Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

Infra-red

£300m he's been given and he's still moaning about lack of funds. It's disrespectful to the owners who have backed him with so much money. Not only that but he could have spent that money better. Over £60m wasted on Mkhitaryan and Lindelof. Does Lukaku look like a player worth £75m? Not really. Imagine what that £135m could get you with good scouting and planning. Dortmund, Juventus, athletico...they'd have a fecking field day with that much cash to spend. But we fritter it away then moan that we need to spend even more. It's not acceptable. Ferguson never complained about lack of money, he knuckled down and kept building winning teams. If Jose can't do that with the more than reasonable transfer budget we should find someone who can.
He's moaning because he wants more money and new players. Do you think there's a strategy for us to make up the ground on City, that doesn't involve spending more money? If so, what is it?

haram

£300m he's been given and he's still moaning about lack of funds. It's disrespectful to the owners who have backed him with so much money. Not only that but he could have spent that money better. Over £60m wasted on Mkhitaryan and Lindelof. Does Lukaku look like a player worth £75m? Not really. Imagine what that £135m could get you with good scouting and planning. Dortmund, Juventus, athletico...they'd have a fecking field day with that much cash to spend. But we fritter it away then moan that we need to spend even more. It's not acceptable. Ferguson never complained about lack of money, he knuckled down and kept building winning teams. If Jose can't do that with the more than reasonable transfer budget we should find someone who can.
Maybe because there was a lack of quality when Mourinho got here? How is Lindelof a waste of money? Instead of Lukaku we should have signed Morata instead then? Lacazette maybe? Do some of you even think before you post?

Fluctuation0161

Only reason for him to be pissed, by the way, is he’s had his pants pulled down and been spanked by Pep before Christmas.

And if he’s one of the best managers why have his signings been so poor for us?
We’re currently 2nd and our squad hadnt competed in a title race since Fergie left! Jose’s transfer record is amazing in comparison with LVG for example. Not sure you recognise the scale of the job Jose took on with us.

I suspect Woodward promised the World before Jose signed but has since been holding back on signing the players we need to compete.

No doubt frustrating for Jose considering the poor players he inherited from LVG’s reign.

Champagne Football

If Jose goes, we're doomed
If we got Pochettino in instead then I'd see that as an upgrade. A young hungry manager ready for the next level who plays the right way, develops talented kids, never moans about not having cash to spend.....Pep had no experience when he took over at Barca, Zidane too at Madrid, Valverde hardly was dripping with trophies when Barca decided to go for him.

Womp

idiot
If we got Pochettino in instead then I'd see that as an upgrade. A young hungry manager ready for the next level who plays the right way, develops talented kids, never moans about not having cash to spend.....Pep had no experience when he took over at Barca, Zidane too at Madrid, Valverde hardly was dripping with trophies when Barca decided to go for him.
Spurs have a squad just as good, if not better than ours, yet are quite a bit behind us. While I'd be happy to see Poch replace Jose, I wouldn't consider it an upgrade by any means. We'd be more exciting to watch though, at least.

Mani

Pressure in United is completely different than what he is facing now with Spurs.Jose is the best man to see through this phase.

Red_toad

Looks like Jose wants some commitment from the club, a contract extension and a big transfer budget. Either they'll be backing him or he'll be gone in the summer in my opinion.

slir32

Jose has to be backed by the club. You have to go on what we have achieved so far with him so far he has won 2 cups and a shield and we currently sit in second spot in the PL. That is good enough in my books to be fully backed by the club.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Looks like Jose wants some commitment from the club, a contract extension and a big transfer budget. Either they'll be backing him or he'll be gone in the summer in my opinion.
My feeling too.

oz insomniac

The club/board should always back the manager, does anyone think that the Sheikh does not back Pep. Similarly over a number of years Abramovic backed the purchases the manager wanted. The finger can be pointed at expenditure under Jose, but he has to replace the failings of the 2 previous managers and the no value stance in the last couple of Fergies terms

Is the answer that the CEO is a money man , not a football man and consequently feels more closely
aligned with the profit on the bottom line than the ultimate performance of the team. That's a very dangerous outlook for a team looking to compete with Citeh and Chelski.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
  • If we got Pochettino in instead then I'd see that as an upgrade. A young hungry manager ready for the next level who plays the right way, develops talented kids, never moans about not having cash to spend.....Pep had no experience when he took over at Barca, Zidane too at Madrid, Valverde hardly was dripping with trophies when Barca decided to go for him.
:lol:

Kevinb5555

The club/board should always back the manager, does anyone think that the Sheikh does not back Pep. Similarly over a number of years Abramovic backed the purchases the manager wanted. The finger can be pointed at expenditure under Jose, but he has to replace the failings of the 2 previous managers and the no value stance in the last couple of Fergies terms

Is the answer that the CEO is a money man, not a football man and consequently feels more closely
aligned with the profit on the bottom line than the ultimate performance of the team. That's a very dangerous outlook for a team looking to compete with Citeh and Chelski.
Fully agree with you. I think the fact United has become a profit and brand machine over the last few years we are now feeling the consequences. As an accountant and looking at United from an investment perspective it is being run very well. As income via of field activities increases year on year, while they have also managed to keep expenditure low especially wage increase below clubs of similar stature. While the debt level has remained very manageable at £366million and the value of the club has risen.

However, the United fan in me sees that the football environment has changed dramatically over the last 2/3 years especially in relation the transfer fees for players £30-£40million no longer buys you a class player. You now need be parting close to £80-100million for a class player and that still not always for a proven player. This dramatic increase I believe has now caused somewhat of a problem for us as we are having difficulty managing spending while also offering a great return on investments. For this reason, i find it hand to lay the blame solely at Jose door over transfer activity and previous years have supported the proposition that the board are rather restricting when comes to spending.

oz insomniac

Now we are entering the real test of commitment from Woodward/Glazers and the board. As clubs start to sign players to strengthen for the run in, will funds be made available to sign strong enough players to keep pace

This is not a time to question the manager, either he gets supported and certainly there should be plenty of funds available, or else the answer may be that he is not Woodys man

"May you live in interesting times" was a Chinese curse, certainly true for the club over the next few weeks.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I completely agree with Luckhurst here.
Moved it into here for a further discussion. Let's say our budget for the summer is 150m + whatever we can get from sales. Who do we go for?
Ozil on a free.
Tierney/Sessegnion 25-30m.
Either TFM is trusted to cover right back with Tony or we need to buy someone.
Would maybe allow enough money for a top class midfielder or elite attacking player.

Fluctuation0161

Now we are entering the real test of commitment from Woodward/Glazers and the board. As clubs start to sign players to strengthen for the run in, will funds be made available to sign strong enough players to keep pace

This is not a time to question the manager, either he gets supported and certainly there should be plenty of funds available, or else the answer may be that he is not Woodys man

"May you live in interesting times" was a Chinese curse, certainly true for the club over the next few weeks.
This is crunch time. We will find out whether the owners are happy with top 4 or want to invest to catch up with Citys level of spending and compete for the top. I’m concerned that they won’t invest as much as we need.

I have no doubt Jose is the best man to build this team for us. My concern is he will leave if the board aren’t ambitious enough.

Djemba-Djemba

Moved it into here for a further discussion. Let's say our budget for the summer is 150m + whatever we can get from sales. Who do we go for?
Ozil on a free.
Tierney/Sessegnion 25-30m.
Either TFM is trusted to cover right back with Tony or we need to buy someone.
Would maybe allow enough money for a top class midfielder or elite attacking player.
I agree with Luckhurst but I wouldn't hold my breath to see anything different.

It took us years to move with the times in the transfer window and we lost out on some great players, such as Hazard, because of it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

It took us years to move with the times in the transfer window and we lost out on some great players, such as Hazard, because of it.
I agree too, I'm just wondering if there is a realistic chance of progressing quite significantly whilst not spending on major players. Ozil would be top drawer for free. There must be quite a few clubs after him. Then it's really down to the scouting networks, whether we can unearth gems or get players young enough who haven't already made the grade. I'd rather buy super promising youngsters (or young players) than go for decent-to-good experienced players. We've got those already. This would be a bit of a challenge for Jose, but that's more inline with building for the future. It doesn't look like he can ever buy 2-3 world class players.

ti vu

Where does this 150m budget comes from?
Lindelof Lukaku Matic cost less than 150mil L'pool selling Coutinho to Barcelona. The point is Barcelona can spend that much on a player yet didn't and won't stop spending on other players. We're aspired to get to that level, would annual 150mil budget help?

finneh

This is crunch time. We will find out whether the owners are happy with top 4 or want to invest to catch up with Citys level of spending and compete for the top. I’m concerned that they won’t invest as much as we need.

I have no doubt Jose is the best man to build this team for us. My concern is he will leave if the board aren’t ambitious enough.
If you're expecting a £200m Summer spending sore you'll be disappointed. Clubs that are self-funded don't have those kind of resources.

It's going to be quantity or quality and I imagine Mourinho will go for the latter.

It'll be one big name in the Griezmann/Dybala mould and a couple in the £30m range in my opinion.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Jose acquisitions:
Bailly 30m
Zlatan 0
Mkhi 26m
Pogba 89m
Lukaku 75m
Matic 40m
Lindelof 31m

Jose sales:
Love & McNair 5.5m
Will Keane 3m
Memphis 21.7m
Schneiderlin 25m
Januzaj 9.8m

That’s 226m net spend over 3 transfer windows for Jose. So less than 150m per season, quite significantly.

Stacks

I agree too, I'm just wondering if there is a realistic chance of progressing quite significantly whilst not spending on major players. Ozil would be top drawer for free. There must be quite a few clubs after him. Then it's really down to the scouting networks, whether we can unearth gems or get players young enough who haven't already made the grade. I'd rather buy super promising youngsters (or young players) than go for decent-to-good experienced players. We've got those already. This would be a bit of a challenge for Jose, but that's more inline with building for the future. It doesn't look like he can ever buy 2-3 world class players.
Lindelof Lukaku Matic cost less than 150mil L'pool selling Coutinho to Barcelona. The point is Barcelona can spend that much on a player yet didn't and won't stop spending on other players. We're aspired to get to that level, would annual 150mil budget help?
Sane, B.Silva De Bruyne cost less than COutinho price. Whats your point?
No one in the EPL is buying 150 million pound players. most managers raise extra funds through player sales.

ti vu

No one in the EPL is buying 150 million pound players. most managers raise extra funds through player sales.
Are you playing dumb? The point is about our current budget. Clearly we don't have time to sign great player and wait years to add another. City spent last summer more than the cost of Coutinho. Go dispute with that

Wan

This place is unbelievable. It's only last season we broke the record and got Pogba. We were prepared to pay the release clause for Griezmann before he chicken out, the pussy. We got Lukaku instead for 75m. Since then how many transfers have gone above that Pogba fee? Neymar, Coutinho, Dembele. Oh wow so many of em.

While we may not be able to compete directly with PSG(200m in one player), I'm sure we can compete with the rest if lets say someone like Dybala is on the market.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What's my point? If you read what I wrote you'll see that I both think that we need to spend more than we have if we seriously want to get to the top and that I'm also trying to get my head around what sort of players can be signed within a more conventional budget. And pointing out that our budget recently isn't 150m per season, but closer to 110m. If Jose is to spend 150m per season, he'll be spending 75m in January.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This place is unbelievable. It's only last season we broke the record and got Pogba. We were prepared to pay the release clause for Griezmann before he chicken out, the pussy. We got Lukaku instead for 75m. Since then how many transfers have gone above that Pogba fee? Neymar, Coutinho, Dembele. Oh wow so many of em.

While we may not be able to compete directly with PSG(200m in one player), I'm sure we can compete with the rest if lets say someone like Dybala is on the market.
:lol:

Wan

Are you playing dumb? The point is about our current budget. Clearly we don't have time to sign great player and wait years to add another. City spent last summer more than the cost of Coutinho. Go dispute with that
How do you know how much our 'budget' is?
Did the Glazers tell you that?

ti vu

How do you know how much our 'budget' is?
Did the Glazers tell you that?
You don't think?

Look back in the summer, Mourinho talked about hoping for 4 signings. We got 4 since we can't putting higher bid for the fourth players. What did that tell you? If we had another 100mil to spend, what extra 10-20mil would mean, if it help the team instead of getting no 4th player?

Wan

According to Luckhurst our last bid for Perisic was believed to be 39m pounds. So our budget must be more than 150m per season right, ti vu? Can you add them up and tell me how much it is. You're so goot at maths.

Greck

You don't think?

Look back in the summer, Mourinho talked about hoping for 4 signings. We got 4 since we can't putting higher bid for the fourth players. What did that tell you? If we had another 100mil to spend, what extra 10-20mil would mean, if it help the team instead of getting no 4th player?
Remember reading the reason we weren't willing to go that high for Perisic was his age specifically the lack of resale value if he didn't work out. 60mil for a player near 30 is sugar daddy spending

ti vu

Remember reading the reason we weren't willing to go that high for Perisic was his age specifically the lack of resale value if he didn't work out. 60mil for a player near 30 is sugar daddy spending
Maybe , maybe not. It may be Perisic or an attacking full backs for all we know. The point is we were somehow restricted when it comes to that 4th player. We clearly have a cap on how much we can spend and looking at player price and how already strong teams spends, clearly we need to spend more if we're aspired to be at that level.

Greck

Maybe , maybe not. It may be Perisic or an attacking full backs for all we know. The point is we were somehow restricted when it comes to that 4th player. We clearly have a cap on how much we can spend and looking at player price and how already strong teams spends, clearly we need to spend more if we're aspired to be at that level.
But we would have happily spent that on Griezman so how do we know where the limit is?

ti vu

But we would have happily spent that on Griezman so how do we know where the limit is?
We didn't buy Griezmann, did we? For all we know, Lukaku signing only caught the wind after Griezmann deal was off. Style wise and with the player he had, it's another reason to see it hard to fit Gireazmann and Lukaku in same team with Martial, Rashford and Mkhi (without the hindsight).

Edit: AND make no sense when it's clear Griezmann deal was dead with him signed new contract with Atletico, yet Mourinho was still talking about 4th signing until deadline date. Strange!?! Note that Mourinho described the 4th player as side player who enabled him to play 5 at the back. Doesn't make sense for us to chase Griezmann late in August so we can play him out of position.

Fluctuation0161

If you're expecting a £200m Summer spending sore you'll be disappointed. Clubs that are self-funded don't have those kind of resources.

It's going to be quantity or quality and I imagine Mourinho will go for the latter.

It'll be one big name in the Griezmann/Dybala mould and a couple in the £30m range in my opinion.
We've spent around £160m - £180m each of the last 2 seasons while being self funded. I'd expect at least the same again or it shows a lack of ambition.

In fact, considering the fact that player prices are increasing and so is the pending TV money we should spend more. City have spent £80m more than us over the last 2 seasons and it shows. This isn't even taking into account how far we fell back after the massive under-investment we suffered for Fergies final 5 years and the mismanagement of his departure.

Hammondo

If its all about who spends the most then whats the value of the manager? we are basically on par with liverpool and chelsea, how much have their squads cost? how much have they spent?

Greck

We didn't buy Griezmann, did we? For all we know, Lukaku signing only caught the wind after Griezmann deal was off. Style wise and with the player he had, it's another reason to see it hard to fit Gireazmann and Lukaku in same team with Martial, Rashford and Mkhi (without the hindsight).

Edit: AND make no sense when it's clear Griezmann deal was dead with him signed new contract with Atletico, yet Mourinho was still talking about 4th signing until deadline date. Strange!?! Note that Mourinho described the 4th player as side player who enabled him to play 5 at the back. Doesn't make sense for us to chase Griezmann late in August so we can play him out of position.
Don't get me wrong. I'm refuting the rationale that the 4th signing didn't go through because of spending limits when there were other considerations at play that made the club feel it wasn't a worthwhile investment. Replace Griez's name with a 25 year old Perisic alternative and I think we don't 'cheap out'

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If its all about who spends the most then whats the value of the manager? we are basically on par with liverpool and chelsea, how much have their squads cost? how much have they spent?
I'm not sure you are aware but other teams also have managers and getting the best manager is also very important to success. When you have several top managers in a league, it is usually the transfer spend that is the deciding factor.

Over the long term, clubs that have the highest transfer expenditure win the most trophies. It is how the game has been for a long time; even before oil money.