many players look amazing in Pep system. Spain have better CM nowadays.
That's pretty ridiculous IMO - He's not even the one I thought was debateable but then again I consider him the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league so it's pretty subjective.

World Class is a loose definition as it is but you seriously think it's whether you get into a world XI? He's probably the most technically consistent player in the PL - An absolute magician on the ball who's consistently among the most creative players in Europe. Even if you don't think he's world class the point stands as he was leagues better than any outfield player Mourinho inherited here. Spain have better CM's you say yet he still plays and scores regularly for them. Funny that - 118 caps for one of the greatest national teams in history.

Silva looked amazing long before Pep arrived.

Trizy

Silva isn't world class now. He is a top player but I wouldn't have him near my world 11. I firmly believe there are better Centre Midfield options. Many players look amazing in Pep system. Spain have better CM nowadays.
I get what you're trying to say but is there a difference between being world class and playing world class? Regardless of the system, if he performs at a world class level throughout the season, I guess that makes him world class. No?

Cadillac

That's pretty ridiculous IMO - He's not even the one I thought was debateable but then again I consider him the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league so it's pretty subjective.

World Class is a loose definition as it is but you seriously think it's whether you get into a world XI? He's probably the most technically consistent player in the PL - An absolute magician on the ball who's consistently among the most creative players in Europe. Even if you don't think he's world class the point stands as he was leagues better than any outfield player Mourinho inherited here. Spain have better CM's you say yet he still plays and scores regularly for them. Funny that - 118 caps for one of the greatest national teams in history.

Silva looked amazing long before Pep arrived.
Agree with you 100%. He is the heart and soul of that team. More important than De Bruyne. The stats don't tell the story. He's the kind of player that you have to watch to truly understand just how good he is. The only city player that I actually like. He is the definition of world class. Even this year at 32 with him flying in and out of Spain to play because of family reasons. He's still churning out amazing performances. I wish we signed him all those years ago. What could have been...

Toddler

Great post.

Thank you! And I agree with your post. At the moment we have one world class player in Pogba and that's not enough for anything big.

Silva (hard to say if he is world class, but certainly one of the best in premier league) would be phenomenal with Pogba and Matic in midfield three.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thisistheone

Agree with both.

Jose is right, imo. We might have done better this season, even if you think Mourinho is only having a B- kind of performance, then an A* Jose still doesn't get this squad of players level with Man City. They're just too strong.

We need to invest more to make up for not just the dud summers under Moyes and LvG but also the latter Fergie years when he clearly papered over the cracks. £1 billion taken out of the club while City's owners pump in a Billion.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Lol. I like these kinds of posts that simply regurgitate talking points fed to them by the media and miserable fans but have no clue about their origin.

1. The "specialist in failure" shot was a response to Arsene telling a reported that Mourinho was talking down his team's chances to win the title because of "fear to fail." (Mourinho had said they were "little horses" compared to eventual title-winners City's and Arsenal's "big horses"). It had zero to do with money. 10 years Arsene went between trophies. That's specializing in failure.

Mourinho said his team was a year away from competing.

Here he is the following season predicting Chelsea would win the League in March when 5 points ahead of City (some "fear of failing"):

2. Mourinho's "worst season in my career" in Madrid saw him get to (and lose) the Copa del Rey Final, win the Supercopa de España against Barcelona, and reach the semi-finals in the Champions League (losing 4-3 in aggregate against BVB). Some "disaster," eh?

3. The vast majority of Chelsea players backed Mourinho until the end. Mourinho was serenaded off the pitch by the fans his last home game for Chelsea. He never "lost" the dressing room, and never "lost" the fans.

There's a strong addiction to hating Mourinho among some members of society. It feeds something very dark inside them.

Envy is the biggest tribute that the shadows do to the man. - Jose Mourinho
1. Not sure what you are on about. Saying someone is afraid of failure and calling someone a specialist in failure are 2 different things are they not? In any case Mourinho is involved in more petty spats with other managers than a Kardashian is involved in pointless celebrity feuds. The latest exchange with Conte is just embarassing and kind of pathetic when you realize it was started by Mourinho getting badly beaten at Stamford Bridge and having a fit. Fergie vs Wenger was never this childish and it was born from a real and brilliant rivalry.

2.Yes it is by Real Madrid standards.

3. Right so if he didnt lose the dressing room how did he go from champions to 16th place and one point above relegation when he was sacked? And not to mention Conte coming in and winning the league with his team the next season. If that's not losing the room can you define it again for me because we clearly are talking about 2 different things.

Losing fans is another matter god bless the Chelsea fans but they wouldn't realize a crisis if it came and sat on their faces.

Only Mourinho could be involved in pointless episodes like with Eva Carniero.