Moyes So Far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I like you, you sound positive.

But if you think a pre season where we haven't signed anyone, have had a real nightmare with Rooney, had a pretty sh!t run of friendlies and generally released some over excited soundbites to the press is a 4/5, I'd bloody hate to see a 2/5!!
Drama Queen

The Neviller

He's been shit so far. Not one single Everton player signed yet.

Sack Moyes, sell Steve Round and that old dude.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Of course, but I'll read the MEN "Triple blow for Moyes" report with an optimistic eye tomorrow, just for you.

The White Pele

It's true that it hasn't really been an ideal pre-season but all that will be forgotten if we do well when the real stuff begins.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I just said to a mate of mine who has been doom mongering on me since we announced Moyes.

"At first I was skeptical. I thought Mourinho was the only person for a club of this size. Even if he wanted away in a few years it would still be the perfect foil for life after Sir Alex Ferguson. Someone eccentric who has proven he can take the heat and then if he struggled he'd be off anyway. Moyes is going to come under real fire here and as a likable bloke it is a bit of a run across broken glass. He'd have had shoes on if Mourinho took the job for a few years and Moyes come in afterward. Right now he's got to know where to step to avoid cutting his feet. But since then I've read pages upon pages of total bullshit from opposition fans. World Peace being declared because Sir Alex has retired and Moyes is now in charge. Fan orgies in the street and everyone climbing over each other to have a big fat go at United. Well, feck them all. I was happy to sit back and not get fired up and be happy knowing that he could grow into something very very good for the club even if he struggled at first. But right now I hope he fecking wins the league at a canter. Wins or goes near to the summit of a cup or two and finishes the season filming a six part documentary while holding the PL trophy aloft as he take a huge shit out the front of every top 6 club's stadium. Start the fecking season now."

ste_michaels

Lard arse
"My greatest challenge is not what's happenin
I'm not just jumping on the band wagon but I don't rate him, his Everton side where up and down that league, he hasn't had any European games, he's won nothing, and hasn't had the amounts of money to spend on supposed "world class" players, apart from sideshow bob he's always bought cheap, his transfers are transparent, everyone knew who he would end up going for, the likes of Ronaldo, alacantra, and cesc are just smokescreens for baines and ssbob, I know fergie rated him and he has done ok with the toffees, but I will give him the time he deserves, but I see 3rd or 4th the end of the season, Chelsea and shitty have all spent big money, spurs have progressed, but when he was in the paper the other week saying, this team finished 11 points clear last year and if we don't manage to sign anyone it will be fine, no it won't be, you have to progress just like every other team in the league is doing, I've been a supporter of for 31 yrs, I love this club, but I'm dreading this season..

Let the attacks begin..

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm not just jumping on the band wagon but I don't rate him, his Everton side where up and down that league, he hasn't had any European games, he's won nothing, and hasn't had the amounts of money to spend on supposed "world class" players, apart from sideshow bob he's always bought cheap, his transfers are transparent, everyone knew who he would end up going for, the likes of Ronaldo, alacantra, and cesc are just smokescreens for baines and ssbob, I know fergie rated him and he has done ok with the toffees, but I will give him the time he deserves, but I see 3rd or 4th the end of the season, Chelsea and shitty have all spent big money, spurs have progressed, but when he was in the paper the other week saying, this team finished 11 points clear last year and if we don't manage to sign anyone it will be fine, no it won't be, you have to progress just like every other team in the league is doing, I've been a supporter of for 31 yrs, I love this club, but I'm dreading this season..

Let the attacks begin..

1. Since 06-07 our worst position has been 8th and our best has been 5th. Hardly up and down, he has brought us a lot of stability.
2. He has had games in what is now the Europa League and also the CL qualifiers.
3. He has a few big signings but he hasn't been able to spend it. Do you really believe that everyone at the club would just lie about not having money? We haven't had a lot which is why we have been needing to sell a player almost every season so we can keep buying more to re-invest.
4. Nobody honestly on this forum has a clue about what the transfers are. He knows who is best for the club, and he also has suceeded with a lot of the transfers we bought. Fellaini, success. Baines, success. Lescott, sold for a shit load. Jagielka, success. Arteta, success. Coleman who was bought for around 250k is becoming one of the best RB's in the league. The man isn't an idiot, which is why Fergie rated him.

Calm your tits till January.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Moysey's job, it seems to me, is to haul in trophies. Not to appease transfer muppets, not to impress the media and not even to impress the players. His job is limited, or at least is nothing other than, leading a squad of professional footballers to win championships.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Insightful.
Apparently, it needed to be stated. Some here wish to view his job as appeasing muppets who demand a summer transfer, as though that's somehow a relevant criterion by which he must be judged.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Ruud10 can take a basic one line post and make it sound like a PHD dissertation.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Anyone reckon it's Moyes' job to look like Groundskeeper Willie?

He's actually just a smokescreen, you see. Tony Pulis will be unveiled as our actual manager in a few days.

Rednails

David Moyes is not Manchester United's Midas: everything he touches is turning to straw

No star signing, Rooney unsettled, and a novice chief executive. No pressure then, writes Jim White

Under pressure: David Moyes has bought no star players and is likely to see one of his best leave Manchester United Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Jim White
6:11AM BST 09 Aug 2013

25 Comments

David Moyes said this week that he was looking forward to the new season beginning. “It can’t come soon enough,” he suggested, as he addressed journalists after Manchester United’s lacklustre performance in Sweden on Wednesday night.
And you can understand why he is anxious for the summer’s phoney war to end: anything would be more uplifting than the pre-season he has just experienced.
He is anxious for the summer’s phoney war to end: anything would be more uplifting than the pre-season he has just experienced
Since he was appointed Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor in May, almost nothing has gone Moyes’ way. Like an inverse Midas, everything he has touched has turned to straw. He lost to the equivalent of a pub team in the Far East, his most renowned player, Wayne Rooney, is keen to play elsewhere and he has singularly failed to strengthen his squad in the areas it most urgently needs upgrading.

A symptom of his summer of discontent was evident yesterday when he learnt that his lengthy pursuit of Cesc Fabregas had come to nought. Moreover the Barcelona midfielder indicated there was never the remotest chance he might return to the Premier League in Manchester United colours: Moyes had apparently spent the last month chasing the unattainable.

“I am happy at Barcelona. My dream is to play and triumph here and I have never considered leaving,” the player told a press conference in Kuala Lumpur where the Catalans are on tour. Which, while accepting that the truth is the first casualty of the transfer window, sounds pretty unequivocal.

No wonder, with the soap opera plotting of Wayne Rooney’s future filling the back pages, Moyes admitted he was finding the scale of his new job taxing.
“The transition from Everton to Manchester United has been difficult at times as I have had hard decisions to make,” he said. “Everton are a great club and I was proud to manage them. I can’t deny Manchester United are on another level. Let’s be honest, it would be a step up from just about any other club in the world. The level of interest from the fans and press is phenomenal.”

And in truth Moyes has not been assisted by the fact he is not the only new arrival in the United hierarchy. A manager without experience in the top end of the football market, he needed all the help he could get to negotiate his first few weeks in charge.
Instead, whereas Ferguson could rely on advice and practical support from David Gill, a man with a decade’s worth of experience running a club of United’s scale, Moyes can only turn to the new chief executive Edward Woodward. A man with considerable prowess in marketing, Woodward is, however, someone who has never before engaged in the arcane processes of the football transfer market, a business requiring the bluffing skills of the poker player combined with the forked tongue of the serial conman.

While he did not always get his man (the fat Ronaldo was just one of the players he failed to secure), at least Gill could pick up the phone to any agent or football club chief executive in the world and immediately start discussions. This summer Woodward was obliged to begin every conversation with an introduction. He has admitted to his colleague he is starting from scratch.

In a sense the pursuit of Fabregas was one which demonstrated how steep is the pair’s learning curve. Those with more experience would have realised before they began it was a non-starter. Sure, on paper, the former Arsenal captain looked an ideal piece of recruitment, providing precisely the kind of drive and purpose from the centre of midfield the current United squad lacks.

But the truth was, whatever the financial and trophy-gathering possibilities on offer, he was never likely to come to Old Trafford. His sole ambition throughout his career has been to play for his hometown club and, while he may not currently be Barcelona’s first choice, he is now at the head of the queue to replace the ageing Xavi and Iniesta. He was never going to abandon his dream just as it was about to be fulfilled.

Without the marquee signing that would have issued such a signal of intent, Moyes has been obliged instead to fall back on the world he knows best: Everton. A two-for-one raid on Goodison has been launched, hoping to bring Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini to Manchester. But even here, the purchase of players with whom he has such a sound working relationship is not proving straight forward.

His replacement on Merseyside is a stubborn negotiator. Roberto Martinez has publicly insisted neither player will leave. And already the satirists of Twitter wonder if Woodward has the wherewithal to fulfil Moyes’s intentions. The humorist behind a fake Ed Woodward account beautifully subverted the chief executive’s powers of persuasion with this tweet yesterday: “@fellainiM text me back, mate. Please.”

So it is that Moyes comes to the end of his competitive break with his squad so stretched he required the services of Bebe – a player assumed long ago to be considered surplus to requirements – to bolster his midfield in Sweden, with his most elevated talent determined to leave and with absolutely no sign of any plausible new recruits on the horizon.
A gifted, determined and immensely level-headed manager he may be, but Moyes could barely have been dealt a less convincing opening hand. He is right: from here things can only get better.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...verything-he-touches-is-turning-to-straw.html

Edited to include link.

Godfather

Jesus the press is giving him a hard time already. Although White might be right on a few points the way this column is written and presented is full of shit.

Drifter

American
Moyes as done nothing yet where it really matters,let's give him at least to the end of the season to make judgments.

Edgio

his transfers are transparent, everyone knew who he would end up going for, the likes of Ronaldo, alacantra, and cesc are just smokescreens for baines and ssbob
Do people actually believe this "smokescreen" shit? As if one of the biggest football clubs in the world would waste so much time, effort and money going after unattainable targets just to prove a point. The very notion of it is unbelievably retarded.

All this "smokescreen" and "marquee signing" is driving me mad.

TheReligion

Abusive
I will tell you what as a club we have some total gimps following us these days. Alot of you sound like our rival fans, harping on that United can't attract the big names under Moyes and the club is using smokescreens to sign shit players (which alot of the time aren't shit players they are just not exotic enough names for you all)

Get a grip or feck off to the Council House and support that lot. They have plenty of spare seats. You might just end up going to your first game.

Edgio

I will tell you what as a club we have some total gimps following us these days. Alot of you sound like our rival fans, harping on that United can't attract the big names under Moyes and the club is using smokescreens to sign shit players (which alot of the time aren't shit players they are just not exotic enough names for you all)

Get a grip or feck off to the Council House and support that lot. They have plenty of spare seats. You might just end up going to your first game.
Exactly. Thing is, it's fecking rife. Smokescreen this, marquee signing that, Osman and Hibbert LOL! Moyes might be no Ferguson yet, but he hasn't had chance to prove anything here as of yet. In any case, I'm sure he's a lot more qualified than hack journalists, spastic bloggers and general internet forum morons to know what's best for any football club, regardless of it's size.

These people need to pull their heads out of their collective ringpieces, understand that Football Manager is not real life and stop believing every little piece of shite they read on Twitter.

TheReligion

Abusive
Exactly. Thing is, it's fecking rife. Smokescreen this, marquee signing that, Osman and Hibbert LOL! Moyes might be no Ferguson yet, but he hasn't had chance to prove anything here as of yet. In any case, I'm sure he's a lot more qualified than hack journalists, spastic bloggers and general internet forum morons to know what's best for any football club, regardless of it's size.

These people need to pull their heads out of their collective ringpieces, understand that Football Manager is not real life and stop believing every little piece of shite they read on Twitter.

Well said, I like the cut of your jib

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't mind people criticising Moyes if it's fair criticism, for something he's actually in control of. What has he done wrong exactly? Nothing, unless we're upset at losing some pre-season games. He inherited the Rooney situation, nothing he could do about that. It's not his job to actually sign the players and even if it was the transfer window isn't closed yet. If we're gonna judge him on the players we sign at least wait until we know who they are!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If this shitstorm is bad now; can you imagine when the CL starts and if we stumble our way through the qualifying round...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Let the attacks begin..
Way things are going I don't particularly expect big things for this season either, especially if no signings of note are brought in... that said, your criticism of Moyes is OTT and unnecessary. I think this summer is more to do with Fergie leaving unresolved issues and not properly planning for transfer targets during the season and in addition to this, if it is true that he only informed Moyes just before retirement... then again that left barely any time for Moyes to get his head round what players we need to sign etc.

Anyone that assumes we have a right to do well next year and that Moyes is a failure if he fails to win anything is a spoilt brat imo. I think next year is all about staying stable and using the year to plan ahead with regards to transfer targets post world cup and making it a team that is more Moyes than Ferguson - would not be surprised if we won nothing, would be delighted if we do but not disappointed if we don't. The way fans are going on it is as if this summer is the be all and end all of United and we're going to end up becoming Arsenal. Lets be patient and spend money only if Moyes feels it is necessary, he obviously wants to get off to a good start and win the fans trust immediately.. without any signings and with the squad as it is, I think its a tad optimistic. Top 3, CL group qualification, couple of good cup runs would constitute a decent debut season for me taking into account that he hasn't been able to bring anyone of note in and the drama he's had to contend with I.e. the Rooney saga.

psychdelicblues

Oliver Kay in the Times.

He was in awe of the place. I mean, it was massive. He would come up in training and say to us: ‘Big place, this, isn’t it? Big club, this.’ ”

Norman Whiteside’s recollections of Alex Ferguson’s early days at Manchester United — no knighthood back then, of course — came to mind this week upon reading David Moyes’s awestruck observations about his new existence at Old Trafford.

Ferguson himself has admitted to being daunted in those early days and how it took him “three or four years to understand fully the politics and requirements, the demands and the pressures” of managing such an enormous club.

That was the late 1980s, when even the biggest clubs still had small payrolls, narrow horizons and parochial outlooks.

Some might argue — perhaps even, at Goodison Park, with a sense of pride — that this is still the case at Everton, Moyes’s former club. United, though, are a different beast, a vast, corporate monster that had somehow been controlled in the Premier League by the extraordinary influence of one man.

Or perhaps that should be two men, since Ferguson’s was not the only high-profile departure this summer. There were no newspaper supplements dedicated to David Gill and few serious questions asked about the task facing Ed Woodward, who was promoted to replace him as chief executive. Ask key figures at rival clubs, though, and they talk of how the Gill-Ferguson axis was such a source of strength. It seems a statement of obvious, rather than a slur on the new men to suggest that the dismantling of that pivot leaves United weaker, at least in the short term, as Woodward and Moyes adjust to the responsibilities of their new roles.

The problem is that in football, at least in modern football, there is a preoccupation with the short term.

People do not wonder how good a United manager Moyes will be in four years’ time; they want to cast judgement in May, if indeed they are willing to wait beyond United’s testing first set of Barclays Premier League fixtures — Swansea City away, Chelsea at home, Liverpool away, Crystal Palace at home, Manchester City away — before deciding whether it was an absurd oversight or a stroke of genius to appoint the former Everton manager in preference to, say, José Mourinho.

This, regrettably, is the mindset of modern football, not just in the media, but on the terraces, in dressing rooms and, far more often than not, in boardrooms. United’s willingness to buck the trend in investing such long-term commitment in Moyes, giving him a six-year contract, is to be applauded, but they cannot simply assume that, with one Glaswegian manager following another, the glory years will continue without so much as a hiccup.

United won the Barclays Premier League title by 11 points last season. It was an excellent feat, a fitting end to Ferguson’s tenure, but it gives a false picture of the immediate challenges facing Moyes.

City were undermined by the corrosive tensions between Roberto Mancini and his players, but there is talk — convincing talk — of a new-found sense of unity and purpose under Manuel Pellegrini. Chelsea, reinvigorated by Mourinho’s return, look equipped for a first serious title challenge since their 2010 triumph.

Even had Ferguson stayed in charge, there seems no way that this season would have been as straightforward for United as they managed to make the previous campaign appear. Even without facing a no-win situation over the disenchanted Wayne Rooney, Moyes would be seeking succour in the transfer market.

United’s success over the past three seasons — champions in 2011 and 2013, runners-up to City by the smallest of margins in 2012 — always seemed more of a reflection of Ferguson’s powers than those of his squad. Weaknesses have been harder to conceal in the Champions League, where their midfield has often lacked the durability to stay in control of matches when the balance has threatened to shift away from them.

It is clear from the unsuccessful pursuit of Cesc Fàbregas and Thiago Alcântara that Moyes feels that United lack a certain type of midfielder, with a dynamism and ingenuity that goes beyond what Anderson or Tom Cleverley can offer. His interest in Marouane Fellaini reflects a belief that they lack aggression and a physical presence in that area. That double diagnosis seems right. The question — and it is one that it will fall primarily to Woodward to answer — is whether they end up with two new midfielders or one or none.

There was always a feeling with Fàbregas, never mind the dreamy flirtation with Cristiano Ronaldo, that United were being led down the garden path, that they were a fallback option in case the player did not get the guarantees he was craving in Spain.

Woodward and Moyes must move on to other targets, and if that means lowering their sights, they should consider that the bar, in terms of players who would improve United’s midfield, is set some way below world-class level.

Some feel that potential recruits are being put off by United now being managed by Moyes, rather than Ferguson. Nonsense. Real Madrid’s new wave of Galácticos in 2009 — Ronaldo, Kaká, Xabi Alonso, Karim Benzema — signed not because of who would be coaching them (Pellegrini, as it happens) but because the move satisfied their ambitions and brought great financial benefit.

With few exceptions, such as Thiago’s wish to play for Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich, the identity of the coach barely registers in such considerations.

In recent years, the only established top-class talent United have bought has been from within English football (Dimitar Berbatov, Robin van Persie and, stretching the parameters slightly, Owen Hargreaves). Proven top talents such as Franck Ribéry, Benzema and Alexis Sánchez have eluded them, as did Ronaldinho a decade ago and countless ambitious top targets, including Alan Shearer and Marcelo Salas, through the 1990s.

Indeed, it is precisely because United have not signed a top-class midfielder in recent years that the need for reinforcements is so pressing.

They made light of such shortcomings last season — even if at times it felt like Michael Carrick was carrying the entire midfield — but they cannot expect the title race to be a procession in their honour this time.

With City and Chelsea getting their act together — Arsenal insist they belong in this conversation too — the challenge to United would have been stronger whether it was Ferguson, Moyes, Mourinho or Guardiola in the Old Trafford dugout. With Moyes, though, there will be the ready-made accusations that United are “too big” for him, that he cannot handle superstars. Yet the feeling persists that, with a superstar or two in midfield, or just a couple of plain old stars, he would be far more comfortable with the challenge ahead.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/columnists/kay/article3838899.ece

Status
Not open for further replies.