"Move Ole into the DOF Role"

starman

Keep seeing these threads/posts, bashing the idea (not saying it should happen) but at the sametime the same posters are as clueless as to what a DOF does and qualifications required.

How many Barcelona DOF's had experience beforehand?

Enigma_87

You know who
Keep seeing these threads/posts, bashing the idea (not saying it should happen) but at the sametime the same posters are as clueless as to what a DOF does and qualifications required.

How many managers were fired and subsequently made DoF of their clubs? Like ever, at any club?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
After more thought, I think absolutely definitely not, not for me.

el3mel

What the hell does experience has to do with this? The OP made it clear. It's ridiculous to sack a manager then appoint him in a position that will make him rule over the next manager. Which manager with any self respect will accept to hear from a Dof who has just been sacked from his job for being absolutely terrible? It's a beyond ridiculous suggestion.

starman

What the hell does experience has to do with this? The OP made it clear. It's ridiculous to sack a manager then appoint him in a position that will make him rule over the next manager. Which manager with any self respect will accept to hear from a Dof who has just been sacked from his job for being absolutely terrible? It's a beyond ridiculous suggestion.
So any respectful DOF is not allowed to tried it as a manager and not been a outstanding success?
Say Ole gets sacked, does that mean his ties with the club are completely severed? Because some internet fans are unsatisfied

el3mel

So any respectful DOF is not allowed to tried it as a manager and not been a outstanding success?
Not at the same club with the same players immediately that's I'm sure about. Which ever club has done that, sack a manager then appoint him as a Dof immediately? The first response from the next manager when he has an argument over the transfers or how the team should play with Dof Ole will be to "shut the feck up because you just managed same players and lead them to relegation fight so why do you think yourself superior to me or giving me suggestions ?".

Simply gonna be an ultra dumb decision.

It's like some just want Ole to stick around by any possible means. He failed as a manager so let's find him another job in the club so that he stays or something.

starman

Not at the same club with the same players immediately that's I'm sure about. Which ever club has done that, sack a manager then appoint him as a Dof immediately? The first response from the next manager when he has an argument over the transfers or how the team should play with Dof Ole will be to "shut the feck up because you just managed same players and lead them to relegation fight so why do you think yourself superior to me or giving me suggestions ?".

Simply gonna be an ultra dumb decision.

It's like some just want Ole to stick around by any possible means. He failed as a manager so let's find him another job in the club so that he stays or something.
And that could be the response to every Dof who has tried and failed as a manager "what do you know you failed as a manager" etc
Doesn't mean their ideas are wrong or their vision for the club.

Enigma_87

You know who
I am not clued up on Dof's but clubs do it all the time rehiring managers that they previously fired.
As you said - a DoF role is different than the one of the manager. Ole has been managing for like 10 years straight and at top level and PL he has been a monumental failure for 2 clubs already.

Clubs hire and rehire managers from time to time, but not straight away.

What message would it send to guys like Poch or Allegri if we are to get him - you are the manager, but you have to report to the guy who looked like an absolute clown with the exact same team you are managing?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
This club needs a wipeout of any extra players or ex staff.

We need a whole new everything and people to bring in fresh ideas.

el3mel

And that could be the response to every Dof who has tried and failed as a manager "what do you know you failed as a manager" etc
Doesn't mean their ideas are wrong or their vision for the club.
Again not at the same club and definitely not immediately after being sacked as a manager.

Also if you are bringing it to vision or ideas then sure I won't like the club to go with the same style of play and vision we see on the pitch under Ole week in week out but that's a different argument.

The signings he made are getting extremely overrated. There's nothing extraordinary about them to think his vision is great for a Dof. We tried to sign Maguire last summer. AWB was a well known hot talent in premier league. James was the only unexpected one. I don't even want to say we are still 2 months in season and nothing prevents any of them from flopping right on. James is good but obviously has his flaws and AWB's offensive side is under a big question mark etc.

So on which basis do we want Ole to be hired as a Dof? On which basis exactly do we want him to be in a position to rule over the next manager? Because he made 3 signings that we are still very early in the seasons to judge them 100% and 2 of them are nothing extraordinary or gems earthing?

Is the shite show we watch regularly on the pitch is the vision and style of play we want Ole to set as a standard for the next manager? Again, will any manager with self respect listen to any of his suggestions?

Does this appointment make any kind of sense to you?

starman

As you said - a DoF role is different than the one of the manager. Ole has been managing for like 10 years straight and at top level and PL he has been a monumental failure for 2 clubs already.

Clubs hire and rehire managers from time to time, but not straight away.

What message would it send to guys like Poch or Allegri if we are to get him - you are the manager, but you have to report to the guy who looked like an absolute clown with the exact same team you are managing?
Well Poch is looking a clown right now so I guess they will then be in good company!
Allegri and Ole do not have the same philosophy so it's a moot point.
The idea is, hypothetically if Ole was Dof, a manager would come in and match the same basic vision, not someone completely opposite in ideas so they are in constant conflict

Enigma_87

You know who
Well Poch is looking a clown right now so I guess they will then be in good company!
Allegri and Ole do not have the same philosophy so it's a moot point.
The idea is, hypothetically if Ole was Dof, a manager would come in and match the same basic vision, not someone completely opposite in ideas so they are in constant conflict
Can't comment on his time at Molde, but from what I've seen in PL from him - the guy is clueless and has no philosophy - so it's a moot point indeed.

Poch at least was successful at some point in his career and not in a tin pot league.

You don't give the guy who has failed at a job day after day a promotion. It's ridiculous notion.

starman

Again not at the same club and definitely not immediately after being sacked as a manager.

Also if you are bringing it to vision or ideas then sure I won't like the club to go with the same style of play and vision we see on the pitch under Ole week in week out but that's a different argument.

The signings he made are getting extremely overrated. There's nothing extraordinary about them to think his vision is great for a Dof. We tried to sign Maguire last summer. AWB was a well known hot talent in premier league. James was the only unexpected one. I don't even want to say we are still 2 months in season and nothing prevents any of them from flopping right on. James is good but obviously has his flaws and AWB's offensive side is under a big question mark etc.

So on which basis do we want Ole to be hired as a Dof? On which basis exactly do we want him to be in a position to rule over the next manager? Because he made 3 signings that we are still very early in the seasons to judge them 100% and 2 of them are nothing extraordinary or gems earthing?

Is the shite show we watch regularly on the pitch is the vision and style of play we want Ole to set as a standard for the next manager? Again, will any manager with self respect listen to any of his suggestions?

Does this appointment make any kind of sense to you?
You don't seem to be able to distinguish the vision of a project that a Dof is in charge of then to what a coach does.
Never said I want him to be Dof, but the hatred toward him based on being in charge of a crap United team complied by World
class managers is apparently going to hinder him ever having the chance of being a Dof

el3mel

You don't seem to be able to distinguish the vision of a project that a Dof is in charge of then to what a coach does.
Never said I want him to be Dof, but the hatred toward him based on being in charge of a crap United team complied by World
class managers is apparently going to hinder him ever having the chance of being a Dof
The vision Ole shown for the current United is crap so I'm not sure what's going to change about this "project" as a Dof.

Anyway no one hates him. We are just saying he's an awful coach and terrible manager, and making him Dof after that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Of course as a ex player legend everyone will still love him. We are just separating both that's all.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He should demoted to caretaker manager, if anything.

Hawks2008

This club needs a wipeout of any extra players or ex staff.

We need a whole new everything and people to bring in fresh ideas.
This times a million.

Nicky Butt has done good work with the Academy at least but I don't want us to become a 'jobs for the boys' type of club.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Honestly, the reason I support Ole being DOF

• I think he has a good idea about how the club should look like and how the team should play. He simply isn't a good enough manager to implement that but at least he'll know how to assess our success.
  • His transfers have been pretty decent. If he can continue that business, we can be decent under a qualified manager
Negatives: I'm worried clubs wont respect him.
With all due respect, anyone knows where we want to head, it's the "how to get there" that none of us know.

Skills

Snitch
Say Ole gets sacked, does that mean his ties with the club are completely severed? Because some internet fans are unsatisfied
As an employee yes. Why should the club pay a salary to dead-weight?

red4ever 79

Can someone please post on here is credentials/experience for applying for a DOF role should one become available. I am interested to see his cv which merits him getting such a role

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's like this corporate culture where you want to retain even your shit employees and just move them to some other post.

Camilo

He's utterly clueless. He should be nowhere near the club.

People talk about his signings all being successful... He let Lukaku, Herrera, Fellaini and Sanchez all leave. He's weakened the team significantly. 1/5 of the way into the season we're 12th. Get rid. DOF?!?

Josep Dowling

It’s not romanticism, it’s taken Ole only his first transfer window to identify not only the right players to bring in but also ones to get one. I have no doubt he will continue to remove our long overdue average players if given the chance and bring the right ones in. You might say he’s only done what we can all see but none off our previous managers managed to this so quickly.

The issue I have is his lack of coaching ability.
I have to counter this argument.

It was clear was needed a first team RB so AWB was a good signing.

However he signed a LW when it’s clear RW was the priority.

He also spent the biggest bulk of the transfer budget on a CB. We already had 5 CB at that point whilst we had lost two CM and knew Lukaku wanted to leave. Now granted the CB may not have been the quality we want but surely having a CM was priority at that point?

We weren’t linked with a CM all summer.

TsuWave

It’s not romanticism, it’s taken Ole only his first transfer window to identify not only the right players to bring in but also ones to get one. I have no doubt he will continue to remove our long overdue average players if given the chance and bring the right ones in. You might say he’s only done what we can all see but none off our previous managers managed to this so quickly.

The issue I have is his lack of coaching ability.
Maguire and AWB weren’t exactly hidden gems that Ole unearthed, and Giggs has been credited for tipping us to sign James.

The players Ole got rid of, are players that plenty people on this forum have long been saying should not be here, so does that mean these same redcafe posters are qualified for the DoF role?

It's basically because our transfer strategy last summer was a positive in that we went for players that wanted to be here
United is probably the only club that prioritises this as a qualifier. I’m sure it is important everywhere else too, but for whatever reason, I don’t think every successful signing at City were grilled about how much they wanted to be there and emulate the likes of Benjani or Bellamy. “Fabinho, do you know Gerrard’s date of birth? nah? And what do you know about the City of Liverpool besides the Beatles? Alright mate, this was a lovely chat, but we decided you’re not right for us, good luck in your future endeavours”

These are professional footballers, the focus should be on creating an environment in which they can thrive.

Raw

United is probably the only club that prioritises this as a qualifier. I’m sure it is important everywhere else too, but for whatever reason, I don’t think every successful signing at City were grilled about how much they wanted to be there and emulate the likes of Benjani or Bellamy. “Fabinho, do you know Gerrard’s date of birth? nah? And what do you know about the City of Liverpool besides the Beatles? Alright mate, this was a lovely chat, but we decided you’re not right for us, good luck in your future endeavours”

These are professional footballers, the focus should be on creating an environment in which they can thrive.
It's because United is the only team that's really in this situation. United want the best players, but the only thing we can offer is good wages. We don't have a top class manager like Pep or Klopp who they themselves will attract players because of their style, and we don't have the current success to tempt players to join us. We play shite football, we've been shite for years and we don't look to be competing for the top trophies for quite a while. Yet we still want to sign the likes of Sancho. Sure you could say we have history, but I doubt the majority of players even give a shit about it unless they're actual United fans.

Over the years we've signed plenty of players who only wanted to be here for the money which backfired horribly, so I'm glad we're prioritising players that genuinely want to play for us for a change. And right now those players are going to be players from the likes of Leicester, Palace and Swansea. As long as they fill a big hole in the squad and have shown they can play well, then it shouldn't matter where they come from.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I cringe when I read the type of posts the OP refered to.

It's like this corporate culture where you want to retain even your shit employees and just move them to some other post.
But this would be far worse, when corporations do that they give you a meaningless role just to keep you on the team. Here it would be close to a promotion

NoLogo

The job should only be given to someone who had proven credentials in building a great squad. You know like City did with the guy who helped Pep build the best ever Barca squad.

It could even be someone who has done it at a lower level but has a clear vision and strategy on how to build a well fitting squad and hire the coach to get them to play the football that fits the players he signed.

I don't have a clear candidate but have a look at the people building that Atlectico team over the last decade or so and see if we can't hire them, bring the chief scout right along.

But stop hoping we'll find another Sir Alex in our former players. And of course Woody needs to realize that he has to stay away from everything concerning the squad as far as possible.

Edit: actually I got an idea whom we should hire. Ragnick. He turned RB Leipzig from a 4th league team into a top 5 Bundesliga team in less than a decade.

Roboc7

It’s total nonsense to make him DOF unless it’s a role with little power (which I suspect is what Ed is looking for) then doesn’t really matter who we give it to.

Stepney73

Yeah that's just a beyond ridiculous suggestion as I said previously.

I can't believe those who are saying this. Sack a failed manager and appoint him as a DOF to rule over the next manager ? :lol::lol::lol:

Which manager that has any kind of self respect will agree to listen to a manager who was sacked from his job for leading a top club to relegation battle while his experience in football was relegation with Cardiff and managing in Norway ?

Agree with this.

If you where offered a job but your boss turned out to be your predecessor who had been removed from that role for poor performance and on top of that promoted.

Would you accept it?

How could he/she judge you on performance and future strategy?
How could he she advise the top brass you're shit and need sacking?

Nope.

Clean break needed.

GBBQ

The job should only be given to someone who had proven credentials in building a great squad. You know like City did with the guy who helped Pep build the best ever Barca squad
So your logic for not wanting United to appoint an ex player with no previous experience in a DOF role is highlighting Barcelona appointing an ex player with no previous experience in a DOF role?

Most of the successful DOFs have been ex players (Txiki, Monchi, Zorc, Overmars) with little or no experience in DOF roles prior to taking their most successful role.

DOF is not the same as management, you're not held accountable for the coaching or setting up the team. You pick players and have a set philosophy of what fits and ole has shown evidence of this.

Everyone belittles the signings he made as being the obvious choices or ones we had scouted by previous managers. If that's the case then why did Moyes, LVG and Mou have such patchy transfer windows if all great players are so obvious. Why have the players brought in in the last 7 years largely been unmotivated flops who have failed to settle.

Ole is a crap manager but when people are calling for him for DOF its not out of delusion or romanticism, its out of seeing the first positive transfer window in a long time. It was far from perfect and we should have signed at least a starting striker and midfielder but it felt like the first time we were weeding out bad influences in the dressing room and bringing in players who were committed. I like that side of what Ole is doing.

I don't care if he's not given the DOF role either, he could be paid off today and asked to leave and I would be fine with that. I just don't think you need to be a proven successful coach in order to do well in that role because it is absolutely nothing to do with coaching and everything to do with identifying players with the right temperament and profile to fit the club.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I think it comes down to Ole being a club legend and someone who wants best for the club. He’s one of us.

That’s the problem. None of us are good enough. Well, the way the club is headed, maybe picking someone at random from here couldn’t actually do any harm.

Kindalike how when Ole gets the sack in January, in our hearts we’ll all want Roy Keane to come in as caretaker and carry on where he left off in that infamous MUTV interview even though we know it’s not the right move.

ArjenIsM3

Except we don't have to sack him if he just moves to a different role within the club.

Hughie77

No, I'm heading towards Getting R, Keane as manager, that's how I'm feeling this team needs a kick up the ass.
Dof is not happening, Woodward would not be able to throw Managers under the bus.

romufc

He needs to be sacked.

Moving to DoF will be another mistake.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'll be honest I was 'up for that' as he clearly identified which players weren't good enough which is more than any of the other managers have done post Fergie and identified the right type of players to come in (again unlike his predecessors) which is essentially what most want a DOF for

HOWEVER

Ole's decision to ok the selling of those players without demanding their replacements, hoping the likes of Pogba, Martial and Rashford stay fit and have the seasons of their lives is proving right what a lot of people feared - a pipe dream

To say it's negligent on Ole's and the boards part to leave the squad the way it is in the summer is an understatement. The miss-management of players such as Lukaku is looking a right feck up now, yes long term they're not good enough but we've cut our nose off to spite our face freezing him out without an adequate replacement being brought in

So yeah, if that's the type of thing Ole thinks is ok then hells no to a DOF position

el3mel

Except we don't have to sack him if he just moves to a different role within the club.
He should not regardless. Even without the point I mentioned, his vision and style are terrible and should not be the way forward for the next manager. He should be gone.