Mourinho's signings at United

Robbie Boy

Harsh on Matic. He was a good signing at a reasonable price.
Terrible signing, utterly terrible. He was clearly massively declining when we signed him and unless you think a player playing well for 3 months constitutes as a good signing, then yeah, he was a total dud.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Moyes
Mata - underperformed but gave us good moments
Fellaini - shit signing but at least gave us some good moments, sold

1/2 players still here. None of them are first 11 players.

LVG
Shaw - injuries fecked up his career but should still stay, at least as backup if we get a new LB
Herrera - good signing that only became good after LVG left, left on a free
Rojo - shit, should be sold
Di Maria - shit and didn't want to be here, sold
Blind - decent utility player, sold
Valdes - LVG hated him, left
Depay - shit, could have been good under another manager, sold
Darmian - shit, sold
Schneiderlin - shit, sold
Schweinsteiger - shit, sold
Romero - good
Martial - good

4/12 players still here, 3 of them who deserve to stay. 2 of which are first team players.

It's fair to say that it's not just the managers, it's whoever's above the manager. A DoF is utterly critical if we want to avoid shit like this.
And this is why we are in the position we are in. I hope Ole got rid of some of our scouting department as their performance for 6 years has been really poor. The only players I liked after watching in a number of matches are below. The rest, IMO, was poor scouting as they clearly showed fairly quickly they were not top quality. It befuddles me that our scouts didn't see the limitations before buying. This means 16 out of 25 should not have been bought which is a pretty poor record.

Di Maria - world class but LVG used him the wrong way and could have built a good attack around him.
Shaw - too bad breaking the leg
Martial - still hasn't tapped potential yet
Herrera - always liked him
Mata - I thought this was a good buy and it was for a few years
Pogba - world class
Bailly - I was impressed when I saw him play his first few matches
Lindelof - I like him, only real weakness is in the air which is tough playing in the PL
Ibra - always a short term solution though

Amerifan

I’m not convinced any were shit players when acquired. The problem was integration into our squad. Aside from Matic and Zlatan, do we know the others were on Jose’s short list? Sanchez, in particular, seemed like a merchandising sign without plan of how to fit him into the starting XI. Handing a manager a player isn’t always handing him a gift.

The days of signing good players irrespective of squad fit seem to be behind us. I credit Ole with bringing back that discipline.

Jackal

Do the Manutd board ever get together with the owners and then look at money spent by Ed Woodward?

You would look at the signings and money spend and the starting 11 and think.. what on earth has gone on?

Apart from this summer, Pogba and Lindelof are the ONLY Jose starters.

How anyone can defend Jose on this is beyond me. The reason I say this, Jose has experience of working with difficult boards at Madrid and Chelsea but he signed well.

At United, his signings are actually so bad.
The players Jose brought in directly were Zlatan and Matic out of all the signings under him, the others were Woodward's fantasy signing. Lindelof and Bailly weren't Jose's signings. Anyone that is conversant with Jose's body of work knows he prioritises his defence and he 100% favours experience in that department of the team. Jose will not descend from the hill of Carvalho, Terry, Ramos, Lucio, etc for a couple of rookies(Bailly/Lindelof) in his defence. The fact that Bailly was signed few days after Jose arrived points that the transfer was already done and dusted before United thought of bringing Jose on board.

Pogba & Sanchez were commercial signings for Woodward. Fred, Dalot and Grant(laughable transfers) for a manager trying to close down 19 points gap on City. These poverty signings were Woodward's signings. Jose originally begged for 5 signings that included Toby Alderweireld and Milinkovic-Savic. Woodward's shrewdness came into play and vetoed off the transfer list - he went for the cheaper options instead.

Lukaku signing was a necessity they didn't bargain for. A series of unfortunate events led the club into sniffing the man from Everton. Zlatan had gotten injured for 9 months and Rooney was being phased out. There was no senior striker in the team and the 2 strikers available in the market were Romelu and Morata. United got the better player of the two as we already know. How do you blame Jose for the shrewdness of Ed Woodward? He asked for 2 CBs last summer and he was told to coach the ones he already got. If the board really felt the defenders at United were good enough, how come they went all out to spend £130m twelve months later?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think a couple of those players, Mickey and Zlatan, were bought to wet Mino's beak and facilitate the Pogba transfer.

Doesn't excuse the rest being unsuited to United, mind.

SAFMUTD

Fred (inconsistent, flashes of quality - needs more time)
Im impressed at how many posters here believe Fred needs more time, he's been here for over a year. He doesn't needs more time, he is not good enough and we should get rid, ffs the man can't even get a game ahead players like McTomminay or Pereira.

Its the same situation we had with players like Bailly, Rojo, Lingard, we used to think they needed time to prove their worth until finally 3 seasons after we renew them with improved wages and realize they are shit and now we can't get rid.

fergiesarmy1

Im impressed at how many posters here believe Fred needs more time, he's been here for over a year. He doesn't needs more time, he is not good enough and we should get rid, ffs the man can't even get a game ahead players like McTomminay or Pereira.

Its the same situation we had with players like Bailly, Rojo, Lingard, we used to think they needed time to prove their worth until finally 3 seasons after we renew them with improved wages and realize they are shit and now we can't get rid.
I don’t even count him as a united player anymore, Fred the red would be more useful.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
How much say does a manager actually have as to who we sign? A short list of potential stars. That's it. He had a bad run, but so does every manager. What about LVG or Moyes' signings? They were shit too. Fergie signed some absolute turds, while you're at it.

King Andow

Im impressed at how many posters here believe Fred needs more time, he's been here for over a year. He doesn't needs more time, he is not good enough and we should get rid, ffs the man can't even get a game ahead players like McTominay or Pereira.

To be honest, as subpar as he's been he still didn't got a good run of games with Ole and he was good vs teams like PSG and Barcelona. I think we should wait until the end of the season to properly judge him. Also, his contract is until 2023, we won't renew soon and playing him is the best alternative also if selling will be our choice.

fergiesarmy1

To be honest, as subpar as he's been he still didn't got a good run of games with Ole and he was good vs teams like PSG and Barcelona. I think we should wait until the end of the season to properly judge him. Also, his contract is until 2023, we won't renew soon and playing him is the best alternative also if selling will be our choice.
Just don’t think he is good enough to be playing for united (although that’s an oxymoron based on this team) what level is the Ukrainian league to base spunking 50 million on him?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Isn't shite but is incredibly suspect and I'd expect fans to say he isn't good enough for the same reasons Jones and Smalling weren't good enough. A CB with a potential weekly mistake in him. Once he's served up enough of those timidity errors in big games he'll be on everyone's deadwood list
Lideloff is in the spotlight right now because 2 games in a row he lost headers that lead to goals. But if we look at those goals, the first one was a header that was flicked on but Maguire didn't back him up. No defender wins all their headers. Maguire was out of position. And for the one last week, it's hard to blame a guy for losing a header against a guy who is 6'7. It was also a floated inswinger to the 6 yard box. Hello....De Gea....get off your line and own your box

CM10

His signings got worse year on year. I didn't really like any of his signings from year 2 but Grant, Dalot and Fred? I'm not sure any of them have had even one meaningful game for United.

SAFMUTD

Dont you think he would had been used by now if he was good enough? Both Mourinho and Ole had left him relegated. The only reason why Ole used him against Barcelona and PSG was because we had an injury crisis, even now with the thin thin midfield we have and he doesn’t even get minutes as sub.

I swear he must be the worst player on traning, seriously how can he dont get ant minutes ahead of Pereira? He must be really shit on training.

Red_toad

Sheesh this thread, people can’t just move on. Ole’s signings are all looking very good, good to see a new direction, I hope he gets time to reap the rewards.

Treble

I remember people saying at the time that even if Mourinho doesn't succeed his signings are good and he will leave the team in a much better condition quality wise. Some are saying the same thing about Ole now. You know the quality of new signings only if they bring success or if the next manager is happy to have them. What is deadwood for one might be quality for another.

Stepney73

Eric Baily (Shit - should be sold)
Zlatan Imbrahimovich (Olddie but a goodie - Gone but not forgotten)
Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Shit - Sold)
Paul Pogba (very very good when he's on it, inconsistent - questions marks if he wants to be here)
Victor Lindelof (See Pogba but less good - should keep wants to be here)
Romelu Lukaku (Shit - sold)
Nemanja Matic (good for 3 months then shit - should be sold)
Alexis Sanchez (outrageously shit - on loan, should be sold)
Fred (inconsistent, flashes of quality - needs more time)
Diogo Dalot (handy player who I believe needs to play on the right wing more - prospect)
Lee Grant (who?)

So 5 players of which 3 of them were not deemed world class but haven't yet been deemed horrendous signings. that could quite easily fall to 2 being Pogba and Zlatan depending on how the others develop.

feck me, people complain about the Glazers not giving him money, but you can hardly blame them. There's no coherence or consistency in those players either. Its literally a scatter gun approach.
Agree with most of the above but.

Pogba has only had about 5 or 6 good half games and should be out the door next summer.
Fred is shit and should be sold ASAP.

Come to think of it the only players I would 100% keep long term are oles own signings and a few of the youth players.

fallengt

He's become boogeyman it seems. "Everything was Mourinho's fault". Only Matic & Sanchez caused serious damage if you ask me.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
He's become boogeyman it seems. "Everything was Mourinho's fault". Only Matic & Sanchez caused serious damage if you ask me.
No but that is a serious amount of money spent on players that have provided next to no quality. If I was an owner and saw that list, I wouldn't be giving him money either. Glazer this and Glazer that, if any manager spanked that amount of money on those players to get the results that he did, they'd get the arse too.

Fracture90

Eric Baily (huge potential when signed, actually we've seen some glimpses of him in his 1st season. And personally I haven't given up on him just yet)

Zlatan (came cause of Mourinho in the first place, but quality nonetheless)

Mkhitaryan (part of the deal for Pogba, had a terrific last season in Dortmund noone expected him to flop that way. Had a great Europa league.)

Pogba (not a Mourinho signing, actually If I remember correctly I read some where that Ed has been working on his transfer the past 3 years.)

Lindelof (huge potential, but I think I can remember how the caf responded to his first season here)

Lukaku (not even close to shit, you're just too biased)

Matic (very good first 6 months, still quality for his age and better than Mctominay, people moan about Carrick when he left but all he was doing was 3m passes sideways, no risk no anything)

Alexis (worst transfer ever by a mile, I think we can agree on this one)

Fred (has potential, but I'm leaning on flop, I think with a real coach would deploy his talent better. Pep wanted him, he would be able to get that out of him)

Dalot (ok, has potential, needs time)

Grant (goalkeeper's coach)

feck me people still moan about Mourinho like he's the second coming of Moyes(hate that cnut)
But Mourinho got us playing some great stuff on his 1st season that everybody seem to forget, yeah not perfect but you could see that with one or two twitches we could be challenging.
You alright there champ?

Dennis_Law

Supports
Aberdeen
Rojo - shit, should be sold
Should be sold? should never have been bought in the first place, symptomatic of the whole club post-SAF actually. Remember, he couldn't even play when first purchased due to a paperwork issue! Wtf. The club should look deeper into a player before buying - not just their football past, but everything - its called due diligence. How much money has Rojo pocketed since 2015 whilst at Utd. for doing what exactly? Lucky guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karlos PFC

You alright there champ?
Yeah I'm OK mate.

About Lukaku, I'm not saying that he was what we needed but he is a top CF. The problem was and still is that we ain't got a player like Eriksson with an eye for deadly balls. Pogba plays as a DM though he has the skills for that position, Mata (past it), Perreira (not even close), Mkhi (had high hopes for but failed miserably) and Lingard (should be sold after Mourinho left).

You seem to have the memory of a goldfish. There were lots of games under Mou that we drew in the last few minutes and deserved to win, but thanks to our solid CB pairings we were let down. Also 2nd season if I recall correctly we began the league with 10 straight wins and 4-0 was our favourite scoreline. Can you remember the reactions in here?

gerdm07

The good news is OGS is 3 for 3 in signings so far. IMO this puts him ahead of Moyes, LVG and Mou. This accomplishment alone should make his job save until 2021. Yes, I might be jumping the gun on James but all indications show he is a very good signing.

Greck

The good news is OGS is 3 for 3 in signings so far. IMO this puts him ahead of Moyes, LVG and Mou. This accomplishment alone should make his job save until 2021. Yes, I might be jumping the gun on James but all indications show he is a very good signing.
We haven't even had these players long enough to know their weaknesses. Jose and LVG's signings were also called masterstrokes at the same point. Or is there some sarcasm I missed in your post, in which case :lol: and if there's no sarcasm then :lol: regardless. Being a good recruiter is only a part of management. It doesn't instantly buy him 2 more years

Last edited:

Sir Scott McToMinay

We thought that Darmian, Matic, Bailly, Lukaku were great signings too, give it time before confirming brand new signings as successful.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We thought that Darmian, Matic, Bailly, Lukaku were great signings too, give it time before confirming brand new signings as successful.
Ole good, Mourinho bad. That's all you need to write on this board.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, majority of his signings were in positions we needed and most of them looked the part early on. Are we actually debating this forum didn't think Sanchez would be a great signing?

To class Mkhi and Lukaku as 'shit' tells you all you need to know about this board. Both weren't as good as we hoped for but both contributed to our 2 best seasons post Fergie. The actual 'shit' signings are ones who have shown nothing and we've been unable to move them on due to ludicrous wages, no decent team fancies them. 'Shit' signings like Lukaku, Sanchez, Mkhi all moved to clubs with European football on offer, and pretty promptly too.

The problems at this club are structural, no top team gives the manager a free reign to choose their players and shape the squad to their liking. That's left to an actual DoF who'll lay the foundations at the club and ensure squad isn't severely weakened in any area. The fact we hire managers with completely contrasting philosophies and give them a free reign is further proof how incompetently we're managed from the top, the current window which we had symbolizes all the problems at the club.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We have done a lot of bad signings. To me it looks like Ed has been hustled by everything from agents to other moneymen for quite a few years now and Mourinho probably didn't do his best to stop a few of those deals either. Mkhitaryan and Fred for instance, just a couple of particularly weird signings. Quite clearly two gamble-signings, and we've done that for a few times now when we're really in the market to find important players to play a big part in our team. It really makes no sense to gamble on certain players, especially when they come as expensive as the more safer options. It has rendered our work in the market redundant for a few years running and it has heavily put the breaks on this team.

The current equivalent to it would be if Ed next summer didn't invest in at least a couple of reliable good central midfielders but bought a player from the Russian league like Malcom (if he has a good season there) for the "bargain" fee of 40-50m. 40-50m is certainly not a bargain fee if the player is a bargain punt type of player. The ratio of risk and reward doing that is just so flawed. Hopefully Ole will stop that trend. Not to say every signing is going to work out, that isn't possible but we need to be prepared for it when they don't.

gerdm07

The three players up for player of the month of August were.....James, Maguire and AWB. They are already are our better players. Maguire > Bailly easily and proven. AWB is nothing like Darmian. Matic was always on his last legs and we had hoped to get a couple of years from him. We got 6 months. Not everyone was enamored with the big lumbering striker when signed especially given the trend in attackers is to be quick and skillful. Mou when against the trend and it cost us.

Lee565

The three players up for player of the month of August were.....James, Maguire and AWB. They are already are our better players. Maguire > Bailly easily and proven. AWB is nothing like Darmian. Matic was always on his last legs and we had hoped to get a couple of years from him. We got 6 months. Not everyone was enamored with the big lumbering striker when signed especially given the trend in attackers is to be quick and skillful. Mou when against the trend and it cost us.
I would hope so considering he cost almost 3 times as much as bailly.

gerdm07

We haven't even had these players long enough to know their weaknesses. Jose and LVG's signings were also called masterstrokes at the same point. Or is there some sarcasm I missed in your post, in which case :lol: and if there's no sarcasm then :lol: regardless. Being a good recruiter is only a part of management. It doesn't instantly buy him 2 more years
Masterstrokes? Maybe by some. I think a lot of people, after watching them for around 5 matches, were not excited about Rojo, Blind, Darmian, Depay, Schneiderlein and Schweinsteiger. I think many are excited now about James, Maguire and AWB after a month.

lex talionis

I dong recall a great deal of excitement re Rojo, Blind, Darmian, Depay, Schneiderlin, and Schweinsteiger after their first 4-5 performances.

Depay had a blinder in his first or second match but was a complete mess thereafter.

These were bad buys and we all knew it on day one. Ole’s buys are brilliant. I wish he had brought in one or two midfielders but I digress. Better to get three right than lose focus and risk getting five wrong. This is what happened with LVG and Mourinho.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

Greck

Masterstrokes? Maybe by some. I think a lot of people, after watching them for around 5 matches, were not excited about Rojo, Blind, Darmian, Depay, Schneiderlein and Schweinsteiger. I think many are excited now about James, Maguire and AWB after a month.
Many of them were praised. Not all but many. Bailly and Mkhi were called masterstrokes. Lukaku burst out the gates with 5 in his first 5 matches. One funny trend is our British players (even under SAF) tend to have incredible first few months. Smalling, Jones, Young, Welbeck, Cleverley and Rashford started on hotstreaks and then cooled off in the following seasons. Anyway it's obviously not restricted to British. Point is the first month here alone doesn't determine the success of a signing. Although I wouldn't tell anyone not to celebrate it

Keefy18

The players Jose brought in directly were Zlatan and Matic out of all the signings under him, the others were Woodward's fantasy signing. Lindelof and Bailly weren't Jose's signings. Anyone that is conversant with Jose's body of work knows he prioritises his defence and he 100% favours experience in that department of the team. Jose will not descend from the hill of Carvalho, Terry, Ramos, Lucio, etc for a couple of rookies(Bailly/Lindelof) in his defence. The fact that Bailly was signed few days after Jose arrived points that the transfer was already done and dusted before United thought of bringing Jose on board.

Pogba & Sanchez were commercial signings for Woodward. Fred, Dalot and Grant(laughable transfers) for a manager trying to close down 19 points gap on City. These poverty signings were Woodward's signings. Jose originally begged for 5 signings that included Toby Alderweireld and Milinkovic-Savic. Woodward's shrewdness came into play and vetoed off the transfer list - he went for the cheaper options instead.

Lukaku signing was a necessity they didn't bargain for. A series of unfortunate events led the club into sniffing the man from Everton. Zlatan had gotten injured for 9 months and Rooney was being phased out. There was no senior striker in the team and the 2 strikers available in the market were Romelu and Morata. United got the better player of the two as we already know. How do you blame Jose for the shrewdness of Ed Woodward? He asked for 2 CBs last summer and he was told to coach the ones he already got. If the board really felt the defenders at United were good enough, how come they went all out to spend £130m twelve months later?
Sweet christ on a cracker, what is this utter, utter imaginary waffle?

You've absolutely no idea what the reasons were behind each signing at all, stop posting like your on the board of the club ffs.

You say Jose didn't want Sanchez? What utter crap. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ose-mourinho-arsenal-badly-sign-a8172926.html

Jose demanded Pogba, it's absolutely well known he did.

My god you've given my ar*ehole a migraine reading this.

Greck

Sweet christ on a cracker, what is this utter, utter imaginary waffle?

You've absolutely no idea what the reasons were behind each signing at all, stop posting like your on the board of the club ffs.

You say Jose didn't want Sanchez? What utter crap. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ose-mourinho-arsenal-badly-sign-a8172926.html

Jose demanded Pogba, it's absolutely well known he did.

My god you've given my ar*ehole a migraine reading this.
Add this
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42826797

He was waxing lyrical over securing Sanchez in every interview for the two weeks that followed. Now people want to revise history to say the club forced Sanchez on poor ole Jose

Keefy18

How much say does a manager actually have as to who we sign? A short list of potential stars. That's it. He had a bad run, but so does every manager. What about LVG or Moyes' signings? They were shit too. Fergie signed some absolute turds, while you're at it.
There's been plenty of Moyes & LVG threads on the same topic.

God the Joseites are a touchy bunch of primadonna's.

Jose's investments have by an large been feckin terrible for the club and I don't just mean their performances, its the damage they've done to morale, creating player power and feckin up the finances.

Robbie Boy

Mourinho really done a number on some of our fans who defend him in a cult like manner. Any poor signing is blamed on the Board and poor Jose just had to make do. I mean seriously, get a fecking grip.

Jimmy_Bond

I thought I'd brisk read or two posts and jump to a wild conclusion about what this thread is about.

Are we saying Jose only wanted Zlatan and Matic and it was Woodword who insisted that we sign Lindelof and Bailly simply to boost shirt and season ticket sales?

Fracture90

Yeah I'm OK mate.

About Lukaku, I'm not saying that he was what we needed but he is a top CF. The problem was and still is that we ain't got a player like Eriksson with an eye for deadly balls. Pogba plays as a DM though he has the skills for that position, Mata (past it), Perreira (not even close), Mkhi (had high hopes for but failed miserably) and Lingard (should be sold after Mourinho left).

You seem to have the memory of a goldfish. There were lots of games under Mou that we drew in the last few minutes and deserved to win, but thanks to our solid CB pairings we were let down. Also 2nd season if I recall correctly we began the league with 10 straight wins and 4-0 was our favourite scoreline. Can you remember the reactions in here?
Dude I'm not saying Lukaku is crap, far from it, but he's nothing special tbh. Remember just how many sitters he bottled? Very one dimensional player.

Honestly those games where we played some "great stuff" were too few and too far between, and we only played only one half good in those games. One of those games was that game where we beaten Leicester 4:1, first half of that game was the best we looked under Mourinho, but we never really repeated that game.

You can't accuse me of having the memory of a goldfish and then proceed to count those 4:0 games at the start of the season as a way to prove your point because if you remember in those games it was usually 1:0 up until 15-20 minutes before the end and game was always open, we were far from convincing. It was only in the last 15-20 minutes where we were catching our opposition on the counter and banging in goals. Result in those games was never a true representative of our strength and game.