"Move Ole into the DOF Role"

Enigma_87

You know who
We never bid for Longstaff.
So we had other targets that we didn't know about?

Part of the DoF and manager job is to identify targets, bring in a balanced squad for the new season and have plan B, C, D till Z.

Dante

Average bang
So we had other targets that we didn't know about?

Part of the DoF and manager job is to identify targets, bring in a balanced squad for the new season and have plan B, C, D till Z.
It's well known that United managers create a list of targets for each position they want to fill. From that point on, it's down to the negotiating team.

What we know from Newcastle and the player himself is that no bid came in for Longstaff.

United obviously had other targets we don't know about. Redcafe is populated by a bunch of know-nothings with Internet connections. I wouldn't expect otherwise. Twitter isn't the word of God.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's well known that United managers create a list of targets for each position they want to fill. From that point on, it's down to the negotiating team.

What we know from Newcastle and the player himself is that no bid came in for Longstaff.
How can you be so sure that Ole did that and and for example didn't rely on players in the squad already to fill those gaps and only wanted to reinforce the defence in the Summer, unless some of his "top targets" came along?

Considering we really weren't strongly linked with plan B,C players I probably imagine it's like this and he put more faith in the squad that he should've done...

Infra-red

I know that taking punts on people with no relevant experience is pretty much company policy at United these days, but for the DoF role, maybe we should consider hiring someone qualified instead.

Just an idea.

Siorac

How many post SAF signings we thought weren't any good after 8 games? Not many. Surely if it's apparently too early to judge Ole, it's way too early to judge signings as well. This idea about our 3 signings being brilliant and best in 6 years seems premature to say the least and giving Ole the DoF job on the back of it would be even more irresponsible than the mess we created by hiring him permanently in the first place. And people say they don't want us to repeat the mistakes from the past!
Yeah, Di Maria started brilliantly, Darmian was still seen as a good signing in October 2015, Matic started his first season in great form. It's way too early to laud Solskjaer as some kind of transfer genius. Appointing him DOF based on early promise would be exactly the same as appointing him manager based on, well, some early promise.

Dante

Average bang
How can you be so sure that Ole did that and and for example didn't rely on players in the squad already to fill those gaps and only wanted to reinforce the defence in the Summer, unless some of his "top targets" came along?

Considering we really weren't strongly linked with plan B,C players I probably imagine it's like this and he put more faith in the squad that he should've done...
You're putting too much faith in Twitter rumours. The media can be trusted sometimes, but the Summer is rarely one of those times.

We should primarily judge Ole by officially released news. The process for United making transfer lists and transfer bids is widely reported and comes directly from the mouths of past and current managers.

The players we've bought have been of exactly the right profile we need. The players we've let go have been of the wrong profile and/or have publicly talked about not wanting to stay. If we want to change the culture of the club, that cull is the right move.

The fact we haven't bought stopgaps is a good thing.

We've only targetted top quality and/or top potential. We've also tried to remove as many as possible of those who lack commitment. Ole is the first manager since Fergie who's done that. Whatever his struggles in the dressing room, his backroom strategy is the right one.

Dante

Average bang
Yeah, Di Maria started brilliantly, Darmian was still seen as a good signing in October 2015, Matic started his first season in great form. It's way too early to laud Solskjaer as some kind of transfer genius. Appointing him DOF based on early promise would be exactly the same as appointing him manager based on, well, some early promise.
It's a risk. But one based on the evidence of the last 10 months of moving the culture of the playing staff in the right direction.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The worrying thing with a lot of our signings, is all manner of players have come in, very often they start well, but then something makes them drop off dramatically.

A good question, is who was the last player we signed that has improved.
Do we go as far back as De Gea for that one?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Is maguire really that good?

IMO he's just a solid CB, same as AWB and James, they're what EPL top 6 players are supposed to be. Made to be very good by our collectively low standard, but put them on the vintage United Side I think they're just another cog in the wheel

Enigma_87

You know who
You're putting too much faith in Twitter rumours. The media can be trusted sometimes, but the Summer is rarely one of those times.

We should primarily judge Ole by officially released news. The process for United making transfer lists and transfer bids is widely reported and comes directly from the mouths of past and current managers.

The players we've bought have been of exactly the right profile we need. The players we've let go have been of the wrong profile and/or have publicly talked about not wanting to stay. If we want to change the culture of the club, that cull is the right move.

The fact we haven't bought stopgaps is a good thing.

We've only targetted top quality and/or top potential. We've also tried to remove as many as possible of those who lack commitment. Ole is the first manager since Fergie who's done that. Whatever his struggles in the dressing room, his backroom strategy is the right one.
It's not just twitter rumors. We didn't bring in midfielders and striker, not even a RW which was badly needed. Officially released news is that the squad is in the worst state since Fergie.

The fact that we haven't bought stopgaps is that we're in the bottom half and for the first time since the PL era close to relegation.

Stopgaps isn't a bad thing - identifying and bringing the right types of stop gaps is the hard task and is needed for every top team in a long season.

Besides which of those targets that we acquired can you pin solely on Ole and what is exactly what he has done/changed?

Morinho wanted Maguire for a knocked down price last Summer, James is on Giggs, AWB was one of the best young RB's in the league and much like Shaw brought in for a lot of money which essentially again holds its risks.

What's the innovative thing that we're doing now really?

Siorac

Is maguire really that good?

IMO he's just a solid CB, same as AWB and James, they're what EPL top 6 players are supposed to be. Made to be very good by our collectively low standard, but put them on the vintage United Side I think they're just another cog in the wheel
No, I don't think he's that good but I'm hoping to be wrong about that; I'd prefer to see him becoming the next Rio Ferdinand.

But even if we're both right, he could still be a decent to good CB for a team with serious ambitions. We would just need to build an actual good team.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

United obviously had other targets we don't know about. Redcafe is populated by a bunch of know-nothings with Internet connections. I wouldn't expect otherwise. Twitter isn't the word of God.

We actually had another target and he was our original midfield target. Rabiot was our target but Juve came and snitch him. It was reported by Ornstein that he was our midfield target. Rabiot settled with Juve so we went to Longstaff as our backup option and it didn’t work since Newcastle wanted 50m.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Really struggling to see sense in this idea. I don't know enough a bout the DOF role but I think it is more than just signing players. In any case, his signings haven't been at United long enough to be deemed a success or a failure. Really this just reeks of people wanting OGS to remain at United in some capacity if he's sacked.

Hawks2008

Sold Lukaku to make room for 33 year old Mario Mandzukic, this kind of genius squad building definitely warrants a promotion to the DoF role :houllier:

tomaldinho1

Ex players should be judged the same way as every other candidate. Are they qualified? If the answers no, they shouldn't even be considered.

Low standards are the reason we are where we are, it's time we got a bit more savvy

ottosec

Do it! How else would he be able to keep chasing Longstaff and the like after we sack him?

Joke aside, I don't understand how people think that he is good on the transfer market?

He signed Maguire, who I like a lot and I think is a solid player, but never a player worthy of a world record defender transfer fee. It would have been impressive if he would have signed a player at a similar level with half the money.

He signed AWB, for which we also overpaid.

He signed James, a left winger that would likely end up a solid squad player at best, when we were in dire need of a RIGHT winger.

He let a proven goalscorer in Lukaku go without replacing him, because apparently he didn't fit his system. Whatever the feck his system is. His compatriot Haland moved this summer for like 10 million, and we didn't even show any interest. And I am sure that there were many other strikers available this summer that could have at least offered something.

He chased shite players like Longstaff all summer, based solely on the fact that they are British and when even an idiot like Woodward refused to pay the ridiculous asking prices, he decided to go into the season with a thin squad that crumbled after a couple of weeks.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ex players should be judged the same way as every other candidate. Are they qualified? If the answers no, they shouldn't even be considered.

Low standards are the reason we are where we are, it's time we got a bit more savvy
I have one caveat on that, ex players can and probably should be groomed by the club. If I was in a position to council the Glazers I would have pushed for the nomination of JC Blanc as COO and tried to get someone like Houllier as a DOF with the mission to develop one of our ex player in the role, it could even be Ole if he was interested. I mention someone like Houiller because it was his original job for the FFF and then he did it for Red Bull and informally for Lyon, if his health allows it he is the type of person that could create the structure and teach someone.

Fosu-Mens

Sold Lukaku to make room for 33 year old Mario Mandzukic, this kind of genius squad building definitely warrants a promotion to the DoF role :houllier:
I think that the transfer of Maguire was dependent on the sale of Lukaku. It is not like he had unlimited resources to spend this summer. That being said, given that he operated within a budget on how much to spend, the decision to spend £130m on a fullback and a centreback with a non-existent midfield is surprising.

tomaldinho1

I have one caveat on that, ex players can and probably should be groomed by the club. If I was in a position to council the Glazers I would have pushed for the nomination of JC Blanc as COO and tried to get someone like Houllier as a DOF with the mission to develop one of our ex player in the role, it could even be Ole if he was interested. I mention someone like Houiller because it was his original job for the FFF and then he did it for Red Bull and informally for Lyon, if his health allows it he is the type of person that could create the structure and teach someone.
Yes of course, that is what we should have been doing with our better players who had long spells with us as they started approaching retirement. Look Overmars/Edwin for example or Nedved, there's probably a host of examples.

Ollie Derbyshire

His own ideas seem to be young and British. thats far too basic for our DOF
If he brings Mandukic in that will buck that trend and another transfer I’ll agree with. Don’t get me wrong, he’s far from perfect but as we can’t seem to land on anyone else for the role we could do worse.

Untd55

Why do we think it is necessary to force past players into positions they know nothing about or have no experience in? They have done nothing to get the position.

Van Der Sar actually put effort into getting such a role e.g. doing a masters and likely getting some form of experience. That is a different scenario, but name another one of our players who has even tried to do something like that? I can't think of anyone.

Solskjaer would be just as bad an appointment as director of football as he has been as a manager. It would be disastrous.