MUFC new transfer recruitment procedure

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by sammsky1, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Oct 20, 2019

clarkydaz Full Member

They ran the program twice mate. This is Manchester United
  2. Oct 20, 2019

Godfather Full Member

No wonder it takes us forever to get a deal over the line.
  3. Oct 20, 2019

Tarrou Full Member

It was football manager wasn't it?
  4. Oct 20, 2019

dal New Member

I think a lot of you are being very flippant I know this system methodology well having done some work as a data scientist.

The system isn’t just used for for scouting big targets but youngsters too. The model can be altered to yield scenarios where perhaps a player isn’t scoring in a lesser team and combining this with better players to reveal outcomes.

Obviously it’s just a tool and other things need to be considered like mentality etc

Obviously it’s needed to a lesser extent when signing big money players as there abit more obvious.

Im sure it must tell them time and time again we don’t need Lingard but they must keep ignoring it
  5. Oct 20, 2019

Cloud7 Full Member

I am so fecking fed up of being drip fed these stories about how up to date we are behind the scenes and how well things are being run.
  6. Oct 20, 2019

Crashoutcassius Full Member

How do you know he won't be sacked if he doesn't get top 4 ? Read it in the sun ?
  7. Oct 20, 2019

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Sounds like bullshit for the most part. Change of mind re Maguire, Dybala out of the blue late in the window, Eriksen out of the blue late in the window. There's no way they are the result of months of planning.

But the whole article presumes that the criticism is solely over the identification of players, which it isn't. It's about making deals happen too, actually spending the money. Woodward can't hide away from that and the result of his approach are now bearing fruition.

And, let's be honest, the article paints that scouting system as cutting edge, but it's just basically what you would have presumed every club would have. The software might be new, but I'd have expected they crunch data on players for a long time now, but only as a supplement to what our scouts see with their eyes and experience.
  8. Oct 20, 2019

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Yeah this is really worth keeping in mind when reading these articles, which are clearly puff pieces for Woodward. It should be stickied at the top ofnthe page.

What makes me laugh is this coming out before the Liverpool game. Ed is clearly sweating over this game today and fearing the backlash.
  9. Oct 20, 2019

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  10. Oct 20, 2019

sammsky1 Pochettino's #1 fan

My other point is the arrogance of the club to think ours is somehow better than other clubs.

Liverpool’s model looks amazing as helped identify so many unknown and less famous players.

Salah and Mane are two excellent example. They were hardly renowned as top global talents, but The data was have identified something to make Klopp brakice they would dramatically improve under his coaching and within his system and tactics.

I’ve read an article before which said that FSG used the same model to hire Koop himself.
  11. Oct 20, 2019

Shamana Full Member

Honestly I dont see why just need FM. Players like De ligt and Neves have been stars on there long before they became more famous. Arthur as well.
  12. Oct 20, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

What criteria did they use? British, young, expensive, not good in attack?

On another note, seems like the reason as for why we could not sign any midfielders is solely based on the fact that they had to do the sorting by hand given that Excel for Windows 98 does not support sorting by more than one column at the time.
  13. Oct 20, 2019

DoomSlayer Full Member

So with this "new system", we aren't able to find young talented CMs for reasonable prices? We couldn't find a single worthy RW, apart from Jadon Sancho? This is absolute bollocks.
  14. Oct 20, 2019

Greck Full Member

I don't think it's BS but I do think it's not a good sign that our CEO is thin skinned enough to be defending himself against moaning. Unsurprising that he was weak willed enough to succumb to the kneejerk clamour to give Ole the permanent job. This isn't the psyche of someone that should be at the top of a mega corporation

If he isn't going to cede power he needs to surround himself with wise decision makers, shut the hell up and keep powering through the unpopular decisions till he gets it right
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  15. Oct 20, 2019

jem Full Member

It's pure Woodward-driven PR nonsense. Until we get a proper DOF, I won't buy into any of this propaganda. Ultimately, the proof is the dross that's being churned out on a weekly basis. Yes, our summer recruitment appears to be ok, but even that was flawed. It took way too long to get Maguire in, and even AWB dragged a bit. If ever there were an off-season in which we needed to: (a) clean out deadwood; (b) get a number of players in (more than 3,) (c) get them in early, it was this past summer.
  16. Oct 20, 2019

TwoSheds More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

No? Do you think he improved 33% over that year?
  17. Oct 20, 2019

AneRu Full Member

Its Woodward just defending his turf, he won't come out this Ole fiasco unharmed and has gone into self preservation mode. God help us if Liverpool take us to the cleaners today, we won't hear the last of these 'long rebuild, Ole is the right guy' leaks.

My take is that Woodward enjoys the transfer window too much, Ole indulges him as he fully knows that without Woodward's idiocy he would still be in Norway. Woodward also knows that if he is forced to sack Ole, it will be a fourth huge and unnecessary pay off of another failed manager in six years. Even if the Glazers are idiots, his position will come under review, a review which will include input from the likes of Fergie and could result in him not necessarily getting the sack but emerging with much less power over football matters.
  18. Oct 20, 2019

Mr. Meeseeks Full Member

Even if it is blatantly a Woodward briefing, it sounds like he is actually learning. This is how it should be done, with competent people making the calls using good data. The article makes it seem like he has changed his approach several times, so I forgive him for his past mistakes as he has clearly been learning (albeit painfully slow). In the absence of the genius that was SAF, we need a team of highly technical and highly competent people who use data to inform their decisions and support the manager.

This is how Liverpool have built the incredible team that they have. They only hired Klopp after they checked with their Director of Research, who vetted him mostly by analysing data from games (he didnt even watch most of his final season at Dortmund). That same Director of Research has a hand in all their signings. Their new focus on using data analysis in decision making at every level is what has brought them their new found success.

If Woodward keeps his thick accountant brain bean counting and making deals with our new Official Socks Sponsor or whatever, then I for one will not protest his employ for the next window or two. As long as he leaves the decision making to the pros then I'm willing to wait and see what players this new system brings in.
  19. Oct 20, 2019

Denis79 Full Member

Woodward spewing propaganda to make himself look good. He wad adamant about him having no say in this system, haha. 800+ Full backs, which means 800+ midfielders were looked at when we bought Fred.

Last season Maguire wasn't good enough, this season he makes that top 3 mentioned. Either it's bullshit or the system has a "few" flaws.
  20. Oct 20, 2019

Will Singh Full Member

I could have done that on my own with no fancy software or an army of scouts, this has to be a fecking joke right?
  21. Oct 20, 2019

sammsky1 Pochettino's #1 fan

Not sure where to post this: but James has been an excellent incoming.