MPFG Draft R1: P-Nut vs TheReligion

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
P-Nut

TheReligion

P-Nut Tactics

Theme of the side was a premier league dream team, but utilising the European tactics we've seen flooding the league recently.

Attack

In attack we have the young all action version of Rooney who will bring the best out of Henry and Salah who will play close to him, and run in behind the space he creates.

Midfield

Fabregas and De Bruyne take on the roles we see from City's advanced midfield 2, relaxing the demand on the other to create by themselves. Fernandinho takes on his usual anchoring role.

Defence

Pearce and Zabaleta take on normal full back roles with no inverting, Zabaelta being comfortable in possession aids the transition from defence to attack. In the centre of defence Dias and Vidic were as close as I could get to recreating Ferdinand and Vidic within the budget. Dias being the more comfortable on the ball, and complimenting Vidic perfectly.

Cech is solid behind them and will help keep the back door shut with his clean sheet record of 202 clean sheets in 443 games.

TheReligion Tactics

5-3-2 into a fluid 4-4-2 diamond

The team will be set up off the ball in the classic 5-3-2 wing back system using Ze Roberto and Zambrotta in the wide areas. When in possession the team will flex into a 4-4-2 diamond set up with Ze Roberto drifting into the midfield, and the rest of the defence shifting across to the left. This allows Maldini to occupy the left full back spot and moves Zidane centrally behind a delicious front two of Del Piero and Trezequet.

The team has a heavy Italian and Serie A influence and contains multiple key proven partnerships. It also boasts players perfect for operating in such systems given the majority have been deployed there throughout their careers and have the high levels of tactical awareness to operate fluidly within them.

A solid, technical, high energy side which is not only extremely difficult to break down but possesses supreme quality at the other end of the pitch to destroy its opponents.

Starting from the back Maldini, Cheillini, Zambrotta and De Rossi provide a solid proven Italian core whilst probing ahead of them is the quality of Donadoni and Del Piero.

At club level the proven forward partnerships at Juventus of Zidane, Del Piero and Trezequet provide the chemistry in forward areas and plenty of goal threat. Del Piero being the perfect link up man to Trezequet, who despite not being well sought after in drafts, is in his absolute prime here. The mercurial Zidane offers an additional international link with his French counterpart whilst Zambrotta and Cheillini further strengthen the Juventus team mate theme and chemistry which dovetails perfectly.

Del Piero and Trezequet thieved together under Lippi and later Capello. Transfermarkt has them at 39 direct goal involvements together and the pair are statistically Juve’s most prolific strike duo ever. The perfect balance and blend of pace, technically ability, strength and lethal finishing.

Finally it is of note that both Maldini and Donadoni shared multiple major domestic and European success together at as part of that AC Milan side.

#teammates

Key Players

Paulo Maldini
– The best defender the world has ever seen. Made his name at LB but equally brilliant when he made the move to CB later in his career. In every area you need a football player to excel Maldini delivered. Quick, two footed, powerful engine, perfect positioning, reading of the game, timing and power. Maldini could do everything with ease and was equally a threat going forward at LB delivering accurate crossing and link up play. He is the captain of the side and lynchpin of a powerful defensive unit with Cheillini and Lucio.

Zinedine Zidane – Arguably one of the best midfield players to grace the game and one of only eight players to win the Ballon d’Orr, World Cup and European Cup. He is one of the most decorated footballers in history and is the playmaker of this side. Zidane had everything in his locker and the strange ability to find space where there wasn’t any and glide past players like they were statues with relative ease. Excellent weight of pass, vision and a dangerous goal threat, he was the ultimate attacking midfield maestro and is allowed to stamp his authority on the game here with the tenacious De Rossi holding behind him with the tireless Ze Roberto putting the hard yards in box to box.

Special Mention

Roberto Donadoni
- Described as one of the finest talents from Italy in the late 80s and 90s he was sublime for both club and country. His versatility allowed him to occupy any midfield role boasting creativity, pace, the ability to ghost past players and superb stamina and workrate. These attributes allowed him to operate box to box and made incisive forward ball carries.

Ze Roberto - Gets a special mention due to how underrated he is. Not only a versatile workhorse, he was technically gifted and had a supreme tactical awareness allowing him to slot in any left sided role or operate as defensive midfielder. Ze Roberto was unique in the sense that despite these defensive attributes he was also creative and able to contribute in forward areas. This saw him used in attacking central and wing roles during in career. The ultimate all rounder.

Zambrotta - Another versatile gem of a player operating on the right side. He is arguably the best Italy has produced in this area of the pitch and boasted pace, stamina, high work rate and technical skills which allowed him to be proficient at both ends of the pitch (and both sides). Here he moves smoothly between RWB to RB during different phases of play.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Good luck @TheReligion

Quite happy with going against the 532, think Dias and Vidic match up quite well against Trezegeut and Del Piero whilst allowing Henry to get at Lucio

TheReligion

Abusive
Good luck @TheReligion

Quite happy with going against the 532, think Dias and Vidic match up quite well against Trezegeut and Del Piero whilst allowing Henry to get at Lucio
Likewise really. Nice set up for me to exploit.

Pearce is a mismatch here and completely out of his depth. Donadoni and Zambrotta annihilate him. Especially with no help from Henry who is busy trying to find a way through the wall I’ve placed at the back.

Vidic v Trezeguet has shades of Torres about it!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
strong urge to vomit whenever i see Henry on the left

P-Nut

strong urge to vomit whenever i see Henry on the left
The idea was 442 when he was picked, but then realised I'd fecked up not seeing Giggs and Becks in the attackers list. He's still fine here in a Salah type role so he's close enough to goal

P-Nut

Likewise really. Nice set up for me to exploit.

Pearce is a mismatch here and completely out of his depth. Donadoni and Zambrotta annihilate him. Especially with no help from Henry who is busy trying to find a way through the wall I’ve placed at the back.

Vidic v Trezeguet has shades of Torres about it!
Yeah Pearce is an obvious weak link, but he's away from any of your best players, and rarely targeted due to the lack of wingers. The fact it even transitions into a diamond takes the onus off him even more defensively.

Also the Vidic vs Torres debate has been shown up so many times.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
The idea was 442 when he was picked, but then realised I'd fecked up not seeing Giggs and Becks in the attackers list. He's still fine here in a Salah type role so he's close enough to goal
I think peak-Henry is as good as it gets as a modern inside forward in a 4-3-3.

P-Nut

I think peak-Henry is as good as it gets as a modern inside forward in a 4-3-3.
Yeah CR7 is the only other stand out from a modern era in that position, but in a budget restricted draft the difference isn't nearly big enough to justify the cost.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah Pearce is an obvious weak link, but he's away from any of your best players, and rarely targeted due to the lack of wingers. The fact it even transitions into a diamond takes the onus off him even more defensively.

Also the Vidic vs Torres debate has been shown up so many times.
Pearce is a liability. His failings pull the rest of the back 4 across, including Fernandinho, allowing gaps to form for the main man Zizou to gain even more control of the game.

Pearce is getting sent off early on. I’m 50/50 at what point Fernandinho joins him.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Too harsh on Pearce. Was a pretty decent left back. Besides, as already noted, it's a narrow 5-3-2, so don't see why it would be a problem even if one doesn't rate him enough.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Are we sure there was a budget constraint? :lol:

Joking aside, I reckon the theme panned out well. Sides look strong but realistic. You don't have one team saying "I have Rijkaard, Matthäus and Roy Keane so you will only have the ball for about 4 mins" but instead both are sporting trios which provide a good mix of creativity, graft and tactical balance to their respective teams.

P-Nut

Too harsh on Pearce. Was a pretty decent left back. Besides, as already noted, it's a narrow 5-3-2, so don't see why it would be a problem even if one doesn't rate him enough.
Yeah this is my point really, he's fine for a 532 with no direct winger against him, where he could have been more exposed by doubling up of winger and full back, against Zambrotta most of the time he'll be much more of a match up.

TheReligion

Abusive
So Pearce gets a free pass because apparently they’ll be no one up against him in the 532 or 442 variations?

i didn’t realise either set up meant no one used the right side of the pitch.

TheReligion

Abusive
Anyway enough about Stuart Pearce getting chewed up..

The clear theme of my team is proven partnerships. Here’s the Juventus connection;

Del Piero x Zidane

Del Piero x Trezeguet

Zambrotta

Note Zambrotta dealing with some of the best players in the world defensively here (a certain C. Ronaldo at one point). More than a match for Henry.