Mpox (fka Monkeypox)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The monkeypox outbreak has been declared a global health emergency by the World Health Organization.

The classification is the highest alert that the WHO can issue and follows a worldwide upsurge in cases. It came at the end of the second meeting of the WHO's emergency committee on the virus.

More than 16,000 cases have now been reported from 75 countries, said WHO director general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-62279436

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
“Gay, bisexual, or men who have sex with men”

what is that last clause for? Pansexuals? Couldn’t/Shouldn’t they just have said “‘men who have sex with men” since it can cover gay and bisexual men anyway?
"Men who have sex with men" is a well-established term for men who identify as heterosexual but occasionally have sex with men, for whatever reason. When I was working in healthcare, we had a sexual health adviser who used to visit prisons because there were many men there who fell into that category. It's complicated!

Charlie Foley

"Men who have sex with men" is a well-established term for men who identify as heterosexual but occasionally have sex with men, for whatever reason. When I was working in healthcare, we had a sexual health adviser who used to visit prisons because there were many men there who fell into that category. It's complicated!
That is interesting! Thanks! my question, perhaps poorly worded, wasn’t “do we need to add ‘men who have sex with men’” so much as it was “isn’t just saying ‘men who have sex with men’ enough as it covers all the categories.” But this is the best answer so far! I had never heard that it was established as a term with that limitation

Last edited:

facund

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2207323
RESULTS
We report 528 infections diagnosed between April 27 and June 24, 2022, at 43 sites in 16 countries. Overall, 98% of the persons with infection were gay or bisexual men, 75% were White, and 41% had human immunodeficiency virus infection; the median age was 38 years. Transmission was suspected to have occurred through sexual activity in 95% of the persons with infection. In this case series, 95% of the persons presented with a rash (with 64% having <10 lesions), 73% had anogenital lesions, and 41% had mucosal lesions (with 54 having a single genital lesion). Common systemic features preceding the rash included fever (62%), lethargy (41%), myalgia (31%), and headache (27%); lymphadenopathy was also common (reported in 56%). Concomitant sexually transmitted infections were reported in 109 of 377 persons (29%) who were tested. Among the 23 persons with a clear exposure history, the median incubation period was 7 days (range, 3 to 20). Monkeypox virus DNA was detected in 29 of the 32 persons in whom seminal fluid was analyzed. Antiviral treatment was given to 5% of the persons overall, and 70 (13%) were hospitalized; the reasons for hospitalization were pain management, mostly for severe anorectal pain (21 persons); soft-tissue superinfection (18); pharyngitis limiting oral intake (5); eye lesions (2); acute kidney injury (2); myocarditis (2); and infection-control purposes (13). No deaths were reported.

RedDevilQuebecois

The true problem at hand is not exactly a matter of gay men; it's purely about promiscuity. If people had the presence of mind to stop being promiscuous in the meantime, this mess would not have reached such level at the moment.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The CDC website is a bit of a joke when it comes to talking about how it spreads and prevention. Having unprotected gay sex is just hidden away with everything else that might cause spread of the disease.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The true problem at hand is not exactly a matter of gay men; it's purely about promiscuity. If people had the presence of mind to stop being promiscuous in the meantime, this mess would not have reached such level at the moment.
Abstience and humans never really works though does it, even (arguably especially) if it'd be the common sense thing to do in this situation.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I really don’t care about it and I’m pretty sure 99% of the population don’t either.

Pintu

Abstience and humans never really works though does it, even (arguably especially) if it'd be the common sense thing to do in this situation.
There is a long way to go from promiscuity to abstinence. And limiting sexual activity to one partner under such circumstances is not asking too much.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
There is a long way to go from promiscuity to abstinence. And limiting sexual activity to one partner under such circumstances is not asking too much.
Unfortunately it clearly is if we’re getting a spread surely?

RedDevilQuebecois

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So the dog that contracted it from a human had legions around its anus..