Munich - 60 years remembrance thread

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Ashley Young's tweet is great. It might be someone on his behalf, but it's still good.

Borden

Still astonishing 60 years on how people still recall how great Duncan Edwards was. 'The greatest player in the world' was one description.
It may seem seem like hyperbole
but when Sir Bobby Charlton says that he couldn't get near him it shows what he player he was and would have gone on to become.

Some real heroes emerged from that;Jimmy Murphy who had to carry that team,Albert Quixall,Harry Gregg and more...
It was the reason my dad became a fan and I grew up steeped in the history of the Busby Babes. It was then great to watch a team built round Best,Law and Charlton go on to lift the European Cup.

They will never be forgotten
Well he came 3rd for Ballon d’Or (behind di Stefano and Billy Wright, and tied with Kopa, though much younger than all of them) months before Munich so he was definitely up there.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
I hope to be able to watch this on the mutv website later tonight after they post it. Learning about the Babes from a friend of mine and about how the club fought on through disaster is one of the things that convinced me to support United. It’s a club that has qualities that transcend football.

May they Rest In Peace and long may their memory endure.

RedDevil@84

RIP to those people whose lives were cut down shortly, player, staff and media.
Applause to the spirit of people like Sir Matt Busby and Jimmy Murphy who picked up the pieces and built an empire.

And shame to those fans who are trying to sell free memorabilia given out in last match on Ebay.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
A touching few words from the interview with Sir Bobby Charlton about the tragedy. It was from the BBC documentary marking his 80th birthday in October last year for anyone who missed it.

Foxbatt

I was surprised to see that Real Madrid offered Distefano to United for one season with them paying half his salary and United paying the other half. True to form the The Football League refused to let him play.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
It's hard to put into words. The club effectively started all over again. How Jimmy Murphy while effectively grieving, kept the club alive - informed family members of the events - and the aided in replacing the fallen. Busby of course when he pulled through himself. You wouldn't have begrudged many for taking a step back and walking away, as I can only imagine how traumatic things were - losing many true friends.

From the individuals at the club, to those clubs and people outside of our own, who helped save this club so dear to our hearts - they are all true heroes that deserve to be remembered and adored on this day. Wembley 68 meant a hell of a lot more than getting crowned Champions - it was a we made it.

May the all rest in piece, as we keep the red flags flying high.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's hard to put into words. The club effectively started all over again. How Jimmy Murphy while effectively grieving, kept the club alive - informed family members of the events - and the aided in replacing the fallen. Busby of course when he pulled through himself. You wouldn't have begrudged many for taking a step back and walking away, as I can only imagine how traumatic things were - losing many true friends.

From the individuals at the club, to those clubs and people outside of our own, who helped save this club so dear to our hearts - they are all true heroes that deserve to be remembered and adored on this day. Wembley 68 meant a hell of a lot more than getting crowned Champions - it was a we made it.

May the all rest in piece, as we keep the red flags flying high.
Still don't think Jimmy Murphy gets the credit he should or not enough credit anyway.

Jordan_mufc

I'm 25 years old and although I had always known about the air disaster, it was not until a few years ago that the magnitude of the situation really sunk in.

What a horrific day it must have been and credit to the club we love that they were able to rally together, rebuild and become such a dominant force in world football.

R.I.P. Never to be forgotten

Reactions: SteveJ

Big Andy

Bloke
Harry Gregg was the reason I named my second boy Harry...George the first born, named after the obvious...

Wasn't even old enough to have seen any of them play, but they resonated with me...Best for the obvious playboy persona, skills, and the what not, Harry Gregg for his heroics in Munich...If my third kid had been a boy, I'd have pushed for Bobby...

Salient

Rest in peace beautiful Busby Babes. 60 years might have passed, but you'll never be forgotten.

This horrific tragedy and the way United has dealt with it ever since I learnt more about it deepened my relationship with the club. I'm hardly the only one who feels that way either. The Munich scars are about destroyed lives, hopes and dreams, but also about colossal will and strength to rebuild what perished in that dark day.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJ

VanGaalEra

Still remember the 08 Derby, City fans and the club were brilliant.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
A touching few words from the interview with Sir Bobby Charlton about the tragedy. It was from the BBC documentary marking his 80th birthday in October last year for anyone who missed it.

Look at what Sir Bobby went on to achieve in his life, both on and off the field. One of the greatest English players and football ambassadors of all time. And to think that so many great players alongside him were taken so young in this tragedy. What would some of them have gone on to achieve? Duncan Edwards especially who Sir Bobby himself said was the greatest player he ever played with.

So sad :(

buchansleftleg

Still don't think Jimmy Murphy gets the credit he should or not enough credit anyway.
Definitely this - we need to commemorate Jimmy Murphy in some way. He was such an unassuming man he would probably have hated the idea of a statue but i think he deserves one. Maybe something about him bringing through youth players?

It's one thing to regret the loss of that team that would have stopped Real's dominance of Europe. However Munich could easily have destroyed the club, had it not been for the great relationships Jimmy Murphy and Sir Matt had built in previous years.

It's the support offered by our rivals that always warms the heart, and the callous priggishness of the FA that does not surprise either.

I remember going to Old Trafford when Sir Matt died. Messages of support from rival clubs and fans across the world near and far. That's Manchester United!

This rare quote from Jimmy sums it up

“I know those lads better than anyone. I found them. I nurtured them. I was there with them every morning, noon and night, piss and rain and gales and snow. They let me mould their lives from the ground up. They repaid me, they repaid this club with their skill, their passion and now their lives. It’s not about honouring their memory. It’s about showing who we are to the world. Showing we’ll not be bowed by tragedy. Because how we are in the future will be founded on how we behave today.” – JIMMY MURPHY

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Indeed. I think it’s one of those things, since he missed the flight due to Wales - his name only pops up by those who read more into it I suppose. He was huge for us in the aftermath - unfortunately days like today reflect on those lost and present that day in Munich

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
May they rest in peace. The club has done very well to honor them, the fans too.

They will never be forgotten.

Sandyman

RIP the Babes! Thoughts with everyone who was affected by this tragedy.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
While the BBC show on Munich was put down by some for its treatment of Sir Matt. It did show at the very least what an important and crucial role Jimmy Murphy played in bringing the club back from the brink.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Some lovely gestures from fans and rivals alike. Lovely.

RIP Babes.

jackofalltrades

Not a religious person myself but I always go silent when Abide With Me is sung on cup final day

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
RIP the Busby Babes. Forever in the hearts of United fans around the world.

This history of our club is part of why I'm a Manchester United supporter today, even from far far away in Central Africa.

Baby Groot

19 years ago, in 1998/1999:

Nottingham Forrest 1 - 8 Manchester United

United scorers that day:
Yorke 2', 67'
Cole 7', 50'
Solskjær 80', 88', 90', 90'

In my humble opinion, this game was the ultimate tribute to the Busby Babes form the Treble winners.