Moussa Dembele

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
When are we all going to realise that recognised WC talent and future WC talent doesn't always equal success, especially for us, sctually it rarely has even back in Sir Alex's days, Fergie rarely bought flavour of the month talent, only ever on that very special player like Rooney and Rio as an example, go back and look at our transfer windows under him, imagine this generation of everyone being a Social Media Football Scout back then ? it would of been Bedlem, why are we signing this unknown Serbian guy called Vidic ! Evra ? Are we really signing a winger from Wigan, Valencia ?
You talk like the internet did not exist then. You can just search this forum to see what people thought when we were about to sign those players.

Ranchero

There is much speculation that United have made inquiries about the Lyon (and former Celtic) striker Moussa Dembele.

The French newspaper L'Equipe report that United 'are desperate to improve their striking options this summer' and that Ole has 'stepped up his pursuit' of Dembele.

It is said United have alerted Lyon, his currently club, to our interest.

The 22-year-old cost around £20m when he made the switch to Ligue 1 from Celtic last summer and has (it is said) "impressed" scoring 20 times in all competitions. He is now priced at around £45m. So overpriced in my view.

Actually he has scored 13 in Ligue 1 in 19 appearances (ten as a substitute) and has a strike-rate of 139 minutes a goal.

He is not a regular starter, in other words. I saw quite a bit of him when he was at Celtic, and was not overly impressed. Not great off the ball, often comes over as lazy and hardly a prolific striker. What was in his favour was that he was young.

But forgive me, but I cannot get excited by being linked with him. I mean he is placed ninth in top goalscorers list for Ligue 1 topped by Mbappe who has 30 goals to his name. Little over half of Dembele's 65 shots were on target.

In other words, he his hardly ripping it up in Ligue 1 and yet we are linked to him. God help me.

I remember when Liverpool were in our position and they were seeking players of far greater calibre, like Suarez. Now this was before he became a superstar, and he was clearly going to be a great signing, because of what he was doing in Dutch football, and the fact that if you watched him, he was great off the ball, he was always going to be a success. Same with Mane. Same with Salah.

None of these players were necessarily on everyone's radar to buy, however were clever purchases.

I am sorry, but Dembele does not fall into this bracket of a cunning purchase and I do hope this quickly disappears as an option.

My concern, however, is that journalists would not normally think that United would be interested in a player of Dembele's low standing? So this smells like something that has been fed.

Let's just hope that this is not the state of the nation in terms of standard of targets for a side that looks almost certainly consigned to Europa League football. We need to win both our games and because of Chelsea's superior goal difference, they would have to drop four points out in two games to have a sniff of fourth.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is already a thread about him in the appropriate forum.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Sanchez was “clearly going to do well” because of his performances in the Dutch league, which as we all know has shown time and time again to be a league renowned for producing no flops at all in premier league history.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
“United not normally linked to players of this calibre” despite us being heavily linked with players like Assou Ekotto, David Bentley, Charles N’zogbia, Scott Parker and actually signing David Bellion.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
When Liverpool were in our position “players of greater calibre” like Mane (who most of this forum didn’t want), Salah (a premier league reject) and Van Dijk (massively mocked by most posters in this forum)

Ranchero

“United not normally linked to players of this calibre” despite us being heavily linked with players like Assou Ekotto, David Bentley, Charles N’zogbia, Scott Parker and actually signing David Bellion.
Wow that's a post from another century.

JPRouve

Scout
Bentley but not Morten Gamst Pedersen? You are a plastic, wumminator.

Ranchero

When Liverpool were in our position “players of greater calibre” like Mane (who most of this forum didn’t want), Salah (a premier league reject) and Van Dijk (massively mocked by most posters in this forum)
Not me. Even when Liverpool bought Firminho for now money, I thought b***er... another good signing. That's why they are where they are, great recruitment. Ours has been abysmal in comparison and really, you know what, it is not rocket science. Van Dijk looked a class act at Celtic, let alone Southampton. I hope we don't go for Maguire, because he looks far too slow and cumbersome. Although, is he better than we have?

I would love to see more of Tielemans, because he looks very good for Leicester and yet cannot get in a poor Monaco side. We would bring in a Tadic from Ajax (maybe) with 24 goals and 12 assists in 32 games and ruin him by the way we play.

Would also like to see us have a pop at Nicolas Pepe the 23-year-old winger from Lille. Second top goalscorer in Ligue 1 behind Mbappe, and with second highest assists in front of Mbappe and behind only Teji Savanier (another one to look at with 12 assists and six goals in 29 games for Nimes)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Not me. Even when Liverpool bought Firminho for now money, I thought b***er... another good signing. That's why they are where they are, great recruitment. Ours has been abysmal in comparison and really, you know what, it is not rocket science. Van Dijk looked a class act at Celtic, let alone Southampton. I hope we don't go for Maguire, because he looks far too slow and cumbersome. Although, is he better than we have?

I would love to see more of Tielemans, because he looks very good for Leicester and yet cannot get in a poor Monaco side. We would bring in a Tadic from Ajax (maybe) with 24 goals and 12 assists in 32 games and ruin him by the way we play.

Would also like to see us have a pop at Nicolas Pepe the 23-year-old winger from Lille. Second top goalscorer in Ligue 1 behind Mbappe, and with second highest assists in front of Mbappe and behind only Teji Savanier (another one to look at with 12 assists and six goals in 29 games for Nimes)[/QUOTE

Tadic scored once in lifetime at Soton. Pepe is on Munich’s radar and has been all season

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There is much speculation that United have made inquiries about the Lyon (and former Celtic) striker Moussa Dembele.

The French newspaper L'Equipe report that United 'are desperate to improve their striking options this summer' and that Ole has 'stepped up his pursuit' of Dembele.

It is said United have alerted Lyon, his currently club, to our interest.

The 22-year-old cost around £20m when he made the switch to Ligue 1 from Celtic last summer and has (it is said) "impressed" scoring 20 times in all competitions. He is now priced at around £45m. So overpriced in my view.

Actually he has scored 13 in Ligue 1 in 19 appearances (ten as a substitute) and has a strike-rate of 139 minutes a goal.

He is not a regular starter, in other words. I saw quite a bit of him when he was at Celtic, and was not overly impressed. Not great off the ball, often comes over as lazy and hardly a prolific striker. What was in his favour was that he was young.

But forgive me, but I cannot get excited by being linked with him. I mean he is placed ninth in top goalscorers list for Ligue 1 topped by Mbappe who has 30 goals to his name. Little over half of Dembele's 65 shots were on target.

In other words, he his hardly ripping it up in Ligue 1 and yet we are linked to him. God help me.

I remember when Liverpool were in our position and they were seeking players of far greater calibre, like Suarez. Now this was before he became a superstar, and he was clearly going to be a great signing, because of what he was doing in Dutch football, and the fact that if you watched him, he was great off the ball, he was always going to be a success. Same with Mane. Same with Salah.

None of these players were necessarily on everyone's radar to buy, however were clever purchases.

I am sorry, but Dembele does not fall into this bracket of a cunning purchase and I do hope this quickly disappears as an option.

My concern, however, is that journalists would not normally think that United would be interested in a player of Dembele's low standing? So this smells like something that has been fed.

Let's just hope that this is not the state of the nation in terms of standard of targets for a side that looks almost certainly consigned to Europa League football. We need to win both our games and because of Chelsea's superior goal difference, they would have to drop four points out in two games to have a sniff of fourth.
We’re linked with every two Bob player right now.

Ole did say that they were looking at a range of criteria. I’m not taking this seriously

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Lyon has the worst coach in all of Ligue 1.

Dembele has been good for them but there's about 5 or 6 others Lyon players I would rather sign : Mendy,Denayer,Ndombele,Aouar,Fekir,Cherki

I also don't think he'd be anything more than a benchwarmer at United

MassiveMorgan

Lyon has the worst coach in all of Ligue 1.

Dembele has been good for them but there's about 5 or 6 others Lyon players I would rather sign : Mendy,Denayer,Ndombele,Aouar,Fekir,Cherki

I also don't think he'd be anything more than a benchwarmer at United
I’d take Depay over him

BalanceUnAutreJoint

@MassiveMorgan The only reason I didn't list him is because he has already failed here.
Depay would be pretty cheap if we ever wanted to get him back as a squad option.

As JPRouve says though, Dembele has been better than Memphis this season however Memphis for the Netherlands is pretty damn good on a regular basis so I'm wondering how much of it is down to Genesio holding him back.

AJ10

Only seen him vs PSG, thought he looked really good and troubled their CB's.

Luke1995

His development can't be at an worse stage than Rashford or Martial. Worth a try.

JPRouve

Scout
@MassiveMorgan The only reason I didn't list him is because he has already failed here.
Depay would be pretty cheap if we ever wanted to get him back as a squad option.

As JPRouve says though, Dembele has been better than Memphis this season however Memphis for the Netherlands is pretty damn good on a regular basis so I'm wondering how much of it is down to Genesio holding him back.
The difference between them is that Dembélé is a useful player when he doesn't score and his overall game isn't as inconsistent as Memphis, Memphis can disappear for weeks. I don't rate Génésio but I wouldn't surprised if Memphis was simply doing a Podolski, good with his national team and underwhelming the rest of the year whoever manages him.

Giggsyking

He is so mediocre he will fit in our squad and complete the collection of mediocracy.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Hopefully a smokescreen. Otherwise, a very meh-signing.

beingshe7don

Seriously, this guy was just sold for 20m to Lyon and if we buy him for 43m, how stupid would we be? Especially, since he's one mediocre striker. We need to revert back to emulating our 2008 days when we had an interchanging front three of Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo. We don't need an out and out striker. Getting Felix to play as a False 9 and having Pepe on as the RF along with Martial and Rashford competing for the LF spot would work for us.

This is what I envision our team front three should look like. I just don't trust Rashford and Martial to feature upfront together. They've performed the best when they've both competed for the same position.

Rashford/ Martial ------------------- Pepe/ Lingard/ Greenwood
------------------------ Felix/ Mata -------------------------------

We should be targeting Pepe and Felix assuming Lukaku is sold.