Murtough and Ten Hag on Utd squad

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You sound angry in this thread. Take a day off for yourself. That you think this squad of ours is 2/3 levels above Liverpools back then is downright fkin laughable.
Look at that squad again and give me a combined team. I’ll wait.

Hawks2008

McFred midfield, Shaw and Rashford running the left flank,and can't forget captain fantastic at the back :devil:

Loads of potential there, what could possibly go wrong?

DSG

If he priorities defence over that attack we are absolutely screwed. Our defence is far less of an issue than the attack and midfield.
Bizarre take.

We were 13th in goals against and 8th in goals for… not saying the attack doesn’t need help, but the defense was atrocious last season. I believe it was our worst goals against record in the premier league era!

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Ha! Imaging Martial being a hard worker under ETH is the last thing I was expecting to hear today.
Obviously his past is there as evidence but he’s also had good periods under the right environment. He just needs to focus more and if disciplined then there is a good player in there somewhere. It’s also not like anyone else is dying to take him off our hands and considering our shortage in forward positions, we do need him as a backup if nothing else.

MalaysianRed7

It genuinely does not matter what a manager says at the end of the day. Ole gave child-like over-positive press conferences and was terrible. Ralf gave very honest press conferences that I loved but guess what, was even worse. Fergie said that Phil Jones might become the best player in our history and compared him to Duncan Edwards.

Couldn’t care less what Erik or Murtough say. Actions speak louder than words.

SAF is the GOAT

[Manchester United Fans’ Forum Minutes Friday 29th April 2022] Richard Arnold : 'I can assure you that we share that frustration very intensely within the club.
But we also feel confidence that change is coming because of the action being taken to drive long-term success. "

Quotes From Richard Arnold :

• Suffice to say, we are not happy with where we are in terms of
    performance on the pitch.
  • We understand fans are frustrated and want to see change and improvement.
    I can assure you that we share that frustration very intensely within the club.
  • But we also feel confidence that change is coming because of the action
    being taken to drive long-term success.
  • The appointment of Erik ten Hag was the most visible example of that action,
    and the most important. We’re pleased to have got that done early and we
    can’t wait for Erik to get started.
  • Success won’t be achieved overnight but we are determined to get there, and
    we will be relentless in our efforts to achieve it
  • The support of fans will be crucial, and we accept that we have further work to
    do to strengthen that relationship, aided by the work of this Forum.

Quotes from John Murtough

Manager appointment part of wider positive change

• Early managerial appointment provides clarity and confidence for next season
    and beyond
  • Significant improvement needed after very disappointing season; MU
    standards & expectations not met
  • Fresh start under ETH as soon as season ends
ETH unanimous choice after rigorous process

• All agreed ETH the best candidate from a strong field; the one most closely
    aligned with MU identity and aims:
  • Proven winner
  • Attractive, attacking style of play
  • Commitment to youth
  • Improves players and develops teams
Most impressive candidate during the interviews

• Set out clear vision for long-term success
  • Showed passion, energy and enthusiasm for the challenge
Experienced but still on an upward career curve

• Over 40 UCL games (inc SF); big club experience at Bayern
• Took Ajax to first semi-finals in 12 years

Long-term vision to build a successful, exciting team capable of competing
for titles

• ETH will aim to maximise potential of existing players in near-term while
    building towards long-term success
  • Squad strengthening & renewal this summer
  • ETH will be a key voice in this process, together with recruitment department
    to identify and secure targets
  • There remains huge potential in existing squad, and strong Academy talent
    coming through
Football structure & support functions

• Ongoing changes in scouting & recruitment
  • Hidden’ changes to support functions (eg upgraded first team nutrition)
    reflects wider transformation in culture & performance Football infrastructure
  • Master Planners (KSS) appointed for major redevelopment to ensure training
    facilities remain world-class
  • Interim upgrades under way at Carrington in advance of long-term
    redevelopment, involving significant investment

Quotes from Nic Cox, Head of Academy :
Academy thriving

• A lot of work and investment has been put into strengthening the Academy
    over recent years and we feel the fruits of that are now showing through.
    Players reaching first team
  • We have had the highest percentage of game time for homegrown players in
    the Premier League since the start of 20/21 (27.6%).
  • 4 debuts (Heaton, Iqbal, Savage and Garnacho) this season
  • Elanga established himself as a regular starter
  • Most productive Academy in England – our aim is to preserve and strengthen
    that status
Youth Cup run

• It’s been a fantastic journey and a great development opportunity. The players
    have learnt so much that will benefit them for their careers regardless of what
    happens in the final.
  • The group represents Manchester United with a core of local players from the
    north-west of England, supplemented by the best in England and then some
    cherry-picked from European clubs at 16 – all trained and coached to thrive
    together.
  • We’re proud of the way we integrate such a diverse international group into
    the cohesive group, with fantastic team spirit which anyone who has been to a
    Youth Cup game this season will have witnessed.
Innovative environment

• We are always open to new ideas and approaches to strengthen the
    Academy and its culture, enrich the experience of the young people within it,
    and provide a holistic development programme
  • Pro experience loans (like work experience for Academy players)
  • Paul McShane role
  • Friends of the Academy
  • Mental Health Awareness Month
  • Games programme
Strengthening our staff

• Recruitment of top-class people is integral to maintaining a strong Academy
  • We’ve improved our sports science and operations departments, and hired
    excellent coaches at age groups fans wouldn’t necessarily know about.
Close links with first team

• Few clubs have as strong a link between the Academy and the first team as
    Manchester United.
  • Great that we’ve recruited a new manager in Erik ten Hag who has a proven
    commitment to developing young players, and comes from a club which has a
    very similar emphasis on youth.
  • Everyone in the Academy is looking forward to working with him.
Positive outlook

• We’re in a great place having made fantastic strides over the last few years,
    but there is always further improvement which can be made.
  • We remain the world leading youth development environment and the
    Academy of opportunity.
  • We enrich the lives of our boys and strive to continue the long tradition of
    developing Manchester United people who can form the core of a winning first
    team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Despite multiple sources saying it will? Ok thanks for the insider info, I’ll believe what you’re saying and not the journalists who report differently :yawn:
source? last time I read his won’t change like the rest of the squad

Daengophile

This message was probably aimed at the players.

The truth of the matter is going to be in which players are moved on and new players arriving.

The summer transfer window opens in a couple of weeks and I hope both sides of the business (in and out) have their ducks in a row when the starting pistol is fired

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
source? last time I read his won’t change like the rest of the squad
A Marca article that openly says it is taking it's info from the Daily Mail is pretty sketchy by itself. Especially when the Mail article says "some" players "could" lose "upto" 25% and then use Ronaldo as an example of what could possibly happen because he is one of the highest paid players. Generally in English journalism these are all key signs of intense speculation, bullshit and clickbait.

Red_toad

A Marca article that openly says it is taking it's info from the Daily Mail is pretty sketchy by itself. Especially when the Mail article says "some" players "could" lose "upto" 25% and then use Ronaldo as an example of what could possibly happen because he is one of the highest paid players. Generally in English journalism these are all key signs of intense speculation, bullshit and clickbait.
Was also reported last time we missed out champions league. Any reason to think why clubs wouldn’t protect themselves against a loss of revenue? Much like relegated clubs reduce wages as it’s all in their contracts.
My whole point was that spiralling wages would not be an issue, as I pointed out, we have champions league clauses and have gotten rid of a lot of high earners. But some people still wish to claim it’s an issue. Unless we bring in some big hitters on big wages, we’re fine with the wage bill, our transfer budget is pretty much the biggest question mark.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Was also reported last time we missed out champions league. Any reason to think why clubs wouldn’t protect themselves against a loss of revenue? Much like relegated clubs reduce wages as it’s all in their contracts.
My whole point was that spiralling wages would not be an issue, as I pointed out, we have champions league clauses and have gotten rid of a lot of high earners. But some people still wish to claim it’s an issue. Unless we bring in some big hitters on big wages, we’re fine with the wage bill, our transfer budget is pretty much the biggest question mark.
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I don't know what United players have in their contracts about not making the Champions League and anything I suggest would be pure guess work.

But I do know that the source you posted as proof that Ronaldo was taking a 25% wage cut was not exactly tier 1 or even tier 7!

RkkMan

I doubt Martial or VdB will be sold.

They'll get another chance under ETH and they may just come good this time.

Specially with Cavani leaving, Martial could become backup if we have trouble signing a decent backup ST. I think ETH’s coaching will do him good.
We're talking about the same Martial that's completely forgotten how to play football over the last 2yrs and suddenly became so injury prone?
He's been terrible here and at Sevilla despite being in the perfect league to thrive with zero pressure and original Ronaldo's cosign.
If at 26 turning 27 he's not shown jack I don't know what black magic you think makes him good again overnight. He's damaged beyond repair.
And we'll buy a ST one way or another.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
McFred midfield, Shaw and Rashford running the left flank,and can't forget captain fantastic at the back :devil:

Loads of potential there, what could possibly go wrong?
Can't wait till ten hag gets called out for being a shit manager followed by coordinated leaks from "sources within man utd".

You know its inevitable with these players, they're professionals by now at throwing managers under the bus.

Red_toad

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I don't know what United players have in their contracts about not making the Champions League and anything I suggest would be pure guess work.

But I do know that the source you posted as proof that Ronaldo was taking a 25% wage cut was not exactly tier 1 or even tier 7!
I’d say it’d be bad business sense for clubs not to protect themselves for loss of income and bonus’s are certainly part of player contracts. Our players get larger wages for champions league qualification. So whoever is reporting it is very likely to be on good ground to do so. I didn’t say Ronaldo was getting a 25% pay cut, nor is it posted in the link as a fact, but he will miss out on bonuses and thus reduce the clubs wage bills. As will Matic, Pogba, Mata etc etc etc all leaving the club.

wolvored

Conte is a proven winner who could have easily achieved our season objectives. Not every managerial appointment is a happily ever after type of appointment, Madrid and Chelsea go through more managers than us but they never really fall off a cliff like we do. The sooner we accept that Sir Alex was a one-off the better for everyone.
Even Fergie took 4 seasons to win FA cup and 7 to win the league. He would have been sacked if he had have been hired in the Glazer years. Lets hope TH can buck the trend.

LoneStar

It’s funny how any negative story is believed to be the absolute truth, while anything positive is dismissed as false on here. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Expecting any big club to sell all their players in one season is utter madness, not sure what some are smoking here. Ten Hag will have to work with some of them and get the best out of them next season, so of course he will say positive things to keep them motivated.

Actions speak louder than words, so let’s see what happens next season. I don’t think every single player we have is toxic or can’t play football. If the manager thinks he can get a tune out of some of them, then fair game. I’ll believe what I see on the pitch.

Also, I am not sure which is worse - football journalism (and the journalists who spout any nonsense) or the fans who lap it up. Probably the latter, cause its the problem while the former is more of a symptom.

I don't disagree with that. Our true level is below the behind closed doors 2nd place, but well above this season's showing. Almost all our players were playing below their true level. ETH's job first and foremost is to get the most out of what he's got. If he doesn't know what the current lot can really do he can't identify where to improve.

Daengophile

Was there any truth in the suggestion that Martial was offered half the value of his remaining contract to sling his hook?

justsomebloke

I don’t really get the second tweet. Is he saying that United benefitted from behind closed doors… while other teams didn’t?
Yeah, that's the thing now from Luckhurst. 20/21 was just some kind of mirage, so nothing that happened then counts.

justsomebloke

I don't disagree with that. Our true level is below the behind closed doors 2nd place, but well above this season's showing. Almost all our players were playing below their true level. ETH's job first and foremost is to get the most out of what he's got. If he doesn't know what the current lot can really do he can't identify where to improve.
I keep being fascinated by this line of reasoning. Why, exactly? How did the special circumstances of that season benefit United in a way that it did not benefit others? In fact, if anything United were more disadvantaged than others, having had the shortest summer break and preseason among all the teams in the PL. And how the feck do you determine "our true level" on that basis?

And anyway, it's not like 20/21 was a stunningly dominant romp. Tactically and structurally, most would say we were undercooked (and a lot of people would put it much more strongly than that). In terms of individual performance, you had Shaw who took things to a new level, but also some players who notably underperformed relative to expected levels - de Gea, Martial, Lingard, Williams.

It seems pretty clear to me that the 20/21 team hardly maxed out on its potential. That doesn't automatically mean it makes sense to continue to build on the same core though. There are obvious shortcomings and gaps in the current composition of the squad, and also when things have gone as badly downhill as they did this season, that speaks to a need for fairly far-reaching change.

Completely irrelevant. We need 9 starters that compete with the best teams in Europe, week in week out. It's not about plucking 9 out of Czech Republic or Japan for modest fees. That's why it will be built over Ten Haag's tenure, 4 or 5 names at a time.
As I said, Rangers got to the Europa league final in 2022 same as Manchester United in 2021, both sides losing on penalties in the final which tends to suggest that both clubs are competing at the same level in Europe. Celtic spending less than half of what Manchester United spent on AWB were able to recruit wisely, introduce 9 starters and win the league comfortably. Good coaching, careful spending and building a team spirit, exactly what Manchester United have been missing for at least 9 years.
There is nothing irrelevant about it, it is an example of best practice right on our doorstep, but hey it cannot be done because we do not have the scouting knowledge, the tactical knowledge and the team spirit.
We have a knew coach, new scouts and hopefully a new team spirit. Be smart, pick up free transfers, pick up young hungry players from Holland, France, Czech republic, lower leagues, wherever. Liverpool are in the champions league final on Sunday and just signed a player from the Fulham in the championship, but no we are Manchester United and we have to pay £50- 70m for superstars who do not perform to prove how financially strong we are.
If you keep doing what you are doing you keep getting what you are getting, spending £150-£200m every July on 3 players who underwhelm and underperform is not the answer. We can easily ship out 10-15 players this summer and we need to, replace them with 8 competent professionals who want to be here and want to put some effort in. And stop worrying about players running down their contracts and wanting to leave, if they don't want to be here let them go. Chelsea are losing half their defence out of contract this season but I can almost guarantee they finish above us next season. Time for a real clear out and a real change of attitude throughout the club.

I keep being fascinated by this line of reasoning. Why, exactly? How did the special circumstances of that season benefit United in a way that it did not benefit others? In fact, if anything United were more disadvantaged than others, having had the shortest summer break and preseason among all the teams in the PL. And how the feck do you determine "our true level" on that basis?

And anyway, it's not like 20/21 was a stunningly dominant romp. Tactically and structurally, most would say we were undercooked (and a lot of people would put it much more strongly than that). In terms of individual performance, you had Shaw who took things to a new level, but also some players who notably underperformed relative to expected levels - de Gea, Martial, Lingard, Williams.

It seems pretty clear to me that the 20/21 team hardly maxed out on its potential. That doesn't automatically mean it makes sense to continue to build on the same core though. There are obvious shortcomings and gaps in the current composition of the squad, and also when things have gone as badly downhill as they did this season, that speaks to a need for fairly far-reaching change.
Because our squad has a lack of leaders and we crumble under pressure from any direction, especially the fans. The players think the fans are against them, their comments in the press show that. When the fans were not present they were much less susceptible to all this.

That, and Bruno dragged us to results we did not deserve.

wolvored

Was there any truth in the suggestion that Martial was offered half the value of his remaining contract to sling his hook?
I saw that about a month ago in an article as well. i look at newsnow so cant state specifically what the media source was.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

This is from the financial report:
Employee benefit expenses

Employee benefit expenses for the year ended 30 June 2021 were £322.6 million, an increase of £38.6 million, or 13.6%, over the year ended 30 June 2020, primarily due to contracted increases in player salaries as a result of participation in the UEFA Champions League.

wolvored

Because our squad has a lack of leaders and we crumble under pressure from any direction, especially the fans. The players think the fans are against them, their comments in the press show that. When the fans were not present they were much less susceptible to all this.

True. Before Bruno we were on course to finish anywhere between 6th-10th. The football was awful.

justsomebloke

Feeble stuff. If we had a unique lack of leadership and crumpled under any pressure, how come we again and again came back from deficits to win? And if the fans are the problem, how come we did considerably better at home than away this season (we're 5th on the home table, 9th on the away table)?

And you know, Bruno is part of the team. It's not like if you have an exceptional player, that 's somehow extraneous to what the team delivers.

stevoc

I don’t really get the second tweet. Is he saying that United benefitted from behind closed doors… while other teams didn’t?
I've seen him mention it a few times now on Twitter and in articles. It's an utterly bizarre opinion that he never actually expands upon.

stevoc

Liverpool had a defensive injury crisis that's how we moved from 3rd to 2nd. It had nothing to do with bizarre theories related to behind closed doors matches.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Honestly I wasn't trying to prove anything except La Marca is not a good source to base your beliefs on.
I was just giving you the best source possible. Otherwise in general I agree with the point that you made.

justsomebloke

Luckhurst's weird theories aside, there's no getting away from it feeling seriously wrong when we get a response like that to a season as bad as the one we just had. Whether it's the squad or the management or both that are to blame, how can you look at that and then speak of the situation with such relative complacency? "Significant improvement needed"? What sort of signal does that send to the players? I agree that there are almost certainly players who were awful this season who has the ability to redeem themselves and stay part of the project and I also agree that it's not realistic to change half the squad immediately, but surely this is to wildly overstep in the opposite direction?

I'm really starting to lose confidence in Murtough. He had the wrong strategy in bringing in an interim GM, he made the wrong choice for one with Rangnick, he's on record in December stating his confidence in the squad and now he's confirming that view. What is there to indicate he's got good judgment really?

Last edited:

cyberman

I am worried that Ten Hag and Murtough are thinking that the squad has huge potential,if thats the case then its curtains for us and taxi for Ten Hag.
I keep seeing this, why is last year finish false? The league finishes of this and last are stupidly similar, Its only Utd falling that pushed everybody up a place or two. Last season wasn't as mad or random as its made out to be.