Murder rate in London exceeds that of NYC

TheReligion

Abusive
Ok, it's a little bit sensationalist given its only the past two months which have seen murder figures in London overtake those of New York City but it's a worrying statistic should it be the start of a trend.

Both cities have a similar population so a comparison is in some ways fair. With 31 fatal stabbings in London in 2018, not to mention the shooting in Tottenham the other day which resulted in the death of a 17 year old girl and left a 16 year old boy critically ill, 2018 could leave London looking at a record murder rate.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm not surprised. Driving around Elephant and Castle today it's an absolute shit hole, these people have been left to rot whilst the posh new buildings take over literally next door. Plus gang culture going largely unchecked thanks to underfunded units to tackle it, and we basically get this.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It's a sensationalist stat used by Conservatives and Gun Nuts in America to have a useless and pointless finger pointing/brag. Sure knife crime and inequality as @Redlambs has pointed out is a big concern but it's just two months where London had one additional murder p/m than New York.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43628494

It's really more to do with New York's murder rate dropping significantly:

Still doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked at but blaming refugees/immigrants or lack of guns isn't really the issue here.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The wonderful mayor is more concerned with setting up task forces to combat online “hate speech”.

FlawlessThaw

The wonderful mayor is more concerned with setting up task forces to combat online “hate speech”.
Given it's #PunishAMuslimDay, I can understand why! In seriousness, Khan has looked towards Glasgow's anti-knife crime unit so it isn't being completely ignored.

Anyway this thread was actually covered in the Daily Mail thread, which you can imagine reacted in their calm and accurate fashion.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've been repelling a bunch of right wing American gun nuts on another forum about this. They claim this shows that gun control is a fraud to reduce the murder rate. :lol:

Last edited:

Nikhil

Sadiq Khan is more focussed on online hate speech. Most incompetent mayor in the UK or Ireland. He's done nothing positive or constructive since entering office.

Strengthen the police, listen to them and work with them to tackle knife crime, shootings, acid attacks and other crime. I feel bad for the London Police. They are underfunded.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
England is a shithole, London is the nucleus of shit. Not surprised by this at all.

FlawlessThaw

Sadiq Khan is more focussed on online hate speech. Most incompetent mayor in the UK or Ireland. He's done nothing positive or constructive since entering office.

Strengthen the police, listen to them and work with them to tackle knife crime, shootings, acid attacks and other crime. I feel bad for the London Police. They are underfunded.
Theresa May or rather central government is responsible for police funding. The role of the Mayor of London is fairly limited in all honesty.

Both Khan and the Met Chief Police have lobbied the government to increase police funding but not much has happened.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's a sensationalist stat used by Conservatives and Gun Nuts in America to have a useless and pointless finger pointing/brag. Sure knife crime and inequality as @Redlambs has pointed out is a big concern but it's just two months where London had one additional murder p/m than New York.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43628494

It's really more to do with New York's murder rate dropping significantly:

Still doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked at but blaming refugees/immigrants or lack of guns isn't really the issue here.
Gun nuts use this argument? Doesn't NY have one of the strictest gun laws in the US?

matherto

He can't strengthen the police when the Tories are trying their best to eliminate it all together through lack of funding.

Nikhil

I loved someone in the police's tweet after the polls last year to Theresa May. "You have to learn to do more with less." Brilliant. :lol:

It is largely her fault. Her time as Home Secretary was a disaster for the country. Cutting police numbers all over, funding cuts and other things. I still cannot believe she used her time as Home Secretary to become Leader and Prime Minister. Massive joke.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The finger can only be pointed at whomever was involved with cuts.

I'm sure it'll be used to facilitate more control of innocent people instead of looking at the obvious.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Knives have become an easy to get hold of weapon.

Easy to carry, easy to threaten people with and much easier to use than fists.
What do you mean have become? It's been the case absolute decades now.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
This is squarely on May.
Nah it's not tbh. From personal experience I'd say it got better under Cameron and yes has gotten worse in recent times, but knife crime (and murder/attempted murder) in London has been an issue for decades now.

marktan

England is a shithole, London is the nucleus of shit. Not surprised by this at all.
It's a great city. Born here, grew up here, still live here. It's only shit if you use things that are prevalent to any major urbanised city to detract from all that it has to offer.

That said, knife crime has been consistent here ever since I can remember. It's not gotten to crazy levels, but there is a large gang sub-culture here I believe, it's nearly always young kids that end up being stabbed. What's also a bit weird is why it seems to happen mostly in the north and south of London, I can't recall many fatal stabbings here in the east or in the west. Maybe more needs to be done to target the youth in those communities, especially the black ones (who tend to be the largest % of victims)?. One thing I've noticed from the South Asian kids that hang around on the streets in East London is that knife crime and any major violence for that matter is a big no, fights do happen occasionally but seldom ever fatal ones.

parkthebuslads

Khan should be booted for the total mess he's made of London but given the muslim/extreme left voting block (who ironically are on the same page) he will probably continue.

RedTiger

Half mast
It's a great city. Born here, grew up here, still live here. It's only shit if you use things that are prevalent to any major urbanised city to detract from all that it has to offer.

That said, knife crime has been consistent here ever since I can remember. It's not gotten to crazy levels, but there is a large gang sub-culture here I believe, it's nearly always young kids that end up being stabbed. What's also a bit weird is why it seems to happen mostly in the north and south of London, I can't recall many fatal stabbings here in the east or in the west. Maybe more needs to be done to target the youth in those communities, especially the black ones (who tend to be the largest % of victims)?. One thing I've noticed from the South Asian kids that hang around on the streets in East London is that knife crime and any major violence for that matter is a big no, fights do happen occasionally but seldom ever fatal ones.
North and South London suffered heavily due to postcode wars.

I'm gonna be unpopular with this post but some of the increase in knife/gun crimes over the past 20 years has something (how much I don't know) to do with songs talking about repping ends, about banging skengs and shanking people because of beef.

Oaencha

I live in East London and someone was literally just stabbed outside my window. This area is becoming insane.

matherto

I would rather live where I do than London. Although my house would be worth 5 time more in London.
Oh I agree there, I'd rather live anywhere than London.

That said, I fecking hate here, St. Helens with a passion. It's like Pripyat/Chernobyl if the residents hadn't left.

Fully Fledged

I moved down to Coventry in January. The midlands is pretty grim
I haven't been to Coventry for 20 years so I can't comment on that but I will say that the worst areas of the West Midlands are no where near as bad as the worst areas of London. That's just a fact.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
If, I assume, you came from London, aren't you technically moving up?
I moved from Leeds

I haven't been to Coventry for 20 years so I can't comment on that but I will say that the worst areas of the West Midlands are no where near as bad as the worst areas of London. That's just a fact.
True, but you could argue the opposite too.

Fully Fledged

Oh I agree there, I'd rather live anywhere than London.

That said, I fecking hate here, St. Helens with a passion. It's like Pripyat/Chernobyl if the residents hadn't left.
You could find villages within commuting distances of St Helen's where you could live quite comfortably for a reasonable price.

Fully Fledged

I moved from Leeds

True, but you could argue the opposite too.
I can't afford to live in either the best parts of London or Birmingham. I can afford to live in a decent area outside Birmingham tough where I can get a job that let's me live comfortably while enjoying all the benefits that a major city has to offer.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
North and South London suffered heavily due to postcode wars.

I'm gonna be unpopular with this post but some of the increase in knife/gun crimes over the past 20 years has something (how much I don't know) to do with songs talking about repping ends, about banging skengs and shanking people because of beef.
What does all that mean in normal English.