Mourinho's comments on Scholes

Dobbs

If anybody criticises you in future, no matter how valid, just put it down to income jealousy.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
For a guy who tackled so hard, I think Scholes can take a dig or two. This treatment of former players as untouchable prima donnas is boring as hell.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Mourinho could have just said that he disagreed with Scholes critique and ended it there but, he almost immediately went below the belt. And it is not the first time he did something like this before.

Needham

The comments relating to Scholes and money are pure cack. Mourinho is in his mid fifties now and coming up with stuff a drunk redcafe poster might later regret.

VP

Yikes. It's all a bit sad but the salary comments are particularly pathetic.

Ironic that it comes after he plays Pogba further up the field which is exactly what Scholes had suggested.

dichinero

The person I feel sorry for is Pogba. He is one bad performance away from being the media punching bag and about his salary. Like the transfer fee wasn't enough pressure.

Well done José

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Always good to see managers putting shit pundits in their place.
For someone who regularly evaded interviews and speaking in his playing days Scholes does talk lot of crap these days.

cyril C

He's probably right! :D Scholesy is a legend but he's a lousy pundit
Scholes had his fair share of terrible performance and terrible for him to comment like this. If player like MK or Darmian don't want to play then you are right to criticise him. When someone is trying 100%, which may be a 8 performance one game, could be a 6 the other game, but at least he is trying 100%. BY the end of a season if there is more 6 than 8 then obviously he doesn't deserve a 90m price tag. Take Shaw as example, at least we can see he is trying. Whether he is good for his price tag and/or good enough to be a regular LB for Utd, we will see, but at least he is not giving up, unlike MK.

cyril C

--Matic - Herrera (Holding)
Mata - Pogba - Lingard
-------Martial
Haven't you learnt - Pogba is much better on the left. Even with Herrera playing in a 3 men MF, we are probably more lethal with an odd shape 2-2-1-1. Good to see Herrera returning as a real player, may be he needs more game time to warm his tire.

Theonas

Scout
Is it just me who finds the money comment extremely unsavoury? What is it with him and referring to people's money and education. I remember another episode when Ronaldo was with us and he questioned his education or something like that. Now he calls people jealous because they don't make enough money. It's really such a low thing to say.

SER19

Oh look everybody, we won away at Everton with total dominance, great goals and pogba on fire,. Let's blow these comments out of all proportion and have a moan about mourinho this way instead.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Yeah, cos Roy Keane has never spoken out of turn about united either.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Nothing much wrong about the comments from Jose. Scholes is a shit pundit and Jose is right in saying all Scholes does is criticising. The salary bit was unnecessary though as Scholes is clearly not making the comments out of jealousy over income.

Womp

idiot
Ye the only part of his comments I don't agree with is the money bit, assuming it's not taken out of context or lost in translation. The rest I agree with.

Cantonagotmehere

Always good to see managers putting shit pundits in their place.
For someone who regularly evaded interviews and speaking in his playing days Scholes does talk lot of crap these days.
I love Scholes the player but I love seeing Jose do this. There's enough ABU shit around , we don't need our legends always bitching.

Both of them have a point. Scholes is right that Pogba isn't being played in his best position, ignoring that whats best for Pogba may not be best for the team, but Jose is right that all he ever seems to do is criticise. All he's ever known is SAF and I don't think he will ever be happy with anything different.

SER19

Nothing much wrong about the comments from Jose. Scholes is a shit pundit and Jose is right in saying all Scholes does is criticising. The salary bit was unnecessary though as Scholes is clearly not making the comments out of jealousy over income.
This is the annoying bit though, it's not necessarily even what he meant. Scholes mentioned the money first albeit about the transfer fee. And even if it is what he meant, so what, its a jibe to rile scholes up, scholes is a big boy and will probably laugh it off.

100% convinced many in here have not read or heard all of the comments. I'm a borderline worshipper of those players and what they did at united but it's very clear that giggs wanted the job and his pals wanted it for him. Mourinho touches on this and if he feels he's in an environment where giggs recently has criticised signings and style, Neville always does, scholes infers somebody else could get more out of pogba, all at a time he's probably feeling a bit of pressure - he's well within his rights to think there might be a bit of an agenda and to try shut it down. He's trying to do his job and have 4 very loud mouthpieces somlinked to the club seem to work in tandem to criticise probably pisses him off. Big deal.

For those saying he can't 'take on scholes' as if he's taking on bloody fergie, I'd throw the cat among the pigeons and query why scholes was passed over for the academy role. Two years of criticising the club at every turn probably didn't help his case.

LLMU

I would prefer people like Scholes, Giggs , Neville who were great players of their generation contribute back to the game by coaching or generally involve in building the next generation of players. Sitting on the pundit chair is just too easy and words are taken out of context sometimes.

SER19

I would prefer people like Scholes, Giggs , Neville who were great players of their generation contribute back to the game by coaching or generally involve in building the next generation of players. Sitting on the pundit chair is just too easy and words are taken out of context sometimes.
Yep, and probably harms their chances of getting involved in the club in coaching roles. You can't be mouthing off about the style and players so publicly one week then be strutting around Carrington the next.

DdeGoat

Is it just me who finds the money comment extremely unsavoury? What is it with him and referring to people's money and education. I remember another episode when Ronaldo was with us and he questioned his education or something like that. Now he calls people jealous because they don't make enough money. It's really such a low thing to say.
He is a pathetic little man with a huge inferiority complex. Surprising for someone who themselves are so successful. He has to take these stupid digs almost after each game. People think they are deflection tactics when in reality that is simply this man's personality. I mean what was last night about? A deflection from an excellent team performance?

Scholes said nothing wrong in his comments. He has been critical of the team's performances when that is exactly what they have warranted. We were god awful under Van Gaal. Are people saying that he should as a pundit not have given his honest opinion on them and spoken like a company man?

If my memory serves me right, he has been mostly positive on our team and performances since Jose arrived. I would like someone to bring out negative comments that he has made about the team or players before the latest ones. Though, he says something a little critical and our bitch of a manager has to jump on him making absolutely absurd allegations about him being jealous about the money Pogba is making. And people who are saying he was defending Pogba, there is nothing to defend. Scholes didn't "attack" Pogba. He only pointed out the way to use him to improve his and the teams performance.

Last edited:

SER19

For a guy who tackled so hard, I think Scholes can take a dig or two. This treatment of former players as untouchable prima donnas is boring as hell.
You're correct but even more so when the downright hypocrisy of it is brought into it. Go into any thread here about these guys and their coaching credentials and they're getting absolutely hammered by the same posters up in arms about mourinho here.

Separately, Ryan giggs who achieved more and gave more to the club than all of them is fair game, because he slept with his brothers wife or something. Idiots everywhere.

hobbers

Hard to have respect for most ex-footballers as pundits, because the current crop are almost universally terrible, Carragher x Neville MNF banter aside.

Top footballers do not make tend to make good managers, or coaches, or pundits. That's just the way it is.

parkthebuslads

Personally I'm just astounded that Jose passed up on the opportunity to take the high road.

Velvet Revolver

To be fair, Scholes did get personal with Pogba comments. He mentioned something about he is not sure if pogba is taking care of himself properly and that he is not training properly etc. There seems to be some anti Pogba sentiment in pundits (including Scholes) because of his off the field lifestyle ( Haircuts and dance and what not).

Although Jose's comments on money was a bit crass.

As it is the media is anti united why do Ex-united players feel the need to fuel this fire?

Reactions: SteveJ

Regalia

Good on Mourinho. This is what you need from a Man Utd manager. Personality and backbone, as much as our Pep-following contingent here dislike it. I'd hate it if he actually agreed with the crap in the media these days and cowered in a corner.

Scholes has just been negative towards the club since he started opening his mouth on TV and to me that just tarnishes his image as one of our greats. A bit like how Keane was beyond petty after he left United. Ex-players turned pundits are just that. Pundits, and bad ones at that. I've seen Beckham at more OT games than Scholes, so he needs to can it with the 'my club is being run into the ground and I need to badmouth everyone' bullshit.

Reactions: SteveJ

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
I think Mourinho is doing the same old trick as fergie did before...creating a journalist-conspiracy-ish atmosphere. Make the players believe everyone not utd is doing their utmost effort to trash them and motivate them to fight back to shut those fecker up.

MrPooni

If all the people quoting this bollocks actually took the time to watch the press conference or read the full transcript they'd realise this prick just took two separate comments made over a minute or so apart and spliced them together to wind up a certain subsection of our fanbase and it worked a treat. Jose actually qualified his comments by heaping huge amounts of praise on Paul Scholes the player and his contribution to the club.

Last edited:

kps88

Scholes crossed the line when he questioned Pogba's professionalism and whether he was training properly. That was just lazy criticism.

Bobski

Insomnia is influencing me but I do find it amusing that so many still buy into the grand CO92 conspiracy theory. Giggs as a manager is a laughable idea but at the same time people buy into him being the puppet master of a coterie of highly paid and egotistical pundits, controlling the message. Seems like good management material that.

Can't recall Giggs being a pundit for many Utd games, probably because he knows that any criticism will just be derided as agenda based. There was a lot of anger towards Scholes when he was critical during LVG's time, again people screaming agenda as if him pointing out that we were horrible was a fictional creation of his mind. Always thought he tended to react on an emotional level as a pundit.

Back to bed.

MrPooni

Let's be honest, if the thread opened up with this particular set of quotes over the ones OP carefully curated then we'd be having an entirely different conversation.

Werd.

Jose was highly complimentary of Scholes as a player in the interview. Ofcourse, that bit is conveniently missed. Either way, there isnt much wrong with what he said overall.