Murder rate in London exceeds that of NYC

Fully Fledged

What does all that mean in normal English.
The first part I would say is to do with drugs. Banging means to copulate(have sex) so I would say that skengs is some sort of name for a female. A shank is a type of blade so shanking someone would be to stab them. A beef is an argument.

Fully Fledged

The first part I would say is to do with drugs. Banging means to copulate(have sex) so I would say that skengs is some sort of name for a female. A shank is a type of blade so shanking someone would be to stab them. A beef is an argument.

Edit: nope.
Rep Your Ends
To go to the ends of your turf and represent yourself there and show that you still have firm control of the area
skengs is also a name for a blade.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Representing and protecting your neighbourhood , shooting guns and stabbing people over minor disputes.
Thanks for the translation.

Pity these people haven’t had strong parental “guidance” (tactful word). I can honestly say if my mother had ever found me with a knife it would have been the last time because I really wouldn’t have ever dared carry one again in case she found out. She was far too ferocious for modern day parenting but it worked, I didn’t get away with anything.

Hoof the ball

Organised crime is a lot more transnational than it used to be, and also, London is increasingly more influential as it relates to gang/drug related activity/production/transportation. You can ban guns and you can ban knives, however, when organised crime increases, so does the amount of black market weaponry in circulation, which in turn enables more crime.

Fully Fledged

Pity these people haven’t had strong parental “guidance” (tactful word). I can honestly say if my mother had ever found me with a knife it would have been the last time because I really wouldn’t have ever dared carry one again in case she found out. She was far too ferocious for modern day parenting but it worked, I didn’t get away with anything.
I will admit that I was wrong about most of it. :lol:

RedTiger

Half mast

Same with my Dad, if he had caught me with a weapon when I was a kid I'm 100% sure he'd have killed me out of shame.

marktan

North and South London suffered heavily due to postcode wars.

I'm gonna be unpopular with this post but some of the increase in knife/gun crimes over the past 20 years has something (how much I don't know) to do with songs talking about repping ends, about banging skengs and shanking people because of beef.
Family is a big part of it too, South Asian communities tend to be strong on family which is why I think the youth there are hesitant to get involved in anything serious. The few cases of lunatics I've seen around here are usually with a history of a bad home.

I've noticed though the drug usage and selling has a had huge growth around where I live over the last 3-4 years. Every kid aged 16 and up seems to be selling in plain sight, and it's brought an influx of weird homeless-looking druggy types to my area.

Not sure what's brought that on, but it seems to be the case in many areas in London. Imo where drug selling/usage increases, other forms of crime are never far behind.

Fully Fledged

Family is a big part of it too, South Asian communities tend to be strong on family which is why I think the youth there are hesitant to get involved in anything serious. The few cases of lunatics I've seen around here are usually with a history of a bad home.

I've noticed though the drug usage and selling has a had huge growth around where I live over the last 3-4 years. Every kid aged 16 and up seems to be selling in plain sight, and it's brought an influx of weird homeless-looking druggy types to my area.

Not sure what's brought that on, but it seems to be the case in many areas in London. Imo where drug selling/usage increases, other forms of crime are never far behind.
That's true. You get turf wars over who has the right to sell where for one.

Hoof the ball

Dunno if organised is really a befitting word for most of the crime beneath these stabbings. More Ali G than the Kray twins.
Perhaps not stabbings, however, gun-related murder has been present within the same time frame and confirmed gang related. Howard Abadinsky mentioned that numbers within small and large gangs had swelled up over the past year in London, so, some of what we're seeing, statistically, could be overflow from an increase in weapon carriers involved in street level activity. You could see the rise due to lack of police funding and presence, however, that same funding doesn't explain why gang membership is on the rise so drastically.

Fully Fledged

Perhaps not stabbings, however, gun-related murder has been present within the same time frame and confirmed gang related. Howard Abadinsky mentioned that numbers within small and large gangs had swelled up over the past year in London, so, some of what we're seeing, statistically, could be overflow from an increase in weapon carriers involved in street level activity. You could see the rise due to lack of police funding and presence, however, that same funding doesn't explain why gang membership is on the rise so drastically.
Intercity deprivation. It's not only policing that has faced cuts.

marktan

David Lammy pointing out yesterday that a large reason for the spike in crime is the huge spike in drugs being imported into the UK.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...-of-cocaine-mp-david-lammy-says-a3804681.html

I think he's absolutely spot on. I've never seen cocaine to be so readily available on the street, and that being sold by swathes of 16 and 17 year olds. Something's definitely changed over the last 2-3 years to precipitate that. The 16 year old shot in the face on Monday was said to have been dealing drugs on a rivals 'patch', and warned earlier that day to not to come to that area before being shot.

It doesn't help either that police budgets have been cuts and are still facing further large cuts.

Classical Mechanic

Where I come from (North Manc), Asians are very involved in the drugs business, especially heroin.

marktan

Where I come from (North Manc), Asians are very involved in the drugs business, especially heroin.
Yeah they're getting pretty heavily involved in drugs in London too. I was more referring to them not being involved in as many stabbings / fatal killings in London, but I think that'll soon change given how many are involved in drugs at the moment.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
David Lammy pointing out yesterday that a large reason for the spike in crime is the huge spike in drugs being imported into the UK.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...-of-cocaine-mp-david-lammy-says-a3804681.html

I think he's absolutely spot on. I've never seen cocaine to be so readily available on the street, and that being sold by swathes of 16 and 17 year olds. Something's definitely changed over the last 2-3 years to precipitate that. The 16 year old shot in the face on Monday was said to have been dealing drugs on a rivals 'patch', and warned earlier that day to not to come to that area before being shot.

It doesn't help either that police budgets have been cuts and are still facing further large cuts.

How much is cocaine going for? Is it good stuff?

The Purley King

Would imagine although I don't have any evidence to back this up that 90% of the violence is drug related in some way. Gangs protecting their own area for selling and attempting to expand into other areas. I'm sure you'll get the odd dispute over a girl or someone dissed someone else's trainers and got shot, but would think they are the minority.
Its one other argument for decriminalising drugs, as it'll go a long way to stopping much of this violence.
Read an article in the Standard yesterday by the guy who worked under Giuliani in NYC, can't remember his name. Said that the way to stop lots of this is to concentrate on the petty crimes. Graffiti, street prostitution, littering, anti social behaviour. Seemed like it worked in New York, but obviously that requires a lot of investment which doesn't seem like it'll happen anytime soon.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
It might sound heartless but I have zero sympathy. It’s highly likely all those concerned won’t ever contribute anything positive and will forever be a drain on society.

They all make choices and if they want to go the crime, gang route instead of trying to better themselves, move away from problem areas and do something positive with their life they can’t expect anything else tbh.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Bloody hell. Stabbings in Ealing Broadway. London is fast becoming an absolute shit hole.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I feel like this being the flavour of the month in the media is making it feel like there’s a huge outbreak but people have been getting stabbed daily in London since forever.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I haven't been to Coventry for 20 years so I can't comment on that but I will say that the worst areas of the West Midlands are no where near as bad as the worst areas of London. That's just a fact.
I'm not sure that it is. I've been to parts of Coventry that have no street name signs, burnt out cars and metal boarded up houses. Just about everywhere has its ghettos but also decent areas.

marktan

It might sound heartless but I have zero sympathy. It’s highly likely all those concerned won’t ever contribute anything positive and will forever be a drain on society.

They all make choices and if they want to go the crime, gang route instead of trying to better themselves, move away from problem areas and do something positive with their life they can’t expect anything else tbh.
Three of those killed this week were aged 16, 17 and 18, and three of those seriously injured last night were aged 13, 15 and 15. Kids.

For a lot of them they're likely to come from a range of issues including poor economic backgrounds, having home issues, no positive role models, getting involved in drugs because lack of employment etc.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

It might sound heartless? You think?

You ever considered why these things happen and what causes these people to be drawn into gang life? The impoverished areas they grow up in and the lack of help or even acknowledgment from their government? Budgets for services being slashed left and right, police budgets being cut over and over, social housing being massively overpopulated? Poor education and lack of employment opportunities? When people feel left behind or ignored by society gangs have a recruitment field day.

But sure, they didn't fix their own situation so feck 'em.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I feel like this being the flavour of the month in the media is making it feel like there’s a huge outbreak but people have been getting stabbed daily in London since forever.
Yea, my Dad pointed a story out on the news and I was just thinking it was odd that they're reporting a random stabbing. Definitely flavour of the month because there's less war/terrorism right now, so will seem worse.

If it means something gets done though then it's good, I guess. Drugs can be blamed, but it's not just that. Legalisation would give them less excuse to kill but it's not gonna happen soon. Poverty goes some way to causing it. Still morons though.
The easiest but shortest sighted relief is increased policing.

NinjaFletch

Amber's on it, no worries.

I feel like the is actually reasonably sensible. Perhaps just insist that they use a credit card to verify.

I used to work for a mail order and Telesales company that sold machetes through the post. Their age verification was to tick a box saying you were over 18 or saying that you were on the phone...

Eventually they stopped selling them because they lost the supplier, and then sent out a grovelling letter to all their customers apologising for no longer being able to sell them.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I live in East London and someone was literally just stabbed outside my window. This area is becoming insane.
When people get stabbed in a city it's usually literally outside someone's window. That it happened outside yours tells you nothing about whether London's getting better or worse.

Xcited

When people get stabbed in a city it's usually literally outside someone's window. That it happened outside yours tells you nothing about whether London's getting better or worse.
I've been stabbed three times in London. Twice in the last year or so. Lots of more unpleasentries about my experiences in London but will not go into too much detail.

One class in my school, another form in my year, every single pupil is dead or in prison right now.

I'm twenty from South East London. This is what makes London so crazy, you have the hood and the city living within another.

Good point aswell each persons individual experience can not be reflective of London as a whole. It is a major issue. I can speak from experience, alot of today's youth feel as though unless they revert to crime they will never be as successful as they hope.

As a society we need to do more to support these vulnerable poor people who are so misguided they think they have to kill to make a killing.

There has to a mentality change, and society has to change to help prompt this.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Ignorance truly is bliss.

Yea, my Dad pointed a story out on the news and I was just thinking it was odd that they're reporting a random stabbing. Definitely flavour of the month because there's less war/terrorism right now, so will seem worse.

If it means something gets done though then it's good, I guess. Drugs can be blamed, but it's not just that. Legalisation would give them less excuse to kill but it's not gonna happen soon. Poverty goes some way to causing it. Still morons though.
The easiest but shortest sighted relief is increased policing.
Yeah the media are reporting crimes which they weren't reporting previously.
Not that it's a good thing, obviously the violence in the city is a concern - but it's being projected as if it's a recently spike in violent behaviour, and it's not.

Xcited

Ignorance truly is bliss.

Yeah the media are reporting crimes which they weren't reporting previously.
Not that it's a good thing, obviously the violence in the city is a concern - but it's being projected as if it's a recently spike in violent behaviour, and it's not
Agree it's been a progressive problem for a long time, admittedly it has spiked up however it does not mean it was good before.

On the previous paragraph. People need to realise, the vast majority of people who live this life do not wish to live it. They feel as though they have no other choice because of their environment. Either grind or fail for some individuals. We need to make changes to educate this people so they are aware and confident they can make it legit.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I've been stabbed three times in London. Twice in the last year or so. Lots of more unpleasentries about my experiences in London but will not go into too much detail.

One class in my school, another form in my year, every single pupil is dead or in prison right now.

I'm twenty from South East London. This is what makes London so crazy, you have the hood and the city living within another.

Good point aswell each persons individual experience can not be reflective of London as a whole. It is a major issue. I can speak from experience, alot of today's youth feel as though unless they revert to crime they will never be as successful as they hope.

As a society we need to do more to support these vulnerable poor people who are so misguided they think they have to kill to make a killing.

There has to a mentality change, and society has to change to help prompt this.
I'm not surprised in the slightest. Need a Government who actually gives a shit about people like your classmates and offers them opportunities in life. I wouldn't even say that it's your generation either, think it's probably been going on ever since they started Uni Fees and the constant stress of exams at schools. It's simply too much for some kids and that doesn't mean they're dumb and wasters, it just means they deal with pressure differently to others and decide to give up.

What should happen is for schools to under go a radical change in how kids are taught and given I know a fair number of teachers i'm pretty sure they all would love such a change. Offer kids several different routes in education rather than just one. Everyone wins that way.