Moussa Dembele

Arka_BleedingRed

An average striker IMHO. We could and should do better than him. From Fulham to Celtic to Lyon, he hasn't impressed too much(think Chelsea was also linked to him before). Good goalscorer but we should be moving away from the Lukaku template and more towards a fluid, good link up striker. Dybala could be a great option if he improves his work rate and is willing to come here.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Dybala could be a great option if he improves his work rate and is willing to come here.
I love Dybala and been wanting him to come here for a few years now but I'm done with players where we have to hope they improve their work rate - been hearing that waaaay too often the past few years. It seems players either work hard or they don't. Only world beaters can get away with not putting in a full shift at times. The last striker we had that could do that was RvP but even when he was poor going forward he seemed to still put in a lot of work on the defensive end (still wonder if he holds one of the records for most balls cleared off the line per minute of game time)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
An average striker IMHO. We could and should do better than him. From Fulham to Celtic to Lyon, he hasn't impressed too much(think Chelsea was also linked to him before). Good goalscorer but we should be moving away from the Lukaku template and more towards a fluid, good link up striker. Dybala could be a great option if he improves his work rate and is willing to come here.
Dembélé and Lukaku do not follow the same template though. Dembélé base all his game on movement and link up play.

here you have an example of it against Barcelona.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He is nothing like Lukaku.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Dembélé and Lukaku do not follow the same template though. Dembélé base all his game on movement and link up play.

here you have an example of it against Barcelona.

Doesn't work for me (in the UK)

JPRouve

Scout
Doesn't work for me (in the UK)
I was worried about that, it's a shame because on an handful of occasion you can see what he does outside of scoring. The highlight on Barcelona's website don't show it and the others are down. And in general highlights don't show the little things that are great to see for example his header against PSG was preceded by a dummy run toward the first post, it's the type of things that he does on a regular basis or against Barcelona he plays the ball with his chest to Terrier and immediately re-position himself on the left which sees him wide open. These are the small things that our attackers don't really do and the difference between him and someone like Lukaku, he also has good body control which allows him to look bigger than his actual size(similar to Suarez).

Anyway, we will have to do with the generic highlights but if you can find the first leg against Barcelona I think that it's interesting.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Key to a player like this is can we create chances for him?

If our midfield stays as is then no don’t want

But if we change to a more creative game then yes, perhaps with dybala just off him?

beergod

So what if he isn't a world beater? We need to replace players who are unable/unwilling to move off the ball with those that move.

Arka_BleedingRed

He is nothing like Lukaku.
Also @JPRouve, I did not say he is exactly like Lukaku. But, as a striker he seems nothing special whenever I have seen him. Has better movement than Lukaku, but is less clinical, and nothing special in terms of link up play. I would prefer us to get someone like Griezmann, Dybala who can transition from second striker to a solo striker role, who gives the front line fluidity and excellent link up play coupled with good technical skills and an intelligent brain to playmake or score.

Zoo

ManUtd made a first offer to @OL for Moussa Dembele approaching the 45m €. The Manchester Club expects a response from its Lyon counterpart.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He's pretty good but we already knew he was pretty good at Celtic. Naturally the club wanted to wait til he cost double the fee, I guess.

Andersons Dietician

Are we certain they aren’t just getting confused with Ndombele?

Anyway if any of this is true then I’m guessing Lukaku is off because otherwise it makes no sense whatsoever at all.

littlepeasoup

Dembele in for £40mil(ish), Lukaku out for £70mil(maybe?) and then the change used to fund the moves for some of the lower league lads? One player out, potentially three in.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I just watch the video of Dembele. He is fantastic. NEVER EVER misses.

Must get.
I know, it was just goal after goal.

Joking aside, this may not age well, but I think he'd be a "meh" type of signing. Would he function well in a high pressing fluid front 3?

Please be a smokescreen.

Sara125

Probably one for the ‘weird feelings of football’ thread but why do I feel like there are several players with the name Moussa Dembele

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I looked at the replies to a tweet about this bid and it was a few Lyon fans posting laughing emojis. Are they laughing because he's worth so much more than that or are they laughing because we're daft enough to pay it?!

Has anyone consistently seen the guy? I wouldn't have thought he'd be an upgrade on Rom.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
His scoring record in the Championship, SPL and Ligue 1 is average. Doubt he'd suddenly pull up trees in the PL.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His scoring record in the Championship, SPL and Ligue 1 is average. Doubt he'd suddenly pull up trees in the PL.
I assume he's being bought as a backup/rotation with Rashford. I guess Lukaku is off to Inter.

JPRouve

Scout
I looked at the replies to a tweet about this bid and it was a few Lyon fans posting laughing emojis. Are they laughing because he's worth so much more than that or are they laughing because we're daft enough to pay it?!

Has anyone consistently seen the guy? I wouldn't have thought he'd be an upgrade on Rom.
He has been good and they paid a solid amount for him.

Aloysius's Back 3

I assume he's being bought as a backup/rotation with Rashford. I guess Lukaku is off to Inter.
This is what I think too.

Martial, Rashford & Greenwood play football in a way that doesn't suit dembele but then we might need a striker who plays differently to those 3 being a player who plays as a traditional number 9. If he does I don't think he would look out of place as Lukaku does playing alongside the other forwards.

If he is coming to be as our starting striker I would be a tad disappointed - jus tbecause I don't want to see a traditional striker leading the line ( would rather see Greenwood & Rashford play as a partnership) but it makes sense if he is to be a squad player of importance and difference.

VanAlden

Desperate, desperate stuff from Utd if true. Even if he was good enough (he isn't) then why not just buy him last summer for less than half the price?

wolvored

Dembele in for £40mil(ish), Lukaku out for £70mil(maybe?) and then the change used to fund the moves for some of the lower league lads? One player out, potentially three in.
Read we want swap deal with Scrinnier or however you spell it. The CD plus we get money as well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is he really that good? Could he reach the level of somebody like Lacazette? Have to admit not heard much hype about him of late.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Desperate, desperate stuff from Utd if true. Even if he was good enough (he isn't) then why not just buy him last summer for less than half the price?
Because we had a different manager last season and didn't know we'd ultimately want another striker this Summer?

Because we didn't know Lukaku would be back unfit and short of confidence?

Because we didn't know Lukaku would want to leave?

Because we didn't know we were going to try and play a different way, requiring more mobility and better dribbling up top?

Because we wanted to see if Dembele could handle himself at a level that wasn't the Scottish Premier League?

Comments like that are outrageous.

Sanche7

40 million euros is like what 35 mill pounds? For that price I think he’s pretty good. Jovic would have been fantastic, especially if we can get someone like Felix or Griezmann to play in a 4-4-2 but looks like Ole is backing Rashy

Glideman

Because we had a different manager last season and didn't know we'd ultimately want another striker this Summer?

Because we didn't know Lukaku would be back unfit and short of confidence?

Because we didn't know Lukaku would want to leave?

Because we didn't know we were going to try and play a different way, requiring more mobility and better dribbling up top?

Because we wanted to see if Dembele could handle himself at a level that wasn't the Scottish Premier League?

Comments like that are outrageous.
Spot on!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's a Dembele so he must be good.

Weird thing, all dembeles tend to be good players, while traores tend to be shite

Canagel

Why not just bring back Depay if we're looking for rotations? Didn't we have buy back clause?

Mainoldo

I don’t get what football Ole is trying to play getting him.

Just replacing Lukaku with Lukaku.