Mourinho's extension or Solskjaers permanent contract

Skills

Snitch
What was the worst bit of oversight by our upper management in recent years?

1. What's more incredible about this is that, we for some reason extended Mourinho's contract before either Liverpool and Man City extended Klopp and Guardiola's contract.

2. The club had a free pass to take their time with the decision. But they rushed into it, like overemotional fans.

I mean we seem to preach patience, why wasn't the club patient enough to wait and see for either of these two decisions?

Any other contenders?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Hiring Moyes and setting us off on the downward spiral in the first place is up there.

Skills

Snitch
Obviously this by a mile, that was just plain dumb.
It’s not like he was danger in being persuaded by Real Madrid or something, literally looked like a decision made by a fan, no logic whatsoever.
We weren't in any danger of losing Mourinho to anyone noteworthy too, despite his best attempts to fabricate links to PSG.

Nobody's going near him now.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Obviously this by a mile, that was just plain dumb.
It’s not like he was danger in being persuaded by Real Madrid or something, literally looked like a decision made by a fan, no logic whatsoever.
I think the original argument was that it would help settle the minds of some players who had their future up in the air.

It worked well :lol:

fergiesarmy1

It cost £16 million to get rid of Jose and his team when there was no need to do it so that by far, what is Ole even on per year? I’d guess around £3m with Ed on more?

Judas

Open to offers
The club seems to run on emotion way too often, it certainly did with the Ole decision, it wasn't a sporting one, it was giving in to overwhelming media and fan pressure to give him the job right away, idiocy from a business.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think the original argument was that it would help settle the minds of some players who had their future up in the air.

It worked well :lol:
and it was made just after the psg match. we had lost some momentum in the lague, had been battered for 180 mins by PSG and escaped with a penalty in the 90th minute after 2 defensive/goalkeeping errors/easy misses. the fact that it was done after the PSG game (rather than the Chelsea FA cup game, an actually good *performance*) tells you all you need to know about the rashness of the decision.

Skills

Snitch
It cost £16 million to get rid of Jose and his team when there was no need to do it so that by far, what is Ole even on per year? I’d guess around £3m with Ed on more?
£7m a year was the figure mentioned earlier IIRC.

I doubt the MUFC manager would earn less than the average squad salary.

fergiesarmy1

£7m a year was the figure mentioned earlier IIRC.

I doubt the MUFC manager would earn less than the average squad salary.
That makes sense, i remember fergies argument that no player should earn more than the manager but when you end up paying Sanchez £30 plus million a year what ya gonna do :lol:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
and it was made just after the psg match. we had lost some momentum in the lague, had been battered for 180 mins by PSG and escaped with a penalty in the 90th minute after 2 defensive/goalkeeping errors/easy misses. the fact that it was done after the PSG game (rather than the Chelsea FA cup game, an actually good *performance*) tells you all you need to know about the rashness of the decision.
Was it done then? I seem to remember it being done after the Arsenal defeat before an international break or maybe I'm wrong

Skills

Snitch
That makes sense, i remember fergies argument that no player should earn more than the manager but when you end up paying Sanchez £30 plus million a year what ya gonna do :lol:
That only works for Fergie because he was more valuable than any player he had at the club at the time. Managers in general are liabilities while players are assets (you can sell/trade players, managers you sack)

No manager in the world is worth as much as Lionel Messi for instance.

fergiesarmy1

That only works for Fergie because he was more valuable than any player he had at the club at the time.

Is Valverde worth more than Lionel Messi?
Don’t think it did work for fergie in the long run, pretty sure players like Rooney, Ronaldo, tevez and RVP amongst others were paid more but it’s a legitimate point. Hard to control and get the respect of some of these multii-millionaire kids if they are getting paid a hell of a lot more than you.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ole's contract for me because we had a good good chance to make things the right way, there was no urgency, he should have been fully assessed at the end of the season. The moment he became permanent, we really went down in play and performances

Greck

Ole's own and it's not even close

What people don't know is Jose's extension only extended his contract by One year. Yep the extension we keep hearing about was only one year, with the club retaining the option to extend. Also he had been pressuring the club for it for about 3 months. It was an attempt to meet him halfway

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ole's permanent contract, there was no need for it.

Despite the noise regarding Jose contract, it really wasn't that bad, he got a one year extension which was would have put away the speculation of his going into the following season on the last year of his deal. It was hardly a ringing endorsement, however it should have waited till the summer. Because I doubt he would have got the extension post Sevilla and the run in to the end of the season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hiring Moyes and setting us off on the downward spiral in the first place is up there.
This 100%. Ferguson had spent the last decade putting in place a structure for when he left. I genuinely believe that if Ferguson had left and we didn’t replace him, we would have challenged for the title the following year.

Instead we brought in one of the most dour, moronic narcissists who couldn’t work with such an accomplished team underneath him so he let them all go and replaced them with Steve feckin Round and Jimmy tossin Lumsden.

eire-red

Both seem equally knee-jerk and completely illogical decisions, hard to really compare them though. There's always an element of uncertainly around Mourinho, the seemingly 3 year curse around him is evident. I'm guessing the board wanted to show that they were behind him and wanted him as the man to take us forward, or at least give that impression.

Ole, in comparison, is equally stupid but also can be decomposed into a semblance of logical rationale. We had just had one of our greatest wins post Fergie, there was an undeniable feel good factor around the club again for that short period of time.

It's not so much the decisions in isolation that I can't fathom, but the subsequent decisions after that which annoy me the most. Giving Mourinho an extension, only to not back him in the transfer market. Sign a player he wanted one year later for a higher price, after saying the original price was too high the year before.

Backing Ole as our man, while simultaneously depleting our squad and expecting a manager way out of his depth to produce some sort of miracle season. Nothing makes sense, there's no planning involved whatsoever.

We had nothing to lose by waiting until the end of last season to make a decision. This just highlights the need for a DoF. This idea that we couldn't plan in the transfer market without a clear idea on who the manager is is just naive. With the average period of time a manager lasts these days, I think those elements of the team now need to be separated, regarding recruitment, philosophy and direction versus the coaching element of the club that is.

That night in Paris was one of the only bright points in 6 years of misery, but its starting to seem like a poison chalice at the moment.

So to sum it up, both decisions were probably equally wrong, but only compounded by the subsequent idiotic decisions made by us as a club.

redIndianDevil

I honestly think that Woodward had zero clues and just goes with the media narrative.

Mourinho was linked with PSG - obvious rumor put out by Mourinho's agent - bam new contract to Mourinho.

Ole goes on a lucky run - gets media love-in about a club legend making it as a manager - bam made permanent.

Rashford - zero reason to give him a huge contract, laughable rumours of Barcelona wanting him:lol: - bam new big contract.

It's all beyond ridiculous, I'm pretty sure some fans here in the cafe would do far better than idiot Woodward.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
All this "it was madness" with Ole stuff is real hindsight malarkey!

Whereas no hindsight at all was needed with the Moyes appointment. That was insane, and came after we'd briefed what the next manager needed to have, and he had none of it...trophies, European pedigree etc!

minoo-utd

We don't have any clue about anything right now at this club. Seeing our club like this and we can not sense any light at the end of the tunnel is very hurting. But quick fix is buying 5 6 playerd top class players like building a new team like what happened at the start of City and Paris. Yes crazy money I mean.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pretty much this.

If you look at the beginning of the Ole permanent manager thread you will see almost a unanimous applauding of the decision. The revisionism is rampant on the Caf.
Second only to the "poor" squad Fergie supposedly left.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We don't have any clue about anything right now at this club. Seeing our club like this and we can not sense any light at the end of the tunnel is very hurting. But quick fix is buying 5 6 playerd top class players like building a new team like what happened at the start of City and Paris. Yes crazy money I mean.
It's been criminal mismanagement along the way, but we've still won a couple of trophies, lost the FA cup final and got a 2nd place in there, even in our worst 6years in decades.

You can't tell me that "if" we get the right manager we can't make a very quick turnaround.
It's who that right manager is that's the huge question, and whether our board can sniff it.

Greck

I honestly think that Woodward had zero clues and just goes with the media narrative.

Mourinho was linked with PSG - obvious rumor put out by Mourinho's agent - bam new contract to Mourinho.

Ole goes on a lucky run - gets media love-in about a club legend making it as a manager - bam made permanent.

Rashford - zero reason to give him a huge contract, laughable rumours of Barcelona wanting him:lol: - bam new big contract.

It's all beyond ridiculous, I'm pretty sure some fans here in the cafe would do far better than idiot Woodward.
This. He probably didn't even follow football before he got involved with the Glazers. Things people know to be media fluff he falls for. That's our CEO

redIndianDevil

I've been on the Caf long enough that I can confidently call bullshit on what you've said. Can't speak for your own personal opinion but I know what the consensus was in the media and on here.
I can only speak for myself and i thought it was one of the silliest decisions Woodward ever made.