Mourinho's post match comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why do people keep saying this when they know about how inflated the market is? .
Because it's true? Pogba wasn't 90 million todays market. He was the record at the time. We signed most of our players pre Neymar. We've spent an enormous amount of money no matter how much people want to hide behind the likes of Coutinho, Neymar and Dembele.

And when you consider how bare our squad was before he came, you should understand that we needed much more than filling two key positions to get back to where we used to be.
We were top 4 challengers and then spent that money. We didn't fill two key positions. We signed Mkhitarian, Pogba, Lindelof, Sanchez, Lukaku, Matic and Bailly.

My feeling is that this rebuild was done purposely slow by the board. Why? Because Van Gaal's clearout and bargain signing process was poor. So instead of spending money on quantity as we did with Van Gaal, the board decided to spend it slowly on quality. I feel if Mourinho had his way, as seen in the past, he would have shipped off a lot of the players that we currently have.
Of course you'll say this now to pin it all on the board despite Jose clearly saying that he identified a specific number of players both summers.

We have signed the star quality players that we needed in Sanchez, Pogba, and Lukaku. I feel the next phase will be to fill out the rest of the squad with good players.
How we'll have Sanchez and Pogba done exactly? Absolute stars of the game and they've been rubbish. Mkhitarian was awful too. And we still aren't sure what Lindelof is adding.

There are question marks of over Jose's players as well as the predecessors.

steffyr2

Oh but you do. Martial and Rashford are immensely overrated. People think because a player dribbles and has potential that he is automatically good. Consistency is what makes a good player, and neither of them are consistently creative enough. Our defenders, Smalling, Jones, and Rojo are seen as mid-table; i see midtable defenders that can pass and press aggressively, these are championship defenders. Some people used to think Valencia was a top right back in this league when he can't open up space for himself to recieve a pass, can't pass inside to central midfieders and has one of the slowest minds on the ball i have ever seen. We have some top players, but our average player is a mid-talent.
Nah I'm thinking back in the day when the threads were about who was greater, Rooney or Ronaldo. Why didn't SAF play Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez at the same time. Even the threads about Nani -- great player or the worst ever? The players we have now, besides Pogba, aren't even interesting enough to argue about.

Bobski

I actually don't mind his approach as much as others. Watching how the tactics play out is fun to watch. But the reason I would like to keep Mourinho is that he's a winner. People really underestimate this quality. He literally reads the game well and that is why even when he plays negatively, he wins. There are not many managers in football with this quality, and generally in sports, what you tend to see is that the same group of managers win the trophies. Its all well and good playing fun football, but winning is what matters at the end of the day, and winning consistently is incredibly hard. At the very least, I would like to see Mourinho given the opportunity to build the type of squad he wants. He knows how to build good teams, and if that is all he does for united, he would have left a good platform for the next manager unlike LVG.
2 good teams engaged in a tactical battle can be fascinating, the constant change in game flow, reacting to each others moves, one team starting to gain dominance then a reaction. Mou's version of that is sit deep, defend the box and ask the other to make the running and wait for a mistake. To have the ball is to have fear. I am too much of an idealist to see the sophistication in that.

Next season will be much of the same, on an off pitch, even if he is backed massively in the market he will still find ways to engineer conflict, it is how he works. I don't think he will build anything in a style of play the next manager wants to take forward(unless we go for someone like Conte, as close to Mou as you could find) but given enough money and a freedom to throw obscene wages around he will sign some excellent players.

Listar

Because it's true? Pogba wasn't 90 million todays market. He was the record at the time. We signed most of our players pre Neymar. We've spent an enormous amount of money no matter how much people want to hide behind the likes of Coutinho, Neymar and Dembele.

We were top 4 challengers and then spent that money. We didn't fill two key positions. We signed Mkhitarian, Pogba, Lindelof, Sanchez, Lukaku, Matic and Bailly.

Of course you'll say this now to pin it all on the board despite Jose clearly saying that he identified a specific number of players both summers.

How we'll have Sanchez and Pogba done exactly? Absolute stars of the game and they've been rubbish. Mkhitarian was awful too. And we still aren't sure what Lindelof is adding.

We were top 4 challengers and then spend that money. We are NOW top 4, comfortably dropping the "challenger" tag. Did you expect us to have the same points as city?

Its funny when I hear the pundits say, Mourinho had done such a bad job. Then in almost the next sentence, United are nailed on to be in the top 4.

tjb

2 good teams engaged in a tactical battle can be fascinating, the constant change in game flow, reacting to each others moves, one team starting to gain dominance then a reaction. Mou's version of that is sit deep, defend the box and ask the other to make the running and wait for a mistake. To have the ball is to have fear. I am too much of an idealist to see the sophistication in that.

Next season will be much of the same, on an off pitch, even if he is backed massively in the market he will still find ways to engineer conflict, it is how he works. I don't think he will build anything in a style of play the next manager wants to take forward(unless we go for someone like Conte, as close to Mou as you could find) but given enough money and a freedom to throw obscene wages around he will sign some excellent players.
But I have seen Mourinho teams play this way. Remember when his team thrashed Arsenal 6-0. Or the exciting games against Liverpool. If he felt his team was better than this i am sure he would play with more aggression in the big games. I honestly believe he does not trust the quality of the players which is why he is so negative in big games.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But I have seen Mourinho teams play this way. Remember when his team thrashed Arsenal 6-0. Or the exciting games against Liverpool. If he felt his team was better than this i am sure he would play with more aggression in the big games. I honestly believe he does not trust the quality of the players which is why he is so negative in big games.
The jury is still out whether today's Jose can replicate the Jose of the past. I do agree that there is something in the balance of the squad, maybe combined with certain personalities that he thinks is off.

Bobski

The problem with that is it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Don't trust the players to be able to perform against good teams, players start to believe it, hurts their game against everyone else. So much of sporting power is in the ego and self confidence of the participant.

People always wonder how Fergie got so many good results with some of the bizarre line ups he would put out, squad players, youngsters, players out of position. I remember him beating a decent Arsenal side in the Cup with Rafael and Fabio on the wings flanking O'Shea and Gibson. Even with that line up they were aggressive and forceful looking to attack the game.

tjb

But that's not true. The Pogba move was immediately followed by Higuain for 75m. That summer was the beginning of this current market. Teams are also better now than they were then. Liverpool and Spurs are far better units now than in 2016. Also add that we have scored far more goals than that team. Pogba, Lukaku, Matic, and Bailly are good signings regardless of how bad Pogba's form currently is. But adding 4 players to Everton doesn't make them Man City. Our best player outfield player under Van Gaal, Martial, would not get into any of the current top 4 starting 11s. And before you say, Mourinho slowed him down , both statistically and through the eye test, neither Martial or Rashford were better then than they are now, the team simply relied on them more. So we are in a far better place than we were in 2016, but there are still areas that we have not improved. He messed up with Lindelof. Mhikitaryan was a dud. But the reason i am fine with Mourinho is that his track record in the transfer market is generally good unlike a certain LVG. Even if he does not lead us to where we want to be, i believe his squad building abilities are worth an additional season or two. There are huge costs to sacking him if we bring the wrong guy in after him. Liverpool showed us this with Rodgers and Dalglish, Van Gaal showed us this, AC Milan have showed us this. If we bring the wrong guy in, and he does not have an eye for talent, the way in which man utd is structured with the manager having so much power, we risk signing mediocre players and having a bad squad incapable of ever competing. So in essence, even if his style of play does not suit what you want, would you rather bear a guy that knows how to build a good squad or hire one of these newer managers who do not have a proven track record of winning and do not have evidence proving an ability to build a good team.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But that's not true. The Pogba move was immediately followed by Higuain for 75m. That summer was the beginning of this current market. Teams are also better now than they were then. Liverpool and Spurs are far better units now than in 2016. Also add that we have scored far more goals than that team. Pogba, Lukaku, Matic, and Bailly are good signings regardless of how bad Pogba's form currently is. But adding 4 players to Everton doesn't make them Man City. Our best player outfield player under Van Gaal, Martial, would not get into any of the current top 4 starting 11s. And before you say, Mourinho slowed him down , both statistically and through the eye test, neither Martial or Rashford were better then than they are now, the team simply relied on them more. So we are in a far better place than we were in 2016, but there are still areas that we have not improved. He messed up with Lindelof. Mhikitaryan was a dud. But the reason i am fine with Mourinho is that his track record in the transfer market is generally good unlike a certain LVG. Even if he does not lead us to where we want to be, i believe his squad building abilities are worth an additional season or two. There are huge costs to sacking him if we bring the wrong guy in after him. Liverpool showed us this with Rodgers and Dalglish, Van Gaal showed us this, AC Milan have showed us this. If we bring the wrong guy in, and he does not have an eye for talent, the way in which man utd is structured with the manager having so much power, we risk signing mediocre players and having a bad squad incapable of ever competing. So in essence, even if his style of play does not suit what you want, would you rather bear a guy that knows how to build a good squad or hire one of these newer managers who do not have a proven track record of winning and do not have evidence proving an ability to build a good team.
Who would you suggest we buy to complete the squad for next year ?

tjb

Who would you suggest we buy to complete the squad for next year ?
a new right back, a new left back, possibly a new centre back and a centre midfielder. New full backs because the ones we currently have are poor. Not just for their attacking play. When i watch other teams play, the full backs, with their ability to carry the ball, create space, and pass the ball are key in bringing the ball out from the back. Even in the past when centre backs were not as technical and used to hoof the ball, when the team wanted to play out from the back they used the full backs and the width they created because full backs are supposed to better ball players. Our full backs are too slow in making decisions, so whereas other teams can stretch an attack and create spaces to penetrate and enter midfield, our slow thinking defenders, particularly full backs, deprive us of the ability to do the same. A new centre back because Bailly is not always fit and we need at least one dependable centre back at all times to make us secure at the back. a new centre midfielder because i feel Pogba no longer wants to play the role in a two, i would personally push him up the pitch and have him play in the three behind lukaku alongside alexis and martial. Then if the board allows it, a backup striker for Lukaku. At the same time I would sell guys like smalling, shaw, herrera, pereira and more to finance this.

Its very hard to determine which defenders to get as its hard to spot a good defender unless you watch full games of them week in week out. But i would sign someone like sidibe, maybe meunier at right back ( depending on the cost), an experienced player like alderwied at center back and maybe poach digne to compete with shaw at left back ( considering price again). Then i would sign a centre midfielder that can pass and press like a jorginho or fabinho, even Nzonzi if possibly, because Mourinho likes to have midfielders who are willing to sit deep. Fabregas and Pogba are the outliers, and with pogba it clearly hasn't worked.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
a new right back, a new left back, possibly a new centre back and a centre midfielder. New full backs because the ones we currently have are poor. Not just for their attacking play. When i watch other teams play, the full backs, with their ability to carry the ball, create space, and pass the ball are key in bringing the ball out from the back. Even in the past when centre backs were not as technical and used to hoof the ball, when the team wanted to play out from the back they used the full backs and the width they created because full backs are supposed to better ball players. Our full backs are too slow in making decisions, so whereas other teams can stretch an attack and create spaces to penetrate and enter midfield, our slow thinking defenders, particularly full backs, deprive us of the ability to do the same. A new centre back because Bailly is not always fit and we need at least one dependable centre back at all times to make us secure at the back. a new centre midfielder because i feel Pogba no longer wants to play the role in a two, i would personally push him up the pitch and have him play in the three behind lukaku alongside alexis and martial. Then if the board allows it, a backup striker for Lukaku. At the same time I would sell guys like smalling, shaw, herrera, pereira and more to finance this.

Its very hard to determine which defenders to get as its hard to spot a good defender unless you watch full games of them week in week out. But i would sign someone like sidibe, maybe meunier at right back ( depending on the cost), an experienced player like alderwied at center back and maybe poach digne to compete with shaw at left back ( considering price again). Then i would sign a centre midfielder that can pass and press like a jorginho or fabinho, even Nzonzi if possibly, because Mourinho likes to have midfielders who are willing to sit deep. Fabregas and Pogba are the outliers, and with pogba it clearly hasn't worked.
Generally agree on fullbacks. Val and Young are both 32 and its quite obvious Mourinho isn't sold on Shaw. I'd also like to see us get some competition for Pogba since it doesn't look like he is able to play an entire year without some sort of absence. Ultimately, Mourinho needs to figure out how to deal with the final third problem as well and how to juggle all our attackers and get the best out of them.

SwSw

I actually don't mind his approach as much as others. Watching how the tactics play out is fun to watch. But the reason I would like to keep Mourinho is that he's a winner. People really underestimate this quality. He literally reads the game well and that is why even when he plays negatively, he wins. There are not many managers in football with this quality, and generally in sports, what you tend to see is that the same group of managers win the trophies. Its all well and good playing fun football, but winning is what matters at the end of the day, and winning consistently is incredibly hard. At the very least, I would like to see Mourinho given the opportunity to build the type of squad he wants. He knows how to build good teams, and if that is all he does for united, he would have left a good platform for the next manager unlike LVG.
I agree. I never rated managers like Klopp and Poch because I felt that if their ways didn't work, there isn't anything much they can fall back on. If we are going to change managers, I would prefer we go for Allegri instead.

One thing i won't fault Mourinho is his ability to spot talent and buy right in the market. So, even if things don't work out, we would be left with a group of good players.

tjb

Generally agree on fullbacks. Val and Young are both 32 and its quite obvious Mourinho isn't sold on Shaw. I'd also like to see us get some competition for Pogba since it doesn't look like he is able to play an entire year without some sort of absence. Ultimately, Mourinho needs to figure out how to deal with the final third problem as well and how to juggle all our attackers and get the best out of them.
I think the final third problem is related to the defence. I think because we can't play out from the back, it forces our midfielder and wingers to come deep and look for the ball, which then isolates Lukaku. In terms of quality, other teams also struggle with packed defences but because they can press well and get the ball high up the pitch quick enough, they have the opportunity to attack time after time. In our case we attack, and then a counter happens. When we had Blind at left back and Jones playing with Bailly at the start of the season, we were able to generate consistent attacks. My take is that having an intelligent player like Blind at the back, as well as not having Smalling's slow decision making allowed us to do this.

Water Melon

I agree. I never rated managers like Klopp and Poch because I felt that if their ways didn't work, there isn't anything much they can fall back on. If we are going to change managers, I would prefer we go for Allegri instead.

One thing i won't fault Mourinho is his ability to spot talent and buy right in the market. So, even if things don't work out, we would be left with a group of good players.
It is quite a subjective statement imo, and fully depends on what next manager's vision of the game is. Will he like Matic, Pogba, Alexis, Lindelof? I do not know. Mou himself is yet to get the best out of the majority players that he bought. Interesting summer is ahead. It could be curtains for Mou, depending on how we perform the next few weeks or it could mean curtains for some of our star players.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think the final third problem is related to the defence. I think because we can't play out from the back, it forces our midfielder and wingers to come deep and look for the ball, which then isolates Lukaku. In terms of quality, other teams also struggle with packed defences but because they can press well and get the ball high up the pitch quick enough, they have the opportunity to attack time after time. In our case we attack, and then a counter happens. When we had Blind at left back and Jones playing with Bailly at the start of the season, we were able to generate consistent attacks. My take is that having an intelligent player like Blind at the back, as well as not having Smalling's slow decision making allowed us to do this.
Good points. City don't seem to have this issue and they just invested heavily on fullbacks last summer.

haram

It has been clear that transitions and build up from deeper areas are a problem, especially away from home. You have to look at the defenders in these situations.

Bobski

Good points. City don't seem to have this issue and they just invested heavily on fullbacks last summer.
If Mou prioritized passing from the back then he could have used Blind at any stage of the season.

If we are looking for the best combination of passing/defending possible, and the guy will have to be an above average defender at worst for Mou to trust him, then who is the candidate? Domestically Maguire has the ball playing ability but I doubt his defensive quality against nimble agile and skilled players given his size and issues on the turn. Possibly what he thought Lindelof could be, he has looked very average in pretty much every facet of CB play.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If Mou prioritized passing from the back then he could have used Blind at any stage of the season.

If we are looking for the best combination of passing/defending possible, and the guy will have to be an above average defender at worst for Mou to trust him, then who is the candidate? Domestically Maguire has the ball playing ability but I doubt his defensive quality against nimble agile and skilled players given his size and issues on the turn. Possibly what he thought Lindelof could be, he has looked very average in pretty much every facet of CB play.
I still feel Bailly and Lindelof will eventually make a good partnership. On paper their styles should mesh well together.

Bobski

I still feel Bailly and Lindelof will eventually make a good partnership. On paper their styles should mesh well together.
Lindelof is going to have to take a massive step next season to make than happen. Opportunity comes first, and his performances do not merit the faith to give him an extended run. Needs to be more aggressive, stand up to the aerial challenge and be impactful in his defending. He would be 5th choice at the moment with everyone fit, 6th for me if Blind was an option, and some of the guys in front of him get regularly, and stupidly, written off as mid table(even read one today claiming Smalling, Jones and Rojo were Championship players, wonder what that person thinks of Lovren? League 2?)

amolbhatia50k

Yes so the market clearly wasn't insanely inflated when we signed those players. Pogba was a world record fee. You can pretend 300 million is not a huge deal but actually sifting through the dust and at those deals puts it in even more stark light that we've spent an absolute fortune. Just to make it extremely clear, and this is aimed towards a lot of people who make this mistake, when weighing up our spending from the past you have to apply the relevant inflation to the numbers at their value today. So 300 million doesn't suddenly look like nothing in the light of today's environment, it grows. This is fundamental and basic logic and shouldnt need explaining.

As for Jose's signings, I like almost all of them. My doubts revolve around how much he gets out of them. To sign Pogba(ex world record), Mkhitarian and Sanchez and them perform poorly with the former not even starting, is shambolic.

My overall feelings are mixed on Jose. I've always maintained that he should get another year to try to achieve success/be a success at united. But his recent comments definitely test that feeling.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes so the market clearly wasn't insanely inflated when we signed those players. Pogba was a world record fee. You can pretend 300 million is not a huge deal but actually sifting through the dust and at those deals puts it in even more stark light that we've spent an absolute fortune. Just to make it extremely clear, and this is aimed towards a lot of people who make this mistake, when weighing up our spending from the past you have to apply the relevant inflation to the numbers at their value today. So 300 million doesn't suddenly look like nothing in the light of today's environment, it grows. This is fundamental and basic logic and shouldnt need explaining.

As for Jose's signings, I like almost all of them. My doubts revolve around how much he gets out of them. To sign Pogba(ex world record), Mkhitarian and Sanchez and them perform poorly with the former not even starting, is shambolic.

My overall feelings are mixed on Jose. I've always maintained that he should get another year to try to achieve success/be a success at united. But his recent comments definitely test that feeling.
It’s also not ideal that he spent so much money on Lindelof and he can’t hold down a place in the team, despite all the injuries and technical deficiencies in the other players that play the same position.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If he prepares them and they hide all game is it on them or still on him?
Pity the manager can't run on the pitch and give any player who is slacking a clip round the ear. P.A. playing Benny Hill theme in the background. It would be entertaining.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What a load of shit that headline is.
Starts with the headline.
Quick paragraph of shaw being bullied (no quotes or evidence).
Paragraph after paragraph of matic interview which had nothing to do with shaw.

I hate the word click bait but that article is it to a tee. Did you read it?

DomesticTadpole

I'm not in the 'Player's need a good kick up the backside so Mourinho is right to publicly criticise' camp

Keep all the criticism in house, if he really thinks certain players don't have the mentality - just get rid in the summer. He sounds like manager who wants to know who the board will choose, the players or him.

Has a manager ever won if he ends up making enemies with most of the players, especially the highest bought/profile players?

Also - I'm not really sure why a few players like Shaw always get the wrong side of him. I personally didn't think he warranted those comments today.
Maybe he has tried the in house thing already earlier in the season and they are not listening. I think he has just got really exasperated with some of them. Some might be thinking they have more power than him. They might be in for a shock.

amolbhatia50k

It’s also not ideal that he spent so much money on Lindelof and he can’t hold down a place in the team, despite all the injuries and technical deficiencies in the other players that play the same position.
Absolutely. I think the lack of a ball playing defender has been a problem a lot of people identified a good while back, and it's a bit disappointing that the one addition in this regard looks pretty frail (in all aspects). I'm happy to give him more time but you can't help but feel worried at the idea of putting faith in him for next season based on what we've seen during this one.

DomesticTadpole

We were top 4 challengers and then spend that money. We are NOW top 4, comfortably dropping the "challenger" tag. Did you expect us to have the same points as city?

Its funny when I hear the pundits say, Mourinho had done such a bad job. Then in almost the next sentence, United are nailed on to be in the top 4.
I think people did, because nobody expected City to have this number of points. That they would be closer to our points that us to them.

kiristao

Watched the Post match press conference (Sevilla & Brighton) and must say he seems to be losing the plot. The old Jose used to always deflect attention from the players onto himself whenever they played badly. He did this a lot at Chelsea in his first stint and in his second stint as well. But when things started to go bad for a slightly extended period of time, he started to throw the players under the bus (oh the irony) without taking any blame on himself. A little while later, he was gone. Things seem to be heading in the same direction once again.
I am not in the Sack Jose brigade but I think he needs to take a good look at what he is doing wrong and try to solve the problem. Claiming we have just 2/3 players in the team who are willing to put in any kind of effort is just freaking stupid.

DomesticTadpole

Watched the Post match press conference (Sevilla & Brighton) and must say he seems to be losing the plot. The old Jose used to always deflect attention from the players onto himself whenever they played badly. He did this a lot at Chelsea in his first stint and in his second stint as well. But when things started to go bad for a slightly extended period of time, he started to throw the players under the bus (oh the irony) without taking any blame on himself. A little while later, he was gone. Things seem to be heading in the same direction once again.
I am not in the Sack Jose brigade but I think he needs to take a good look at what he is doing wrong and try to solve the problem. Claiming we have just 2/3 players in the team who are willing to put in any kind of effort is just freaking stupid.
This international break might be a good thing for Jose to go see his family and relax a bit. He might just be more refreshed when he comes back.

tjb

Absolutely. I think the lack of a ball playing defender has been a problem a lot of people identified a good while back, and it's a bit disappointing that the one addition in this regard looks pretty frail (in all aspects). I'm happy to give him more time but you can't help but feel worried at the idea of putting faith in him for next season based on what we've seen during this one.
We really should have bought a more experienced player in this role. Personally with LVG I feel we bought far too much potential, too many unknown entities. Lindelof is Mourinho's second of this kind( the first being Bailly), and that sometimes is the risk of doing business like that.

amolbhatia50k

We really should have bought a more experienced player in this role. Personally with LVG I feel we bought far too much potential, too many unknown entities. Lindelof is Mourinho's second of this kind( the first being Bailly), and that sometimes is the risk of doing business like that.
There's a risk either way. Mkhitarian was shockingly bad and the worst signing Jose made. It's about quality in ability and mentality.

But I agree about the player for this role.

iHicksy

The way I see it he's throwing down a gauntlet to the mentally weak players. These are the players that we do not want here. They might show flashes of brilliance but they don't stand up when it matters.

You have to remember SAF recruited players with the same personality traits he and Mourinho share, being a winner and having the personality to deal with the pressure that comes with being a United player. I remember reading his book that mental strength was a big thing and something they tried to do their research on when recruiting a player, it didn't always work out but that was a huge factor in recruitment.

Jose wants that same mental strength that SAF demanded from all his players when they put on the shirt. He didn't and wouldn't accept players that hid, but he had the luxury of being here long enough that he formed a squad of players with that toughness. Jose needs time to get those same players in. He's brought in Lukaku and Matic who are both mentally tough and have the traits needed to be winners. Why do you think Jose keeps young? He might not be the most talented left back in the league, but he's no coward and he has the mentality required to play for the shirt. Remember, this is a player who for most of his SAF United career was thought of as a passenger in the united team, we couldn't understand why he wasn't replaced and why SAF persisted in playing him and Valencia (when he was shifted to defence). They were both thought of as very average, but they both had these traits. If the weakest members of SAF teams had those traits then you can bet the rest of the team had them too. We're at a point where some of the worst players ability wise from those Champions league and Premier league squads are starting for Jose because, currently many of the other players do not have what it takes in comparison. I think, or rather hope that once Jose builds a team of mentality strong players we will see a different united.

Status
Not open for further replies.