Music Music of 2020

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
New albums from Tame Impala, King Krule and Grimes. The Grimes album sounds particularly good on first listen - looking forward to giving it a real hammering.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Frayle and Acid Mammoth have put out great albums already, and Katatonia will finally release their new one in April.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
New albums from Tame Impala, King Krule and Grimes. The Grimes album sounds particularly good on first listen - looking forward to giving it a real hammering.
Quite like the Grimes album too. Parts have a slight NIN-lite, Marilyn Manson-lite, Adore-era Smashing Pumpkins vibe. Which wouldn't always be a good thing but works here.

Tame Impala's album isn't doing that much for me so far.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
New Protomartyr on its way, first song here.

One of my favourite bands from the last five years or so, so I'm looking forward to this.

I listened to Bambara's new record for the first time the other day. Is sounded pretty good as well.

EDIT: It's like Mark Kozelek doing post-punk or something.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Quite like the Grimes album too. Parts have a slight NIN-lite, Marilyn Manson-lite, Adore-era Smashing Pumpkins vibe. Which wouldn't always be a good thing but works here.

Tame Impala's album isn't doing that much for me so far.
Tame Impala was disappointing. Can't really think of one good song from it. It's hard to do everything yourself and when you keep re-writing everything it tends to become a mess. That's what happened on this album apparently and hopefully he learned his lesson.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tame Impala was disappointing. Can't really think of one good song from it. It's hard to do everything yourself and when you keep re-writing everything it tends to become a mess. That's what happened on this album apparently and hopefully he learned his lesson.
Yeah, it hasn't grown on me much since. Weakest of the four albums.

Acole9

Outstanding
Yeah it's as dull as dishwater. Borderlines is good and there are one or two others which are ok. The rest is just rehashed and bland.

Code Orange album came out yesterday, absolutely incredible. As close to perfection as you can get I'd say.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I might be on my own here, but recently fell in love with Drug Church and pretty excited for their new album, only this song released so far...

Code Orange album came out yesterday, absolutely incredible. As close to perfection as you can get I'd say.
I loved their last one as it came out, but after a while I just sort of stopped liking it, I figured I'd just over listened, but listening to their new one is sort of irritating to me. At times I agree its awesome, some of the riffs are just great, but all the stopping and electro stuff just feels so forced and like its just there to be a gimmick rather than making the music any better. I couldn't help but thinking "I wish I was listening to Dillinger Escape Plan instead." Will definitely give it a few more tries though, I've changed my mind on these things before.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Reminds me slightly of Midnite Vultures era Beck. Which isn't really a route many people are going to make work. Wasn't particularly blown away by the other single I heard.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Have to agree with the Tame Impala sentiment above. It's just very bland and samey, and it goes on for too long.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The 1975 are dropping the best song of the year on Thursday.

Acole9

Outstanding
Don't get me wrong I like The 1975 but I have the same feeling for them like I do Radiohead and Tool that if they were to fart down the microphone everyone would call it genius. Might just be the cynic in me.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
new Code Orange album is good. I prefer it to the last one, I like that they mix in some jarring electronic stuff, I just think it was badly done on the last record.

Squarepusher album is decent too, bar 1 or 2 tracks that can be skipped.

I haven't heard much new stuff beyond that this year yet.

Nickosaur

Grimes, The Strokes and Caribou have been the highlights for me, but i haven't really been on the look out for new music this year for some reason.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Don't get me wrong I like The 1975 but I have the same feeling for them like I do Radiohead and Tool that if they were to fart down the microphone everyone would call it genius. Might just be the cynic in me.
I actually think they’re underrated if anything. Weird!

Acole9

Outstanding
new Code Orange album is good. I prefer it to the last one, I like that they mix in some jarring electronic stuff, I just think it was badly done on the last record.

Squarepusher album is decent too, bar 1 or 2 tracks that can be skipped.

I haven't heard much new stuff beyond that this year yet.
It's funny, when I first heard Forever I was in complete awe of it. I listened to it non stop, I think almost each track was my favourite off the album at one point and then suddenly I just stopped listening to it and go back to the odd track occasionally. The new album is incredible though, probably the best I've heard this year so far.
I actually think they’re underrated if anything. Weird!
I'm surprised about that, they are pretty big now and are headline worthy of any festival. One thing I will say is the song writing has got better and better each album.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
New albums from Bob Dylan and Phoebe Bridgers in the same week is a good thing.

Nickosaur

Phoebe Bridgers' Punisher is fecking brilliant. One of my albums of the year.

Also we have a new Bright Eyes album coming out in August. Feck yes.

Dante

Average bang
My favourite albums so far this year are both Hip Hop: Run The Jewels 4 by Run The Jewels, and UNLOCKED by Denzel Curry.

I usually love Carly Rae Jepson, but I was disappointed by her Dedicated Side B.