"Move Ole into the DOF Role"

Eddy_JukeZ

That some on here keep talking about.

Have you lost your marbles?

So he fails as a manager, but let's give him a role that basically oversees our next manager.

Why are some so enamored with romanticism at this club?

BeltUp

Supports
United

So he fails as a manager, but let's give him a role that basically oversees our next manager.

It's partly that and partly not wanting to look bad for sacking him. I do think we should retain Ole if we replace him but maybe coach or kitman would be a better role. joking!

Ollie Derbyshire

It’s not romanticism, it’s taken Ole only his first transfer window to identify not only the right players to bring in but also ones to get one. I have no doubt he will continue to remove our long overdue average players if given the chance and bring the right ones in. You might say he’s only done what we can all see but none off our previous managers managed to this so quickly.

The issue I have is his lack of coaching ability.

Raw

It's basically because our transfer strategy last summer was a positive in that we went for players that wanted to be here and filled in big gaps in the squad. Obviously we didn't sign enough but those signings have been good for us.

But for some reason people seem to think picking transfer targets is all he'd need to do as a DoF. There's so much more, he'd basically have to manage all footballing decisions and oversee the first team, reserves, youth academy and scouting network. Why bring in someone who has never done anything even close to that in his career?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Would be a decision as bad the one as making him manager. Give him an ambassador job part time and call it a day.

Chairman Steve

At best he’d be a part of a football director committee. No chance as a sole figurehead DoF.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's the keep Ole - "Ole make a wish foundation".

We should find him a job at the club out of pity.

Raw

Plus his vision for our style of football would be what all decisions will be based on.

So far our style of football is absolute garbage so please let's not have that be our philosophy.

Ollie Derbyshire

If he stays it will be interesting to see how he continues to shape the squad. I just don’t see him being able to get them playing how he wants them too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Our current plight reminds me of Liverpool under Dalgish circa 2011. He came in as a caretaker appointment, a club legend who could bring back the feel good factor and steady the ship after some dour football. He oversaw some good results and then got the job permanently off the back of it. Signed some overpriced English talent, it all went to shit, then the fans were forced to admit it would be better if he were "moved upstairs" while they got a better manager.

If you want to put any stock into that worrying series of parallels, thankfully we're nearing the end of that process. Although it's interesting to note the similarities.

Wilt

Just let him go, it’s a football club not a charity shop.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
The same threads were around for Van Gaal. I think posters are scared to admit that we are a sacking club but we are very much that.

We've been doing a poor job with recruitment for many years. Player and staff.

lemmiwink

Our current plight reminds me of Liverpool under Dalgish circa 2011. He came in as a caretaker appointment, a club legend who could bring back the feel good factor and steady the ship after some dour football. He oversaw some good results and then got the job permanently off the back of it. Signed some overpriced English talent, it all went to shit, then the fans were forced to admit it would be better if he were "moved upstairs" while they got a better manager.

If you want to put any stock into that worrying series of parallels, thankfully we're nearing the end of that process. Although it's interesting to note the similarities.
Good observation and excellent paralell to draw. Nice one.

I agree completely, this is pure romance and we should speed the process along. I for one want to avoid relegation and Ole pretty much guarrantees us that. It is something he achieved easily before in the PL.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Transfers, coordination of the youth team, staff structure, footballing direction (youth, attacking football, commitment - this is what he wants for Utd even if he perhaps can’t deliver it as manager), passion and absolute unwavering dedication to the long term interests of the football club, has his ego under control and would work closely with the manager and rest of the staff for the interests of the club. Manager would see him as an ally rather than a threat.

I could see him working well with Poch or Naglesmann and vice versa.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
It's the keep Ole - "Ole make a wish foundation".

We should find him a job at the club out of pity.
We gave Macheda's dad a gardening job at Carrington, perhaps something similar would suit.

Caesar2290

Moving Ole into DoF because he made 3 good signings is like making him permanent manager because he won a couple of games.

And we saw how that turned out.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Marcel Bout is a ideal candidate for the DoF role IMO. He has amassed considerable scouting/coaching knowledge whilst working at club level in Holland, Bayern, Dutch NT and now at United since 2016.

Bout was actually one of the candidates for the role according to the press and I believe he's more qualified than most to be given the role due to his vast experience at the top level in various different footballing cultures.

JMack1234

Yes.

He's proven inept as manager so lets move him into an even more challenging role. This seems a sensible idea.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think he may have worked better here as a DOF rather than a manager, on the basis that a) his signings have been good and b) nearly every other aspect of his job as manager hasn't.

Which isn't the same as saying he should be our DOF. Really it's just saying he shouldn't be our manager but in a nicer way.

Greck

He can be the 10% of the transfer commitee that scours and recommends British players but making him a DoF IS ridiculous. A DoF is also a business role as well as a footballing one. He'll handle negotiations and reach out. Wanting him as a DoF does show a really poor understanding of what the role is. Ole would get rinsed in a negotiation meeting with a guy like Raiola or Mendez

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It's partly that and partly not wanting to look bad for sacking him. I do think we should retain Ole if we replace him but maybe coach or kitman would be a better role. joking!
If you sack a manager you can’t keep them around as a coach. How weird would that be?

EnelDoobacabra

It’s not romanticism, it’s taken Ole only his first transfer window to identify not only the right players to bring in but also ones to get one. I have no doubt he will continue to remove our long overdue average players if given the chance and bring the right ones in. You might say he’s only done what we can all see but none off our previous managers managed to this so quickly.

This is a rare but fair critique of Ole in my opinion. I think he has the right mix of personality and philosophies to succeed as Man Utd manager. However, I think he lacks the coaching credentials to succeed as Man Utd manager.

I think some people are keen to see him stay on from a "saving face" perspective, but a lot seem to genuinely love Ole from his time here as a player, and also for instilling the feel good factor back at the club temporarily last season. I feel like the options are keep him on and hope that he becomes more tactically apt (it's not looking good though as he is approaching the 1 year mark in the manager's chair) throughout his tenure... Or sack him and hopefully find a better manager who also has similar philosophies and ideas about the club.

Personally, I think he should be given the Jan window to bring in at least a forward (hopefully a midfielder too), since as you said - where he has genuinely excelled so far is in our recruitment. After that, I hate to say it, but I see no reason to allow him to continue driving us towards a relegation battle. A "re-build" with the resources available should not really take more than 1 year to at least appreciate the early fruits of labour.

He should not be made DoF in my opinion either. Van der Sar is the only "oldhand" that should be even getting consideration for that role, and even still I feel like this over reliance on titans from the past is a big part of what's currently going wrong in this generation of Old Trafford.

el3mel

Yeah that's just a beyond ridiculous suggestion as I said previously.

I can't believe those who are saying this. Sack a failed manager and appoint him as a DOF to rule over the next manager ? :lol::lol::lol:

Which manager that has any kind of self respect will agree to listen to a manager who was sacked from his job for leading a top club to relegation battle while his experience in football was relegation with Cardiff and managing in Norway ?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Moving Ole into DoF because he made 3 good signings is like making him permanent manager because he won a couple of games.

And we saw how that turned out.
Can we lay the three good signings idea to bed for a bit?

James fluked a few goals early on and has otherwise looked exactly like a raw pacey teenager who’s playing because no one else has managed to hit the back of the net since.

Maguire meanwhile has slowly drifted into being just another centre back for us. It fees like every replay of an opposing goal features him having the ball passing him by.

They might prove to be good signings, but the jury is has yet to even be dismissed yet.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Honestly, the reason I support Ole being DOF

• I think he has a good idea about how the club should look like and how the team should play. He simply isn't a good enough manager to implement that but at least he'll know how to assess our success.
  • His transfers have been pretty decent. If he can continue that business, we can be decent under a qualified manager
Negatives: I'm worried clubs wont respect him.

shamans

Can we lay the three good signings idea to bed for a bit?

James fluked a few goals early on and has otherwise looked exactly like a raw pacey teenager who’s playing because no one else has managed to hit the back of the net since.

Maguire meanwhile has slowly drifted into being just another centre back for us. It fees like every replay of an opposing goal features him having the ball passing him by.

They might prove to be good signings, but the jury is has yet to even be dismissed yet.
This is garbage.

el3mel

I bet this has been exactly said in the first month of LVG first season, and the first month of both Mourinho full 2 seasons.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This is garbage.
Mate, he’s been OK, but you can point out his shortcomings on a number of our goals as many as any other CB. I hope he comes good, but right now he’s out newest centre back and familiarity breeds contempt. The idea he’s been a slam dunk success shows how low the fecking standards are.

shamans

Mate, he’s been OK, but you can point out his shortcomings on a number of our goals as many as any other CB. I hope he comes good, but right now he’s out newest centre back and familiarity breeds contempt. The idea he’s been a slam dunk success shows how low the fecking standards are.
He is the one player who looks like a top class player in a group of player that look ready for relegation so it's a success I'd say.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We should be looking to utilise a transfer committee and I'd be more than happy for him to be involved in that.

A DoF needs to be experienced and respected at a high level though.

jem

If you credit him for that then you must also blame him for not bringing anyone in. I’d have Sanchez and Lusaka over what we have now.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He looks like he knows what to do but can't connect with the players. It's fair to test it out. A crazy authoritarian as the manager and a calm DOF.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Nah definitely not for Director of Football. He needs a break from managing as this job has aged him tremendously.