Nabil Fekir

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthPredators4

An absolute must buy for us, especially when we are so often struggling for creativity or ball retention in the middle of the pitch against defensive teams. We bemoan our mundane n aimless sideway passing at times, and cast envious glances towards City for their David Silva, and yet doing nothing while Liverpool seems to be bidding for him?

I think we need to be ruthless in a sense that we have to buy worldclass players to suit different tactics for different games. Rather than every expensive signing has to be an undroppable first eleven. He would be brilliant as a no 10, wif Sanchez upfront when going small against teams parking buses as often than not, Lukaku lack of agility and control in tight spaces make things easier for opposition.

suhaylah

An absolute must buy for us, especially when we are so often struggling for creativity or ball retention in the middle of the pitch against defensive teams. We bemoan our mundane n aimless sideway passing at times, and cast envious glances towards City for their David Silva, and yet doing nothing while Liverpool seems to be bidding for him?

I think we need to be ruthless in a sense that we have to buy worldclass players to suit different tactics for different games. Rather than every expensive signing has to be an undroppable first eleven. He would be brilliant as a no 10, wif Sanchez upfront when going small against teams parking buses as often than not, Lukaku lack of agility and control in tight spaces make things easier for opposition.
If he goes to Liverpool, we'll be wondering how we didn't even try for him,like we did with Mane.

SouthPredators4

If he goes to Liverpool, we'll be wondering how we didn't even try for him,like we did with Mane.
Totally. It would be so sickenly seeing their transfers panning out so well. Whatmore, adding 2 obvious upgrades to spread the goals around on an already worldclass attacking trio. Fekir is just one of those players that makes everybody clicks in the attacking sense with his vision, passing, dribbling and trickery, while possessing good strength on the ball and a decent work rate.

Patrick08

Totally. It would be so sickenly seeing their transfers panning out so well. Whatmore, adding 2 obvious upgrades to spread the goals around on an already worldclass attacking trio. Fekir is just one of those players that makes everybody clicks in the attacking sense with his vision, passing, dribbling and trickery, while possessing good strength on the ball and a decent work rate.
Would be right up there with Toni Kroos, Sadio mane Shambles.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Are there any credible sources actually linking us (Livepool) to him? I haven't seen anything other than the odd tweet.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Are there any credible sources actually linking us (Livepool) to him? I haven't seen anything other than the odd tweet.
Think Guardian Sport said you were in advance talks in a deal worth around 60m

SouthPredators4

If the scousers get Fekir, and buy a goalkeeper and another centreback, i will take a punt on them winning the title. Its not an overreaction but they are upgrading from Milner Henderson Can to Fabinho, Fekir and Keita. That is one hell of a front 6 abeit a relatively inexperienced back 4.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If the scousers get Fekir, and buy a goalkeeper and another centreback, i will take a punt on them winning the title. Its not an overreaction but they are upgrading from Milner Henderson Can to Fabinho, Fekir and Keita. That is one hell of a front 6 abeit a relatively inexperienced back 4.
Yep they are getting a good squad together but it’s Liverpool they’ll come a cropper soon.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Think this is the issue though, people will know they need and will pay for one. There aren't many out there that would 100% come in and make the spot their own.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
All the broadsheets have reported "advanced talks", guys like Mane and Fabinho have both commented on how awesome it will would be to play with him at liverpool. To my eyes, this is what an open secret looks like in the media.

Infra-red

Klopp planning to abandon 4-3-3 and revert back to the 4-2-3-1 he used at Dortmund, perhaps? Fabinho & Keita in a double pivot - they both currently play in midfield-twos at club level don't they?

trafford1980

What is his best position?

He's being touted on here as one of our midfield 3 - but I;ve always had Fekir down as a striker or #10?

He looks like a very gifted player, but maybe not a good fit for us unless he actually is a CM? He is a central player, we don't play with a #10 very often and he wont replace Lukaku. Playing him wide defeats the point, we already tried countless central players as a RW - guess what - they all cut inside and aren't as effective as they should be
He's a #10.
My Sisters BF is French and mad for Lyon, so I saw a lot of him last season.

He's playing as a deeper forward/#10, but can also drift right and easily play outside.

If Liverpool sign him he'll end up playing behind the front three, ahead of Fabinho & Keita. Or replacing one of Firminio/Mane/Salah where need be. He's a great Coutinho replacement.

However, with Fred incoming, I really can't see any way in which Matic/Pogba/Fred/Fekir are in the same 11, unless we play a diamond midfield setup.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I will bet you €100 Liverpool wont win the title next season

Craig Ward

He's playing as a deeper forward/#10, but can also drift right and easily play outside.

If Liverpool sign him he'll end up playing behind the front three, ahead of Fabinho & Keita. Or replacing one of Firminio/Mane/Salah where need be. He's a great Coutinho replacement.

However, with Fred incoming, I really can't see any way in which Matic/Pogba/Fred/Fekir are in the same 11, unless we play a diamond midfield setup.
Thanks.

Seems like a good player who just doesn't suit what we need right now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is a massive downgrade between Fékir in the middle and wide, he can play on both wings but not at the same level or consistency.

SouthPredators4

Why must every signing be a first 11? City has Jesus, Bernado Silva, Gundogan, and rumoured to be after Mahrez. None of them are expected to be first 11 as well. Different players for different tactics. We need strong competition for all positions and not seeing the likes of Pogba, Lukaku, Valencia producing appalling performances only to keep their places weeks after weeks.

SouthPredators4

There is a massive downgrade between Fékir in the middle and wide, he can play on both wings but not at the same level or consistency.
He doesnt have to be on the wings. I think there are occasions against small teams which he can play the most advanced of a midfield 3 and be the conductor for the front three attackers. His abilities are mainly through the middle which we are incredibly limited.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Think he would have been perfect for us to be honest. Could have slotted straight in where Lingard currently operates.

I think we’ll regret not going for him.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Klopp planning to abandon 4-3-3 and revert back to the 4-2-3-1 he used at Dortmund, perhaps? Fabinho & Keita in a double pivot - they both currently play in midfield-twos at club level don't they?
They'll probably still find a way of starting Henderson so thats the one saving grace really

CognitiveNeuro

Can someone explain to me why Fabinho Keita and Fekir is so good? Are they really good enough for a title winning squad?

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Watch this guy light it up at the WC.

Hope we're in for him after that. Him ending up with the scum alongside fabinho & Keita would be scary.

Jsadler20

Supports
Liverpool
Can he play as an 8?
I've seen a lot of him this year and not that he has played as an 8 except maybe once he certainly strikes me that he has the ability and qualities to be able to play as an advanced 8, sort of like Oxlade-Chamberlain where he connects the midfield to the attack. Even when he plays as a 10 he often drops deeper to pick up the ball to drive it forward, I see no reason why he can't play the same sort of role Lallana, Coutinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc. plays for us.

I personally think if he comes he'll switch between being one of our midfield 3 and playing as a false 9 to cover Firmino when he needs resting. He's probably one of a very few of players that could do a version of what Firmino does for us which is another reason I think we're so interested in him.

IrishRedDevil

Can someone explain to me why Fabinho Keita and Fekir is so good? Are they really good enough for a title winning squad?
Nobody knows really. They’ve played a sum total of 0 minutes in the Premier League. It’s just Liverpool fans all over social media dreaming about a potential lineup. For all we know, at least one of them could turn out to be a flop or they could all click well together, but it may take time as it would be an entirely new midfield which in itself is risky.

jem

Nobody knows really. They’ve played a sum total of 0 minutes in the Premier League. It’s just Liverpool fans all over social media dreaming about a potential lineup. For all we know, at least one of them could turn out to be a flop or they could all click well together, but it may take time as it would be an entirely new midfield which in itself is risky.
Yeah it's silly to get too worked up at this stage (although I understand fan excitement - just that we saw firsthand with Mhkitaryen that things don't always go according to plan.)

luke511

I've seen a lot of him this year and not that he has played as an 8 except maybe once he certainly strikes me that he has the ability and qualities to be able to play as an advanced 8, sort of like Oxlade-Chamberlain where he connects the midfield to the attack. Even when he plays as a 10 he often drops deeper to pick up the ball to drive it forward, I see no reason why he can't play the same sort of role Lallana, Coutinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc. plays for us.

I personally think if he comes he'll switch between being one of our midfield 3 and playing as a false 9 to cover Firmino when he needs resting. He's probably one of a very few of players that could do a version of what Firmino does for us which is another reason I think we're so interested in him.
That's exactly what we need.

NoPace

I think so, though I've only seen Fabinho a ton. He's a solid DM, lots of size and skill. Fekir is highly rated by Ligue 1 fans and having seen him as a 10 a few times, he's got a lot of talent. Keita has looked like a very talented box to box player whenever I've seen him and Whoscored says he's great.

Also they still have Lallana, who did well as a CM for them, Milner had a surprisingly strong season, the Ox's numbers were great and even Henderson and Wijnaldum did okay for them. I assume one will go, maybe Wijnaldum or Milner, but yeah, they really could seem a whole team next year with this midfield. Early favorites for 2nd behind City I'm afraid.

SouthPredators4

What is incredibly frustrating for us is that we tend to play wide despite having shit wingers or players who are not natural wide players. I get that we are sorting that out this summer. However, the best teams in Europe, especially those whom are fluid and creative in their attacks tend to mix it up more by having creative presence and penetration through the middle. Such players are no 10 which we have none and i don't regard Sanchez as one. Now that Fekir is available, why are we not bidding for him, given he adds a different element to our attack be it as an advanced central midfield of 3, a 10, or false no 9. Its so sickening if we missed out on him and i foresee us struggling to break teams down even with fullbacks and new wingers as teams could easily cut out crosses given our lack of aerial abilities.

Sanche7

What is incredibly frustrating for us is that we tend to play wide despite having shit wingers or players who are not natural wide players. I get that we are sorting that out this summer. However, the best teams in Europe, especially those whom are fluid and creative in their attacks tend to mix it up more by having creative presence and penetration through the middle. Such players are no 10 which we have none and i don't regard Sanchez as one. Now that Fekir is available, why are we not bidding for him, given he adds a different element to our attack be it as an advanced central midfield of 3, a 10, or false no 9. Its so sickening if we missed out on him and i foresee us struggling to break teams down even with fullbacks and new wingers as teams could easily cut out crosses given our lack of aerial abilities.
We do not lack aerial abilities. Lukaku is a beast In the air ,just look how good he is when he has proper FBs flanking him when he plays for Belgium.
Deliver proper crosses and Lukaku will score.
Also Pogba, Matic, Smalling, Fellaini are very good in the air.
And if you are talking about our inability to defend set pieces,it's not all about aerial ability but it's more about organisation.

Patrick08

It's a reflection of How mourinho wants to play, what qualities he seems most important, and his little care of footballing aesthetics on the pitch. Presence over creative and penetrative spark seems to be his way and if one values those qualities more, than the most creative and penetrative spark won't like to work with him as he does not get the best out of them by what we have seen for 2 years now.

Instead of spending 100 m on SMS he could have bought two play makers in Fekir and Jorginho instead for the same money which I think would have been better suited to an attacking brand of football with more willingness to quicken the attacking transition and play make and create which would have got the best out of our superb attacking potential but it seems the physique , creativity and presence of SMS is what he values more over a more fluid attacking way. He seems to be building a tactically functional defensively astute defensive reactive counter attacking side like one of those Italian teams are known for who are very efficient but not very fluid and a great spectacle who will take the initiative upon themselves to win the game but wait for the opponents to make mistakes and pounce on it. But as we have seen this season when the opponents gives the ball away and play the same against Mourinho's side the team has struggled to break them down with lack of movement and quality final ball in final third with slow attacking transition which seems to be the biggest hurdle if Mourinho wants to win the Epl next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Smores

Sometimes i think people watch different games. We play wide? Since when? W

Only Rashford ever plays with width no one else does and thats not consistent. Most of our wide players are either strikers or no10s. Bizzare.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Most of our play is through the middle. That's is without doubt.
Most teams don't have a natural No 10. Madrid, Barca, At Madrid, City, Juve. Don't see why it's so necessary. Most teams also don't have natural wingers. Fullbacks are the new wide men.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sometimes i think people watch different games. We play wide? Since when? W

Only Rashford ever plays with width no one else does and thats not consistent. Most of our wide players are either strikers or no10s. Bizzare.
Think Martial holds the line a lot more than Rashford does.

SAFMUTD

Why are we not interested in this guy? This is the kind of player the fans are screaming for. Great energy, great skills, good passer, good dribbler, fair long distance shot, leadership, just the right age and available for me is clearly a no brainer.

I just dont know why it seems Liverpool is the only team interested in him, and for 60 millions is a steal. In my opinion he is way better and more complete than Milinković-Savić. I think if we dont sign him and he ends in liverpool he probably will become one of the best players in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick08

Most of our play is through the middle. That's is without doubt.
Most teams don't have a natural No 10. Madrid, Barca, At Madrid, City, Juve. Don't see why it's so necessary. Most teams also don't have natural wingers. Fullbacks are the new wide men.
At Madrid they have 3 playmakers in Modric Kroos and Isco, where isco is used to play ake in the final third and keep and ball and create in the final third. Barcelona more or less use Messi as a floating player who does the job of a no 10 better than every no 10 out there, Bayern munich have Thiago and James Rodriguez as attacking playmakers or no10.Man city have Silva and Kdb. Juventus have Dybala and Pijanic.

Every top teams have the ability to retain the ball in final third and create in high pressure and they have all done better than us in ucl playing attacking football. Even Tottenham have Erikson and Ali. I rate Mata and Lingard below all those teams players in terms of playmaking as we usually don't play them there and Mata have regressed a lot who can no longer play with the same intensity he did with Chelsea. Lingard too lacks intelligence and ability to create a cohesive attack with his playmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.