Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murt

devilish said:
Well we agree to disagree on that.
Regarding pressure its only about 2 games home and away. A club in the Serie A (let say Juventus) will have various games considered as 'hot' for example, Juventus - Roma, Juventus - Milan, Juventus - Fiorentina, Juventus - Torino *(at the moment torino are in the serie b) and Juventus - Inter. Every game is difficult and decisive. The Mickey mouse league offer only 2 'good' games (as stated both Celtic and Rangers are average clubs) apart from those games its all plain sailing.
In the Scottish league the big tweo face each other more than twice and every other game is the oppositions cup final, a bit like the Utd/ Norwich game the other week.

redcharlie

Top Bloke
Moreover, the Glasgow 'big two' derby, much as I hate it's sectarian overtones, isn't so much a city derby. It's a 'derby' with intense fan interest in three countries, Scotland, N.Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Martin O Neill is my choice to succeed SAF. He's succeeded wherever he's been, both as a player and as a manager ( success isn't measured in silverware at smaller clubs re: Leicester and Wycombe, both of whom he managed brilliantly on buttons). Articulate, loyal, experienced, respected and driven...........and the small matter of having been a management success at every club he's been at without ever having a big budget.

Martin's the man.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Murt said:
The so called "ultras" are a pack of pussies.
Image Juve fans, waiting 20yrs for revenge, going to kill a couple they were and as if it wasnt enough they were knocked out by the kunts.
Yet not one bit of trouble in Turin :houllier:
The roughest thing i saw the ultras doing was writing angry poems about Liverpool,
Juventus ultras are pussies

Roma ones arent

devilish

Murt said:
O'Neill was very close to winning the UEFA cup, matched the great Porto team in the final only to loose by an odd goal.
In Fergies day their was hardly any non Scots playing in Scotland and the standard was if anything lower.
The fact is that O'Neill is every bit as qualified as Fergie was in 1986, open your eyes.
Football had changed since SAF left Aberdeen, and even our priorities had changed

Should we consider also Walter Smith? I mean he had won everything in the MM league

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Plechazunga said:
No-one's doubting Fergie likes him

We need a proven winner as our manager though, someone who has actually successfully managed a football club
You cannot identify a proven winner to be the manager- as there is always a better option available than the one we choose.

So does the kit-man...do you want him as manager?
Culture in the sense....

He was the man, who nurtured the absolute beginners into golden generation of youngsters much similar to the early days of Fergie - working with Knox and Kidd in revamping the youth system- and creating world beaters out of them.

Unlike the kit man , he got appreciations for his tactical acumen and renovating the training system. Fergie dosent consult with the kitman for tactics and training. ;)

I don't think he commanded that much respect from them actually. And he failed at Madrid. I'm sure that wasn't entirely his fault, there are ifs and buts involved, but nevertheless we need a proven winner.
Under Queiroz ,a depleted Real Madrid still played attractive football and there were'nt grumblings from players or the management as such. They won the first leg against Monaco 4-2 and were first in the league with a comfortable 8 point lead over Valencia. Once they lost the CL, they lost their confidence and went heavily down in the liga.

A relatively stronger Real Madrid with Samuel, Owen and Gravesen, are poorer this season even with Sacchi as the Technical director. Is it not?

Someone with the credentials for the job.
He has the necessary credentials to manage a big club. I cannot see any reasons on why he dosent deserve a chance.

Stamford Bridge

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already mad
Murt said:
O'Neill was very close to winning the UEFA cup, matched the great Porto team in the final only to loose by an odd goal.
In Fergies day their was hardly any non Scots playing in Scotland and the standard was if anything lower.
The fact is that O'Neill is every bit as qualified as Fergie was in 1986, open your eyes.
The standard of football might have been lower, but it was also more fair across the board.

Ferguson also managed Aberdeen, not one of the Big Two clubs in Scotland, where even Graham Souness managed to win everything.

I think if O'Neil did what he did with Celtic with a lesser Scottish club like Motherwell or Dundee United he would have more respect. As it is, he's only followed the well-beaten path of former "great" managers like Souness and Walter Smith.

Stamford Bridge

vijay said:
A relatively stronger Real Madrid with Samuel, Owen and Gravesen, are poorer this season even with Sacchi as the Technical director. Is it not?
It is not.

Real Madrid this season look to push Barca all the way for a photo finnish. Even if they fail (which is likely) they'll at least be in 2nd spot.

Whereas last season Madrid gave up 3/4s of the way in and ended up where, remind me again? ;)

Spoony

Stamford Bridge said:
The standard of football might have been lower, but it was also more fair across the board.

Ferguson also managed Aberdeen, not one of the Big Two clubs in Scotland, where even Graham Souness managed to win everything.

I think if O'Neil did what he did with Celtic with a lesser Scottish club like Motherwell or Dundee United he would have more respect. As it is, he's only followed the well-beaten path of former "great" managers like Souness and Walter Smith.

Souness spent a lot of cash and didn't win a European trophy like Ferguson. Celtic are a big club, so they can't be compared to Aberdeen, however O'Neil's done well in Europe, surely that's an indication that he's a good manager.

Stamford Bridge

Murt said:
The so called "ultras" are a pack of pussies.
Image Juve fans, waiting 20yrs for revenge, going to kill a couple they were and as if it wasnt enough they were knocked out by the kunts.
Yet not one bit of trouble in Turin :houllier:
The roughest thing i saw the ultras doing was writing angry poems about Liverpool,
Did you also think "pussies" when the flares were raining down on the pitch during the Milan-Inter derby? :confused:

Spoony

Stamford Bridge said:
Did you also think "pussies" when the flares were raining down on the pitch during the Milan-Inter derby? :confused:

what was so tough about that? :confused:

Stamford Bridge

Spoony said:
Souness spent a lot of cash and didn't win a European trophy like Ferguson.
I know, which is why Souness is struggling with his team at 12th and Ferguson is one of the greatest British managers of his time.

Spoony said:
Celtic are a big club, so they can't be compared to Aberdeen, however O'Neil's done well in Europe, surely that's an indication that he's a good manager.
Not necessarily. Celtic haven't won away in the Champions League for ages. He's never gotten past the group stage either, has he?

Porto achieved more with more or less the same finances.

Spoony

Stamford Bridge said:
Not necessarily. Celtic haven't won away in the Champions League for ages. He's never gotten past the group stage either, has he?

Porto achieved more with more or less the same finances.
Could be argued that there are better Portuguese players around than Scots(well, there's not much of an argument) and not many good players are prepared to move to a third rate league like the Scottish, with all it's weather and crap football. And Portuguese league can attract decent Brazilians and other Latinos. I think it's unfair comparision re: the finances.

devilish

Spoony said:
Could be argued that there are better Portuguese players around than Scots(well, there's not much of an argument) and not many good players are prepared to move to a third rate league like the Scottish, with all it's weather and crap football. And Portuguese league can attract decent Brazilians and other Latinos. I think it's unfair comparision re: the finances.
The scottish league is crap.

pbrown

You know I have been reading the thread and I have come to the conclusion that we need a Continent style manager when SAF leaves... Look at the teams that are doing well and are improving in the EPL.. The teams that are improving have proven managers from mainland Europe who have more tactical styles other then the UK managers.. Spurs have Jol, Arse have Wenger (I know he is a asshole but still a good coach) Cleski have JM, and pool have Benitez.. These teams have improved this year even Arse because of the young players they are bringing along... Most of the UK Managers are status Quo.. Granted Moyes and Big Sam have done well, but are they really United material? Portsmouth have bought in another Frenchman, maybe we need to look at that also and not Carlos because he maybe to close to the tactical problem we have,,,.. I am probably talking through my ass but we need to look at a manager with CL and continental experience. IMO

Sonny Feehan

When Moyes was still at Preston and no one had really heard of him, an old youth team mate of Ferguson and friend of mine was told by SAF that David Moyes would be the next manager of United. Even I didn't believe it but it is much more credible now than it was then.

Murt

Stamford Bridge said:
thought struck my mind, had they been tough they would have went to the Milan section or found a few outside and kicked the shite of them.
Throwing a few flairs onto the pitch is about as tough as 12 yr olds throwing water baloons.

Murt

devilish said:
Should we consider also Walter Smith? I mean he had won everything in the MM league
Obviously not because unlike O'Neill he never made any progress in Europe and failed with Everton.

vijay

pbrown said:
You know I have been reading the thread and I have come to the conclusion that we need a Continent style manager when SAF leaves... Look at the teams that are doing well and are improving in the EPL.. The teams that are improving have proven managers from mainland Europe who have more tactical styles other then the UK managers.. Spurs have Jol, Arse have Wenger (I know he is a asshole but still a good coach) Cleski have JM, and pool have Benitez.. These teams have improved this year even Arse because of the young players they are bringing along... Most of the UK Managers are status Quo.. Granted Moyes and Big Sam have done well, but are they really United material? Portsmouth have bought in another Frenchman, maybe we need to look at that also and not Carlos because he maybe to close to the tactical problem we have,,,.. I am probably talking through my ass but we need to look at a manager with CL and continental experience. IMO
Agree on the bit about continental managers but CQ is not the reason for our tactical problems.

Tactics and Formation don't win matches, players do. We are failing because we dont have the players.

vijay

Stamford Bridge said:

Last season Valencia an were the best team in the league, Deportivo were stronger and after the arrival of Davids, Barca started to pick up.

This season only Barca and Villareal are the best teams in the league and rest have gone shite. So if Real finishes second or third, it's simply because all the other teams are shite. Overall their football has been appalling and their standards have come down drastically.

devilish

Murt said:
Obviously not because unlike O'Neill he never made any progress in Europe and failed with Everton.
he had won nothing in Europe and he is no where near as good as Capello, Hitzfield etc. Comeon guys we all know the level of the SPL, its crap! I think we deserve more than someone who had nearly won the European Mickey Mouse cup (thanks the new Uefa rules thats what the UEFA cup is all about) with a team that had dominated Disneyland.

devilish

vijay said:
As a manager and as a person Benetiz is better than both Wenger and Mourinho.

Secondly you cannot compare Benetiz with Capello and Fergie.
he is no better than Mourinho. Mourinho is the most arrogant manager in the world but what he had achieved (winning the CL with 1/3 of the budget of any European big side + winning the League and maybe also the CL in his first year at Chelsea) is amazing. Same thing can be said about Wenger who should be given credit for winning so much at local level despite working with a budget which is so inferior to the one given to SAF year in year out.

Benitez had won the league and UEFA cup with Valencia which is an achievement but, he havent build a team out of nothing hasnt he? He found a fairly rich and competitive side build by Cuper which was capable to reach the CL finals in two occassions!

And I havent compared Benitez with Capello and SAF. That would be stupid to do.

devilish

vijay said:
Agree on the bit about continental managers but CQ is not the reason for our tactical problems.

Tactics and Formation don't win matches, players do. We are failing because we dont have the players.
Thats true. SAF is a great manager, one of the finest managers ever.

Julian Denny

The only credentials Moyes has is that he's Scottish, seems a no nonsense type of character, reasonably astute tactically, done pretty well with Preston and now Everton but no more, Fergie likes him and wanted him as second in command at OT. Unfortunately that's not nearly enough to take the top job in football. If Fergie stays on for say two or three more seasons and Moyes actually achieves something tangible, then maybe he could be a contender.

skeeta

Yet another rambling idiot
Benitez

His appointment is something of a coup for Liverpool. He took over at Valencia in the wake of the club's second successive Champions League final defeat in 2001 and, with limited funds, was not expected to maintain those heights. Yet in his three years he claimed two Primera Division titles and also celebrated victory in last week's Uefa Cup final against Marseille, a team who had previously beaten Liverpool.

They were superbly organised, mentally tough and physically immense.

Benítez's role can hardly be overstated. An obsessive student of the game, dedicated and meticulous.

And Benítez has managed his squad superbly, rotating cleverly. The day Valencia won the title at Sevilla they had Rubén Baraja and Pablo Aimar on the bench yet they were hardly missed.

skeeta

And so the top managerial jobs in England go to overseas coaches,

Enter José Mourinho at Chelsea, Rafael Benitez soon at Liverpool and Martin Jol at White Hart Lane. the Premiership will boast a European Cup, Uefa Cup and LaLiga chamions, Portuguese league and Cup winner. With Carlos Queiroz returning from Real Madrid to assist Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United - intending, indeed, to succeed him - these will be interesting, intriguing times, carrying a challenge for the English.

What is clearly emerging is that any top club in England, or one that aspires to be, now believes that foreign is best. It may be fashion, it may also send a message and a challenge to the domestic game.

English coaches may be fuming that they are not getting close to these jobs, but, just as overseas players arrived and revealed a new professional and personal regime, so the imported managers, with their in-depth training and qualifications, illustrate the standards required.

skeeta

Queiroz was credited with much of United's defensive improvement in winning the title, plus much of their tactical and organisational innovation, and his was not an acrimonious departure.

skeeta

The coach Neville credits for turning him from a full-back into a holding midfielder, and for imbuing him with the confidence and tactical know-how to perform well in the role, is none other than Carlos Queiroz.

I got shoved into midfield because we had injuries, and Carlos took me to one side in training. He told me he thought midfield might be my best position, and I've never looked back.

'I certainly enjoy it more than full-back. You get a lot more freedom. Carlos showed me videos and told me the positions to take up. It wasn't easy, but it was an enjoyable challenge. He explained I could be the one to hold the midfield, the one to sit in and pick up the player who drops off from the front. He told me I would get plenty of games in that position, and that is how it has worked out.

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
Not sure about Carlos.

I reckon we'll need a fresh aproach....

How about Big Sam? He's not done anything wrong...at all. Just imagine us in Europe with the big fella.

skeeta

Queiroz is the man

Florentino Perez is the only one who is in charge at Madrid. Only he makes decisions, even against the opinion of the trainer.

Queiroz was not the culprit of all the evils of the team, as some tried to make believe

Madrid had a very important player in Makelele, who the director allowed to leave.Queiroz asked Perez and Valdano to replace him, but they did nothing.

Florentino blamed Queiroz for everything. This was wrong.

It's good to go out and try to sign the best players in the world. But a team is a like an orchestra and you cannot just have violinists and expect to produce great music.

In March of 2004,Madrid were on the path to their first treble, with carlos at the helm

EricVanCoppell

O Neil is without question a talented manager. Celtic were indeed behind Rangers for many seasons before O Neil transformed them - overnight.

However let's face it Souness transformed Rangers and enjoyed similar dominance for many seasons during his time in Scotland. Now would any of us fancy Souness taking over at United ? Didn't think so! - Souness' record apart from Rangers has been largely wank.

Having said that O Neil should be given some credit for his record with Celtic just as Fergie was for his time at Aberdeen.

It is probably the style of play adopted by O Neil's teams that bothers me the most. His hoof the ball skywards approach may be effective and did well for Leicester and Celtic. I just wonder whether he can get his head around the concept that at United winning is feckin important but so too is to play an exciting brand of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.