Name our best 11 and the 3 subs.

Bestietom

This is very debatable. With the squad atm, pick your best 11 and the 3 subs you think could change a game for us. Have a go.

-----------------------De Gea------------

AWB-----Lindelof---Maguire--------Shaw

--------------------- Matic ----------------------

----------------Pogba--------Fernandes-------

Greenwood-----------------------------Rashford
------------------------Marial---------------

Subs: VdB, Cavani, Telles.

Last edited:

Red_toad

Dave
Laird, Tuanzebe, Maguire, Telles
Fred, Van Beek
Bruno
Greenwood, Rashford
Martial
Subs; Cavani, McTommy, Pogba
I’d love to see this team tried out this season. Lots of energy and creative threat, just don’t think Ole is bold enough to try it unfortunately.

Last edited:

Bestietom

Dave
Fred, Van Beek
Bruno
Greenwood, Rashford
Martial
I’d love to see this team tried out this season. Lots of energy and creative threat, just don’t think Ole is bold enough to try it unfortunately.
Yes, a good side, but who are the 3 subs you would have, that you think could change a game for us.

Last edited:

fezzerUTD

Henderson
AWB Tuanzebe Lindelof Telles
Matic
Fernandes VDB
Greenwood Cavani Rashford

Martial De Gea Pogba

Bestietom

Henderson
Matic
Fernandes VDB

Marital De Gea Pogba
Would you have De Gea as a sub that could change a game for us. I think an outfield player would be better.

Deery

Dreary
DeGea

Wan Bissaka Tuanzebe Lindelof Telles

Fred Pogba

Bruno

Greenwood Cavani Rashford​

Subs: Maguire, Donny, Martial

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Dave
Fred, Van Beek
Bruno
Greenwood, Rashford
Martial
How would that be bold? Laird is a talent. If he's good enough he'll play. The rest are already playing

Bestietom

Henderson
Matic
Fernandes VDB

Martial De Gea Pogba
Would you have De Gea as one that could change a game for us from the bench. Think an outfield player would be better.

Lentwood

I don't know why as fans we're obsessed with a 'best XI'.

Even Sunday league teams don't have a 'best XI' now...you pick the players you feel best fit the formation and style you want to play from week to week.

fezzerUTD

Would you have De Gea as one that could change a game for us from the bench. Think an outfield player would be better.
Yeh it was always the dilemma. Back when you could only name 3 subs in the 90's it was usually 2 outfield players and a GK. If I chose a 3rd outfield player it would be an attacker maybe the new young player.

Bestietom

Even Sunday league teams don't have a 'best XI' now...you pick the players you feel best fit the formation and style you want to play from week to week.
Yes, we all heard of horses for courses. But all I'm asking is who you think would be our best 11 and the subs that could change a game. Pick your own formation and who you would have on the bench to come on.

Red_toad

How would that be bold? Laird is a talent. If he's good enough he'll play. The rest are already playing
We play with 2 defensive fullbacks, 2 defensive midfielders. Ole is very safety conscious and focused, that’s why we play both Fred and McTommy, plus Shaw and AWB whom both offer very little attacking output

Bestietom

Yeh it was always the dilemma. Back when you could only name 3 subs in the 90's it was usually 2 outfield players and a GK. If I chose a 3rd outfield player it would be an attacker maybe the new young player.
Up until 1987 you could only use 1 sub, but you had 3/4 on the bench with a goalkeeper.

Skills

Snitch
De Gea
AWB
Lindelof
Maguire
Shaw
Fred
Pogba
Bruno
Greenwood
Martial
Rashford

Sub
VDB
Telles
Mata

Bestietom

We are not as low as a Sunday league side yet. This is just an opinion thread.

Skills

Snitch
Not a bad side either, and the subs.
I forgot Cavani too. He'd probably be the 3rd sub.

I'd say we're stacked for options off the bench tbh. Cavani, Mata, VDB, Telles, Matic, McTominay are all good players

Bestietom

I forgot Cavani too. He'd probably be the 3rd sub.

I'd say we're stacked for options off the bench tbh. Cavani, Mata, VDB, Telles, Matic, McTominay are all good players
I agree they are good players, but which would you pick as gamechangers. Just opinions mate. A bit of sport to pass the time.

e.cantona

We play with 2 defensive fullbacks, 2 defensive midfielders. Ole is very safety conscious and focused, that’s why we play both Fred and McTommy, plus Shaw and AWB whom both offer very little attacking output
All of two games in a row, v PSG and Celsea? Ok..

Remember the geese

De Gea, Telles, Maguire, Tuanzebe, Wan Bissaka, Matic, Fred, Pogba, Rashford, Fernandes, Martial.

Subs: Van de Beek, Cavani, Greenwood.

Effectively... Bruno as a false number 9, split strikers, Pogba in what I think is his best position with Fred and Matic there to do the dirty work, a pacy partner for Maguire and some decent bench options. May not work, but I wouldnt mind it being tried.

Lynty

------------------------------------- De Gea ------------------------------------

AWB-------Tuanzebe ------ Maguire ----- Shaw -----------Telles

------------- Fernandes -----------Fred -------------- Pogba -----------

---------------------------Martial-----------Rashford -----------------------

Subs: van de Beek, Greenwood, Matic

Bestietom

De Gea, Telles, Maguire, Tuanzebe, Wan Bissaka, Matic, Fred, Pogba, Rashford, Fernandes, Martial.

Subs: Van de Beek, Cavani, Greenwood.

Effectively... Bruno as a false number 9, split strikers, Pogba in what I think is his best position with Fred and Matic there to do the dirty work, a pacy partner for Maguire and some decent bench options. May not work, but I wouldnt mind it being tried.
Good one.

JB7

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Telles
McTom Fred
Greenwood Fernandes Rashford
Martial

Pogba Cavani VDB​

Bestietom

------------------------------------- De Gea ------------------------------------

---------------Fernandes---------Fred--------------Pogba---------------

---------------------------Martial-----------Rashford ----------------------

A 5-3-2 Yes, good team.

Ballache

Supports
Martial

------------- Fernandes -----------Fred -------------- Pogba -----------

---------------------------Martial-----------Rashford -----------------------

I like the look of that team.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We won't know until VdB gets at least a couple of starts. And of course it depends on form and game situations as well so it's a bit of a daft question but feck it.

My guess:

DDG
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire Telles
VdB Fred
Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Cavani

Moving to:

DDG
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire Telles
McT Pogba
Rashford Bruno Mata
Martial

I don't think Pogba and Fred particularly like playing together and Cavani won't be doing 90 mins every game.

Web of Bissaka

Cheers OP, good thread.

De Gea
Bissaka -- Lindelof -- Maguire -- Shaw
McT -- Fred
Rashford -- Bruno -- Pogba
Martial

Subs: Greenwood, Van de Beek, Axel
Still question marks on Telles and Cavani.

Red_toad

All of two games in a row, v PSG and Celsea? Ok..
So please feel free to state when during Ole’s tenure at the club we‘ve ever played 2 attacking fullbacks? Or when we’ve ever had a balanced midfield that is competent defending and attacking? He also played Shaw, AWB, Fred and McTommy a lot last season, so please try harder with the snide comments.

Sparky Rhiwabon

How about
DDG
AWB Maguire Tuanzebe Telles
Fred Matic
Bruno VDB
Rashford Cavani

Subs
Martial, Shaw, Pogba

e.cantona

So please feel free to state when during Ole’s tenure at the club we‘ve ever played 2 attacking fullbacks? Or when we’ve ever had a balanced midfield that is competent defending and attacking? He also played Shaw, AWB, Fred and McTommy a lot last season, so please try harder with the snide comments.
Snide comments... bleh

Name me a combo of players he didn't try

If you're sad Laird didn't take the step up yet, he's young and still might

VDB will probably get his chances as well..

I was just wondering why you thought your particular setup was so bold. I don't find it bold at all.

Red_toad

Snide comments... bleh

Name me a combo of players he didn't try

If you're sad Laird didn't take the step up yet, he's young and still might

VDB will probably get his chances as well..

I was just wondering why you thought your particular setup was so bold. I don't find it bold at all.
Im not sad about Laird, no idea where you got that from?

Yes he tried numerous combinations of players, I’m simply joining in with the thread on opinions of team selections. Shame you’ve picked my post to spread your negative comments on.

I didn’t say the team selection was bold, I suggest you go back and read my post correctly.

paulscholes18

I would like to see

DDG
Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw
AWB Bruno Fred Telles
Pogba
Rashford Martial

VDB, Greenwood, Cavani

With a Back 3, you have Tuanzebe & Shaw covering Maguire’s biggest weakness which is his pace.

I would like to see Bruno in a deeper role, as his first thought is to get the ball forward, which is lacking when it’s Fred & McTominay together. With Bruno you still get the energy and work rate (which Pogba lacks in that position) that McTominay offers, may not be as good without the ball as Scott but his ability with the ball will more than make up for it.

This formation would also free up Pogba, as he would have plenty of bodies behind him, where hopefully we will see the best from him consistently. Really would be last chance saloon for him.

Biggest weakness to this formation is the lack of cover for Shaw and Telles, with Rojo totally out of favour & Alvaro Fernandez is probably a couple of seasons a way from being ready.

e.cantona

Im not sad about Laird, no idea where you got that from?

Yes he tried numerous combinations of players, I’m simply joining in with the thread on opinions of team selections. Shame you’ve picked my post to spread your negative comments on.

I didn’t say the team selection was bold, I suggest you go back and read my post correctly.
OK