Murtough and Ten Hag on Utd squad

ehsanul

Bestower of favours

I am worried that Ten Hag and Murtough are thinking that the squad has huge potential,if thats the case then its curtains for us and taxi for Ten Hag.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Lets see if ten hag can polish turd next season.

These players will make ten hag look shite, even if by some miracle ten hag improved them then we won't win anything because our players are mentally weak chokers.

As neville said recently, they're broken and will fall apart at the first sign of adversity.

LARulz

Realistically we can't get 15 new players and ship 20 out. He will ultimately have to work with the majority we already have and some of them have/had potential and some are just average at best - either way he has to keep them on side till he can ship some of these guys on. Imagine a new boss in any line of work coming in and saying "You're all shit and see no hope for any of you"

Blood Mage

Sounds like the same old lack of decisiveness and willingness to give more and more chances to failing players that has landed us in this mess in the first place. Mainly driven by the Glazers' unwillingness to invest.

Rangnick being ignored as we all suspected. Unfortunately his crap interim spell gave the powers above a good excuse to ignore him.

caid

Its a big summer for Murtough and Arnold. People will give Ten Hag the benefit of the doubt for a year minimum imo. Them 2 need to get recruitment right for a change or no amount of goodwill or a positive outlook will be enough.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No CL and spiralling wages will mean there isn't a big warchest to play with this summer, we have to accept that.

We might get in 1/2/3 but it won't be a big change at all.

This year will be about getting the fitness right, finding a good team shape and organisation IMO. We need that before we can progress.

Telsim

I fail to see where is the potential in the current squad when half are going away this summer? And of those who are staying Ronaldo will be 38, De Gea will be 32, Maguire and Varane will be 30.

Who is left? Sancho, Rashford, McTominay, Fred, Dalot, Telles, Shaw, Elanga, VdB (?), Fernandes. I hope you will forgive me if I fail to see the huge potential in most of these players.

We can't replace everyone, but let's not pretend what we have is something great, because it's not (inc. "but we finished second and third with this squad). It comes across as bullshitting.

macheda14

No CL and spiralling wages will mean there isn't a big warchest to play with this summer, we have to accept that.

We might get in 1/2/3 but it won't be a big change at all.

This year will be about getting the fitness right, finding a good team shape and organisation IMO. We need that before we can progress.
The wage bill is cut by 25% PLUS a fair few leaving. All reports seem to point to ~150million plus sales being what we have to spend. We'll get in 3, no lower than that.

That being said, every manager says this before they come in. Even Klopp said this when he joined Liverpool 'This is a great club with a good team and big potential. Fast players, strong players, good defenders, flexible, creative.' - He pretty swiftly cleared out a lot of the club over the next two/three windows.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He's right, there is quality in the squad, the majority of the team are massively underperforming and we've had very little from Sancho and Varane who were big money signings. Add to that the horrible season that Maguire, Shaw and Rashford have had, that's half the outfield team.

Yakuza_devils

The squad has big potential? A big no.

There are lots of players don't deserve to be here next season. Rotten mentality and attitude. Not even willing to work for 90 mins. We are out ran by almost all the team in EPL.

We are also short of quality in the squad

macheda14

He's right, there is quality in the squad, the majority of the team are massively underperforming and we've had very little from Sancho and Varane who were big money signings. Add to that the horrible season that Maguire, Shaw and Rashford have had, that's half the outfield team.
Add Bruno in there, from ETH's point of view you could add VDB (who he previously rated).

There's obviously going to be new players coming in (and hopefully 3+), but you'd imagine a manager would back themselves to get the best out of underperforming players. It's a pretty key part of the role.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don’t really get the second tweet. Is he saying that United benefitted from behind closed doors… while other teams didn’t?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The club knows the squad needs serious investment but it's not like we don't have any good players. The problem is so many underperformed this season.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We're going to get left well behind the top 4 if the intention is to work with what we've got without 5/6 first team signings. But I wouldn't be surprised given the hole this seasons performance will have put in our finances.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The wage bill is cut by 25% PLUS a fair few leaving. All reports seem to point to ~150million plus sales being what we have to spend. We'll get in 3, no lower than that.

That being said, every manager says this before they come in. Even Klopp said this when he joined Liverpool 'This is a great club with a good team and big potential. Fast players, strong players, good defenders, flexible, creative.' - He pretty swiftly cleared out a lot of the club over the next two/three windows.
Yeah he's never going to come in and slag the squad off.

I just wonder whether targets will be limited this year due to our current situation. Might need to take 1 year off and recoup finances, try to push into top 4 next year then go big again next summer.

We shall see.

Irwin99

Sancho, Ronaldo, Rashford, the 3 main centre backs, are all good players but is there the core of a league winning side there with a few additions? Not sure.

I guess my concern is that those finishes require some context and it's a context that will largely be removed with ten Hag's own tactical set up. The key elements to those finishes were a low block against good teams, Martial, Bruno, Greenwood and Rashford being in (mostly) good form, and our rivals going through various problems. Worth noting that we squeezed 3rd place right at the end of the season with a pretty dismal 66 points.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I am worried that Ten Hag and Murtough are thinking that the squad has huge potential,if thats the case then its curtains for us and taxi for Ten Hag.
Very concerning but I’m hoping it’s just posturing.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
We probably have 3-4 solid first teamers with another 3-4 good squad players to have. The rest is shocking in terms of lack of quality and experience.

UpWithRivers

Realistically we can't get 15 new players and ship 20 out. He will ultimately have to work with the majority we already have and some of them have/had potential and some are just average at best - either way he has to keep them on side till he can ship some of these guys on. Imagine a new boss in any line of work coming in and saying "You're all shit and see no hope for any of you"
Why do people keep saying this. Thats exactly what top clubs and business would do. They may not say it in those words i.e you are sht. But there will be massive redundancies and cost cutting. At top clubs like Real/Barca as well there will be consequences. Even if you are forced to keep staff you will not be blowing smoke up thier arses. Oh 2 years ago you were all great and John my guy where are you? Everyone this is John he got employee of the month 2 years ago. Lets all hear it for John!. No one gives a fk. Thats the past. Lets talk about now.

Marty1968

What else would you expect him to say? He's not going to come in and say none are good enough. Even under Ole, there were some good performers so under a proper coach i'm sure he can get some to perform much better than the past 12 months have shown. This isn't Championship Manager so can't just ditch them all and buy everyone in a 3 month window.

Rake

I don’t really get the second tweet. Is he saying that United benefitted from behind closed doors… while other teams didn’t?
Essentially, this means some of our players perform better without the added pressure of the crowd there.

I think they are bringing up last season because we can't realistically make more than 4-5 signings, if that, so many of the current players will have to be in the squad.

The second place finish last year was a bigger overperformance that the underperformance in the current one.

Acquire Me

They obviously can’t go out and say we need to replace most of the current players. It can’t be done. It would upset everyone. We would see agents and clubs milking us dry.

Get a grip lads.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's just what they have to say.

They need to work with a good chunk of these players next season, so they have to make positive noises about them. If ETH/Murtough said "the squad is trash and we'll need to get rid of most of them before we're successful" then it alienates the players who remain while also lowering the mood around the club even further, which is counter-productive.

Whoever is left after this summer's clear-out, the manager needs to build a positive relationship with them and instil as much confidence into them as possible. Even if a lot of them will also need to go in the medium term.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There is plenty of potential in the squad, dumb to suggest there isn't. A lot of work is also needed with signings to improve certain positions, but any coach worth their salt is going to look at all the underperforming players and feel they should be getting an improvement out of them. Rashford not long ago was looking like an excellent player, some injuries and a lack of confidence later and he's looking like a pub player. Of course ETH will want to get the best out of him through just coaching and man management. Maguire, Shaw, Bruno especially can improve individually and Ten Hag will look to get them back to their best. Maybe they aren't title winning players (though maybe they can be), but they are certainly a hell of a lot better than they showed and can be very good players on their own. Sancho obviously is incredibly highly rated and we'll look to get the best out of him. Varane has won everything there is to win and isn't old, just needs to stay fit. Some other useful, decent players like Fred who in the right system can be a huge use with his qualities. Ronaldo of course with his goalscoring. We have a squad with holes, but also a lot of good pieces. It needs complimentary pieces to plug the gaps and a coach to get them all motivated and clicking together. Also needs to trim the fat, as having a bloated squad really drags it down and brings in frictions like we've seen.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
If Arnold/Murtough came out and said we were about to begin a massive rebuild and will be buying loads of players. The same journalists and posters slagging them off for these comments would be calling them for being too open and saying that's the reason why every club is taking us to the cleaners in negotiations.

Last edited:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Hardly going to come out and say they are all wank are they.

Wont be replacing the lot of them.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We probably have 3-4 solid first teamers with another 3-4 good squad players to have. The rest is shocking in terms of lack of quality and experience.
So much for huge potential talk, not to mention we slept through whole winter window and our rivals got stronger, while they're still planning on getting stronger this summer, we're here listening to another episode of 'Watch This Space'.

mctrials23

Come on, the reality is that 2nd place flattered us and this season was a shit show. Its not either/or. We rode our luck last season and relied on the issues of the other clubs around us but we would still have come top 4 IMO, just not 2nd. This season was just a nightmare and not representative of what these players are capable of if they pull their fingers out and get behind the manager/coaches.

With the right signings and buy in from the existing players next season I think we should easily be looking to get top 4.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Come on, the reality is that 2nd place flattered us and this season was a shit show. Its not either/or. We rode our luck last season and relied on the issues of the other clubs around us but we would still have come top 4 IMO, just not 2nd. This season was just a nightmare and not representative of what these players are capable of if they pull their fingers out and get behind the manager/coaches.

With the right signings and buy in from the existing players next season I think we should easily be looking to get top 4.
It is obviously true that 2nd place flattered us last season.

But the point of these quotes is to try and reset a positive mood and for ETH to build a positive relationship with the players who remain. And saying "this squad finished second last season so it has a lot of potential" obviously serves that goal better than saying "this squad finshed second last year, though obviously that flattered them and was quite a lucky outcome on the previous manager's part, so there's maybe more potential than we saw this year but not that much more as they're not really that good".

It's important to remember that neither ETH nor Murtough are obliged to be in any way truthful in terms of their public assessment of the squad. They can happily lie and spin as much as they need to in order to serve their interests.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Can't wait to see McFred bossing our midfield next season, with Rashford Martial reunited together to form formidable attack up front.

gza the genius

What would you all like them to say?

"Yeah we've got about 3-4 decent players. The rest of them are horrible and any players we're stuck with next season will only be because we can't bin the whole squad in one summer."

That’d certainly help us sell and buy, and have a nice positive outlook going in to next season.

Hoof the ball

United under Rangnick:

De Gea
Dalot
Telles
Varane
Maguire
McTominay
Fred
Bruno
Rashford
Ronaldo
Elanga

United under Ten Hag:

De Gea
Dalot
Telles
Varane
Maguire
McTominay
Fred
Bruno
Rashford
Ronaldo
Elanga

:nervous:

TrueRed79

He's starting from a similar position as Klopp did. ETH is worse off than Klopp IMO, but we are looking at similar timeframe for gutting squad and ETH getting things in order. So no wholesale changes, but definitely getting rid of troublemakers and the useless lazy twats that are knocking about the place is paramount. Should see improvement by xmas and following season for tangible improvement.