Mourinho's Press Conference, Huddersfield (a): Sat, 6:30 pm, CET

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
3:38
More on Pogba's form

Mourinho adds:

“He had a big injury in the season, big injury, he had a big injury, he almost went to surgery like Dembele in Barcelona with a similar injury, the decision was not to do it and go to a conservative treatment, everyone really happy, he was playing phenomenal after that and before that, he had a red card against Arsenal probably in his best match and the team’s best moment, he was out for a long long time and in this moment he is not playing well, period, and the team needs him at a good level, when he is not a good level the team is not as good.

“It happens with every team when the most crucial players are not performing. You don’t need to come with we want to sell him, you don’t need that, some people go in that direction, some of them I know for many many years and I know their surname is Liar, and that’s not nice. He plays tomorrow.”
Alright, I get this now.

Thecarrickfan_2016

Fantastic that he swore in his press conference. About time he put the press and media in their place.

SwSw

Lingard on the right side of Matic and Pogba on the left side
But both doesn't have the needed discipline to play the role?

Why not just play a proper CM there instead? Are our options that bad that we have to play Lingard there?

I have a feeling Mourinho will probably bench Lingard next season when we get a better CM.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Exaclty what a lot of people were saying after the game but don't let the Pogba apologists hear that - they will go berserk. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I wish all the fans would overreact after a bad performance. Let's not give one of our best players the benefit of the doubt, eh?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Again, wtf is he trying to say here?
I watched it. Basically he is calling the press a bunch of liars, both on the stories of Pogba wanting to leave and a rift between the two. Also on the issue of Pogbas position on the pitch. He was basically saying he is playing Pogba in his preferred position Matic 6 and Pogba and Lingard both 8's so the stories about Pogba wanting a formation change is a lie.

Pogba had a couple of poor games and is off form and thats it. The rest is lies.

Thats what he is saying, then he goes after the press and basically has a meltdown calling them a bunch of liars.

ovoxo

Why not just play a proper CM there instead? Are our options that bad that we have to play Lingard there?

I have a feeling Mourinho will probably bench Lingard next season when we get a better CM.
Who could we play there? Herrera? Who has looked a shadow of himself? Or McTominay? We lack options in the middle.

Last edited:

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Again, wtf is he trying to say here?
He's saying we played 433 against newcastle and yet people are still moaning we need to shift top 433. That's how I'm reading it.

Jig1234

Big fan of this! :lol:

Can we get this level of fire on the pitch tomorrow please?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Isn't that the position everyone is crying out for Pogba to play? Agree on Lingard though, he isn't a number 8.

PlayerOne

So Jose saying Pogba on the left of the 3 against Newcastle. Something went wrong because it didn't look like it.

Red_Aaron

Everything mou has said about pogba is great but it's still adding fuel to the fire. SAF would've just said 'that's absolute bollox that' and it would be done with

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

The only other option was McTominay

Thisistheone

Wait so the midfield vs Newcastle was suppose to be:

Pogba--Lingard
-----Matic

If so then I really feel for Matic. May as well have been a 1 man midfield with Pogba jogging around and Lingard playing like a forward.

Jig1234

Isn't that the position everyone is crying out for Pogba to play? Agree on Lingard though, he isn't a number 8.
Lingard can only play no.10 in my opinion. He doesn't possess the natural qualities you would want in a winger. He can't cross and beat a man one on one. He is much better running with the ball from deep positions, finding space and making good runs. I don't see him as an option on the wing. His best work comes from just outside or inside the box. You don't want him in wide areas. Playing no.10 is where he can get the goals.

Drawfull

Strolling around and not giving a 100% is not off-form, I'm afraid.
How can you know he wasn't giving 100%? Don't mean to pick on you, but it's such a meaningless phrase.

Any player's '100%' will vary wildly match to match over the course of the season, for myriad reasons. None of us know whether he was simply below par the last few games, or if he has perhaps downed tools a little. Until we do know the actual facts of the matter, wouldn't it be better to give our players the benefit of the doubt and our support, especially when we're going through a rough patch?

PlayerOne

Pogba--Lingard
-----Matic

If so then I really feel for Matic. May as well have been a 1 man midfield with Pogba jogging around and Lingard playing like a forward.
It was the same against Spurs. Jose sees Lingard as a midfielder, he never mentioned him as a attacking player. You can see why we get overrun in the midfield

diplomat

How can you know he wasn't giving 100%? Don't mean to pick on you, but it's such a meaningless phrase.

Any player's '100%' will vary wildly match to match over the course of the season, for myriad reasons. None of us know whether he was simply below par the last few games, or if he has perhaps downed tools a little. Until we do know the actual facts of the matter, wouldn't it be better to give our players the benefit of the doubt and our support, especially when we're going through a rough patch?
How can I know? Well, watching us play with my own eyes this season, I can safely say Pogba can do a lot more in terms of work-rate. I can excuse bad performances or form, when things just aren't going well, but bad application on the pitch is unforgivable for me.

DdeGoat

This has come as huge relief, although I have had to read everything like 5 times to get the gist. :lol: We should be fine. He ain't losing it, yet.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
It was the same against Spurs. Jose sees Lingard as a midfielder, he never mentioned him as a attacking player. You can see why we get overrun in the midfield
That's worrisome. Lingard is clearly not a midfielder.

We really need 2 new midfielders in the summer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Herrera and fellaini were both injured (and still are). Plus neither have played too well most of the season, though Herrera has picked up in his last few starts.

Thisistheone

Yeah it's a mess the more I think about it. The balance is all wrong.

Especially when we're a team that doesn't specialize in possesion. We lose the ball and our midfield is exposed. City can play Fernandinho-KDB-Silva because they keep the ball so well and have CB's who can pass really well.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Okay then Jose, so making Jesse drop a little deeper was your supposed attempt at going 4-3-3 - well it didn't work, question is what are you actually going to do about it?

Attacking the media is all well and good, and it elicits whoops and cheers that our manager is back with fire in his belly, but where is the fire from the players on the pitch and where's the performances to match the fighting talk off the pitch.

We need to do more of our talking on the pitch.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I hope the players have his focus and no bullshit attitude. The best answer is always on the pitch but glad he demolished them. Fully deserved.

Everything mou has said about pogba is great but it's still adding fuel to the fire. SAF would've just said 'that's absolute bollox that' and it would be done with
I think SAF could also ban some of them from anything Manchester United related.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah it's a mess the more I think about it. The balance is all wrong.

Especially when we're a team that doesn't specialize in possesion. We lose the ball and our midfield is exposed. City can play Fernandinho-KDB-Silva because they keep the ball so well and have CB's who can pass really well.
It's more to do with tactics. Mourinho wouldn't be able to play a midfield of those 3, nor could anyone else really. Just Guardiolas style.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Mourinho's been pretty reserved since he joined us in his press conferences, with the odd exception here and there but that's some real fire there. Glad he's calling out the media's lies and whatnot.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's about time someone did it.
Well there is the fact he at times bullshits just as much as the media. I don't buy his argument that was a three man midfield.

Jesse Lingard is not a central midfielder.

Pogba has gone from having someone like Vidal as his fellow B2B midfielder to having an attacking mid/10 like Lingard and Jose is painting it like he was giving Pogba the platform to succeed. It is a load of baloney.

buckooo1978

Pogba--Lingard
-----Matic

and against Spurs

sounds like Jose is going to go to a 3 and he's trying to save face

haram

Well there is the fact he at times bullshits just as much as the media. I don't buy his argument that was a three man midfield.

Jesse Lingard is not a central midfielder.

Pogba has gone from having someone like Vidal as his fellow B2B midfielder to having an attacking mid/10 like Lingard and Jose is painting it like he was giving Pogba the platform to succeed. It is a load of baloney.
Well we don’t exactly have Vidal at our disposal. If people think playing McTominay instead of Lingard would have made a difference to Pogba’s performance against Newcastle they’re deluding themselves.

We will rectify it in the summer.