Mourinho's scapegoating and blameshifting - can you think of another manager on par with it?

Amerifan

He’s obviously a very intelligent man in many respects. But his blindness to the negative impacts of his own actions is stunning.

Jose: Free piece of advice that will instantly make you 100% more likable and effective: SHUT UP.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's still tactically astute
Is he?
Yes, he is still very good at setting up to spoil a game. But you have to look at it over a season.
His single biggest problem is that most players (especially at top clubs) no longer believe in the way he chooses to play.
I don't think he's astute, I don't think he's pragmatic. He's an idealist. He is almost religious in the way he chooses to play despite how football has moved.
Just read through some of his quotes about high pressing and possession football.

POF

Is he?
Yes, he is still very good at setting up to spoil a game. But you have to look at it over a season.
His single biggest problem is that most players (especially at top clubs) no longer believe in the way he chooses to play.
I don't think he's astute, I don't think he's pragmatic. He's an idealist. He is almost religious in the way he chooses to play despite how football has moved.
Just read through some of his quotes about high pressing and possession football.
I think he's very tactically astute. When you hear him talk football as a pundit or in interviews, he shows great appreciation of tactics and styles of play, even those he rarely implements in his teams.

The biggest issue with Jose now isn't the tactics he employs. It's the fact that his players don't follow it to the letter because they can't stand him.

CM

Nobody else comes close. Media spin is the only thing he's half decent at anymore.

arnie_ni

Surely it has an effect across the whole team here though. He publicly calls out your mate and throws him under the bus, it'll negatively effect more than just said player.

Mr Smith

Wenger did just the same thing in his day, he was just a little more subtle about it.

Champagne Football

He a checkbook manager, that's all he's ever been.

I'm his first stint at Chelsea, there was no FFP, so he used to spend hundreds of millions on players he didn't need just so Man Utd couldn't get them. He signed Shaun Wright-Phillips, the best winger in the league for a season, when he already had Robben, Duff, Joe Cole, just so Fergie couldn't get him. And he used to wait to see who Fergie was after, and just offer them an extra 20,000 quid a week to poach them, and we were all led to believe this man was the GOAT at the time.

He's an over rated, overhyped manager who got lucky being at clubs that could vastly outspend their rivals. Most of his trophies came from empty victories, even though he of course did some good things in his career.

His methods are dated. Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid are the only 2 clubs left in Europe where his dinosaur ways would not be ridiculed.

GenZRed

I wonder why he has become so bitter. People say 'Real broke him' but never specifically say how Real did that. He seemed fine when he returned to Chelsea, from what I remember.

It is not like he was a total shambles at Real Madrid he won 1 La Liga, made it to the semi-final of the Champions league 3 times in a row. He had to compete with a great Barcelona side so his record is nothing to be ashamed about.

Reactions: Niall

Red00012

He changed when he stopped winning.

Focused on individual players rather than himself

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He even turned against his own medical staff...

What an utter moron he's become. Wait until the start of next season (if he's still there). He'll be at all out war with Levy, for sure.

Alabaster Codify7

He never used to be like that, though - it all comes down to Real Madrid. That was the first time in his career that the players turned on him publicly, and threw HIM under the bus. It broke his entire ego, knowing that player power exists to such an extent that it can cost him his job, and he never recovered. He was used to players running through brick walls for him and the cause, that didnt happen at Madrid and it turned him into a paranoid weirdo.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
His change in appearance tells the story best. He used to be a slick handsome Portuguese dude. Now he's an old, miserable, bald has been just looking disgusted 90% of the time. He walks around like he fecking hates his job.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
“Spurs” is sometimes used as a verb, and an example that an online dictionary would be:

Having a young, stable, sought-after manager whilst consistently finishing in the top 4 and reaching a Champions League final. Then paying off said manager and employing a poisonous has-been on a massive contract. To Spurs.

Feck Spurs and feck Mourinho.
That's one possible definition. The other being finishing third in a two-horse race.

Irwin99

I can't stand the relentless negativity of Jose, but i find the relentless positivity BS just as bad to be honest. We used to take the piss out of Brendon Rodgers and Rafa for that. There's got to be a happy medium.

DevilRed

I think jose's ego has finally gotten bigger than his achievements.

Back in the day, when he was winning this was fine. Endearing even.

Now with football having changed and jose struggling to adapt, it has put him in a very negative light.

If he doesn't succeed at spurs, I'm sure some stupid Serie A club will offer him a job (i.e. Milans) but nobody else would touch him with a bargepole.

Charles Miller

Did he always do this or it is it a relatively new thing coinciding with becoming quite a shit manager? My memory of him when he was successful was that he always tried to deflect attention/pressure from his players. He seems to have stopped doing this in recent years with it all being about self preservation and blaming others
I think he can't adapt to the current mindset among players.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
People saying real madrid broke him have it wrong. It was barcelona and Guardiola that broke him. He went insane trying to beat them and something broke in him in the process

All of his subsequent failures had in common his total lack of belief in his team

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
His work at RM was good if you consider he was up against one of the best sides ever.

He won the league back at Chelsea and then it obviously went tits up, but a league is still a league.

He’s our best manager since Ferguson, won trophies and got us up to second but then bizarrely was not backed the Summer after being given a contract extension.

Spurs is not going great but he’s still in with a fighting chance this season and probably deserves a full Summer to mould his team for judgement next season.

I’m not a massive Mourinho fan any more and can see that he’s past his sell by date, but he still has an enviable record at his last four clubs when you look at his CV.

More fashionable managers get plaudits during the same period despite winning less.

In any case, I’m glad he’s at Spurs creating misery now.
Would you trust Mourinho the perform a rebuild? I'd even have doubts about prime Jose doing that aspect of management let alone this version.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think jose's ego has finally gotten bigger than his achievements.

Back in the day, when he was winning this was fine. Endearing even.

Now with football having changed and jose struggling to adapt, it has put him in a very negative light.

If he doesn't succeed at spurs, I'm sure some stupid Serie A club will offer him a job (i.e. Milans) but nobody else would touch him with a bargepole.
It's hard to tell, it was mental he got another top job after the Chelsea collapse let alone United.

He's like a manager version of Torres, like Nando for some strange reason he has a whole legion of people fooled into thinking it's a long run of bad luck as opposed to decline.

I genuinely wouldn't be shocked if another chairman was fooled.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Would you trust Mourinho the perform a rebuild? I'd even have doubts about prime Jose doing that aspect of management let alone this version.
No I would not. He’s a cheque book manager. Any chairman who hires him for a rebuild only has themselves to blame. Once you hire him, you have to give him money to buy ready made players.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
People saying real madrid broke him have it wrong. It was barcelona and Guardiola that broke him. He went insane trying to beat them and something broke in him in the process

All of his subsequent failures had in common his total lack of belief in his team
I think so too. Pep and Barcelona broke him in many ways.
Mourinhos pragmatic style dominated football where him and Benitez will play 180mins and just cancel out each other with no intention of creating anything

Mourinhos philosophy has always been that the opponent is infinitely strong and we are infinitely weak, so we have to be the underdog

Before Pep, Barcelona was seeking a coach and being part of the Barca team, he thought he might be picked but they picked Pep, then he became bitter trying to prove a point. He eliminated them at Inter and was very happy to have proven them wrong but when he went to Madrid, and first few games Pep handed him a 5-0 beating, that changed him, he became even more negative with his approach and when from pragmatic to just thuggery, playing Pepe in midfield and just thugging Barcelona out. It went beyond football to pure hatred for the opponent It got to a peak with the Villanova eye poke and felt betrayed that the Madrid players didn't share the personal hatred for Barcelona, Casillas, Alonso, spoke on the phone with Xavi and Iniesta towards Euro 2012.
Making him give the famous "I am going back to the club I am loved" speech.
He now operated like a mob boss always looking for some betrayal from someone in his team whether its Eva Hazard Pogba Ndombele anyone

I heard him after Leipzig raving about Nkunku and Poulsen like they are some top players

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
For me, who followed with admiration his work at Porto between 2002/2004, without being my club, the amount of people this guy inspired in Portugal to become a football coach, to start studying football at Universities and so on, it's really painfull to watch how low his current level is. It's not only the usual downfall you see from top managers who were 10 maybe 15 years at the top, excluding Ferguson, Trappatoni, Lobanovsky and a few more.

You can look at guys like Wenger or Benitez recently, or even Ancelotti, but not one of them looked so miserable talking about the game, we already know how it will end, the only thing we know is that Mendes or maybe other agents really show how it's possible to keep working at this level even if everybody who has a reasonable understanding of the game know that he simply won't change, doesn't want to reinvent himself, and even the things where he made the difference, like the mental side of the players, or being strong regarding the deffensive organization of his teams, it's all gone.

I even doubt if he had the best squad in Portugal he would win the League, that's how bad he is. And this is the same guy who a few months ago was saying Bruno Fernandes would struggle in England and at the same time brought Gedson Fernandes to Spurs. Go figure. My advice to Spurs, send him home and don't start next season with him. Really, forget it.

Suvvernmanc

Is he?
I agree, and to think that spurs fans thought like we did in that he would be different somehow. I know alot of spurs fans and they are all saying they hate his style and that hes going to lose the dressing room if he hasn't already.

How they could be so blind to his ways?

Poch had their players playing some great stuff. Now those same players are trying to Learn the pragmatic, negative style that jose likes. It was never going to work was it?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Dont necessarily buy the sole narrative that Madrid 'broke Jose'. The reason the negative circus began to reveal itself externally was purely because of Jose.
He made his issues at Madrid public by gradually feeding out little scraps of info before eventually blowing up.
Jose simply broke himself. He thought he had the upper hand at Madrid due to his strong relationship to Perez,which is still very much there today, and the fact Perez himself wasn't particularly keen on a few of the Madrid playing staff.
Jose thought he had a strong grasp on the situation because of his relationship with the main man but that obviously backfired.

The majority of bad press that arrived at Madrid was largely on Jose because he simply couldn't grasp the fact he was just a another piece of the Madrid jigsaw puzzle.
His ego simply couldn't take the fact that Madrid was bigger than him.

He went from being worshipped at Chelsea ,and then later with Inter, to being just another cog in the system at Madrid.
When things went bad he had a public baby tantrum. The woe is me narrative that he's been carrying on his shoulders since he was finally booted out of Madrid is very much still ever present.

Mindhunter

He a checkbook manager, that's all he's ever been.

I'm his first stint at Chelsea, there was no FFP, so he used to spend hundreds of millions on players he didn't need just so Man Utd couldn't get them. He signed Shaun Wright-Phillips, the best winger in the league for a season, when he already had Robben, Duff, Joe Cole, just so Fergie couldn't get him. And he used to wait to see who Fergie was after, and just offer them an extra 20,000 quid a week to poach them, and we were all led to believe this man was the GOAT at the time.

He's an over rated, overhyped manager who got lucky being at clubs that could vastly outspend their rivals. Most of his trophies came from empty victories, even though he of course did some good things in his career.

His methods are dated. Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid are the only 2 clubs left in Europe where his dinosaur ways would not be ridiculed.
Porto

Santoryo

ripping the reward
What I find worse then Mourinho throwing players under the bus is those gullible and moronic enough who get easily swayed by his obvious nonsense. The people stupid enough to swallow all his bullshit and treat his every word as gospel like a cult are the morons that annoy me more than Jose's shenanigans themselves.

It's downright rage inducing how devoted some lots are to him despite his blatant attempt at manipulation. Obviously those not dumb enough don't fall for his nonsense but the dumb ones do and unfortunately that latter lots becomes completely unbearable on internet forums because of their cult like mentality toward Mourinho.

Rolaholic

Have never seen someone with so much past success be so quick to blame any and everything under the sun for their own failures. He's become allergic to accountability as he's aged.

So glad not to have that miserable, petty and self serving cnut at the club anymore.

Lynty

How did we ever think Jose at United would work?

Worse still, what was Spurs thinking?

Jose needs a long break from football to reassess himself and develop a new modern style of play. Or take on a national team for a while.