Moussa Dembele

Gandalf

I think if we just want a target man as a bench option to replace Lukaku I would rather we get Rondon from West Brom for a lot less than Dembele. 10 goals in an ultra defensive Newcastle side is a pretty impressive return and he is physically a beast. If our coaches and scouts feel that Dembele is more than simply a target man and can be developed into a top forward then that is another matter, I don't see it but then I am not a pro and so I guess we have to trust they know what they are doing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is Dembele a bit more of a 360 footballer than Lukaku, can he press etc?
He is more traditional, personally in terms of style he reminds me Falcao. They are both not really big but they play as if they were and they are both mobile but are more comfortable at the edge of the box.

Zed 101

given VAR next year this guy could win us 10+ penalties a season, can you imagine him, Rashford and Martial all running at your defence, nightmare, if £40 mil is to believed it seems cheap in todays market, seems much better suited to our style of play than Lukaku

poleglass red

He's a very good footballer. I think people are getting hung up on his goals record which is good but not outstanding. He could be very effective in a system where we have a pacey attack/ counter attack. He'll get goals but there is a lot more to his game. Firminho at Liverpool isn't prolific, but so much more to his game and so vital in that attacking set up they have. He'd need to be part of an attack where we have others chipping in.

AshRK

Not seen much of him. Is he quick? Is he a more of a poacher or likes to play anywhere in attack?

Swiss_Red89

I won a Fifa Tournement with Celtic (!) against my friends a couple of years ago thanks to him. He was briliant, sign him.:D

steakpie

Can someone embed youtube QS3Y9SWvhXk , his performance vs Barcelona, as you can see from the video, he is definitely not top 6 quality.

steakpie

A video from 2016, seriously?
Why not? Against a good team, you can see how easily he loses the ball, erratic first touch etc. I watched him many times for Celtic, always said they should take the money if someone bids for him.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Everytime I watched him he looked like a worse version of Lukaku. Why would we sell Lukaku if we're replacing him with a downgraded version of the same kind of player? This does not make sense.

JPRouve

Scout
Why not? Against a good team, you can see how easily he loses the ball, erratic first touch etc. I watched him many times for Celtic, always said they should take the money if someone bids for him.
Because we are talking about a player in 2019, not the 20 years old version?

OohAahMartial

Would think Ole would have a good eye for a good striker. 108m per goal/assist is better all of ours I think. And at 22 still room for improvement. But I guess he fits the role that Ole expects from his front men, at a price that leaves plenty of budget left for other positions.

Loublaze

ATLien
Salah's video clips against good teams are not impressive, Kane's as well. I mean the guy (Salah) hasn't even scored or assisted in a game against United in his time at Liverpool! I haven't seen much of Dembele to have an opinion but your logic is flawed, based on a 3 year old video to boot!

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
The Lukaku hate has gone way too far. People think he wouldn't tear up Ligue 1 and SPL with ease? How is Dembele an upgrade on him, the best he's managed in a season is 17 league goals in the SPL for Celtic who smash everyone.

riis

Supports
Liverpool
Dembele in for £40mil(ish), Lukaku out for £70mil(maybe?) and then the change used to fund the moves for some of the lower league lads? One player out, potentially three in.
I doubt anyone who can afford to spend £70 million on one player would spend it on Lukaku to be honest. I think if you manage to swap out Lukaku for Dembele and make £10 million net between the two deals that's a decent-ish outcome.

Rocknrolla69er

Far better finisher than Lukaku, and his first touch doesnt surpass 6 yards, those saying another Lukaku stay off the drugs.

-Supreme-

He reminds me of Saha and we have lacked in this type of strikers for a long time.

Rocknrolla69er

Very similar outputs to Suarez and Jovic

Very under rated

Would like to see Dembele and Pedro as our striker options

Canagel

The Lukaku hate has gone way too far. People think he wouldn't tear up Ligue 1 and SPL with ease? How is Dembele an upgrade on him, the best he's managed in a season is 17 league goals in the SPL for Celtic who smash everyone.
Lukaku is a terrible footballer. Any striker with feet is upgrade on him.

Red_toad

Far better finisher than Lukaku, and his first touch doesnt surpass 6 yards, those saying another Lukaku stay off the drugs.
He really isn't a better finisher than Lukaku. He's better in many parts of the game, but not finishing. Silly to suggest that Lukaku is a poor finisher, he's a proven goal scorer at all levels.

Judas

Open to offers
He really isn't a better finisher than Lukaku. He's better in many parts of the game, but not finishing. Silly to suggest that Lukaku is a poor finisher, he's a proven goal scorer at all levels.
Who wastes chance after chance. Lukaku's terrible finishing has cost us time and time again.

willhse456

Didn't he play against Barcelona this year with Lyon? :lol:

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Can see this transfer coming to fruition as he's very gettable. If we do end up signing him it goes to show that it's a good thing that we're allegedly looking to buy the likes of Daniel James, Nathan Collins, Sean Longstaff now at this point in their careers. Whether or not they turn out to be huge successes is anybody's guess but if we believe our scouts are worth their salt then we should aim to be signing these players early.

I don't know a lot about this guy except for a few games during his Celtic stint but I do remember hearing a few years ago now that United's scouts were highly impressed with Moussa Dembele and I believe LVG was reportedly a huge admirer of his. If the opinion still is that he's worth the gamble then I hope we sign him. Lacazette wasn't pulling up trees during his early days in France either but he developed into a pretty decent striker. In 2014 he ended the season with 15 goals in 36 games. The next season he blew up goalscoring wise with 27 goals in 33 games. Hopefully this guy has it in him to follow a similar trajectory numbers wise.

Really though if we do make this move it just highlights how much we need a DOF to be having a say on our transfers, we've known and supposably admired him for years and yet he's moved twice now for much more reasonable fees than what we'll be paying should this transfer happen.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout

It's only one small example but the reason, I like him as a prospect is because of these subtle moves that he does all the time, here he fools Thiago Silva with a dummy run, it is cut in the previous highlights videos even though it's in my opinion the most important par of that goal.

MadMike

Who wastes chance after chance. Lukaku's terrible finishing has cost us time and time again.
Every striker will cost you chances. It comes with the territory of being in the box and trying to score goals. His finishing is undoubtedly good with both feet. He hasn't been so high in the scoring charts for years by being a shit finisher.

My biggest concern about Lukaku and the reason I would probably take the money is because I see his frame becoming more and more of an issue as he gets into his late twenties. He already struggles with fitness/stamina and when he starts struggling for pace as well he'll become an extremely immobile striker with bad touch relying solely on his in-box finishing. That's inadequate for teams that aspire to be top level.

Rocknrolla69er

Have you watched any united games this season, Lukaku’s missed tons of chances any half decent striker would of snaffled up, i cant take your post seriously at all

Suv666

Never seen him play but his YT compilation wasnt that impressive. I hope we go for a Firmino type of striker not a traditional no 9

Red_toad

Have you watched any united games this season, Lukaku’s missed tons of chances any half decent striker would of snaffled up, i cant take your post seriously at all
Yeah mate whatever, you know better. Some people just turn on our players and seriously under rate them and can't see the wood for trees. Lukaku actually has a good conversion rate, but no point debating with you...

Infra-red

People who anger quickly at Lukaku's technical skills, might find Dembele... frustrating:

Unsuccessful touches/90 minutes:
Lukaku: 2.2 (League), 1.8 (CL)
Dembele: 3 (League), 4.3 (CL)