My husband needs your help - Petition: Ban 'Free Bets'

sillwuka

I have just signed, really sorry for what you've had to go though.

I've been enticed myself by free bets and had even explored matched betting but I support your petition.

arthurka

Sorry for your loss but sadly I can't put pressure on your government as I live in another country. I live where these adds are banned but it is allowed in the UK and other places so betting through the internet and apps is becoming a huge problem here. We live in a world where the internet rules and laws don't apply. I hope you get much needed attention to this as this betting crap is getting out of hands.

TrustInOle

Signed and signed by my partner to, so sorry for your loss.

One of the world's largest addictions and it's shovelled down your throat these days with ads and how many bookies are about. I have 3 on our high Street.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Can't sign since I'm not a brit. Very sorry for you loss. Thanks for taking up this work. Hope you achieve all the success in your endeavour!

LukesLaw

Supports
Leicester City
Need just over 2000 more signatures to get to 10,000 ✍

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The OP, Annie Ashton, is on Sky News now. You can watch what she says here though you'll have to rewind a few minutes or so depending on when you're watching to view as it is about to finish:

clonsolar

Wish I could sign up and help, but non UK. The amount of betting ads on during games is crazy. Betting is a worse affliction than many others when it becomes an addiction. Bookie always wins. Punters lose.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
sorry for your loss, I've signed it, I love a punt but the amount of advertising and yes free bet offers is shocking, last 3 weeks I've had at least 6 free £5 bets off B365, also Skybet and Paddy Power encourage you to hit milestones each week to get a free £5er or £10er which is also just as bad, the amount of times I hear people in the pub saying I need to put another £xx on to get my free £5er / £10er, it's crackers and more legislation is needed, even if it stops us who like a bet and think we have control to stop us sliding down into it becoming out of control.

Lynty

I like how she handled the question on "how much money had he lost". Didn't lose focus on the real issue

I hate the tactics these gambling firms use. It really shouldn't have any place in football. Don't know how people like Peter Coates can sleep at night.

Ananke

Signed, sorry for your loss Annie. I can't even fathom what you and your family must be going through right now. I stay away from gambling because I know it's a slippery slope, I've seen my Dad do it for many years growing up (though he does it with a small amount of money) and it always put me off.

For something that can be so life destroying we shouldn't be enabling people down that path. :(

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
My husband loved football, I am a Manc but he was an avid LCFC suporter but this is about more than the colour of the shirt. He went all over the place to watch them and started many of chants when he was watching the games. He would often come home with destroyed vocal chords. City was everything to him but he also had a soft spot for my team too

However, I recently lost my husband through a gambling addiction. He was a happy man but was sucked into a hole after being given 'free bets' which ultimately cost him his life. I have made a video to explain more about what has happened.

I have set up a petition asking the government to ban 'free bets'. This is where I am asking for your support. Could you sign and possibly share it.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/587806

Sorry for asking but I am trying to gain as much support for this as possible and as he put his all into being a huge supporter, I thought I would give this a go. Signing will take 1 minute and sharing will take even less time. Hope you do not mind me posting
I'm so sorry to hear this, and my thoughts are with you and your family. Gambling is an awful addiction and has negatively affected some of my close family and friends. Free bets are a menace to draw people into the horrible world of gambling, both the government and betting companies need to take more responsibility and place more heavy restrictions on how betting is advertised and cut these 'free' promotions that ultimately lead to people getting hooked.

Signed and shared.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Wish I could sign up and help, but non UK. The amount of betting ads on during games is crazy. Betting is a worse affliction than many others when it becomes an addiction. Bookie always wins. Punters lose.
Its got out of control they sponsor many EPL teams and as you said every live game is sandwiched between betting ads.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I like how she handled the question on "how much money had he lost". Didn't lose focus on the real issue

I hate the tactics these gambling firms use. It really shouldn't have any place in football. Don't know how people like Peter Coates can sleep at night.
Yeah she swerved that really nicely and refocused the attention on the actual issue. The specific amount isn't important.

Last edited:

LukesLaw

Supports
Leicester City
Thank you all. I am still plugging away at this petition and raising awareness of gambling harm as much I can. Your support means a lot.
Every media interview I have done have asked how much did he lose. It really annoys me so I am well rehersed with my answer now.

Tony Palumbo

I couldn’t sign a petition based on one persons inability to control their gambling addiction. Throwing a blanket over all gamblers who may generally enjoy the odd free bet if offered.

LukesLaw

Supports
Leicester City
I couldn’t sign a petition based on one persons inability to control their gambling addiction. Throwing a blanket over all gamblers who may generally enjoy the odd free bet if offered.
[/QUOTE]

No one is saying you have to. If it is something you disagree with, fine but you don't need to comment about my husband's 'inability to control' an addiction. If it was an easy addiction to control, he would still be here.

Additionally, 'free bets' are not always free. You have to win so much back before being able to withdraw your winnings and if you do win, it is often put back in to place more bets.

As far as it being 'one persons' addiction, one person every day takes their own life from gambling related suicide. You can find this information on the gambling commission's website.

MayfieldsFinest

Fair enough, could you instead keep your mouth shut and not comment you idiot?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah that's a rather insensitive remark to make.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Even though my adventures in gambling are pretty much harmless, we should be aware on how easy is to enter an adrenaline seek spiral when joining the world of betting. Specially when you loose large sums of money and you enter in "I gotta recover it" mode.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There was another one earlier that was even worse.

@LukesLaw I commend you for what you are doing and I wish I could sign the petition, but I think I lost that right in 1776 ( :) ).

Best of luck to you in this and in your mission.

Lynty

There is no need to voice that opinion here, given the circumstances. Why don't you read, disagree and move on without comment. Utter bellend.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
There was another one earlier that was even worse.
Yeah this has attracted a couple of shitheads today. It's not even that they disagree, it's that they have a total lack of compassion for this issue or the people involved.

Ananke

Honestly some people just want to watch the world burn. This is a sensitive issue. If you don't agree there's no need to make insensitive comments. Remove yourself from the thread and move on.

Similar to a previous post on here (got removed) who was also a newbie with 2 posts, you're just pathetic.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
^^^ attention seeker found.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is it me or did Kay Burley sound condescending? The “how much did he lose” question was unnecessary too and adds nothing to the topic.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Brave post. Would sign if I were British. Best of luck and hopefully this shit gets banned.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Thank you. You are all amazing.
Signed. I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. May he rest in peace.

I think that you are absolutely incredible. These gambling firms need to be held to account. All the best with this.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Signed, I'm so sorry for your loss, your husband was the same age I am now, & i lost my best friend to suicide 15 years ago, & he had a gambling problem. Share your story on other forums, I know the Rangers one called Follow Follow has quite a lot of Users.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Do these companies not allow you to not be contacted with the offers? Bet365 have options to turn it all off.