Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
We don't want to go the sentimental route of employing old greats as managers...look what it did for Liverpool. Making them number 2 is OK but not manager - we need someone proven, a fecking winner

Like Martin O'Neill

Reflectorboy

Future friend of the first team
i have doubts that martin and carlos will really suit us IMHO,IMHO we need a continental manager who likes to work with youngsters,have top class experience and a good motivator.
we should try and lure mourinho after SAf retires

The Marksman

Come on people get sensible. Bruce, Robson and Hughes are simply not ready to manage United.

We are not going to be able to lure Mourinho. Not in the next few years anyway. Or unless Abromovich pulls out. We cant offer higher wages, more spending power or even a better squad.

Reflectorboy

Future friend of the first team
The Marksman said:
Come on people get sensible. Bruce, Robson and Hughes are simply not ready to manage United.

We are not going to be able to lure Mourinho. Not in the next few years anyway. Or unless Abromovich pulls out. We cant offer higher wages, more spending power or even a better squad.
we should try and offer mourinho the money that will make him the best paid manager in the world,he is worth it,worth every penny

pbrown

The Marksman said:

I seem to recall the same protests when SAF was hired and the rest is history...

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
The next boss after Fergie must be experienced in the Europe and have some relevant resultes behind him. And he has to know what does it mean to be in a charge in the big club. So not a big choice. Capello, Lippi, Queiroz maybe, Hitzfeld, Scolari, Ancelotti...

The Marksman

pbrown said:
I seem to recall the same protests when SAF was hired and the rest is history...
A bit different mate! SAF had already win trophies with Aberdeen. With the best will in the world youd have to rate Robbo as 'improving' , Bruce as 'steady' and Hughes as 'promising'. None of them have enough experience yet. None of them have won anything yet.

Still thinking of a name

What has O'Neil really done thats better then Moyes?

Won some successive Scottish trophies? Well, he didnt sign Larsson did he? If not (and I think not) then he just happened to walk into the 1 scottish team with a world class player - And simply because of that - His job wasnt really hard, was it?

At Leicester O'Neil done pretty much what Moyes is doing now with Everton (Didnt get a champs league place did he?) so there is little to choose between them when it comes down to it really.

I agree however that these should be the 2 targets, however.

BeardedGenius

Clean Shaven and Foolish
I think a lot of people will be surprised at how well Everton cope in the Champions League next season...

skeeta

Yet another rambling idiot
This is a league where a hack like Terry Venables can still hold a job in some club no matter how bad he does. And Bobby Robson is considered a sage. Don't look for much change at the coaching level

Is the board planning on using the "allure of Manchester United Football Club" to continue to bring in the best talent in Britain and parts of Europe where we are already well known and respected, but while also planning on using/promoting Queiroz's past ties with Real Madrid and his specific nationality in order to bring in more Spanish/Portugese/Brazilian/Argentinian players and raise our profiles in those countries as well....

I think part of the reason Queiroz is at the club now is to help players like Heinze, Ronaldo, and Kleberson adapt to the English game and culture. He could be in prime position to meld the both of British grit and spirit with a La Liga/Brazilian flair....

What queiroz used to be good at IMO was long term planning/organization and scouting/development of youth players. He's a football "intellectual" with a good attitude... cold and pragmatic... but honestly, I can't imagine him being in charge of Man Utd and being able to deal with the pressure in the locker room or in the media, if results start to go wrong.

I just worry that he might not have the ability to express leadership and authority in the locker room

skeeta

Remember 2002-2003. That was Queiroz, as much as SAF, if you believe the rumors. In 2001-2002, the team was easily the most talented in the EPL. And it failed to bring home the title, conceding it to what SAF (and most United fans) still believe was a distinctly inferior Arsenal squad. Arsenal actually seemed like a better team in 2002-2003 before peaking in 2003-2004...but failed to win the title. In my mind, it's because of tactical improvement (and Rio, of course).

Queiroz is a good coach. He's a good starting point. I'm of the opinion that whoever takes over after SAF is taking a poisoned chalice. Heavy is the head that wears the crown, and all that. But Queroz has several real advantages: (1) he's not going to be compared to SAF as much as another British manager would and (2) nobody expects him to be a carbon copy. You bring in someone like O'leary, and everyone's instantly expecting him to be the "new SAF." That wouldn't be true with Queiroz.

I'd view him, ultimately, as a caretaker manager with a 2-3 year appointment. If everything goes well, then he gets the job on his own terms. If not, I doubt he'd be a disaster, as someone like Allardyce might.

pbrown

The Marksman said:
A bit different mate! SAF had already win trophies with Aberdeen. With the best will in the world youd have to rate Robbo as 'improving' , Bruce as 'steady' and Hughes as 'promising'. None of them have enough experience yet. None of them have won anything yet.
Never said that he had not won anything, just that there was controversy as there would be for anyone we hire here..

redjoe

If anyone finds a spare clue please pm it to me
Still thinking of a name said:

Won some successive Scottish trophies? Well, he didnt sign Larsson did he? If not (and I think not) then he just happened to walk into the 1 scottish team with a world class player - And simply because of that - His job wasnt really hard, was it?

At Leicester O'Neil done pretty much what Moyes is doing now with Everton (Didnt get a champs league place did he?) so there is little to choose between them when it comes down to it really.

I agree however that these should be the 2 targets, however.
At Leceister O'Neil got them to Cup finals on a very tight budget, much tighter than what Moyes has to play with at Everton, Larsoon doesn't play for Celtic anymore and they put up good fights against the likes of Milan without him.Both managers are good but Moyes lacks the experience that competing in Europe brings and thats why many people would like to see O'Neil take charge.Celtic should have beat Mourinho's Porto in the UEFA Cup final and I see similiarities between the two, they both have that ruthless confident no nonense air about them, very much like a young Fergie.

redfromcanada

O'Neill and Quieroz seem to be the safest choices to succeed SAF while a manager like Fabio Capello would be quite intriguing although he doesn't tend to stay in one place long enough for my liking. Moyes seems like a candidate who could stay at OT for a long time which would be a bonus. Big Sam Allardyce is also another interesting candidate and has done a good job at Bolton.

skeeta

The "clueless" Sir Alex Ferguson:

1980 Scottish Premier League - Winner
1982 Scottish League Cup - Winner
1982 Scottish F.A. Cup - Winner
1983 Scottish F.A. Cup - Winner
1983 European Cup Winners Cup - Winner
1984 Scottish F.A. Cup - Winner
1984 Scottish Premier League - Winner
1985 Scottish Premier League - Winner
1986 Scottish FA Cup - Winner
1990 F.A. Cup - Winner
1991 European Cup Winners Cup - Winner
1991 European Super Cup - Winner
1992 League Cup - Winner
1993 F.A. Premier League - Winner
1994 F.A. Premier League - Winner
1994 F.A. Cup - Winner
1996 F.A. Premier League - Winner
1996 F.A. Cup - Winner
1997 F.A. Premier League - Winner
1999 F.A. Premier League - Winner
1999 F.A. Cup - Winner
1999 European Champions League - Winner
1999 Intercontinental Cup - Winner
2000 F.A. Premier League - Winner
2001 F.A. Premier League - Winner
2003 F.A. Premier League - Winner
2004 F.A. Cup - Winner

skeeta

Why would Querioz be anywhere near a safe choice?
Quieroz knows the game inside out, and he is a rock with no psychological hangups, and no egotrips. He is firm but fair; he gives the players every reason to respect him.

skeeta

Queiroz was quick to warn that Real Madrid squad was dangerously unbalanced and the club should look to strengthen its defense.

His advice was ignored and instead he found himself without one of the linchpins of the club's recent success, defensive midfielder Claude Makelele, who was allowed to join Chelsea after he asked for a pay rise.

Instead of relying on less-heralded playerslike pavon, ruben, borja, portillo, The season proved that many of the youngsters are not ready to carry the team while the "galacticos," all of whom are nearing or over 30, cannot cope with the relentless cycle of domestic, European and international matches.

Queiroz asked for additional players to bolster his squad, and upon his dismissal at the end of a trophyless season, the coach admitted that he almost walked away from the club in January when Perez and Valdano failed to act on his requests.

"I said to the club, let's think about the squad in December and take the key decisions," said Queiroz.

"You can't have a squad of 21 players and have Real Madrid's ambitions. I said at the start of the season we needed 23 or 24. I was very worried about a squad as short as that and with so little experience."

skeeta

What we need is a manager who can build a new dynasty on foundations as strong as Ferguson’s; a Fergie-style hard man, with the personality and the football nous for changing times. In short, we need a José Mourinho. United should go and grab Martin Mourinh-O’Neill now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rooney and Moyes don't get along so no. If this wasn't the case, then he would be the logical choice.

mu77

there weren't 4 CL spots when MON was at LC was there? and winning in the SPL w/ one of the old firm teams means nothing. (just like barry ferguson's career in the prem.)

what's the guys name at lyon le guen la geun or something? - they've won the league 3-4 times on the trot - he gets his team into the next round and finished the group ahead of UNITED this season in CL. he's youngish as well.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
mu77 has the right idea...the lyon manager is right up there with mourinho in terms of ability but is more like Benitez in terms of attitude...i.e he doesn't shout his mouth off at any time a mic is shoved infront of his face.

alonso767

Calm down
moyes would be an absolutely horriffic appointment. he's a good manager, but not at a club like united and i think hed be a disaster in charge of a major club.

could you picture sam allardyce in charge of united? i for one cannot.

o'neill i think is the man for the job. but robson and hughes could be considered definite candidates for the position.

pbrown

alonso767 said:
moyes would be an absolutely horriffic appointment. he's a good manager, but not at a club like united and i think hed be a disaster in charge of a major club.

could you picture sam allardyce in charge of united? i for one cannot.

o'neill i think is the man for the job. but robson and hughes could be considered definite candidates for the position.
Agree

kanchelskis14

I think it has to be Quieroz, or a younger, up and coming continental manager. We should try to get an ambitious younger one who wants to be at the club for 10+ years and make his own Dynasty. Maybe Le Guen or Dechamps perhaps. Wouldn't mind Cantona in some kind of coaching role either.

pigface

Supports
Atlanta United
On sentiment I would like to see CQ get the nod. If the board decides to bring in someone else, Paul Le Guen might be a good bet. But who knows what will happen.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header

Er, Celtic were shite when O'Neill took over and had been for ages

He turned them into champions in one season

I watched them hold Barca to a draw in the Nou Camp this season

mu77

pigface said:
On sentiment I would like to see CQ get the nod. If the board decides to bring in someone else, Paul Le Guen might be a good bet. But who knows what will happen.

that's it paul le guen - cheers pigface. he seems to have a good head on him as well. and sometimes number 2's are just that. but i could see CQ getting the nod. he has some respect from the players already.

kkcbl

tengy said:
yeh, i would like a british manager, or we faced being like arsenal, a foreign players club
But look at Mourinho - most successful club in England but with a British backbone!;)

Plus UEFA's new ruling on squad players might curb the direction of clubs like Arsenal but this conflicts with the English FA's 90 mile rule, so at the end of the day, external forces will affect the manager's player policy regardless of whether he's Brit or not.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
IMO moyes is the premiership manager of the season... everton in 4th, who woulda thought.. and they havent played ugly either.. its been good organised and at times pretty attractive football.. Beatie maybe english and more popular but the way hes brought out the best in bent has also been very impressive.
Once fergie steps down he could be a candidate.. also the way he argued with fergie showed he does have some of fergies bite in him.

amolbhatia50k

skeeta said:
Carlos Queiroz. Despite a lack of top-club experience, he is great tactician, Well-travelled, experienced, knowledgeable, sophisticated.
who fecking knows... i dont think any of us actually has a clue of how much hes contributed to united over the years.

skeeta

amolbhatia100 said:
who fecking knows... i dont think any of us actually has a clue of how much hes contributed to united over the years.
these are facts, not an opinion. Ferguson has been quoted as one of the best decisions he ever made in appointing Queiroz as assistant.

Remember 2002-2003. That was Queiroz, as much as SAF, if you believe the rumors. In 2001-2002, the team was easily the most talented in the EPL (Veron,Stam,van Nistelrooy and Co) . And it failed to bring home the title, conceding it to what SAF (and most United fans) still believe was a distinctly inferior Arsenal squad. Arsenal actually seemed like a better team in 2002-2003 before peaking in 2003-2004...but failed to win the title. In my mind, it's because of tactical improvement (and Rio, of course).

skeeta

Standards have been set here by Alex and we should go for the best possible candidates to replace him.

We shouldn't restrict ourselves to the British Isles in our search for the right man. We shouldn't discriminate

amolbhatia50k

Plechazunga said:
We don't want to go the sentimental route of employing old greats as managers...look what it did for Liverpool. Making them number 2 is OK but not manager - we need someone proven, a fecking winner
i agree with this

Status
Not open for further replies.