Moyes So Far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I don't know, he seems pretty convinced we played well:

"We're underway with what we're doing, and we'll try and make sure that we get the right things in place for the start of next season and give ourselves a better chance of competing nearer the top end of the league."

So next season we're not commited to winning back our title, we're not commited to Champions League qualification as a minimum. We're not even commited to competing near the top end of the league, just that we'll try to be ready for it.

Doesn't exactly fill you with much confidence for next year, does it?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What if it's more than 5-6 who are unhappy? What if some are happy with the management style or training, that doesn't change next season.
Then he needs to go. We can't replace the whole squad. But "losing the dressing room" is a relative term. If there are some old timers, some influential dressing room figures, who are the root of the problem, getting rid of these could change the atmosphere completely.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
What if it's more than 5-6 who are unhappy? What if some are happy with the management style or training, that doesn't change next season.
I think a scenario in which 18-20 players are perfectly content with Moyes but their faith/confidence somehow is undermined by 5-6 grumblers is unlikely. These guys are pros and they know a good coach when they see it and a bad coach when they see it. Maybe some of the more senior players are more confident in voicing their discontent-but that doesn't mean others don't feel the same way.

There's an old adage in sports-it's easier to replace one manager than 25 players. Not sure why United is any different.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think a scenario in which 18-20 players are perfectly content with Moyes but their faith/confidence somehow is undermined by 5-6 grumblers is unlikely. These guys are pros and they know a good coach when they see it and a bad coach when they see it. Maybe some of the more senior players are more confident in voicing their discontent-but that doesn't mean others don't feel the same way.

There's an old adage in sports-it's easier to replace one manager than 25 players. Not sure why United is any different.
This! When players like Welbeck are unhappy then it becomes pretty telling.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
There's not open warfare at United so, if he feels he needs to sign more 'loyalists' (ie players who owe their chance at United to DM), then we have an obvious problem which can only be solved, sensibly, one way; and not by changing nearly the entire squad.

Litch

The manager had enough influence last year to publicly appoint his own successor, that's about as big as it gets in managerial terms. He has a statue and a stand in his name. I think he has lots of influence still in the club.
Have we not seen SAF over the years continue with players or tactics that forums thought were wrong. How many players were given time. History tells us this isn't the type of man that's going to throw his support of DM after one season. Also I sure given he had time to put things right, he's at least going to allow the person he hand picked the same. I'm not sure the Glazers will go against SAF after one season either....

LonelyFire

I agree that the owners have ultimate authority. But-you don't think Fergie and Charlton have any input into footballing decisions? And yes-if either one still backs Moyes then that advice should be ignored.
I think what influence they did have has been eroded with the Moyes appointment.

They entrusted those two to get this right and they've got it badly wrong. They'll keep this close to themselves now and perform a proper recruitment process.

Before anyone thinks its too close to the summer to reverse plans, it's not inconceivable the club have already spoken to other candidates and enquired as to what they would need.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
we've had many players over the years that everyone was insistent were sh!t. Fletcher, Carrick, De Gea, Park, even an early day Ronaldo.

They all came good.

and erm....something about Moyes coming good...

Kakeru

Says it all, really. Whether it is football or any other team sport, the saying still lives strong and it's often better that way.

Lance Uppercut

The board had apparently settled on Eriksson when SAF first announced his retirement. Eeek.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The idea I find quite chucklesome is that the board are just waiting for 5pm May 11th to suddenly sack Moyes.

Ah that's a full season with him, no one can claim we didn't give him a chance now.

stevoc

I can only go of what history has already told me. There are people of influence at the club and SAF remains one of them. The new manager are going to need the support of theses people cause they will have some (not all) influence in the decision to appoint. The Glazers are not going to go out on a limb without the support of the board, and the last time I looked SAF and Sir Bobby were one of the two most high profiled members on it.

Its funny cause thats exactly what people do when their man is fired, they resign too. Not saying that wouldn't be a bad thing anyway.
This is a common misconception SAF & SBC are directors but their roles are in effect honourary they are not on the board, many people think this buts its not the case.

This is the members of the board:

http://ir.manutd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=133303&p=irol-govboard

As you can see 12 people sit on the board 6 of whom are Glazers, so if the glazers want to make a change they don't even have to involve the two Knights in any decision.

And in any case i seriously doubt at this stage either SAF or SBC would have any serious objections to the removal of Moyes, they will want to distance themselves from the whole thing in my opinion.

If Moyes is sacked the new manager will have the support of Ferguson and Charlton without question, Manchester United is the life of both these men not david moyes

Litch

This is a common misconception SAF & SBC are directors but their roles are in effect honourary they are not on the board, many people think this buts its not the case.

This is the members of the board:

http://ir.manutd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=133303&p=irol-govboard

As you can see 12 people sit on the board 6 of whom are Glazers, so if the glazers want to make a change they don't even have to involve the two Knights in any decision.

And in any case i seriously doubt at this stage either SAF or SBC would have any serious objections to the removal of Moyes, they will want to distance themselves from the whole thing in my opinion.

If Moyes is sacked the new manager will have the support of Ferguson and Charlton without question, Manchester United is the life of both these men not david moyes
Are we talking about the same head-strong manager? SAF still had Anderson there cause he thought he'd come good. Its not his way, and he'll continue to support DM for a lot longer yet.....

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Him spouting on about 'next season' reminds me of Dorothy's 'there's no place like home'. If he taps his shoes and rubs Round's head he'll still be here in August.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
EDIT - Not real, folks. He isn't really leaving.

Breaking News. We go live to Old Trafford, where David Moyes is set to announce that he is resigning as manager of Manchester United. It appears that they've set up a stage with some performance lights and smoke machines. Wait... does anyone else hear music...?

Dun-dun-dun-duhduh-dun...

Yo, MUFC, Let's kick it!

Nice, nice Davy.
Nice, nice Davy.

All right stop, capitulate, no vision,
Moysie here on a terrorist mission.
Just when you think we start to play brightly,
I'll change the line up, next time play shitely.
Would it ever stop? Yo - I don't know,
It's not Sir Alex would tell me to go!
To the extreme, I make us cross like Dracula,
Went from fun to boring like I flipped it with a spatula.

Ashley, down the wing and then BOOM!
Don't look up as you smash the ball across the room.
Deadly, with Juan or Shinji in the centre,
But I think that Rooney can do better.
Love me or hate me, you better calm down,
Because I'm here until we turn it around.
If there is a problem, yo I'll solve it,
With tactics so static you'll think the team is on Prozac.

Nice, nice Davy.
Nice, nice Davy.

Now that Fellaini is jumping,
With his elbow sticking out, Zabaleta's face hurting.
Against Ribery, cannot pass? Don't matter,
Just run the ball out, piss ourselves with laughter.
Lack of pace? Need someone quick and nimble.
The solution's Cleverley? Yeah man, it's that simple.
As he's warming up, to my words he listens;
'I want you to run around like a headless chicken'.

Take heed, cause I'm a tactical genius,
Your faith as a fan was my only weakness.
I hoped to surprise all you haters next season.
And get Osman on deadline day at a premium.
But, this morning the Glazers called me into a meeting,
They told me exactly how they were feeling.
My tactics, like T-Rex, are prehistoric,
So Klopp's coming in, and he's gonna evolve it.

Yo man, I'm out of here. Word to your mother!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Sorry. I started it in the newbies and felt this strong urge to finish it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Breaking News. We go live to Old Trafford, where David Moyes is set to announce that he is resigning as manager of Manchester United. It appears that they've set up a stage with some performance lights and smoke machines. Wait... does anyone else hear music...?

Yo, MUFC, Let's kick it!

Nice, nice Davy.
Nice, nice Davy.

Nice, nice Davy.
Nice, nice Davy.

Wait, what?

Drifter

American
"Moyes Finally Sacked!"[/QUOTE]
EDIT - Not real, folks. He isn't really leaving.

Yo, MUFC, Let's kick it!

Nice, nice Davy.
Nice, nice Davy.

Nice, nice Davy.
Nice, nice Davy.

Erm ok

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
"We're underway with what we're doing, and we'll try and make sure that we get the right things in place for the start of next season and give ourselves a better chance of competing nearer the top end of the league."

So next season we're not commited to winning back our title, we're not commited to Champions League qualification as a minimum. We're not even commited to competing near the top end of the league, just that we'll try to be ready for it.

Doesn't exactly fill you with much confidence for next year, does it?
Not even surprising anymore! That's what he used to say when he was at Everton!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Not even surprising anymore! That's what he used to say when he was at Everton!
I'm certain that he keeps forgetting that he's the United manager. That's why he still slips up and refers to the club as "they" sometimes.

Julian Denny

Actually, no....only if the owners choose to listen which given performance and subsequent impact on the brand is unlikely. This has become a business decision and it will only be made by the glazers.
I agree. Neither Fergie nor Charlton nor Gill are on the board of the listed entity. Fergie's much vaunted influence must be diminishing anyway. He's taking up a post at Harvard and will become even less concerned with matters United. No, this is down to the Glazers and its up to them to make a business decision. Who they will turn to for advice, besides Woodward, is another matter. Clearly they have to do something - or at least they should be doing something!

dev1l

Eriksson was a top manager at the time. He also did more with England than most have.
Even O Neill was once a good manager. Thing is people's fortunes change with time. Fergie was a one-off, there aren't many managers who survived so long, winning cups at times with a limited budget.
Up to not so long ago, Capello was regarded as one of the top in business, then he got the England job and the rest is history. (although to be fair international football can be quite a different "animal" in the sense that the choices available to the manager can be limited). Same can be said of AVB who was highly rated before joining Chelsea as was World Champion Scolari.

Lance Uppercut

I wouldn't mind David Gill doing the choosing. His criteria for Fergie's successor consisted of having a proven track record of success both domestically and in Europe. He spoke publicly about it.

Then Fergie and Bobby completely ignored him and appointed Moyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.