My husband needs your help - Petition: Ban 'Free Bets'

LukesLaw

Supports
Leicester City
My husband loved football, I am a Manc but he was an avid LCFC suporter but this is about more than the colour of the shirt. He went all over the place to watch them and started many of chants when he was watching the games. He would often come home with destroyed vocal chords. City was everything to him but he also had a soft spot for my team too

However, I recently lost my husband through a gambling addiction. He was a happy man but was sucked into a hole after being given 'free bets' which ultimately cost him his life. I have made a video to explain more about what has happened.

I have set up a petition asking the government to ban 'free bets'. This is where I am asking for your support. Could you sign and possibly share it.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/587806

Sorry for asking but I am trying to gain as much support for this as possible and as he put his all into being a huge supporter, I thought I would give this a go. Signing will take 1 minute and sharing will take even less time. Hope you do not mind me posting

Last edited:

LukesLaw

Supports
Leicester City
Any signatures would be a huge help!

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Would sign if I were a UK citizen.. Sorry about your loss!

Lastwolf

Signed.

Free bets is super clear way to get round advertising restrictions and it's basically a drug pushers "first taste is free" tactic.

ROFLUTION

So sorry about your loss

Gambling ads and bookies are everywhere these days. Have to be regulated - Bookies are the worst pisstake for the 99% of people who in the long run loses money to them, as they are so advanced these days.

Even for the rare 1-2% to (in the long run) win over the bookies on odds the bookies made themselves, they limit their accounts - however it doesn't go both ways and they'll happily bankrupt people and tempt them into addictions. Hope you'll gain attention to the cause.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Signed. You should try the Sunderland forum, Celtic etc too.

RUCK4444

Very sorry for your loss.

Signed. I wish gambling advertising were banned entirely, personally I think it's a disgrace and have posted many times about it.

Oranges038

I'd sign too if I wss in the UK. Sick of seeing gambling ads everywhere.

And funnily enough, at the bottom of my page right now there is indeed a gambling ad.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Very sorry for your loss.

Signed. I wish gambling advertising were banned entirely, personally I think it's a disgrace and have posted many times about it.
100%. Gambling is such a big problem.
It amazes me that there’s betting adverts on all the time. I’m assuming because of this thread I’m getting adverts on my Instagram about free bets. Shouldn’t be allowed to happen.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
I made a living off of matched betting for 6 months when I was desperate once and many people rely on exploiting these free bets for extra money to make ends meet. I can see your point though

RUCK4444

So sorry about your loss

Gambling ads and bookies are everywhere these days. Have to be regulated - Bookies are the worst pisstake for the 99% of people who in the long run loses money to them, as they are so advanced these days.

Even for the rare 1-2% to (in the long run) win over the bookies on odds the bookies made themselves, they limit their accounts - however it doesn't go both ways and they'll happily bankrupt people and tempt them into addictions. Hope you'll gain attention to the cause.
This is exactly why I want all gambling advertising banned. They are the single most scummy industry in the world.

The sheer amount of gambling ads shoved down the throats of every watching fan, it's hard to decipher the difference between gambling and the sport itself, it's every ad, the hoardings, the sponsors on the kits, literally everywhere you look. Which is why it's very hard to rid the game of it because they pay more than other sponsors, I hope the govt. just someday pass a law that makes it illegal to advertise gambling, period.

mu4c_20le

Sorry for your loss, but me and my buddies have enjoyed the free bets for many years without issue. Agree about the advertising though, it's too much these days.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Signed. So sorry for your loss. I can't believe tabacoo advertising has been banned since the 90's, a "beach body" ad was banned a few years ago, but gambling ads, advertising one of the most addictive behaviours out there, is the go to advertising partner for so many sports.

The targeting of sports fans is really cynical too, people who watch sports probably have a higher sensitivity to risk/reward, hence why they are so engaged with their team, which makes them perfect targets for gambling addiction.

ROFLUTION

This is exactly why I want all gambling advertising banned. They are the single most scummy industry in the world.

The sheer amount of gambling ads shoved down the throats of every watching fan, it's hard to decipher the difference between gambling and the sport itself, it's every ad, the hoardings, the sponsors on the kits, literally everywhere you look. Which is why it's very hard to rid the game of it because they pay more than other sponsors, I hope the govt. just someday pass a law that makes it illegal to advertise gambling, period.
And in-game ads too.

If you have an addiction it is impossible to watch a game without getting tempted. It's such a stupid industry. A lot of people think they know better and think they can beat the bookies, but the bookies are so advanced nowadays that you have to almost make it a lifestyle with researching odd leagues if you have to beat them - and even for that you have to do some crazy stuff with multiple accounts from friends to make it worth your time invested. This unfair advantage is what people don't understand. But a lot of people (including our own redcafe betting thread) seem to think they know better than an industry who has put billions into their machinery, hired the best experts, etc.

UpWithRivers

Signed. Sorry for your loss. I applaud you for trying to make something positive out of this tragedy. Good luck.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Signed. Very sorry for your loss. Hopefully what you're doing makes a big difference :)

What are free bets, I'm not familiar with the term?
A 'free bet' is a way of enticing people (normally new customers) to bet. An example would be 'bet £20 on the first half of Manchester United vs Chelsea and we'll give you another £20 to use in the second half"

LukesLaw

Supports
Leicester City
Signed. So sorry for your loss. I can't believe tabacoo advertising has been banned since the 90's, a "beach body" ad was banned a few years ago, but gambling ads, advertising one of the most addictive behaviours out there, is the go to advertising partner for so many sports.

The targeting of sports fans is really cynical too, people who watch sports probably have a higher sensitivity to risk/reward, hence why they are so engaged with their team, which makes them perfect targets for gambling addiction.
This is why I have tried to post in as many football pages as possible. Sports fans are targeted and it is almost becoming normalised through sports, which is completely unfair and outrageous. Most people on the thread agree with what I am doing and hate tje adverts they have to sit through so it is buggers belief that more and more adverts are played and yet people hate seeing them. Our choices have been taken away from us as far as I am concerned.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What are free bets, I'm not familiar with the term?
A bet where you don't have to pay for your stake. Essentially a ploy to lure punters in, especially those who have gambling issues.

Pace Abuser

My heart goes out to you. I'm very sorry. You are clearly trying to do good in his memory. Signed.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
This is why I have tried to post in as many football pages as possible. Sports fans are targeted and it is almost becoming normalised through sports, which is completely unfair and outrageous. Most people on the thread agree with what I am doing and hate tje adverts they have to sit through so it is buggers belief that more and more adverts are played and yet people hate seeing them. Our choices have been taken away from us as far as I am concerned.
Thank you for doing this, but I hate the situation that has lead you here. People really underestimate the power of repeated advertising. Anyone who's ever had a song stuck in their head should realize how powerful visual and audible messaging is.

kentafuji

Signed.

Cant stand the gambling ads, especially now with their whole 'gamble responsibly' tag, like they actually give a shit, if they did they wouldnt offer such incentives as free bets to entice people to gamble to begin with. Then their use of sports personailities doesnt help either.

Cockney-Red

I've signed this petition.

Good luck with it, I agree with the concept (of trying to ban it) as I know plenty of people who first got in to online gambling through 'free bets'

LukesLaw

Supports
Leicester City
Thank you all so much for taking the time to sign the petition and send me such amazingly supportive messages. Honestly, some of them have lifted my spirits and I honestly never expected it.

Pearl's a minger

So very sorry for your loss. Petition signed. Hope this works out for you and your family.

I've signed it.

I alway think it's offensive when the gambling industry use the slogan 'when the fun stops, stop'.

It's a fecking addiction! By the time the fun has stopped the person is deep in addiction and needs professional help.

spiriticon

Signed. I'm not a big fan of online gambling myself.

I'm sorry for your loss.

paulscholes18

I've signed it.

I alway think it's offensive when the gambling industry use the slogan 'when the fun stops, stop'.

It's a fecking addiction! By the time the fun has stopped the person is deep in addiction and needs professional help.
With fun being in the biggest font rather than Stop.

Signed and I’m sorry for your loss.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Signed. So sorry for your loss.

Ive struggled myself at times. I’m now self excluded, which is a useful tool that is more encouraged these days.