Mourinho's United record vs Guardiola's City record

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Stand out really easy games for United this season (against opposition that really wouldn't be anywhere near the same league): Northampton away, 3-1 United win

Stand our easy games for City: Steaua Bucharest Home (1-0 win), away (5-0 win)

If someone wants to mention the difficulty difference being in the CL compared to Europa League... Obviously Barca is a lot harder (though offset by the Steaua games), but I don't think there is anything between Monchengladbach and feyenoord/fenerbache or zorya/celtic. So overall not really different difficulty wise for the season (also City are yet to play Arsenal or Liverpool in the first half of their season, while we played all the bigger teams).

Thought it was interesting and to share. People going a bit over the top after 2 months of the season how Mourinho is past it while Guardiola is a genius... When really they have identical records 25 games into their careers here.

Abizzz

Both should be doing better. Both have made some decisions I consider strange (Examples: Mou's handling of Shaw, Pep swapping Hart for Bravo, attempting to build a defence around Stones) but have only been in their jobs for 5 months... It's early days and the upcoming months will be interesting.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
City have simply hit great form that yielded good results for a while but overall I think United have been more stable and that's mostly due to us having a better defense despite more injuries to that part of the team. Wouldn't surprise me if in the past 10 games or so that United have created more chances than City.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
City have simply hit great form that yielded good results for a while but overall I think United have been more stable and that's mostly due to us having a better defense despite more injuries to that part of the team. Wouldn't surprise me if in the past 10 games or so that United have created more chances than City.
They were great over the first 10 games like they usually are. Everyone starts wanking over them before they collapse and remain inconsistent as feck all season. Especially applies to David Silva/sterling, also applies to De Bruyne and Aguero though those 2 still manage to be effective, just not as good as they are at the start of seasons. The 15 games since they have 4 wins, 6 draws and 5 losses. Very much in keeping with how they were before. It's not like their performances have improved since the start of the season either if you ignore results and look at performances (like what we use to classify the poor form as a big dose of bad luck). United started with 7 wins, and 3 losses in the first 10. After the 7th game we changed formations/dropped fellaini and Rooney mainly, and started playing how we generally have been. So in the 15 games after the first 10, we are on 7 wins, 6 draws, 2 losses. Just a matter of turning the draws into wins, but our performances have all been improving with the 2 obvious exceptions being away to Chelsea which was awful, and away to Fenerbache.

It's fairly surprising, but thinking about it, I don't actually think they've been that much better then us overall. We have certainly improved a lot since our game with them earlier in the season with our change of tactics. Especially considering the criticisms we've seen at Mourinho compared to Pep... yeah.

Fracture90

Also we faced all of the top teams in the league, whilst Citeh is yet to play Arsenal and Liverpool.

Sparky10Legend

Bottom line is Peps arrogance caused the collapse in Citeh form, he underestimated "Stoke on a wet Wednesday night" syndrome.

Peps a great coach of great players but it's probably safe to say any decent coach would have won what he'd won with the tools at his disposal.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We are clearly on the way up, even though results have not been there yet. Not sure you can say the same about City

davidmichael

I think we're currently in a better position going forward than City currently are despite the league positions, if City hadn't had that brilliant start they'd be in a bit of trouble whereas we've tinkered and thrown games away but look a lot more stable.

It looks like we've finally found balance in our first choice front six with Herrera, Carrick, Pogba, Mhkitaryan, Zlatan and Martial with Schweinsteiger now back in the fold as well as Schneiderlin, Rooney, Mata and Rashford as alternatives.

Bailly is back as well as Smalling back in a couple of weeks but the biggest bonus is Phil Jones looks the fittest he's looked in three years and is playing well, Rojo is looking very good at the moment too then there's Blind who's also an option in either defence or midfield and is good in both.

We do need to buy cover in both full back roles as Valencia and Shaw need cover and Darmian is awful in both so I'd let him go in January, I'd like to see Borthwick-Jackson given a chance as Shaw's back up as he's exactly the kind of attacking full back that Mourinho loves so maybe add a right back.

Right now and over the last month I'd much rather be us than City as we look like we're coming out the other side of our indifferent form which in reality hasn't been bad form and more a case of not converting our chances which cost us wins and points on the board, in contrast City have at times been awful and tactically all over the place and look like Pep's still tinkering with formations and tactics meaning they're far from settled.

dichinero

I really don't see the reason for comparison. Loyalty and rivalry aside, they have a good 6 point on us. Let's get there first!

Ixion

It's interesting statistically but they have a 6 point lead in the League and are in the knock-out stages of the CL. They're certainly doing better.

wolvored

It's interesting statistically but they have a 6 point lead in the League and are in the knock-out stages of the CL. They're certainly doing better.
Exactly. We need to concentrate on winning our games, forget all the other teams positions, then see where we are at the end of the season.

cyberman

Exactly. We need to concentrate on winning our games, forget all the other teams positions, then see where we are at the end of the season.
I don't think the United players will be distrafted by posters on Redcafe comparing records v City to be honest

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We are clearly on the way up, even though results have not been there yet. Not sure you can say the same about City
Despite them being in the UCL and above us in the table I actually think we're in better shape lol

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I wonder how much more the likes of Silva, Zabaleta, Kompany, Kolarov, Sagna, Fernandinho and Bravo have left in then. All these guys are on the wrong side of 30. City have a lot or rebuilding to do.

By comparison United's squad is still fairly young, so I actually think United are in a better position long term.

If anything City right now remind me of Milan back in 2007, the only difference is that they will likely just spend their way out of a crashing decline.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
:lol:
Sorry, but I think Duncan's embarrassing himself with his love for José.
Perhaps...but its nice having a journo who is after Guardiola, Klopp etc. We should leave him alone

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
True enough, mate.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's interesting but considering City are through in the CL (with two wins from six) a lot of their non-wins won't matter to them too much: ultimately the key stat is league position, and we remain behind them.

Still, they've definitely hit a stumbling block (like we've been on), and like us it's becoming worryingly lengthy now: they've not found a consistent run of good form since their excellent start to the season. I'd still put them down as title contenders, whereas I think we've got too much to do, but if they don't start winning regularly again then the gap may get too big.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It's interesting but considering City are through in the CL (with two wins from six) a lot of their non-wins won't matter to them too much: ultimately the key stat is league position, and we remain behind them.

Still, they've definitely hit a stumbling block (like we've been on), and like us it's becoming worryingly lengthy now: they've not found a consistent run of good form since their excellent start to the season. I'd still put them down as title contenders, whereas I think we've got too much to do, but if they don't start winning regularly again then the gap may get too big.
Dropped points against arsenal at weekend puts us in touching distance IF we win our games. Both ours could be stumbling blocks as I expect the typical game raising from palace today and West Bromwich are on a good run of form of late.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

I think they are going to be the same as last season

Blistering start and then inconsistent. Hardly improved under pep

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think they are going to be the same as last season

Blistering start and then inconsistent. Hardly improved under pep
Possibly, but I don't think they'll be quite as bad as last season. They'll probably hit form again at some point.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Possibly, but I don't think they'll be quite as bad as last season. They'll probably hit form again at some point.
All of their signings have been shite. Unless Guardiola changes his approach for the first time in his career then I think we will finish above them.

I think we will hit some form too.

nick2004

I am still angry about the United-City 1-2. We should have won that game. The referee stole that game from us, Rooney should have won a penalty.

It is fascinating that if we had won that game, we'd have two more wins than City! It would be: 15 W 6 D 4 L for us, 13 W 6 D 6 L for them!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I asked the question in another thread as to who should be more the pissed/disappointed out of the United and City fans. City fans are definitely more miffed at the moment as we have significantly improved over last season and we are playing some good stuff. Looking good in all cup competitions and still time to make a late surge for the top places especially with the form of the teams above us. I'm very happy with things at the moment.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I am still angry about the United-City 1-2. We should have won that game. The referee stole that game from us, Rooney should have won a penalty.

It is fascinating that if we had won that game, we'd have two more wins than City! It would be: 15 W 6 D 4 L for us, 13 W 6 D 6 L for them!
Pep outsmarted Mourinho in that game. Yes, we could've been luckier with the referee's decision, but we weren't the better side