MPs call for Uber to be stripped of its London licence

prateik

Why a written test? Seems unnecessary.
Do cab drivers have to do the same?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I disagree with the rule.

As long as they aren't here illegally, they can do the job, and get me where I need to go safely - I don't have a problem.

They don't need to be proficient in written English.

As long as they aren't here illegally, they can do the job, and get me where I need to go safely - I don't have a problem.

I disagree, we have to do a much better job at intigrating new immigrants into society else run the risk of more support for the far right.

Speaking and writing in English should be top of the list for new immigrants.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Basic English being a requirement isn't too hard of a stretch.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I disagree, we have to do a much better job at intigrating new immigrants into society else run the risk of more support for the far right.

Speaking and writing in English should be top of the list for new immigrants.
My mum would fail most written English tests, even though she can speak English very well, albeit a slight accent, she's fully immersed into British society also and she's been here for over 25 years.
She just didn't go to school past 16, and didn't have to learn English until she was in her mid 30's.

Let's stop the arrogant stigma that language = assimilation, because it doesn't.

Written proficiency in English isn't sufficient to drive a car, nor does it indicate assimilation into society.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

I agree. They need to be able to read and speak English, and know what to do in an emergency - I can't see that those are negotiable, as they need to follow road signs, speak to customers and take action if they have an accident (or the passenger becomes ill). However, apart from the basics, they surely don't need to be proficient in written English.

NinjaFletch

My mum would fail most written English tests, even though she can speak English very well, albeit a slight accent, she's fully immersed into British society also and she's been here for over 25 years.
She just didn't go to school past 16, and didn't have to learn English until she was in her mid 30's.

Let's stop the arrogant stigma that language = assimilation, because it doesn't.

Written proficiency in English isn't sufficient to drive a car, nor does it indicate assimilation into society.
As would most Daily Mail readers judging by the comments section.

No, but it certainly helps, no question.

I know from first hand experience of 10 years living in Sweden, learning the language is a huge part of assimilation into society. You'd be a fool to deny that.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I agree. They need to be able to read and speak English, and know what to do in an emergency - I can't see that those are negotiable, as they need to follow road signs, speak to customers and take action if they have an accident (or the passenger becomes ill). However, apart from the basics, they surely don't need to be proficient in written English.
Agree, think these are two most important skills and also understanding especially in a customer service based job like taxi drivers.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
No, but it certainly helps, no question.

I know from first hand experience of 10 years living in Sweden, learning the language is a huge part of assimilation into society. You'd be a fool to deny that.
But this isn't about learning the language. This is about being able to pass a written test in the language, in order to drive a car.

I agree with @Penna being able to read and speak are the most important aspects of linguistics, if you can read in the language, you will naturally have the basics of how to write in the language - but you don't need to pass a test in order to show to what extent you can do this.

But this isn't about learning the language. This is about being able to pass a written test in the language, in order to drive a car.
No it's not, they can drive a car all they like with absolutely zero knowledge of English. This is about working in the customer service industry in an English speaking nation.

Oral tests would be good also, but the costs would be astronomical @vi1lain

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
James O'Brien suggested that basic language proficiency is one way of improving safety, as it confirms an individual's ability to understand signage/signals on the road.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
No it's not, they can drive a car all they like with absolutely zero knowledge of English. This is about working in the customer service industry in an English speaking nation.

Oral tests would be good also, but the costs would be astronomical @vi1lain
Am I missing something?

The article states;
The introduction of a written English language test for private hire drivers has been delayed after Uber won the right to appeal against the plans.

Transport for London (TfL) had wanted to revoke licences if drivers had not passed the test by 30 September.
Like I said - my mum would fail a written English exam, and that says nothing about her knowledge of English.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

Agree with both these points.

My dad has lived in the UK for 30 years, knows most of the big cities like the back of his hand, drives well and speaks very good English.

However, he'd almost certainly fail a written test.

How does that make him unfit to become a taxi driver?

Agree with both these points.

My dad has lived in the UK for 30 years, knows most of the big cities like the back of his hand, drives well and speaks very good English.

However, he'd almost certainly fail a written test.

How does that make him unfit to become a taxi driver?
Same question to you then, how do you cost effectively test Englaih proficiency?

And how do you guys know how this test is marked? I'm pretty fecking certain it'll be much much lower than GSCE English and that both of your parents would pass easily.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What's the driving force behind the notion of a written test - genuine customer-concerns, or business/political agenda?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yes you are, you stated they needed to complete a written English test in order to drive a car, which is absolutely untrue.

They need to complete the test in order to work in the customer service industry.

How would be cost effectively test English language proficiency @vi1lain ?
No I stated that they shouldn't need to complete a written English test in order to drive a car, which was the whole point of the article.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Agreed. I know immigrants who can't read English but are fine at speaking it and are well assimilated

Hope uber win their appeal, a English written test to drive a taxi is stupid

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I tried to post just now, and got warned that I need to learn to drive a car before posting. Sheesh.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Or calling an ambulance/emergency services in the event of an accident.
Given that a driving licence gained in one country is a recognised qualification in another, there is no further corroboration on the part of he employer regarding local rules or quirks. Yet if you are going to have care of one or more members of the public, it doesn't strike me as a serious imposition. It's not like they're going to be sent away with a work of Shakespeare and orders to write a follow-on essay.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Your thoughts on The Knowledge then??
I've always been fascinated with The Knowledge, and the intense prep taxi drivers go through. When I was in London I enjoyed the flexibility and cheap nature of Uber, however it would be a shame if that tradition was just wiped away.

Given that a driving licence gained in one country is a recognised qualification irrespective of borders, there s no further corroboration regarding local rules or local quirks on the part of he employer. And if you are going to have care of one or more members of the public, it doesn't strike me as a serious imposition. It's not like they're going to be sent away with a work of Sgakespeare with orders to write a follow-on essay.
Exactly.

I'm a left leaning remainer but the people who take issue with this are a perfect example of going so far left you end up with a huge kick back from the right and things like brexit. It's frustrating.

Integration must improve, and language proficiency is certainly a big help; but it's just one small step in the grand scheme of things of course.

I agree with the comments regarding being great at English but useless as writing but oral tests would cost a fortune & I'm pretty certain that the written test will be rather simple elementary English; something anyone who is proficient in English will be able to pass or would be able to pass with a little extra revision/learning.

Last edited:

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Some might well choose make this an immigration story; however, the enduring narrative is one of government/regulators vs Uber. A few months ago it was employee rights, now it's basic levels of English. If anything it's a tale of business pushing back against state involvement. Perhaps if Uber had instituted an online test focusing on speech and reading from the outset, TfL would look upon them more favourably.

Last edited:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The theory test for a driving licence requires that you can read a screen and click at the right time/in the right place, doesn't it? It doesn't ask you to write a paragraph (or write anything at all).

In the practical test you have to be able to read roadsigns and numberplates, and understand what the examiner is telling you to do. None of that requires you to be proficient in written English.

Agree with the requirement - if you're going to live and work here dealing with locals you should speak the language.

Disagree with the reasoning for it - black cab licence holders trying to stifle competition

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It talks specifically about "Written". If they have oral and reading skills in English, then surely that is sufficient for customer service. When was the last time you needed a Uber/cab driver to write things down?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It's a written test, which understandably is the cheapest and simplist way of testing language proficiency in large numbers.
There's also an oral/proficiency test involved in the process. The written test is remarkably pointless. My Dad has been through the test as he is a Cab Driver and it required him to write a paragraph of something meaningful that happened in his life, competely useless to his day to day job.

The language proficiency test makes sense but I've never come across a Cab Driver ever having to write more than the number of the cost of the fare.

You're making it seem as though not being able to pass a written test is a indicator of poor integration into society or inability to do the job you were hired for, and presumably trained for.
No I'm not, at all.

Though I would say, being able to write a paragraph about your life (see poster above) in the language of the country you live in is something that anyone should want to be able to do and can quite easily learn how to do. Within 6 months in Sweden I could manage that.

I'd expect the same tests for the expat UK communities in Spain if they wanted to work as uber drivers there, and they'd be the better for it too.

Last edited:

Smores

Agree with the requirement - if you're going to live and work here dealing with locals you should speak the language.

Disagree with the reasoning for it - black cab licence holders trying to stifle competition
This pretty much.

Is this just fight back from the traditional cabby? We know they're a racist bunch on average and their main competition with Uber is immigrants.

I would say this is the kind of sensible immigration policy which we should allow as it wins the argument against racist idiots. Although im sure some would say it feeds their narrative which perhaps it does.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It's a written test, which understandably is the cheapest and simplist way of testing language proficiency in large numbers.
What is needed for driving is reading comprehension (to read road signs and such) and oral proficiency (for customer service). Cheap/Simple testing becomes immaterial when the skill itself is unnecessary.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
No I'm not, at all.

Though I would say, being able to write a paragraph about your life (see poster above) in the language of the country you live in is something that anyone should want to be able to do and can quite easily learn how to do. Within 6 months in Sweden I could manage that.
Wanting to do something, and needing to do something in order to get paid and earn a living are two different things.
I'm sure most people who come to the UK, want to increase their linguistic proficiency, but as long as they are able to do the job they've been hired for and are assimilated in society, what they want to do with that proficiency, or rather how advanced they want their proficiency to go - is entirely up to them.