Mourinho's Pereira press conference | 1:30pm BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Then why let it happen? I don't get this one... If Jose didn't want it to happen... then it doesn't happen. He must have agreed to it
'If you don't let me on a loan, I'll not sign the extension' or something along those lines and there we are.

Either way, Perreira is fecked imo and got only himself to blame.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
'If you don't let me on a loan, I'll not sign the extension' or something along those lines and there we are.

Either way, Perreira is fecked imo and got only himself to blame.
He doesn't have the leverage to make demands; this one just doesn't add up. If the lad tries it on, then you sell him and if you want him to stay... then he stays; it's that simple. Squad players don't dictate to managers and certainly not to Jose...

Kostur

海尔的老板
He doesn't have the leverage to make demands; this one just doesn't add up. If the lad tries it on, then you sell him and if you want him to stay... then he stays; it's that simple. Squad players don't dictate to managers and certainly not to Jose...
Well by the looks of what Jose said that was the case here, he wouldn't have said he's disappointed if it was Jose's decision to loan him. Pereira thinks his development first, which is fine, Jose thinks United first, which is also fine, but if there's some kind of a crisis in midfield and we cannot recall Pereira back (because it's prior to January or after January), I'd pack my shit if I were him.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
The Pereirra situation is very disappointing. If Mourinho wanted him to stay it is very disappointing that Pereira didn't stay and try his chances. I'am still convinced we could have used him and he would have played a fair amount of minutes for us.

He will have to do very well at Valencia because now it will harder for him to make it at United.

Red71

Januzaj didn't get into the Dortmund team, and didn't impress the Dortmund management. He came back with nothing to make United think he'd learned enough to become part of the main first team rotation.

There's a good chance that Pereira will become a starter for Valencia. I can see why Mourinho would be disappointed, given he'd encouraged him to stay, but I doubt he'll just ignore him if he does have a good season on loan.
I think this is right. This feels a bit like a parent giving advice and the child ignoring it, or doing their own thing. He's bound to be disappointed but I doubt he'd cut off his nose to spite his face if AP ends up pulling up trees in Spain.

The January release clause is interesting though. I think the loan move means that if we get down to the bare bones in midfield and we need extra help as the games start to (hopefully, if we're successful) build up, we can bring in someone who properly understands the club. The added bonus for me would be that he wouldn't be getting dropped in to the team cold but would have the benefit of having played competitively for several months. Far better that than sitting on the bench waiting for an opportunity that might never come...

RedDevil@84

Then why let it happen? I don't get this one... If Jose didn't want it to happen... then it doesn't happen. He must have agreed to it
He agreed to it. But he didn't like it.
Does not really mean much. He says what he thinks is best for Pereira. Pereira thinks otherwise. Even Woodward or the club is ok with the loan and thinks it ll be good. Jose does not like it, but he accepts it.

Not every discussion needs to be my way or highway.

Sir A1ex

Does seem an odd one to disagree with. Can't really see how AP dislodges any of our current midfield, and not even making the squad for the first three matches doesn't exactly imply he'd have had much chance to shine.

Still, storm in a tea-cup really.

SwSw

Mou doesn't want to keep players who wish to leave. Since AP requested to go, I assumed Mou reluctantly approved the loan request from Valencia.

Kapardin

He won't have much of a future at United.

It's the same mistake that Januzaj did forcing that loan move to Dortmund.
Its' not the same thing. van Gaal rightly advised Januzaj that he would find it hard to break into the starting XI at Dortmund. Januzaj didn't listen to him and it proved true. Pereira is talented enough to nail a starting spot at Valencia for sure.

There will be no grudge. No doubt Jose feels we need Pereira as a back-up in midfield, and even as a winger perhaps at times. And perhaps he wanted Pereira to develop under him this season. But since the Jan recall clause exists, I think its' just a minor gripe, we can still get him back if we need him. I am actually relieved to hear that news.

Its' time for Pereira to step up though. Nowadays, 21 years old is no longer deemed as a "kid", "just developing" etc. Only the ones who perform at a mature level, far above their age, get attention. Look at the pressure on Martial and Mbappe despite their ages. We need to stop looking at Pereira as a kid and start seriously seeing how much he has improved. I think Pereira knows it too, hope he has a stormer of a season.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I would say they were also cutting for people who did the usual "Jose won't give them a chance" Jig. Once again when the facts come out we see that the player went against the Managers wishes and did not fancy fighting for his place.
We have no clue what kind of chance he would have been given. If anything, Andreas pushing for the move shows that he realistically wasn't going to get a decent chance.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Does seem an odd one to disagree with. Can't really see how AP dislodges any of our current midfield, and not even making the squad for the first three matches doesn't exactly imply he'd have had much chance to shine.

Still, storm in a tea-cup really.
But like JM said, we've got a busy period coming up where he expects everyone (or most) from the squad to start games. He could have made an impression but he'll have to do that for Valencia.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We have no clue what kind of chance he would have been given. If anything, Andreas pushing for the move shows that he realistically wasn't going to get a decent chance.
Would have thought that the manager trying to convince him to not leave is about as big a cause for optimism as any player could possibly hope for.

Can only assume he was looking for some sort of guarantee about playing time, which no player should expect.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Would have thought that the manager trying to convince him to not leave is about as big a cause for optimism as any player could possibly hope for.

Can only assume he was looking for some sort of guarantee about playing time, which no player should expect.
By the end didn't he say some shit about wanting Schweinsteiger to stay as an option but can't stop him? He's said the same about keeping them around like Loftus-Cheek or TFM last season and they never got a serious chance. Mourinho wants everyone to stay. He'd rather have Andreas for the potential 3 or 4 games he'll be needed for rotations. That's not real hope though and its not a real chance nor is it a real prospect of a season that Andreas would be in any way pleased with. If he was given any indication of having a serious role in the squad then he wouldn't have pushed for a move. He said he didn't want to go on loan again and wanted to play here. To then push for a loan after that suggests he was given an indication he wouldn't be actually doing much playing here.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I wondered about whether AP going on loan was approved of by Jose or not.

Don't really like how Jose is making his disappointment public, but have to agree with him a bit. AP would have got games this season as soon as we're playing every 3rd or 4th day.

sugar_kane

I wondered about whether AP going on loan was approved of by Jose or not.

Don't really like how Jose is making his disappointment public, but have to agree with him a bit. AP would have got games this season as soon as we're playing every 3rd or 4th day.
I'm not a fan of Jose throwing his players under the bus but in this case I think he is right to air his disappointment, Andreas should have stayed to fight for his place not just flee for guaranteed minutes.

I worry about his mentality a little, let's not forget he was dropped from the squad for the same reason as Januzaj - fecking about in a reserve game trying to score from corners.

prtk0811

Brazilians jump at the opportunity to play in Spain anytime when they won't want to fight for the place in the team.

For me he should have stayed and proved himself in the epl or went to loan in an epl side If he wanted to play so much.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I'm not a fan of Jose throwing his players under the bus but in this case I think he is right to air his disappointment, Andreas should have stayed to fight for his place not just flee for guaranteed minutes.

I worry about his mentality a little, let's not forget he was dropped from the squad for the same reason as Januzaj - fecking about in a reserve game trying to score from corners.
Also have to wonder about his choice of destination? Is he even guaranteed a starting place at Valencia?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
"I know the ones I can press"

He knows that comment is getting back to AP and he seems the type of lad to rise too it. JM knows what he is doing there.

sugar_kane

Also have to wonder about his choice of destination? Is he even guaranteed a starting place at Valencia?
I don't know their current team well enough but while they're no Dortmund it's not dissimilar to the choice Januzaj made a couple of seasons ago.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
By the end didn't he say some shit about wanting Schweinsteiger to stay as an option but can't stop him? He's said the same about keeping them around like Loftus-Cheek or TFM last season and they never got a serious chance. Mourinho wants everyone to stay. He'd rather have Andreas for the potential 3 or 4 games he'll be needed for rotations. That's not real hope though and its not a real chance nor is it a real prospect of a season that Andreas would be in any way pleased with. If he was given any indication of having a serious role in the squad then he wouldn't have pushed for a move. He said he didn't want to go on loan again and wanted to play here. To then push for a loan after that suggests he was given an indication he wouldn't be actually doing much playing here.
Mourinho seems to think we need a big squad. That's his perogative. Competition for places is a good thing, though and it would be weird to interpret Mourinho's efforts to get him to stay as somehow capping his contribution in the season ahead at 3 or 4 games. Any thing can happen over the course of a season and surely Pereira would fancy his chances at getting games ahead of, say, Lingard?

If Pereira doesn't want to stay and fight for his place then that's his perogative. We're pretty stacked in the positions he plays so you can under why he thinks his chances might better elsewhere. It's a risky move, though. Valencia have zero interest in his development and he's not guaranteed games there either. We've seen moves like this end up badly before.

Will Absolute

It sounds like Jose is playing political games to me, downplaying his responsibility for anything the fans might not like. In fairness to Fergie he was always willing to take the hit for tough decisions. Mou seems to dodge and duck.

It's easy to say that you want players to stay, but it's a bit hypocritical when you know that your decisions about playing time are driving them out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It sounds like Jose is playing political games to me, downplaying his responsibility for anything the fans might not like. In fairness to Fergie he was always willing to take the hit for tough decisions. Mou seems to dodge and duck.

It's easy to say that you want players to stay, but it's a bit hypocritical when you know that your decisions about playing time are driving them out.
Eh? What decisions about playing time are driving Pereira out?

Dobbs

But like JM said, we've got a busy period coming up where he expects everyone (or most) from the squad to start games. He could have made an impression but he'll have to do that for Valencia.
Jose would have four players for every position if he could. I can understand that but for the player who's at the back end of the queue it's no good.

Bit of a gamble from Pereira but might be the correct choice.

Ace of Spades

The loan is a good choice for me, ffs he can't even get in the matchday squad, it is better for him to play so he can be a real option for us later.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Jose would have four players for every position if he could. I can understand that but for the player who's at the back end of the queue it's no good.

Bit of a gamble from Pereira but might be the correct choice.
I hope so. We've got 5 actual midfielders in Herrera, Pogba, Fellaini, Matic and Carrick at 36. Out of those, 2 are attack minded. I think AP could have expected game time but he'd have to really impress to stake a claim. If he has an average season at Valencia, I doubt he'll feature for us next season. Hope he does well there and returns hungry.

Will Absolute

Eh? What decisions about playing time are driving Pereira out?
After doing well in pre-season, Pereira hasn't gotten within spitting distance of the team since real football kicked off. No one knows what's been said in private, but judging by his willingness to sign an extension, Pereira still hankers after a career at Old Trafford. So I doubt he'd have been too difficult to persuade to stay, if Jose had offered him a real opportunity to challenge for a spot in the first team.

dichinero

So a kid wanting to play competitive games having earlier said that he wants to play games is chickening out? If he stays on the bench, he's just there for the paycheck, if he goes on loan, he's ducking out of a fight. :nervous:

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
He said as much himself.
What specifically did he said, that he was after a fullback? Only heard him talk about a player to play wide, could just as well be a winger or a wide-forward like Perišić who could play wingback. Another matter is to buy a fullback who can also play wingback. Pretty different stuff.

Android1974

Apparently, he's into letting the players go if they say so… That's why he got in trouble with de Bruyne and Lukaku.

Dobbs

I hope so. We've got 5 actual midfielders in Herrera, Pogba, Fellaini, Matic and Carrick at 36. Out of those, 2 are attack minded. I think AP could have expected game time but he'd have to really impress to stake a claim. If he has an average season at Valencia, I doubt he'll feature for us next season. Hope he does well there and returns hungry.
Pogba and Matic rarely injured though. Then a manager who's unlikely to rotate those positions(thankfully) aside from a handful of games.

Hopefully it works out.

Android1974

McTominay was called up to replace A.Pereira, so we have 6 actual midfield players in the squad.

Android1974

So a kid wanting to play competitive games having earlier said that he wants to play games is chickening out? If he stays on the bench, he's just there for the paycheck, if he goes on loan, he's ducking out of a fight. :nervous:
He already played competitive games last season on loan, now was the time to fight for a (unlikely, I admit) place in the first squad or, at least, in those who get games once in a while.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
After doing well in pre-season, Pereira hasn't gotten within spitting distance of the team since real football kicked off. No one knows what's been said in private, but judging by his willingness to sign an extension, Pereira still hankers after a career at Old Trafford. So I doubt he'd have been too difficult to persuade to stay, if Jose had offered him a real opportunity to challenge for a spot in the first team.
Disagree with the bit in bold. He was never better than ok and had an absolute stinker in his last game of pre-season. People on here were so desperate for him to impress that they were getting giddy over his every touch of the ball (I include myself in this category fwiw). At the end of the day, though, he did nothing to show he was a better option than the players ahead of him in the pecking order. Not yet anyway.

The rest of your post is pure speculation. None of us know exactly what went down and why he figured out he'd have a better chance at Valencia but some of us seem determined to paint the manager as the villain of the piece. As usual.

RedDevil@84

After doing well in pre-season,
He didnt. He just was not bad.
if Jose had offered him a real opportunity to challenge for a spot in the first team.
ffs, we are just 2 games into the season. So if after 2 games in the season, the kid had decided that he hasn't got enough chances and decides to leave, it has nothing to do with Jose.

And for what it is worth, I dont think it is end of road for Pereira or he has burnt his bridges with Jose as many seem to read this.

dichinero

He already played competitive games last season on loan, now was the time to fight for a (unlikely, I admit) place in the first squad or, at least, in those who get games once in a while.
But let's be honest. This is José we are talking about, he's not famed for rotating players and he obviously isn't the risky type to put his trust in younger players.

This is a world cup year, and there are not many Brazilians of his generation that play in Europe (assuming it gives a significant advantage). How would he not take the decision not to go on loan. Let's not forget that he'd come earlier this season to say he didn't want a loan but to fight for a spot. Perhaps the manager has not given him any assurances or trust that AP would play a significant number of games. I emphasize the point of TFM last season, up until the last week of the season, he had only played like 4 mins of competitive football at any level iirc. He's gone on loan and after 3 games despite being on the losing side, he gets a call up to the national team.

el3mel

I still don't think it's a bad decision from Pereira. We're only playing with 2 midfielders and we have 5 at this position. We're struggling to play Herrera and we're talking about Pereira ? He will find it difficult to even get a place on the bench with the likes of Fellaini and Herrera definitely ahead of him. I can't fault him tbh.

krazyrobus

I'm with AP here. Herrera has played 5 mins of game time this season! Looking at it from that perspective and wanting to improve my game I'd opt for a loan too.

Status
Not open for further replies.