Moussa Dembele

crossy1686

career ending
I know nothing about this lad, not even what position he plays. All I know is he's got the same last name as a player we've been linked to every year for about 6 years so I can only presume he's a holding midfielder who scores goals, is rapid and can dribble. Anywhere near close?

MadMike

Never seen him play but his YT compilation wasnt that impressive. I hope we go for a Firmino type of striker not a traditional no 9
I hope not. Firmino is surrounded by two wingers/inside forwards who banged 22 league goals each to finish top of the goal scoring charts. They scored 52 goals across all comps between them. Firminho's prime responsibility is to bring those into play.

Do you feel like we have two wingers in the club that can contribute +50 goals between them, if we bring in a false 9? Or are we going to bring a false 9 so that Rashford can send finishes into row Z?

I think I know the answer.

JoaquinJoaquin

I think if we just want a target man as a bench option to replace Lukaku I would rather we get Rondon from West Brom for a lot less than Dembele. 10 goals in an ultra defensive Newcastle side is a pretty impressive return and he is physically a beast. If our coaches and scouts feel that Dembele is more than simply a target man and can be developed into a top forward then that is another matter, I don't see it but then I am not a pro and so I guess we have to trust they know what they are doing.
I know we are bad, but not at Rondon level yet, christ :D

AJ10

Only seen him once which was vs PSG where he played really well and scored a goal. At 22 he has plenty of time to improve and has a decent number of goals so far at every club. He's at the right age to make the step up + can control a ball. This bid at least shows Rashy won't be leading, Someone at the club sees he's not ready. Whats next we're buy a RB/RW?.

Not sure why people are saying worse than lukaku etc, Doesn't look like a player whose first touch is a long pass, Points towards his feet rather than making a run, Moves away from opposition goal when team mates are running towards it, can't run with the ball, gets bullied by smaller players, can't pass. Of course he might do all those things as I've not seen enough, maybe they have?

Last edited:

Devil may care

I'd just keep Lukaku if this is the best we can do, we should be looking at Jovic, much better all round player. The idea that Dembele is being bought as a back-up because we are going to be starting Rashford as the #9 just feels like we are defeated before the season starts.

NJM78

A) can he control the ball?
B) does he do step overs like Phil Neville?
C) does he put his head down and run it out of play on a regular basis?

If answers are yes, no and no... I'm intrigued.

Kingantti1874

Supports
Hearts
This would be a mistake, watched him play for Celtic against my team many times and he’s not Man Utd standard. No where near it.. didn’t even get to 20 in SPL

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How can a pro footballer have a worse first touch than Lukaku :eek:
He doesn't, the same way Kane who also has a worse stat than Lukaku doesn't have a worse first touch.

SteveW

I believe Lukaku is a better player but I understand if Ole wants rid. Jose and his staff have to carry some blame but I still genuinely don't see how a committed player would have let himself get into the state he has over the last year or so.

So yeah, if this is what Ole wants to do I'll back it.

SteveW

I assume he will play tonight, might as well find a stream and have a look

Halal Jalal

Well, this is disappointing to say the least. Instead of looking at world class, Pogba-proven players (Griezmann, Dybala, Kante etc.) to get the most out of our best asset, we're signing this nobody from French league? Martial can't exactly be considered a success at MU and this guy is much older than Anthony at the time, with worse stats, going for half the price. Statistically worse first touch than Lukaku as well! Scandalous signing, another proof that we're showing next to no ambition in transfer market.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I assume he will play tonight, might as well find a stream and have a look
You'll tell us if he fits these criteria :D

A) can he control the ball?
B) does he do step overs like Phil Neville?
C) does he put his head down and run it out of play on a regular basis?

If answers are yes, no and no... I'm intrigued.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Well, this is disappointing to say the least. Instead of looking at world class, Pogba-proven players (Griezmann, Dybala, Kante etc.) to get the most out of our best asset, we're signing this nobody from French league? Martial can't exactly be considered a success at MU and this guy is much older than Anthony at the time, with worse stats, going for half the price. Statistically worse first touch than Lukaku as well! Scandalous signing, another proof that we're showing next to no ambition in transfer market.
Is this sarcasm? I genuinely can't tell. I really hope it is.

Lee565

Got to be fake news, he is no better than Rashford or Martial as a striker, the guy cant even score 20+ goals in weak leagues.

NoPace

Bunch of Lyon fans commenting from one of their forums:

-Physical
-Good at heading, but we never cross
-Will score 30 minimum next year
-Adapted quickly, comfortable in different formations
-What does Giroud have over him? (A place in the French team)
-Few attackers as complete as him at his age
-If he finished like Mariano (their previous 9) he'd be a monster, but otherwise they prefer him by far

And overall, he seems to have won over everyone by the end of the season by playing hard and being much smarter and involved in play than Mariano and Memphis, though earlier in the season there were doubts about his technique.

Sounds like a good fit for the Prem and a sort of compromise between a false 9 and proper target man, since his movement and effort mean a Martial-Dembele-Rashford front 3 isn't inconceivable, but he's physical and works for the team unselfishly.

beergod

It's only one small example but the reason, I like him as a prospect is because of these subtle moves that he does all the time, here he fools Thiago Silva with a dummy run, it is cut in the previous highlights videos even though it's in my opinion the most important par of that goal.
The off the ball movement was what convinced me on him. Even if he didn't improve his finishing at all, he should be able to score more goals than Lukaku because his movement can create more opportunities.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Why would it be?
Well, why wouldn't it be?

You say what we need to do to compete is sign proven players and we're "a joke" for not trying that model. In Mata, Matic, Lukaku, Pogba, Alexis, Di Maria, Falcao and Bastian we've spent the last 5 years trying to do exactly that and where has it gotten us exactly?

All we need to do is make sure we're signing the right players and not go chasing huge names for the sake of signing huge names. That's largely what's gotten us into this mess.

Halal Jalal

Well, why wouldn't it be?

You say what we need to do to compete is sign proven players and we're "a joke" for not trying that model. In Mata, Matic, Lukaku, Pogba, Alexis, Di Maria, Falcao and Bastian we've spent the last 5 years trying to do exactly that and where has it gotten us exactly?

All we need to do is make sure we're signing the right players and not go chasing huge names for the sake of signing huge names. That's largely what's gotten us into this mess.
That's why I specifically mentioned "Pogba-proven" - player who had excellent chemistry with Paul in French NT or at Juve. This random Dembele guy isn't no bargain purchase either, he'll still cost us about 50 million. Might as well double the money and go for elite players worthy of Manchester United shirt. To me it seems we're just becoming content with midtable mediocrity (Dembele, James, Longstaff... and lets be honest, OGS as well) instead of trying to get back where we belong with corresponding quality (Dybala/Griezmann, Kante, Varane, Allegri as manager).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I admit that i don't watch Ligue 1 ( i watch only highlights after each round) so i judge him only by that and youtube. And i like what i see. I would buy him. He is better( again, without watching him regulary) than Rashford.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I know nothing about this lad, not even what position he plays. All I know is he's got the same last name as a player we've been linked to every year for about 6 years so I can only presume he's a holding midfielder who scores goals, is rapid and can dribble. Anywhere near close?
Haha no
Former Celtic striker

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't get it. Technically he's not fantastic, he's not someone that will press and press and he's not that quick.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Are these stats real?

Yes but do remember the first 3 were in Scotland.
The last in Ligue 1 is impressive.

I’ve never watched him with any real scrutiny but then I never watched Larsson or Brian Laudrup rack up goals in. Scotland. I never took any notice of how good Di Canio was.

I know that SAF wanted all 3 and we never got them except a short period for HL.

Not everything in the SPL is substandard

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's strange to supposedly get rid of Lukaku for a change of style in the offense and then go and buy Dembele. I get they're not exactly the same style, but is the difference really worth the investment or is it another source of concern regarding Lukaku than just inability to adapt to a different style?

tjb

People complain too much. If you watch him, you can see his talent. Anyone comparing him to lukaku has clearly never seen him. He's fast, has a great touch and can finish. I assume the ones not impressed want us to get Aguero or Lewandowski