MPFG Draft - R1: NM vs Himannv

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
NM

Himannv

NM Tactics

My idea is to create a well balanced team.

Toldo is a solid GK - one of the best of his time.

The defence partnership is set up to allow Scirea to shine. Gentile and him are a great combination and Burgnich and Gentile can cover when he skips forward. On the other side, Camacho is an attacking LB just like Scirea used to play with. It's set up to bring the best out of all of them.

The central midfield is compromised of tenacious box-to-box mids. Tardelli and Ocwirk aren't losing a battle and both are capable of knowing when to go forward vs hang back. Both are amongst the best at what they did.

The attack is set up to allow a poacher like RvN to shine. Two wingers to supply him with crosses with a playmaker behind him - just like when he had his best years atUnited. Amancio and Mouljin will contribute with goals and crosses while Overath will pull the strings. A well balanced attack for what we are looking for.

The idea is to control the midfield with the hard working team, and overwhelm the oppoition with a high number of playmakers when attacking - that midfield with Scirea joining in should be very hard to defend against.

Good luck to Himanv

Himannv Tactics

Formation
: 4-4-2

Tactics:
  • Team built to give Beckenbauer freedom to impact the game in defence, midfield, and attack.
  • There is pressing involved but the team generally holds shape, particularly in the defensive phase.

Beckenbauer:
  • Drops deeper to collect the ball from the keeper or defence when needed.
  • Generally runs the game from midfield.
  • Looks to pick out one of the strikers up front.
  • Switches the play to flanks when one of the wingers are free.
  • Steps forward into attacking areas to either create a chance for someone else or score himself.

The support cast:
  • Keegan is great at receiving long passes and makes runs off the ball.
  • Krankl plays off the shoulder of the last man and constantly makes runs to get on the end of passes and score.
  • Mackay acts as the DM when Kaiser steps forward and also acts as a secondary creative force in midfield if Kaiser is blocked.
  • Zagallo and Conti add defensive workrate and help support the midfield when they don't have the ball, but are good options for out balls wide.
  • The fullbacks are balanced and help out both offensively and defensively.
  • Blanc helps with playing out from the back
  • Ferri is a pure stopper and an ever present defensive presence.
Videos of key players:

Beckenbauer

Not even his best game but it gives an idea of the kind of influence he can have on the game as a whole.

Conti

Lovely player and it's the first time I've picked him. Fleet footed, technical, good delivery, great workrate, everything you could ever ask from a top class winger.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Very interesting teams, which is a cool feature of this draft in general.

Ocwirk would be an interesting discussion. I think @NM may even undersell him a bit in the OP, but there may also be some overlaps with Overath's playmaking style which I'd have to think about. From what I've seen, both liked to shape the game from deeper zones in buildup before pushing up (a playmaking 6/8 and an #8-like 10). But my impressions of Ocwirk are of course limited, and maybe they could co-exist well. Would love to hear other opinions on this @GodShaveTheQueen

I like @Himannv's front six a lot at first sight.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Very interesting teams, which is a cool feature of this draft in general.

Ocwirk would be an interesting discussion. I think @NM may even undersell him a bit in the OP, but there may also be some overlaps with Overath's playmaking style which I'd have to think about. From what I've seen, both liked to shape the game from deeper zones in buildup before pushing up (a playmaking 6/8 and an #8-like 10). But my impressions of Ocwirk are of course limited, and maybe they could co-exist well. Would love to hear other opinions on this @GodShaveTheQueen

I like @Himannv's front six a lot at first sight.
I think Overath-Ocwirk has a lot of parallels with Iniesta-Xavi (not in playing style per se before Bepo pounces on me). Neither Iniesta or Xavi were limited to the deeper areas or final third and could contribute from both areas but Iniesta had the more advanced average position with Xavi the more deeper average position. Can see same dynamics here with Overath and Ocwirk.

My first thoughts on the team when I first saw it earlier today was it would have been an excellent 4-3-3. Sure Tardelli is no holding midfielder but the rest of the team looks much better in a 4-3-3 IMO.

If I was NM, I would sell Tardelli and grab someone like Bedin (If I played this draft which I almost did, I wanted to finally put a draft team with him, something I have been thinking of for ages) who would be at home in the Italian back 5. And then splash the Tardelli cash on upgrading the attack.

Point being, Overath and Ocwirk is just class in my eyes and more importantly, it's new and never tried here before (at least since I have been around) .

I usually would vote for the more unique team when something like this intrigues me almost instantly, but Himannv's team is too good to do that. Its great that Zagallo has been getting so many runouts recently.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Neither Iniesta or Xavi were limited to the deeper areas or final third and could contribute from both areas but Iniesta had the more advanced average position with Xavi the more deeper average position. Can see same dynamics here with Overath and Ocwirk.
Cheers. My impression of Overath is perhaps a bit different (more "Xavi" than "Iniesta" if you will), which spawned my question. But I'm also still trying to figure out Ocwirk, there's quite a bit of footage available by now.
Its great that Zagallo has been getting so many runouts recently.
Agree. Like most (all?) the Brazilian "role players" of 1958/62 he was a really damn good technical player in his own right.

NM

Hey guys. I'm sorry I'm at work so won't contribute much to posting. But the idea is to have multiple playmakers. all the modern sides have shown that multiple playmakers can co-exist. City, Barcelona etc. so they wouldn't be stepping on each other's toes necessarily. The idea is to feed Ruud - all of them are capable of that. Also from a control of midfield perspective this really shouldn't be a contest imo. Extra man plus Scirea stepping in.

Himannv

@Himannv I love the use of Beckenbauer. It is essentially the full, superman role that @Invictus envisaged for him.
Yeah, that was the inspiration behind it. I liked how much freedom it gave him in a more modern side and really let him be the main man. When I drafted him and put him in midfield before, it was always as a DM and he was seen as canceling out opposition attackers. I wanted him to have the option to control the game and attack and this seemed like a good way to set it up.

Himannv

Give us the scoop on Eyzaguirre @Himannv . He was absolutely savaged on here years ago by Anto and he's never really been rehabilitated. He's the only one giving me pause for thought here as the rest of your team looks very solid.
I went back and read that thread (antohan vs Cutch I believe). He had Cristiano ahead of him and was being double-teamed by Facchetti and Stoichov in that game and couldn't expect much help from midfield because the opposition had Pele, Maradona, Beckenbauer, and Rijkaard with just Heirro and Edwards to deal with them all. I don't feel it's the same story here as he has Conti ahead of him and good defensive players nearby and I don't feel Mouljin would give him as much trouble as they are comparable players in terms of quality.

I mostly decided to pick him based on this compilation of him here:

He looks pretty solid defensively but, based on the video, he also had skills on the ball when under pressure that I feel contribute to him being a balanced fullback.

Just throwing in a nice little clip here of him vs Djalma:

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Pretty sure am more disappointed about the result than @NM himself. Really wanted that team to go through a reinforcement round.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Himannv
Very nice snippets of Eyzaguirre, didn't know him at all. Not going to make sweeping statements based on a few clips, but on first impression he resembles Lahm a bit in style.

NM

Pretty sure am more disappointed about the result than @NM himself. Really wanted that team to go through a reinforcement round.
Yeah I don't care about the results. More fun drafting. I could argue all day and I think I do have the better team + formation especially but cest la vie. All good.

Himannv

@Himannv
Very nice snippets of Eyzaguirre, didn't know him at all. Not going to make sweeping statements based on a few clips, but on first impression he resembles Lahm a bit in style.
I think his best skill is his technical skills and ability to pass the ball out when under pressure.

I don't think what @antohan said was as damaging as something @Brwned posted about him though:

That's so misleading Cutch, he was known as an outstanding attacking right back. Roberto Carlos is considered one of the outstanding left backs of his time but he'd have a nightmare up against Stoichkov - I think it's the same here with Eyzaguirre v Henry. I watched him against Italy in '62 the other week and thought about compiling a clip of all his defensive lapses for our game but couldn't be bothered in the end, here's one example of his idea of defending in that game:

That one clip doesn't prove anything but you'll have to take my word for it. He got caught under the ball for that long diagonal countless times and got sucked into the tackle over and over again. Great on the ball though, excellent passer for a fullback and really composed in possession.
I purposely left that bit of analysis out. I think that's a concern indeed and a fleet-footed winger with some skills could give him problems if that happens often in games.

Himannv

Any other concerns about the team folks? I got the impression that most don't like the defence. I kind of like my CB partnership and rate both players and I think Sansom is underrated. Any comments apart from Eyzaguirre?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
@Himannv
Lahm’s a really good call actually! I only watched a few games of him and I wouldn’t have said he was as good as Lahm defensively, but then in fairness if I watched Lahm in a handful of games (Euro 2008?) I could’ve come away with all the same conclusions. I vaguely remember Lahm being a little defensively vulnerable at left back while a little dynamo on the ball, but at right back he was just imperious in both. Not sure if that’s fair to him at left back? Ezyaguirre reminded me of left back Lahm.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I think his best skill is his technical skills and ability to pass the ball out when under pressure.

I don't think what @antohan said was as damaging as something @Brwned posted about him though:

I purposely left that bit of analysis out. I think that's a concern indeed and a fleet-footed winger with some skills could give him problems if that happens often in games.
Did you miss the clips I posted or were they taken down? Guy simply didn't have any grasp of the very basics of defending. It was the sort of hapless comical display you'd expect from some randomer off the street.

He was very progressive on the ball and you can see why he would be rated on his tactical/attacking contribution.

Guy can't defend though, just can't.

Disclaimer: have no idea who has Eyzaguirre or how they are playing him, just replying to a notification.

Last edited: