Music Music 2018

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I've never actually listened much to Mythic Sunship (saw them warm up for King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard once) but they have just released a new album and it's definitely striking a chord with me. At least I can focus while listening to it (except for this post just now). It's instrumental psych, rock, jazz maybe even some metal in there. Anyway... here's the album:

EDIT: It really gets into its groove around the seven minute mark after someone has been wanking his saxophone off for a while.

Maagge

Aye, fair bit of hype around it and I can see why. If I was a 17 year old from the UK this album would be the absolute shit.

It's also kinda interesting that this album comes a couple of months after Parquet Courts' Wide Awake, another excellent socially & politically charged alt/punk album. Maybe this is the upside to a lot of young people feeling pissed off about the way their various countries are going?
The IDLES record is still growing on me. And as you say Parquet Courts released yet another great album in Wide Awake! I really think Savage is a great lyricist, but he's shown that in the past as well.
As you say a lot of good music coming out which is politically charged. Protomartyr has done well the past few years as well.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The IDLES record is still growing on me. And as you say Parquet Courts released yet another great album in Wide Awake! I really think Savage is a great lyricist, but he's shown that in the past as well.
As you say a lot of good music coming out which is politically charged. Protomartyr has done well the past few years as well.
Yep, really like that Idles album. Like I said, if I was seventeen now I would probably think any band that hits topics like masculinity, racism, Brexit and class warfare with that level of ferocity was absolutely vital.

I did think Wide Awake was more immediate though. Savage has always been a great lyricist but the rythym section stepped up a notch.

Maagge

Yep, really like that Idles album. Like I said, if I was seventeen now I would probably think any band that hits topics like masculinity, racism, Brexit and class warfare with that level of ferocity was absolutely vital.
Dude, I'm 28 and I think that shit is important. Funnily enough they're kind of upsetting old punkers, "They flounce around on stage and kiss! That's not punk!", "look at the way they dress" etc. It's great.
I did think Wide Awake was more immediate though. Savage has always been a great lyricist but the rythym section stepped up a notch.
It helps that you can almost dance to a few of the tracks. Good luck doing that to some of the IDLES songs (although they might have some punk anthem type of quality).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

A lot of twitter seems to dislike Grimes now but she's still alright by me.