Murtough and Ten Hag on Utd squad

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's starting from a similar position as Klopp did. ETH is worse off than Klopp IMO, but we are looking at similar timeframe for gutting squad and ETH getting things in order. So no wholesale changes, but definitely getting rid of troublemakers and the useless lazy twats that are knocking about the place is paramount. Should see improvement by xmas and following season for tangible improvement.
How is he worse off than Klopp? He has a greater challenge considering Pep and Klopp are at their peaks with their squads right now, but looking individually at United vs Liverpool, we have a lot more pieces with potential IMO (like Sancho) while also having more money to spend. Don't really see that as being worse off, though it's a bigger challenge due to the competition.

Woodzy

It's far more likely that we know we have to replace almost every single player in the squad but can realistically only replace 3-4 each summer with new signings.

Loon

:lol:
It sorta sounds like they're backtracking from Rangnick's "multiple players required" because they don't have the funding for that.

SER19

Solskjaer maximised their potential. It was about 20 points shy of city and went out of CL in group. That's as good as this group gets.

Sell and buy.

F-A-C-T-S

I am worried that Ten Hag and Murtough are thinking that the squad has huge potential,if thats the case then its curtains for us and taxi for Ten Hag.
He's hardly going to come out and say 'All my players are shite except Ronaldo is he?

FerociousCorgis

anything less than 3 starting lineup caliber players is frankly unacceptable. Should be a decent amount of wage bill being freed up and this squad has just been shit for way too long. neither fred or mctominay should be our starting cms, both should be squad options. Not going to think this is FM where you could bring in 10 plus players if you wanted, but man if we barely bring anyone in this shit is gonna get old fast.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's right, there is quality in the squad, the majority of the team are massively underperforming and we've had very little from Sancho and Varane who were big money signings. Add to that the horrible season that Maguire, Shaw and Rashford have had, that's half the outfield team.
Exactly. We will see lot of moaning throughout summer and season as what people expect won't happen in reality. As it is, we are losing around 10 players, we won't be signing entire new squad.

Also like you said, there are good players who underperformed, lets see how they step up this season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There are about 4/ 5 players within the squad we know have very good potential and can perform to a much higher and consistent standard.

We also have 2,3 good youth players coming through where you'd imagine they'll be integrated into the squad.

I'm confident we'll make a few good additions that will improve the first 11 and Hag ,plus his staff, can get down and fine tune this team for the upcoming campaign.
Integrate a style, get the fitness levels up, boost morale and go from there.

This is a process. It'll take 3 years, imo, to get us in a competitive, consistent place again.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

I am worried that Ten Hag and Murtough are thinking that the squad has huge potential,if thats the case then its curtains for us and taxi for Ten Hag.
This is how management should always talk about the squad.

Ralf came and said that "The squad need open heart surgery" and similar quotes that all outright stated that they needed several players in key positions to replace current players in the middle of the season. - It ended with Ralf alienating the squad and any attempt at uniting the player group never even started.

Outwards you only speak positive, be critical of yourself, but praise the team. Only be critical when shock upsets happen, like losing to Yeowil Town or 4-1 to Watford away. Then you can say "The team failed to deliver". Outside of that: Always take the blame. Lead.

The club has already stated that they are buyers this season. Everyone both knows and understands that.

What Ten Hag and Murtough achieves by saying that they believe in the squad is that you create less clickbait drama for media to latch on to, and you avoid criticizing the players in public. Never criticize when you dont have to. Ever.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The team clearly has potential. United finished 6th with a poorly coached team, a clear lack of direction on the field, seemingly very little leadership out of it, a team that most of us think is unbalanced and not top coaching in the last 5-6 years. So yeah, ETH first mission should be to fix immediate issues and help more than a handful of players find their game, we didn't hire a glorified personal shopper.

Abraxas

I think you just have to use your noggin to realise that stating that a squad of 20 odd players plus whatever youth we have is useless is not the way to go. Firstly because we have to keep some of them for the next few seasons, and secondly because it's probably not true.

A few impatient fans are going to have to realise that due to the finances and scale of the task, it will take a period of time. So what sense is there in our head football strategists coming out slaughtering everyone. They know we need to improve but it's better for now to keep these players onside with the new manager.

Devil may care

There's very little potential in this squad, too many technically mediocre players and too many with weak mentalities, hopefully this is just PR bullshit to prep up ones like Sancho who actually is much better than he's been able to show so far.

vlad93

Lets see if ten hag can polish turd next season.

These players will make ten hag look shite, even if by some miracle ten hag improved them then we won't win anything because our players are mentally weak chokers.

As neville said recently, they're broken and will fall apart at the first sign of adversity.
Chokers. Mourinho sniffs then out like a portuegese blood hound. Narcissises them and then they leave much easier. Will ten hag feed them ice cream or scoop them out.

NewYorkRed

Haha what do you expect them to say? “Everyone at the club is shit, we need a new team and have tons of money to spend.” Right, because that worked out so well last time….

Revaulx

Well I hope you’re all going to be proved right about the existing players having “quality” and “potential”. I imagine the key things ETH will be looking at is:
  1. Are they capable of achieving and maintaining a much higher level of fitness/intensity than they have managed to date?
  2. Are they capable of following instructions?
  3. Have they got an acceptable level of technical ability?
I’m expecting a lot of appearances next season from players who can cope with 1 and 2 but maybe aren’t so great on 3. This is bound to upset fans of players with large personal fan clubs.

Crashoutcassius

This is how management should always talk about the squad.

Ralf came and said that "The squad need open heart surgery" and similar quotes that all outright stated that they needed several players in key positions to replace current players in the middle of the season. - It ended with Ralf alienating the squad and any attempt at uniting the player group never even started.

Outwards you only speak positive, be critical of yourself, but praise the team. Only be critical when shock upsets happen, like losing to Yeowil Town or 4-1 to Watford away. Then you can say "The team failed to deliver". Outside of that: Always take the blame. Lead.

The club has already stated that they are buyers this season. Everyone both knows and understands that.

What Ten Hag and Murtough achieves by saying that they believe in the squad is that you create less clickbait drama for media to latch on to, and you avoid criticizing the players in public. Never criticize when you dont have to. Ever.
When mourinho did it fans saw it for what it was, mourinho shifting blame to try to save his own brand. For some reason when Ralf does it fans say it is his job to expose players publicly instead of trying to win games and other wierd things. Hard to unravel the psychology of it but one thing is clear, as you said, it has translated to worse results and performances and not better.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I don't think Hag will follow Ralf's method of " You're all sh*t. Now win me some games" .

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
That's sam bollocks. I never read it. The tweets dont exist for me.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Do people expect ETH to say: "Maybe I can get something out of Shaw, Rashford and Fred, but Telles, McTominay and Elanga are championship players"?

Of course he has some players he thinks can improve and others he doesn't rate, which he'll have a chance to verify in pre season if he hasn't already written them off completely.

If someone believes all our players are shit and there's not a few underperforming ones that can improve, they are delusional.

mu4c_20le

When mourinho did it fans saw it for what it was, mourinho shifting blame to try to save his own brand. For some reason when Ralf does it fans say it is his job to expose players publicly instead of trying to win games and other wierd things. Hard to unravel the psychology of it but one thing is clear, as you said, it has translated to worse results and performances and not better.
Because one knows what he's doing, the other does not.

I mean.. They are not wrong. Obviously the center of our team needs some improving but a solid defender and midfielder would help us a lot. We have a fairly decent side but being held back by not having a proper backbone. There is for sure potential in the team.

Moriarty

No CL and spiralling wages will mean there isn't a big warchest to play with this summer, we have to accept that.

We might get in 1/2/3 but it won't be a big change at all.

This year will be about getting the fitness right, finding a good team shape and organisation IMO. We need that before we can progress.
Depends on how many players we sell and for how much. Pogba's wages will be off the books, Lingard's too and a few others whose contracts are about to expire. But yes, I don't see more that a few new faces coming in.

MUFC OK

Just please sort the fecking midfield out. Mctominay is relegation standard.

DanClancy

He's starting from a similar position as Klopp did. ETH is worse off than Klopp IMO, but we are looking at similar timeframe for gutting squad and ETH getting things in order. So no wholesale changes, but definitely getting rid of troublemakers and the useless lazy twats that are knocking about the place is paramount. Should see improvement by xmas and following season for tangible improvement.
United probably have a better squad then what Klopp inherited although those he wanted to get rid of weren't on massive wages.

There's no easy fix, this is going to take a few years. He's going to have to keep players he probably doesn't want too but you cant get rid of everyone this summer. From what Klopp inherited only 4 players were there 2 and a half years later. Suspect Ten Hag has a few more then that he'd be happy keeping.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
People need stop freaking out on public statement. They cant cone out and say the most valuable asset of the football club is rubbish. Its not how you do things

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I mean.. They are not wrong. Obviously the center of our team needs some improving but a solid defender and midfielder would help us a lot. We have a fairly decent side but being held back by not having a proper backbone. There is for sure potential in the team.
Also being held back by not having a good manager, coaching staff and playing identity.

I agree we obviously need a backbone throughout the side though.

avgp_1

ETH, noted for his coaching, would obviously like to show that he can improve players. Its one of the biggest metrics in comparing him to the previous management.

Obviously he cant make AwB play out of pressure or get Mctominay to ping it around, but those with traits he likes he might be able to get them to a proper level. He doesnt need the checkbook to fix each and every position

Kaos

I don't disagree with most of what he said, but if we start the season with McFred in midfield and Rashford stinking up the right wing, then I'll lose all hope from the get go.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Klopp cleared Liverpool out completely within 2 years. His first summer he had 13 out with 6 arrivals. The next he had a further 5 out with 4 in. So 18 out 10 in, job done. That's how you do it properly. None of this making do with 'existing potential' nonsense.

Reactions: Fortitude

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I don't disagree with most of what he said, but if we start the season with McFred in midfield and Rashford stinking up the right wing, then I'll lose all hope from the get go.
If the aim is top 4 forever, then it could be on the cards. Shaw with Bissaka, McFred in midfield and Martial plus Rash from wings with oldie, short term striker.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Exactly. We will see lot of moaning throughout summer and season as what people expect won't happen in reality. As it is, we are losing around 10 players, we won't be signing entire new squad.

Also like you said, there are good players who underperformed, lets see how they step up this season.
Hopefully a fitness/workrate based coaching setup and a proper pre season will bond the group to work harder for each other and we don’t keep seeing the same old disillusioned leaks. We really do only need 3/4 starters but they need to be right on the money and hardworking from the off.

mu4c_20le

Klopp cleared Liverpool out completely within 2 years. His first summer he had 13 out with 6 arrivals. The next he had a further 5 out with 4 in. So 18 out 10 in, job done. That's how you do it properly. None of this making do with 'existing potential' nonsense.
Maybe four or five were seniors. The rest were youths/fringe players who never got a game.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hopefully a fitness/workrate based coaching setup and a proper pre season will bond the group to work harder for each other and we don’t keep seeing the same old disillusioned leaks. We really do only need 3/4 starters but they need to be right on the money and hardworking from the off.
Yeah, Pep didnt play Nasri and didn't even let him train with the team as he reported unfit for preseason. That should be the attitude, players should be at their peak fitness and decisions should be team oriented instead of individualism. High hopes on our style of play under ETH.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He didn't lose 13 major players
We will likely offload 10 minimum ourselves.

El Jefe

You man like them or not but Maguire, Shaw, Rashford, Bruno, AWB all had arguably their worst seasons with us since being here. I fully expect Sancho and Varane to be better also. Add 4 or 5 signings and get the players above playing much closer to their best and we'll be a much better side.

Murtough and Ten Hag are right. Now if we don't invest that will be ridiculous but we all know we will be buying players this summer. Its just a smarter approach from a squad morale perspective than wreck-it telling the whole squad they are shite.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Maybe four or five were seniors. The rest were youths/fringe players who never got a game.
And even if they were I imagine most of their first team members he moved on weren't on contracts comparable to our first team players.
Unfortunately that's the crap ETH has to deal with. Tidying up the mess of the previous regime and Woodward.

Longshanks

What you mean we are not selling the entire squad and replacing then with hipster players with the caf seal of approval?

There will be departures and incoming this summer im sure, probably more out than in. But we also know that alot of players that are currently here will be heavily involved next season, im not sure the best bit of management would be to come in and say everyone is rubbish we need ten new players before I can even think about getting some sort of success, certainly not publicly anyway.

Confidence is key to getting the most out of players, confidence in themselves aswell as confidence in you. There will be occasions to remind players to keep to standards and hand out hairdryers but you have a far better chance with players who are confident and like you, then the bollockings might have an affect. If you destroy there confidence and they don't like you then try handing out bollockings to get an improvement your gonna get nothing but backbiting and feet dragging.

The players that simply are not good enough will have to be moved on at some point but until they can be replaced with better quality ETH is gonna have to try and maximise there potential.

The one that have serous attitude issues hopefully the majority will be going this summer regardless, and the ones that are left will hopefully be in the minority and not such an issue.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah, Pep didnt play Nasri and didn't even let him train with the team as he reported unfit for preseason. That should be the attitude, players should be at their peak fitness and decisions should be team oriented instead of individualism. High hopes on our style of play under ETH.
We really need a conductor in the middle. It’s the biggest flaw in the team apart from stupidly low workrate and as you said playing as individuals. We will be fine I reckon with a few smart signings