Mourinho's extension or Solskjaers permanent contract

minoo-utd

It's been criminal mismanagement along the way, but we've still won a couple of trophies, lost the FA cup final and got a 2nd place in there, even in our worst 6years in decades.

You can't tell me that "if" we get the right manager we can't make a very quick turnaround.
It's who that right manager is that's the huge question, and whether our board can sniff it.
Absolutely agree. Right manager and also good players. We almost have half of that team is not even P.L quality

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Absolutely agree. Right manager and also good players. We almost have half of that team is not even P.L quality
I think people overdo how poor some of the players are. There's not many we're fielding who couldn't cut it for lower Premier league teams. Greenwood and the younger guys for sure, but you can't tell me a Brighton or someone wouldn't take a Mata, Pereira, Lingard etc.

But clearly we have plenty who aren't good enough for us.

Ranchero

What was the worst bit of oversight by our upper management in recent years?

1. What's more incredible about this is that, we for some reason extended Mourinho's contract before either Liverpool and Man City extended Klopp and Guardiola's contract.

2. The club had a free pass to take their time with the decision. But they rushed into it, like overemotional fans.

I mean we seem to preach patience, why wasn't the club patient enough to wait and see for either of these two decisions?

Any other contenders?
I would have Mourinho back if Pogba left and the Portuguese coach was allowed to actually run things.

Skills

Snitch
I would have Mourinho back if Pogba left and the Portuguese coach was allowed to actually run things.
Maybe you could just follow him to his next club instead? You might have to wait a couple of years or so, before someone's willing to give him a shot.

redcafe_reader

3. Keeping LVG past his sell by date and letting the Luckmakers have a free run at Klopp
I'd say this is by far the worst of all.
That's unfair. Klopp joined Liverpool in October 2015. At that time we were top 3 and only 2 points from the top. In the previous season, we were top 4 (with "only" 9 points from the top). Under what situation that we can justify sacking LVG and hire Klopp at that time?

The season before we appointed LVG, Klopp's Dortmund finished 2nd in the Bundesliga, so he didn't really have a reason to left them and join us then.

Tarrou

It cost £16 million to get rid of Jose and his team when there was no need to do it so that by far, what is Ole even on per year? I’d guess around £3m with Ed on more?
I don't know how it's even possible for a United fan to think this? The entire club was in absolute disarray at that time.

RedDevilUnited369

Pretty much this.

If you look at the beginning of the Ole permanent manager thread you will see almost a unanimous applauding of the decision. The revisionism is rampant on the Caf.
It's absolutely amazing. Short memories and shorter patience...

fergiesarmy1

I don't know how it's even possible for a United fan to think this? The entire club was in absolute disarray at that time.
Was talking about the contract extension not the firing of that miserable git.

Red Rash

I think giving Solskjaer a new contract was right at the time. The club was on a down after Mourinho and we began playing some good attacking football also picking up wins

My issue was that we should have only signed him for one year with an extension option. We knew he was unproven and it's not like he wouldn't have signed if all went well

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ole, unbelievably stupid decision.
I'm gonna say this as well simply because it shows they didn't learn anything from giving Mourinho an extension when things were going well for him as well

I'd love to go back to the post Ole contract and see how many said the decision to give him the full time gig was deserved vs their thoughts in one of the many 'he must go' threads we have now...