Borys

Statistics Wizard
DDG
AWB-McTominay-Maguire-Shaw-Telles
van de Beek----Fred
Bruno
Greenwood Rashford
Subs: Lindelof, Pogba, Martial

We can play this formation against any team.

Buffalo Bills

You’ve got twelve players and Shaw in twice..

Thought 12 players would give us a better chance.. yeah Telles for Shaw in the starting line up. Drop Rashford to bench 442 diamond. I'm not the most computer literate ....or numerate so it seems.

Reactions: Jippy

Deery

Dreary
Thought 12 players would give us a better chance.. yeah Telles for Shaw in the starting line up. Drop Rashford to bench 442 diamond. I'm not the most computer literate ....or numerate so it seems.
No problem. Yeah we should two keepers in when we’re at it.

I’d like to see us go back to a 433, Pogba seemed to play better last night.

Augustus Gloop

De Gea
Shaw
Maguire
Lindelöf
AWB
McTominay
Fred
Fernandes
Greenwood
Rashford
Martial

Mata
Tuanzebe
VDB

Difficult to leave Mata out of the 11 based on current form, but obviously Mason is phenomenal. Actually super easy to name the 14 in general - spades of versatility as well.

Buffalo Bills

No problem. Yeah we should two keepers in when we’re at it.

I’d like to see us go back to a 433, Pogba seemed to play better last night.
433 certainly worked well coming out of lockdown, however on this seasons evidence Pogba has lacked the required energy levels and has been caught out on the ball a bit too often. Didn't see the performance with France but if he is back on track as you say then that is to be welcomed. (would still start him on the bench in the short term though as "automatic starter" level is not yet apparent)

Steve Bruce

Personally with the team we have

--------------------DDG
AWB---Lindelof---Maguire---Shaw
------------------Matic
-------------Fred-------VDB
------------------Bruno
----------Martial---Rashford

Telles was left out because I don't know much about him to say he's any better or worse than Shaw.

Pogba isn't consistent enough

Cavani I'm not sure how good he is at this point of his career.

Mctominey I don't rate. He can do a job but he's backup to me.

Greenwood, big fan but at this stage I think he can be impactful as a sub & start in the lesser games.

Tuanzebe, I know it's fashionable to want him in the team, but I think we should build him up in smaller games. He hasn't played much in the last year through injury.

James, mata, Lingard, ighalo, jones, rojo etc are just not good enough.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Wan Bissaka
Maguire
Bruno
Martial

are all def starters every time.

The rest are very much up for debate.

I honestly would cut my losses with Pogba. He really needs to go.

Ollie Derbyshire

.................DDG
AWB...Lindelof...Maguire...Shaw
.........Fred....McTominay
................Bruno
Mason...Martial...Marcus

Pogba, Cavani, VdB

This is our most balanced team, shame Axel isn’t ready yet to come in for Lindelof and Telles needs to show what he can do.

On form that should be good enough to compete against anyone, if players go out of form those 3 subs can come in without losing too much if Pogba & VdB can play in the pivot with some discipline for the odd game.

wolvored

If all fit, on form and well rested I would go with:
De Gea
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire Telles
Matic
Bruno VDB
Greenwood Cavani Rashford
Subs:
Martial Lindelof Pogba

Scholsey2004

De Gea
Maguire
Lindelof
Shaw
AWB
Telles
McTominay
Fred
Fernandes
Rashford
Martial

DvdB
Cavani
Greenwood

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Bus opponent:

DDG
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Telles
Fred
Bruno - VDB
Greenwood - Martial - Rashford​

Subs (defending 1 goal lead): Matic, Shaw, Cavani
Subs (chasing goals): Cavani, Mata, Pellistri

Non bus:

DDG
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
Fred - McTominay
Greenwood - Bruno - Rashford
Martial
Subs (defending 1 goal lead): Matic, VDB, Cavani
Subs (chasing goals): Cavani, Mata, VDB

Lentwood

GK - Henderson
RWB - AWB
LWB - Telles (may be premature as I don't mind Shaw but purely selecting Telles for set-piece delivery)
CB - Maguire
CB - Lindelof
CB - Tuanzebe
CM - McTominay
CM - Fred
AM/FC - Fernandes
AM/LWF - Martial
AM/RWF - Greenwood

Basically a variation on the formation and team we used to beat PSG. Gives us plenty of bodies in central areas. The strikers are split with Bruno leading the central press when we don't have the ball and dropping between the lines between the opposition CBs and DMs when we do.

The game plan is based on being very difficult to beat, first and foremost.

My options to change this like-for-like would be Rashford, for whichever forward isn't performing, and Van de Beek for Fernandes after 65/70mins.

I would also use Pogba intermittently but would have to tweak it slightly to have him utilise him as an AMC in games where the opposition deploy a really low-block (i.e. bottom 6 teams at home)

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Up until 1987 you could only use 1 sub, but you had 3/4 on the bench with a goalkeeper.
No you didn't.

Up until 1986 you only had one substitute. That was it.

In 1986/87 you had two subs. That was it. No additional keeper.

It later changed to two substitutes, but you could name three players one of which was a keeper.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wan Bissaka
Maguire
Bruno
Martial

are all def starters every time.

The rest are very much up for debate.

I honestly would cut my losses with Pogba. He really needs to go.
Rashford, and de Gea for now, are certain starters, too.

Bestietom

No you didn't.

Up until 1986 you only had one substitute. That was it.

In 1986/87 you had two subs. That was it. No additional keeper.

It later changed to two substitutes, but you could name three players one of which was a keeper.
I said up Until 1987..

Gabagoo

1st XI (getting the full backs pushing up and the inside forwards cutting in, making space for frequent overlaps - and yes I have Rashford on the left & Martial on the right so that they can both cut in on their stronger feet, taking shots and making more space available for our full backs):

................................. de Gea ..............................

Wan-Bissaka ... Maguire ... Tuanzebe ... Telles

................... van de Beek... Fred ........................

...........................Fernandes(c) ..........................

............. Martial ... Cavani ... Rashford .............

Subs: Lindelof, Pogba, Greenwood

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'd like to see us play with 2 DM's away from home as we have been doing and just the one at home and open up a bit. Yes we'll lose a game every now and then through a sucker punch but that's life. Got to get Donny in the team more.

Pogba can't leave quick enough. Won't be missed and hopefully if we do get a bit of cash (30-40m) it can go towards another CB.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
For me, our best 11 possibly hasn't even played together from the start yet this season. There is a lot of talk about dropping Martial, but I don't think putting a player on the bench who is lacking confidence will help him. He needs to play his way out of it but the best way to do that is to play him with our best players. With that being said, for me, this is our best 11

----------------------------------De Gea----------------------------------
AWB-------------Bailly--------------------Maguire---------Shaw
-----------------Pogba---------------------Fred-------------------------
Rashford-------------------Bruno------------------------Martial
---------------------------------Cavani-----------------------------------

Subs: Henderson, Lindelof, Telles, Tuanzebe, VdB, McTominay, Greenwood, Mata, James

I have no problem putting Lidelof in against teams like City or LIverpool who are going to have a lot of possession. Lindelof is better positionally than Bailly, so he can be valuable for these big games. I also have no problem with Telles stepping in for Shaw. Especially against the lower half of the table where his delivery can be key.

But the biggest thing for me is that Martial, Cavani and Rashford have started together once or twice this season. That's it. These are our best 3 yet for some reason we keep staying away from it. This front 3 only makes sense to me. Some don't like Rashford on the right but I completely disagree from the small sample size we have. I like having at least one wing with a right footed RW or left footed LW. Our wingers come inside way too much, so with Rashford on the right he will automatically stay wider to keep on his right foot and that alone can help make up for AWB's far from impressive (but improving) attacking displays

I don't expect to see this against Liverpool in the cup this weekend, but I would definitely like to see this formation sooner rather than later...

davidmichael

If everyone is 100% fit and at their absolute best then in a 4-2-3-1,

De Gea, AWB, Bailly, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, Pogba, Greenwood, Fernandes, Rashford, Martial

Subs: Telles, McTominay, Cavani

Kazi

If we were playing a match for all the marbles tomorrow, it would be this...

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McT Fred
Rashford Bruno Pogba
Cavani

The only question mark is Bailly for Lindelof if he can show some consistency.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Interesting how in the later posts, Pogba seems to have found his way back into the starting line-ups for most people. Hopefully he keeps his focus and performances up.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If we were playing a match for all the marbles tomorrow, it would be this...

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McT Fred
Rashford Bruno Pogba
Cavani

The only question mark is Bailly for Lindelof if he can show some consistency.
For me, Pogba is a midfielder, not a winger. He's done ok there but he is a jogger, not a sprinter. So I would put him in place of either McTominay or Fred but I think Ole likes to have a left footer partnered with a right footer in midfield, so that would mean Fred. Not sure if that's true, but we usually see McFred or Matic with Pogba. Yesterday it was Frogba. Not sure if we have ever seen McPog or Fred and Matic

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Interesting how in the later posts, Pogba seems to have found his way back into the starting line-ups for most people. Hopefully he keeps his focus and performances up.
I don't think anyone has ever denied his talent. I know I haven't. An in form Pogba is a fantastic player. But turn the clock back a few weeks and I didn't even want to see his face. He's earned back some respect with performances on the field...

Bondi77

If everyone is 100% fit and at their absolute best then in a 4-2-3-1,

De Gea, AWB, Bailly, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, Pogba, Greenwood, Fernandes, Rashford, Martial

Subs: Telles, McTominay, Cavani
Does Telles get in based on his Porto form?

norm87cro

Henderson
Awb Bailly Maguire Shaw
Fred
Pogba Bruno
Rashford Cavani Martial

Greenwood
Matić
Telles

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Gea
Wan Bissaka Bailly Maguire Shaw
Matic Fred
Rashford Bruno Pogba
Cavani
Lindelof, McTominay, Martial the 3. Van de Beek and Telles are new and haven't settled in fully yet or played enough yet to make it in over these.

IMO, Matic was an excellent partner to Fred but also provided a lot more composure on the ball than McTominay, similar physicality, less energy but better organization and positioning as well as getting the ball to the attackers in better positions. Rashford on the right is best for our team balance. Pogba has to get in somewhere, and on the left he can do quite well. Cavani is the clear striker. Martial's form has fallen off a cliff this year, but is a brilliant rotation option.

davidmichael

Does Telles get in based on his Porto form?
Telles being around has lit a fire under Shaw so he gets in based on that but also like I said with everyone 100% fit and at their absolute best, Shaw could move over to centre back with Telles playing left back in this hypothetical situation too.

Raveneye

AWB, Bailly, Maguire, Shaw

Pogba Fred

Bruno

Diallo (cuz I'm KG reckless about him) Rashford

Martial

Cavani, Matic and Telles as the three most important bench players. Cavani is the more in-form striker but I am against playing him for 90 minutes regularly given his age and injury record. Keep him fresh and hungry. Matic can shore up defense when needed and Telles covers for Shaw or Bailly in case either gets injured.

Bondi77

Telles being around has lit a fire under Shaw so he gets in based on that but also like I said with everyone 100% fit and at their absolute best, Shaw could move over to centre back with Telles playing left back in this hypothetical situation too.
How does Martial get in front of Cavani then and surely VDB makes the bench on his Ajax form?

davidmichael

How does Martial get in front of Cavani then and surely VDB makes the bench on his Ajax form?
I think Martial at his absolute best is better for how we play than Cavani although right now Cavani is a better option because Martial is horrifically out of form whilst I’ve never seen the absolute best of VDB but if you’ve got only 3 subs then I’d go McTominay because you’ve already got Fernandes and Pogba on the pitch.

TrustInOle

DDG
AWB.....Lindelof....Maguire....Shaw
McFred
Pogba.....Bruno.....Rashford
Cavani​
Subs: Telles, Donny, Martial

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
De Gea
Wan Bissaka Bailly Maguire Shaw
Matic Fred
Rashford Bruno Pogba
Cavani
Lindelof, McTominay, Martial the 3. Van de Beek and Telles are new and haven't settled in fully yet or played enough yet to make it in over these.

IMO, Matic was an excellent partner to Fred but also provided a lot more composure on the ball than McTominay, similar physicality, less energy but better organization and positioning as well as getting the ball to the attackers in better positions. Rashford on the right is best for our team balance. Pogba has to get in somewhere, and on the left he can do quite well. Cavani is the clear striker. Martial's form has fallen off a cliff this year, but is a brilliant rotation option.
I don't know if this is a coincidence or if it's by design, but Ole typically plays a left footer and right footer to partner each other in midfield. So it's typically Matic and Pogba or McTominay and Fred. This past week we saw Pogba and Fred. It's very rare (I can't recall it ever happening) that we see a midfield of Fred and Matic or Pogba and McTominay in the 4-2-3-1

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't know if this is a coincidence or if it's by design, but Ole typically plays a left footer and right footer to partner each other in midfield. So it's typically Matic and Pogba or McTominay and Fred. This past week we saw Pogba and Fred. It's very rare (I can't recall it ever happening) that we see a midfield of Fred and Matic or Pogba and McTominay in the 4-2-3-1
Our best run last season before lockdown came with Matic, Fred and Bruno as the midfield as McTominay and Pogba were injured. Matic and Fred are quite a good pair.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
De Gea
AWB
Bailly
Maguire
Shaw
Matic
Pogba
Bruno
Rashford
Cavani
Martial

Greenwood
Fred
McT

DDG
AWB.....Lindelof....Maguire....Shaw
McFred
Pogba.....Bruno.....Rashford
Cavani​
Subs: Telles, Donny, Martial
that’s very close to what I would have. Same starting 11 but I’d change DVDB for Matic.

I might keep Telles, or change him for Tuanzebe who has far more flexibility.

Dve

At the beginning of last season, Ole´s preferred duo in the middle was Pogba and McTominay.